• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hamas terrorists infiltrated Israel. 1400+ killed, 2400+ wounded, 240+ abducted. Israel declares war

Status
Not open for further replies.
So after the BBC continues to refuse to call Hamas terrorists, with it's preferred word 'militants', and after backlash from the UK Government that does proscribe Hamas as terrorists and a lot of back lash from other people. Such as throwing red paint 'blood' all over their entrances as a form of protest, they publish a weak non apology 'excuses'. This includes them blaming Israel on the Hospital incident.

It's pathetic. Link and full text below.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/articles/2023/how-bbc-is-covering-israel-gaza

How the BBC is covering Israel-Gaza​

Deborah Turness

Deborah TurnessCEO, BBC News and Current Affairs
Published: 25 October 2023
I could not be prouder of the BBC’s journalists and our journalism.
Over the past few days we have produced truly powerful coverage from inside Gaza, from Israel and from the wider region.
Delivering our trusted journalism is vital, and never more so than now. This war is one of the most complex and polarising stories we have ever had to cover. Many people have extremely strong feelings about media coverage - especially the BBC’s. As I’ve said before, it’s because the BBC matters that what we say - and don’t say - matters so much. At times of conflict the BBC becomes a lightning conductor - and this war has once again seen us challenged by all sides.
So I want to take this opportunity to lay out transparently how we are listening to those who criticise our work, and how we are responding.
We have faced criticism and complaints that we are biased both for and against Israel, and for and against the Palestinians. We cannot afford to simply say that if both sides are criticising us, we’re getting things right. That isn’t good enough for the BBC or for our audiences. At the BBC we hold ourselves to a higher standard and rightly challenge ourselves to listen to our critics and consider what changes to make where we think that criticism is fair.
The trust of our audiences must always be our priority - and it’s important that we listen to them. We are constantly monitoring audience feedback on our coverage of this war, and it tells us audiences think the BBC remains the most impartial UK news source. Internationally we have seen hundreds of millions of people come to BBC News for trusted information in a confusing and chaotic time.
Maintaining that trust requires constant care, thoughtfulness and an open mind as we navigate the unique set of challenges reporting on this war places in our path.
And while we strive to hold true to our 100-year commitment to impartiality, we of course sometimes get it wrong. That’s when it’s important to acknowledge where we could have done better, and to learn from any mistakes. This is a fast-moving story, there are claims and counter-claims, and our journalists are reporting in difficult and dangerous conditions, often live on air. In the hundreds of hours we broadcast and millions of words we publish, there will be moments when we fall short and we have already shown that we own our errors and apologise for them. We posted a correction after we wrongly speculated about the likely cause of the Al-Ahli hospital explosion, as we also did when we misleadingly described pro-Palestinian demonstrations as ‘demonstrations…during which people voiced their backing for Hamas’.
Accepting where we have failed to reach our own high standards is important, and we know it protects trust with audiences who have told us that putting it right when we get it wrong is important to them.
In the moments after the Al-Ahli hospital explosion - contrary to many reports - the BBC did not claim that the Israelis were responsible for the attack. We, along with many other reputable media organisations, reported initial claims by Palestinian officials and eye-witnesses at the hospital that this was an Israeli air strike, with hundreds feared dead. We attributed the claim to those making it. We quickly sought a response from the IDF. As soon as the Israeli authorities countered those claims, we prominently and consistently reported their position.
However, we acknowledge there is more we can do to increase clarity and accuracy in breaking news. As a result, we are putting in place some additional safeguards around how we attribute and describe sources and information in our coverage of this war.

How we attribute claims​

We increasingly communicate with audiences - at speed - through short digital breaking news alerts and headlines; social media posts; news channel and on-screen tickers and straplines; and live updates, across all our platforms.
Where there is a risk of an incomplete picture, we will work to deliver greater clarity.
This means, wherever possible, starting an alert, strapline or headline with the source of the claim, rather than the claim itself, especially on contentious claims or reports of deaths. So instead of ‘Hundreds killed, X claims’, we will start ‘X claims hundreds killed’.

How we describe sources​

We will also give more information around what we know about the source of the claims being made, and any affiliations they might have.
We do not assume that information from every source is accurate, and we will increase transparency in sharing what the BBC knows and does not know, and how we are trying to verify claims or material.

Our use of language​

Our use of language is also a hotly-debated topic, and one which is of great importance to our audiences. The BBC uses the word ‘terrorist’ with attribution. When we mention Hamas, we make it clear, where possible, that they are a proscribed terrorist organisation by the UK government and others. We are also using the phrases ‘terror attack’ and ‘act of terror’ with attribution.
As has been reported, we have moved away from using the word ‘militant’ as a default description of Hamas or Hezbollah fighters. But we don’t ban words, and there may be times now or in the future when it’s appropriate to use the term.
We also need to think carefully about how we talk about civilian deaths, and how the language we use may, unintentionally, give the impression we view some deaths as more important than others or treat people on either side differently. A tweet which said people ‘died’ in Gaza and ‘were killed’ in Israel has been widely used as an example of this. It’s important that we all think carefully about the language we use to avoid creating a false impression.
At times like this our audiences need us more than ever, and we are listening and responding as we cover this war. The world desperately needs accurate information and trustworthy reporting. We will continue to do what we have always done: to work without fear or favour and report what we see.

This absolutely wicked, abhorrent, false religion of Islam, founded by a warmongering pedarist, is a scourge on the planet Earth. It is pure deception. Abolish it now.

Personnaly, I'm for getting rid of everything religion related from public space. Only keep a couple of churches as museums etc... Yes, even without religion we'll still be killing eachother, but this shit is pure fantasy and we shouldn't be teaching this garbage expect in history classes.

I hate that my daughter's school has mandatory religion lessons because it's a catholic school. Sadly it's the only option if I want a school that still has a little resemblance of a western school.

Last edited:

Kenpachii

Personnaly, I'm for getting rid of everything religion related from public space. Only keep a couple of churches as museums etc... Yes, even without religion we'll still be killing eachother, but this shit is pure fantasy and we shouldn't be teaching this garbage expect in history classes.

I hate that my daughter's school has mandatory religion lessons because it's a catholic school. Sadly it's the only option if I want a school that still has a little resemblance of a western school.

Major reason why my parents send me to one.

FunkMiller

Yeah… not gonna happen all the time there’s an extremely religious western nation with lots of power.

winjer

Gold Member
No, cold war requires at least two adversaries. Right now we don't have any superpower aside USA. China is not the one and its economy is also in trouble.

I think we are going back to imperial era where we have bigger and smaller, weaker and stronger countries creating mess worldwide. And we are also going backwards. Russia, Turkey, Middle East, some western powers are going back to more conservative, backwards thinking. Italy, Poland, Hungary etc.

Russia's economy wasn't on the same level as the USA during the Cold War.
And the Cold War wasn't just 2 sides. There were also the non-aligned countries. Which strongly opposed being forced into picking a side.
But even in the communist and capitalist camps, there was dissent. For example, France left NATO. And Tito in Yugoslav even threatened Stalin.
And China even sided with the USA, in several countries, against the USSR.

There were also the non-aligned countries.
Aside certain countries there were two blocks - soviet (communist) and american (western). Some countries were essentially battle ground between USSR and USA (coups etc.) and some were trading their loyalty.
But we don't have that now. We don't have countries vastly more powerful than other countries anymore. That era is over.

Now we several global projects happening and various conflicts where it is not possible to align yourself with any specific power anymore unlike during the Cold War where it was either "USSR pls help" or "USA pls help". Only islam is trying to do something like that, but it is nowhere near real ideology at this point like "freedom" or "fairness". Yet at least.

Anyway it is a big topic, but by and large we closer to 19th century at this point than 20th. Hell, we have even some pieces of middle ages too. Anyway, it does not matter. It is a mess. And it will be a mess.

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member
Aside certain countries there were two blocks - soviet (communist) and american (western). Some countries were essentially battle ground between USSR and USA (coups etc.) and some were trading their loyalty.
But we don't have that now. We don't have countries vastly more powerful than other countries anymore. That era is over.

The Non-Aligned movement was almost a third of the world's countries.
It was a major political movement during the Cold War.

c64Qohe.png

Yes, the Cold War is over, but we are entering a new era of polarization, and this war between Hamas and Israel is bound to become a new pivot point.
And we still have countries that are much more powerful that many others. Just look at the Belt and Road initiative from China. They got so far as to get strong influence in countries that were before under Russian sphere. And influence in some EU countries.
And all the dealings with the USA goes so far as to have an alliance with countries like Vietnam and Indonesia. Two countries that some decades ago, strongly opposed the US.

nkarafo

But we've been told the "lunatic" islamists are so obvious they easily stand out.

The "lunatic" islamists do stand out because they are loud and obnoxious. But that's the only difference between them and the rest of the islamists, the so called "peaceful" ones. But they all still want the same things. That is to change the western world to their own standards, Sharia law, oppression, less human rights, etc.

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
These two tweets are must-reads:

He's right, most of Israelis don't want to deal with this shit. We want to live our lives, let the Palestinians live their lives, and move on in peace. Yes, some have become so ingrained in this that they forgot occupying people is corrosive to our culture. We had so many peace songs, peace assemblies, Izhak Rabin was murdered by a right-winger after singing for peace in a huge assembly.

But there's no turning back now. What they've done, the suffering, the butchering. That wasn't humane. And we should not treat them as human.

Toots

Gold Member
Despicable behaviour. Gen Z is fucked, makes me want the old men in power as long as possible.
Off topic but I hate old men with all my heart, they are the reason the world is so fucked up and we cannot do anything about it.
As much as this behaviour is fucked and abhorent, the old men might have something to do with it.
They might have something to do with how the young ones are educated.
They might even want to botch this education, so the next generation isn't capable of autonomy and the old men stay in control.
The old men in the US and Gaza send young men to die for a cause they don't really care about. You bet your ass it is old men who decided to massacre civilians in Israel.

A great french writer, Anatole France (you can't make that up :messenger_grinning_sweat: ) said about this :
"One thinks he dies for his country, but he's really dying for industrialists" (or politicians in quatar eating well while you starve because of their decisions)

Then again there's no excuse for this type of fascistic behavior and any human being with half a brain cell could understand why no one should ever act like this.

FunkMiller

China has the best weapon in the world. TikTok should've been banned.

I'd say more so that that is that we have to recognise as a society that social media is a hive of misinformation. TikTok is particularly egregious because of who owns it, but all social media platforms are cess pits of disinformation and bullshit. You either have to ban none, or all for things to change.

Wildebeest

China has the best weapon in the world. TikTok should've been banned.

TikTok should be banned and politics should be regulated tighter than a gnat's chuff on American platforms like facebook, twitter and youtube. The WW2 generation set up an era of impartiality in news media and clarity of political advertising on radio and TV for a reason. It's how fascism got in.

BlackTron

I'd say more so that that is that we have to recognise as a society that social media is a hive of misinformation. TikTok is particularly egregious because of who owns it, but all social media platforms are cess pits of disinformation and bullshit. You either have to ban none, or all for things to change.

Good luck with the 18-24 crowd.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
An excellent summation by somebody who clearly understands the situation.
That’s exactly my take on the whole situation, the Israelis don’t want this shit, they want to go to work, have kids and live in peace with their neighbours but the Palestinians don’t want to live in peace with their neighbours and cant seem to get it into their fucking heads that Israel isn’t going to go anywhere, so you either learn to live with them or you constantly fight an unwinnable fight that does nothing but makes things infinitely worse for the Palestinians and does nothing more than simply inconveniences the Israelis..

Gaza was doing “ok” all things considered over the last few years, Hamas had seemed to want to actually govern and in return Israel rewarded them and if this path had simply continued, things would’ve gotten better over time, Israel would’ve normalised relations with its neighbours who in turn would’ve used this leverage to make their lives even better and it would’ve been a win win all round considering and then they went all ISIS… and now yet again the Palestinians find themselves back to dodging airstrikes and their lives reset back to the fucking stoneage and for what??

Honestly I hate to see the bodies of any kid pulled from rubble or any parent in anguish over a dead child but c’mon for fucks sakes you keep doing this to yourselves and allowing those who govern you to keep you in this perpetual state of war against an “enemy” you have no hope of ever defeating

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
The issue is that in the West you see some people justify the ISIS of Hamas, because they think it boils down to brown vs. white, even though 57% Jewish Israelis are not white.

The ugly truth is that the ongoing conflict is useful for a variety of interests, politically, economically, and emotionally.

The first two have always been with us because they serve to gain power, but the emotional aspect is the most troubling as it leads to irrationality, the literal sleep of reason which gives birth to monsters.

This phenomenon of rage by internet/media proxy is in my opinion an existential threat to humanity.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
`def about Israel

This should be sending up so many flags for schools to see this footage. Aside from how wicked the strength of anti-Semitism is, there's another rather disturbing thing about this. Schools have tried beefing up their security big time namely after the events that transpired April 20th 1999 at Columbine High School in Littleton, CO. That too was a form of terrorism -- domestic terrorism. The vast majority of murders took place in the library of Columbine High School.

People are not even connecting those dots? Wow. It's only a matter of time before one of these "peaceful protestors" does pull a gun...

Parents here may want to consider home schooling for the time. This is a major security breach and why is no one point that out?

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
All the widespread anti-Semitism is really no different than cities with onslaughts of tent cities, rampant looting or druggies.

You got to crack down on this stuff early and fast. If not, then it just encourages people to keep doing dumb shit knowing the cops and gov wont do anything about it. Who cares if 5 people in 50,000 get arrested or get fired from their job. That doesn't move the needle. And the more it festers the harder it is to control. Pretty sure it's easier to control 10 tents than 1000 tents. When you got schools who allow their students to go ape shit crusading against Jewish people, it's one part shocking how dumb kids are, and one part lazy education boards not wanting to control the kids.

Now if gov is purposely not wanting to do enforce it because they got no manpower or are being political letting havoc run it's course for sake of votes or being scared to punish people "because it's bad PR", that's different.

Gov needs to have the balls to enforce hate rhetoric, and companies should be going full cancel culture on haters. That is what will deter hate marches.

Last edited:

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
The "lunatic" islamists do stand out because they are loud and obnoxious. But that's the only difference between them and the rest of the islamists, the so called "peaceful" ones. But they all still want the same things. That is to change the western world to their own standards, Sharia law, oppression, less human rights, etc.
I'm unsure why the same apologist finds what you posted here funny. They all still want the same things. And that ultimately is every nation to be under Sharia.

Indeed, the majority of people on earth will always detest Islam and choose not to live by theSharee’ah.

Allah (swt) says:“And most of mankind will not believe even if you desire it eagerly.” (EMQ Yoosuf,12: 103)

Therefore there are three main ways in which a state or country can become Daar ul-Islam (thedomain of Islam):

1. The majority of its citizens embrace Islam and implement the Sharee’ah on their ownaccord

2. A group of Muslims rise, overthrow the government and implement the Sharee’ah by force(coup)

3. The Islamic state carries out Jihaad as its foreign policy and removes the governmentIf the Muslims are unable to convince their people (e.g. through peaceful da’wah) to embraceIslam and implement the Sharee’ah, it then becomes an obligation upon them to make hijrahand unite (build their own community and execute the Sharee’ah over themselves) and then riseagainst the government by force at a later date, regardless of whether they are the majority orthe minority.

Allah (swt) says:
“Rule by what Allah has revealed (the Qur’aan and Sunnah) and do not follow theirvain desires, but be aware of them lest they turn you far away from some of thatwhich Allah has sent down to you…” (EMQ al-Maa-idah, 5: 49)

Source

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
This was a skit done in Israel, I find it funny, esp the correspondent name. Parts of it are in Hebrew.

Last edited:

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Look who decided to do some journalism

They did attempt some tricky wording in there to attempt to shake their head at Israel though.

"Much of the money is public and legal, including large sums of financial aid from Qatar via the United Nations, an arrangement encouraged and approved by Israel. The Qatari aid covers the salaries of civil servants, buys fuel for the power grid and provides cash to needy families."

Full article

They admit that ~300million - ~500million is Qatari approved via the U.N. but couldn't resist attempting to blame Israel with "arrangement encouraged approved." That's why I can only take some of these journalists with a grain of salt. There are certain facts but, there's so much whitewashing / censorship or subtle anti-Semitism in the major news outlets; it's really hard for me to take any of them seriously.

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
They did attempt some tricky wording in there to attempt to shake their head at Israel though.

"Much of the money is public and legal, including large sums of financial aid from Qatar via the United Nations, an arrangement encouraged and approved by Israel. The Qatari aid covers the salaries of civil servants, buys fuel for the power grid and provides cash to needy families."

Full article

They admit that ~300million - ~500million is Qatari approved via the U.N. but couldn't resist attempting to blame Israel with "arrangement encouraged approved." That's why I can only take some of these journalists with a grain of salt. There are certain facts but, there's so much whitewashing / censorship or subtle anti-Semitism in the major news outlets; it's really hard for me to take any of them seriously.
I'm afraid that's prob true. Look, Israel hoped that Hamas will start governing at some point and maybe stop being a terror org, at least I think that was the hope. And by approving the money, it would make them want to move Gazans forward. Israel also gave 15K Gazans work permits in the same hope. Clearly now they understand that Hamas is a terror org not a government.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
I'm afraid that's prob true. Look, Israel hoped that Hamas will start governing at some point and maybe stop being a terror org, at least I think that was the hope. And by approving the money, it would make them want to move Gazans forward. Israel also gave 15K Gazans work permits in the same hope. Clearly now they understand that Hamas is a terror org not a government.
If it was the case, it's clear to me that they've learned from this. I've been following the news on the '2 state' or 'peace' negotiations for only about 3-years now. Then you go back to the history on how many times Palestine shot down the offers and kept reverting back to 'from the river to the sea;' well...Israel did try their best for a solution. Seems to me that with the work permits that Israel was certainly giving Gazans a bigger chance than Hamas...always. Hamas and previous governing powers in the Palestinian territories have historically suppressed their own peoples' rights, while Israel has done more to aide them. And we see the thanks Israel gets for that effort too. They're being blamed for everything and the majority of media is deliberately refusing to fact check or report the facts as they are as it relates to Gaza or the Hamas.

Doomtrain

Can someone summarize or link to something with more detail on how and when Israel has attempted peace negotiations? I'm only just learning about a lot of the history with this, and I think that would be good info for me to brush up on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom