• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hamas terrorists infiltrated Israel. 1400+ killed, 2400+ wounded, 240+ abducted. Israel declares war

Status
Not open for further replies.

cormack12

Gold Member
TBH in the UK for example, I didn't learn much about it at school. The holocaust was just a general societally known thing, so I picked up things about it growing up.

Battle of Hastings 1066 though??? Yeah, we learned all about that in school. They loved it in the UK.

You shouldn't have to learn about the Holocaust in school to have some basics understanding about it. This is a wider societal change.
How old are you? WWII was pretty much all we did from Key Stage 3 (partial) to GCSE. Medieval England and Magna Carta, Tudors, French Revolution, Hastings was all 1st/2nd year only? Just wondering if you're younger or older.....I did my GCSEs in 98.

What exam board was it? AQA?

Last edited:

Portugeezer

How old are you? WWII was pretty much all we did from Key Stage 3 (partial) to GCSE. Medieval England and Magna Carta, Tudors, French Revolution, Hastings was all 1st/2nd year only? Just wondering if you're younger or older.....I did my GCSEs in 98.

What exam board was it? AQA?
33 so about 8 years younger than you I take it, and History wasn't (still isn't?) a mandatory subject for GSCE's.

My school was also shit, so there's that. AQA, edexcel, all that stuff.

Last edited:

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
I thought everyone did it to make sure nothing so fucking appalling ever had the chance to take roots again. It sickens me and makes me think there's just no hope past this generation. Genuinely.
Used to at least when I was a kid. Wasn't a holocaust survivor but a WWll vet. Years later when I was nearly in college we had a survivor from the tower 2 WTC come in. Very clearly called it a war on terror too.

Dr.Morris79

TBH in the UK for example, I didn't learn much about it at school. The holocaust was just a general societally known thing, so I picked up things about it growing up.
How old are you Geezer?

I was in secondary school in the 90's and we had a whole module on the Holocaust. My son has WW2 next year, I wonder if they've phased it out completely...

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Used to at least when I was a kid. Wasn't a holocaust survivor but a WWll vet. Years later when I was nearly in college we had a survivor from the tower 2 WTC come in. Very clearly called it a war on terror too.
Yep. In HS (mid 90s USA) we had Holocaust survivors come to speak in our Sophomore (10th grade) world history class in which the entire year was devoted to WW2 and the Holocaust.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
To be fair I just watched the press conference and it isn't 'officially' clear what happened.
Serious The Four GIF by Diddy

FUBARx89

33 so about 8 years younger than you I take it, and History wasn't (still isn't?) a mandatory subject for GSCE's.

Wierd. I'm a yr older than you and we did alot to do with WW2 & the Holocaust.

North East England.

cormack12

Gold Member

No, history wasn't mandatory where I was but the exams we took were based on what class you were in. It was usually a choice between Geography and History with only the brainiacs allowed to do both. That's almost a decade between us so the syllabus *has* probably changed but I'm surprised they took WWII off and probably explains what we're seeing tbh. I thought that would be a mainstay like abortion in R.E. in faith schools. I'm not saying the crowds aren't made up of a lot of edgelords caught up in the current zeitgeist, but doing it in school gave you an appreciation of what actually happened and how grim it actually was.

I think we sat the MEG History papers. And they were split into higher papers and lower papers. I remember it because I'm from the North and it seemed odd sitting a Midland board paper when the rest were AQA. The school could always pick the paper the students sat/studied for but most, if not all, always chose the WWII/Germany papers for ther in depth papers. For example we did Medicine and Germany:

c562aP.jpg

With a broad topic base similar to this, with specific modules on the Jews, Kristallnacht, Holocaust

JtOzgM.jpg

oHz0Uq.jpg

Interestingly enough I just found this as well:

And this:
"Although World War Two was always a very popular, and usually well-taught, topic in primary schools, the government decided not to include it as a compulsory topic in the National Curriculum which came into effect in August 2014. Notwithstanding this decision, many schools have decided to carry on teaching it anyway, as it works."

I can understand WWII fatigue from an educator point of view, and as a kid would have welcomed a bit more diversity in our syllabus/curriculum but there are some modues you should still cover, and it makes sense to do them later in your education period as they are quite mature themes, but it is still compulsory to learn about at age 13/14:

The National Curriculum​

In England, by law children are to be taught about the Holocaust as part of the Key Stage 3 History curriculum; in fact, the Holocaust is the only historical event whose study is compulsory on the National Curriculum. This usually occurs in Year 9 (age 13-14). While academy schools do not have to follow this syllabus, it is assumed that they will deliver Holocaust education as part of a “balanced and broadly based” curriculum.

KS3 usually feeds right into the GCSE modules as well. Of course we are seeing the rise of academy schools, which are usually populated by NQTs (i.e. newly qualified undergrads with a QTS - maybe a PGCE too, more prone to having activist views), so maybe that has had an impact?

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
For comparison Fox News headline:
'Elderly Jewish man dies after confrontation with pro-Palestinian protestor at California rally"
Witnesses said he was hit over the head with the megaphone. There is video of him on the ground bleeding from the wounds. Gosh forbid they leave out news worthy information they normally don't.

Last edited:

Dural

My impression has been that in USA schools they teach only american history and for a lot of people world history has begun in 18th century. At least when discussing stuff, I constantly feel from the talking points as if the world history started when USA was founded and before that nothing happened.

There's US History and there's World History, not sure why so many from outside the US think we only learn US History in school. Hell I even had an Asian History class in High School, though that was an elective.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins

Battle of Hastings 1066 though??? Yeah, we learned all about that in school. They loved it in the UK.

You shouldn't have to learn about the Holocaust in school to have some basics understanding about it. This is a wider societal change.

We absolutely covered WW2 in my school, including the Holocaust. Pretty sure it was in Year 9, which was 1998 - 1999 for me.

South West England.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Yep. In HS (mid 90s USA) we had Holocaust survivors come to speak in our Sophomore (10th grade) world history class in which the entire year was devoted to WW2 and the Holocaust.
History wasn't something schools were cancelling back then. As someone said to me recently, '...most American youth today seem to have this idea that there was 2020 and the only thing prior was 1950.' 19-teens and a whole lotta other decades just didn't happen coz' they weren't there.
To be fair I just watched the press conference and it isn't 'officially' clear what happened.
That's the majority who've done nothing to stop the pro-Palestine pro-Hamas crowds. Of course it's not official to them. When children were raped and beheaded it wasn't 'officially' clear even with hard evidence. 🙄

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
History wasn't something schools were cancelling back then. As someone said to me recently, '...most American youth today seem to have this idea that there was 2020 and the only thing prior was 1950.' 19-teens and a whole lotta other decades just didn't happen coz' they weren't there.

That's the majority who've done nothing to stop the pro-Palestine pro-Hamas crowds. Of course it's not official to them. When children were raped and beheaded it wasn't 'officially' clear even with hard evidence. 🙄
It's almost like it's been institutionalized (cancel culture, especially history cancerization and revisionisms) in hopes to repeat itself one day. :unsure:

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
It's almost like it's been institutionalized (cancel culture, especially history cancerization and revisionisms) in hopes to repeat itself one day. :unsure:
And here we are watching that history which we were warned about.
Honestly one of the worst things to come out of covid was normalising face covering by shithouses.
Come on now, these masks are selling like wildfire on Amazon. Pro-palestine defenders buy them up as the official Hamas fart mask.
81eO3FC.jpg

No need for picketing. Just connect to the mouth or butt of any terrorist supporter and now they can get a big whiff. Warning: Maybe cause permanent brain damage

Last edited:

Portugeezer

We absolutely covered WW2 in my school, including the Holocaust. Pretty sure it was in Year 9, which was 1998 - 1999 for me.

South West England.
Wierd. I'm a yr older than you and we did alot to do with WW2 & the Holocaust.

North East England.
Mind you, my North London schools idea of a humanities lesson was to watch a blockbuster film vaguely related to the subject, and no, not just at the end of the terms 🤣

Come on now, these masks are selling like wildfire on Amazon. Pro-palestine defenders buy them up as the official Hamas fart mask.
81eO3FC.jpg

No need for picketing. Just connect to the mouth or butt of any terrorist supporter and now they can get a big whiff. Warning: Maybe cause permanent brain damage
In 2023, I sadly can't tell whether that's to smell you other-halves farts even more deeply, directly from the source.

The times we live in.

ProtoByte

Weeb Underling
The damage Tamoor Hussain and Rami Ismail are doing is insane, their Twitter accounts are propaganda feeds. And my god, this video. Please raise money for the children of Gaza, that's an honorable cause. But why do a propaganda video that will only add to Jew hatred? They have blood in their eyes.

It saddens me that these are the only voices in the video games industry on the subject matter. Neil Druckmann posted an "I stand with Israel" post on Twitter and then deleted it from all the hate he got, but these guys get to spread propaganda.

Daily reminder that games media is full to the brim with human filth and dumbasses.

I really do wonder what Druckmann thinks about all this, knowing what so many of his Californian colleagues think of his birth country.

cormack12

Gold Member

81eO3FC.jpg

eHnCkK.gif

Portugeezer Portugeezer Fun fact, my R.E. teacher in school was a dwarf, and when we had free lessons she often put videos on. And for some reason she always put fucking Willow on. Was proper awkward.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Daily reminder that games media is full to the brim with human filth and dumbasses.

I really do wonder what Druckmann thinks about all this, knowing what so many of his Californian colleagues think of his birth country.
It better be an eye opening experience for him. That the very extremist led culture he helped cultivate into the medium, is now showing their total clowns show idiocy.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
It better be an eye opening experience for him. That the very extremist led culture he helped cultivate into the medium, is now showing their total clowns show idiocy.
I think there have been 3 'Tweets or Xs...(whatever they're called now) from Druckmann.

-His first stance was he didn't support the attacks on Israel.
-Gets backlash and redacts.
...I forget his second commentary.
-Now, he's virtue signalling the 'both sides' rhetoric

Next post will likely have something with Islamaphobia and/or ceasefire

Last edited:
The decay of Western values and American influence after years is starting to show and it's pretty fucking bleak. Not every ideology deserves a place at the table, this has been proven over and over. The Jewish hatred showing its face again is just the bottom of the barrel, we have regressed as a civlization.

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
The decay of Western values and American influence after years is starting to show and it's pretty fucking bleak. Not every ideology deserves a place at the table, this has been proven over and over. The Jewish hatred showing its face again is just the bottom of the barrel, we have regressed as a civlization.
I don't want to derail, but I think something is lost. I don't feel like we've gotten actual breakthrough tech in the past decade or so. It seems like we iterate on things, making them better, but nothing breakthrough that changes the paradigm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom