• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT4| The warsong has ended, please patron other decks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Woot woot.
123.jpg
Even if I end the season under I still get them rewards right? >.<

zoukka

Not going to happen because it's Paladin only.

Dr Balanced is notorious because he's a neutral and thus very common.

Mysterior Challenger is like a new Mad Scientist only slower.

It's the new Dr boom but paladin exclusive. Card is broken as fuck.

Razakin

It's the new Dr boom but paladin exclusive. Card is broken as fuck.
How is it broken when it requires paladins actually drop some cards from the deck for those secrets so Challenger can draw and put them on battlefield? And most troublesome paladin secret is Avenge and you can play around that too, depending how the board is.

I will be surprised to see if paladins will start using that card on their decks.

Edit: Forgot about that thinning of deck part, guess that might give edge.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
For sure but it's still a fucking 6/6 for 6 mana that digs for THREE cards. That's completely insane and op.
Blizzard has been pretty clear over time that they will take increasingly large measures to make their desired deck archetypes work.

People laugh when they see things like Pirates or Beast Druid, but just wait until Blizzard gets frustrated.

inky

I don't laugh. I'm genuinely worried.

I think they've been getting better at diversifying strategies, like Totem focus for Shamans instead of doubling down on murlocs. I expect to see more of that next expansion, but as long as other stuff is still viable I can accept it.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
"Awwwwwwwww yeah, maddest scientist."

::Opening hand Noble Sacrifice, Avenge, Repentence::

rage.gif

Cipherr

As someone who loves secrets, I cant tell what you all are talking about but it sounds good. I just hit reddit and the first card is a shaman board clear with 5 overload. Holy shat.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
"Awwwwwwwww yeah, maddest scientist."

::Opening hand Noble Sacrifice, Avenge, Repentence::

rage.gif

Yeah I think you'd actually only run four secrets, two of Avenge, one of Repentance, and one of Competitive Spirit.

Even if you're only pull out two secrets with Mysterious Challenger, it's still good.

squidyj

For sure but it's still a fucking 6/6 for 6 mana that digs for THREE cards. That's completely insane and op.

here's the real problem compared to something like mad scientist, if you play them both on curve this comes out 4 draws later in the game than scientist and since it's paladin secrets, the value you get out of getting just 1 secret off of him is generally quite low, so you really need to get a few secrets, so you also have to not draw your secrets before he gets played which seems much iffier than mad scientist.

Because you have to have all these secrets in your deck in order to get value out of him but you don't actually ever want to draw any of them because they're generally all bad cards, and yet he doesn't come down in the first couple of turns of the game meaning you have a reasonable probability of drawing one or more of the secrets you want him to put into play for you.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Shadow Fiend is basically a 2 drop for priest. If you start with it in hand, you can play it turn 2 for 1 mana, or coin it out turn 1. If your draw it turn 1, it will cost 2 mana on turn 2. The only way you couldn't use it as a 2 drop is if you top deck it turn 2 (Plus you can't coin it out if your draw it turn 1).

Haly

DrKirby, I didn't address this in the DOTA thread because it's kind of pointless there but you're reading Shadowfiend wrong, I'm 99% certain.

This is a Thaurissan effect. It reduces the mana of cards as you draw them, not its own cost. The ideal play with this is:

Turn 4
Shadowfiend
Power Word: Shield on fiend

gutshot

Shadow Fiend is basically a 2 drop for priest. If you start with it in hand, you can play it turn 2 for 1 mana, or coin it out turn 1. If your draw it turn 1, it will cost 2 mana on turn 2. The only way you couldn't use it as a 2 drop is if you top deck it turn 2 (Plus you can't coin it out if your draw it turn 1).

That's not how it works. It reduces the cost of cards you draw while it is in play by 1. It's like a mini-Emperor.

squidyj

DrKirby, I didn't address this in the DOTA thread because it's kind of pointless there but you're reading Shadowfiend wrong, I'm 99% certain.

This is a Thaurissan effect. It reduces the mana of cards as you draw them, not its own cost. The ideal play with this is:

Turn 4
Shadowfiend
Power Word: Shield on fiend

board with maybe 4 damaged minions, turn 4, cleric, shadowfiend, circle of healing.

then turn 5 you play the emperor you just drew ;)

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Hey Squid, if you're still interested in doing that stream let me know and I'll PM you my skype info.

kinger256

Unlike mad scientist, you have to wait till turn 5/6 to play the paladin secret minion, increasing the chances of drawing secrets. And having a hand full of rubbish paladin secrets will lose you the game.

Santiako

The bad thing about Mysterious Challenger is that they can only keep making shit Paladin secrets or this card will become too good.

Dahbomb

Yeah that card would be broken in Mages but in Paladin it's just short of that.

The question becomes how many secrets do you want in the deck for that to be worth it? I think Avenge and that new Paladin secrets are obvious includes but anything aside from that is iffy. Since it comes out later it means you might have more secrets in hand if you filled your deck with secrets.

Some Mage decks play 3-4 secrets, I think Paladin can get away with having a 5th one in there.

My take on the card dump:

Druid: Knight of the wild is good in arena. Rest are not going to get played.
Hunter: Acidmaw is more ball of spiders synergy. Maybe in arena. Rest are not going to get played.
Mage: Dalaran Aspirant is a great arena card to synergise with blizzard.
Paladin: Competitive spirit and mysterious challenger are strong in a deck that might not get played and can never get better now.
Priest: Shadowfiend is maybe good enough in constructed, certainly great in arena. Wyrmrest is great in dragon priest, which might almost be good enough now.
Rogue: Buccaneer looks great. But isn't a pirate???
Shaman: Mistcaller seems insanely strong. Elemental destruction is exactly what Shaman needs..if it didn't have the killer overload and rng. Will still probably get played because the other options are worse.
Warlock: Tiny knight of evil is good in a discard double fisting deck.
Warrior: Sparring partner is a great anti -aggro card.

Neutral: Twilight guardian is the dragon taunt we needed.

So I make it 13 usable cards out of the 50. 3 of which will only be good in arena.

I suppose that is ok.

V-Faction

soooo now that all the cards that have been revealed, what's everyone's favorite? playability, artwork, synergy or combo potential etc etc.

purely for artwork alone, and some interesting combos I think mine is confuse.

Justicar Trueheart is still my fav, can't wait to see it in action.

For classes, I love what Healing Wave brings to Shaman. It is also probably the best Joust card in the set.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Yeah that card would be broken in Mages but in Paladin it's just short of that.

The question becomes how many secrets do you want in the deck for that to be worth it? I think Avenge and that new Paladin secrets are obvious includes but anything aside from that is iffy. Since it comes out later it means you might have more secrets in hand if you filled your deck with secrets.

Some Mage decks play 3-4 secrets, I think Paladin can get away with having a 5th one in there.

Noble Sacrifice, Avenge, and Competitive Spirit would likely be good. You can make your turn 6 6/6 become a 10/9 if they try to remove. It will likely be hard for many enemies to kill it fully with both Avenge and Noble Sacrifice, unless they dedicate a lot of resources (Fireball into BGH comes to mind). And none of them are super weak to play if you draw into them.

There's something very wrong with Hearthpwn's images. A lot are missing the type.

Ah ok.

Overall my take on constructed:

Druid: Gets some really great late game options.... when they already had really great late game options. I can't see the class changing that much.
Warlock: After a week of people trying discards, it'll be handlock and zoo.
Priest: People will try dragon and combo priest again. Of the two, I'm thinking the latter might get more play. Otherwise control priest is still outclassed, the new legendary doesn't do enough. A midrange priest with the two 3 drop legendaries and buffs seems like the strongest new deck.
Shaman: Got everything it needed (draw/clear/totems) but everything still feels clunky. People will revisit the old decks and there might be "something" that comes out of it all, but I'm not optimistic.
Paladin: Aggro got even more annoying, especially with the +1/+1 secret. Expect to need a lot of silence targets to beat this and don't expect to see anything else from the class. The new legendary seems like an attempt to make people play secrets/control paladin instead of the eboladin type. But they also buffed eboladin massively amongst new crap slow decks...so you do the math.
Mage: I can't see Mage changing much, it'll just be some minor secret changes and adjustments to the meta.
Warrior: Patron obviously will destroy a lot of these "weak + inspire" minions. Assuming that is nerfed, you are looking at either an adjusted control deck, or a fatigue/armour warrior. The fatigue warrior worries me the most, With Justicar and garrison + all the other armour cards, you will get a metric fuck tonne of armour every game. It'll be the new strong deck.
Hunter: Face hunter and midrange will not change. Face hunter will face more challenge from the anti-aggro cards...but because I don't see many changes overall, people will continue to not actually play them and it will do well. Control Hunter continues to not exist, so expect some minor midrange changes and that'll be strong.

Conclusion. Not much changes, but Priest seems a lot more competitive, Paladin will be annoying as fuck and armour/fatigue warrior will be the meta change.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I feel Mistcaller is being over hyped. While he has a ton of value on paper, I'm not to sure how much you can make use of it. I guess we will see, but I don't see it getting much play.

V-Faction

Conclusion. Not much changes, but Priest seems a lot more competitive, Paladin will be annoying as fuck and armour/fatigue warrior will be the meta change.
Armor Warrior is the definitely the biggest threat. Potentially 8 armor a turn for 2 mana (or less). You basically just out live fatigue damage.

I feel Mistcaller is being over hyped. While he has a ton of value on paper, I'm not to sure how much you can make use of it. I guess we will see, but I don't see it getting much play.
I agree he's overhyped (folks just like seeing that 'affects your hand and whole deck' text), but he's definitely getting a spot in probably any theme of Shaman you can think of.

Raxus

It is great for traditional shamans but traditional shamans kind of blew so we'll have to wait and see.

People are really underrating mulch. Sap is one of the best cards in the game and it is a great addition druid needed to climb back up the ladder.

Haly

The fact that it destroys makes it not as good as Sap. Not even close.

Still decent, though.

inky

It is great for traditional shamans but traditional shamans kind of blew so we'll have to wait and see.

People are really underrating mulch. Sap is one of the best cards in the game and it is a great addition druid needed to climb back up the ladder.

Still triggers DRs. Nice tempo swing and top of the list considering Druid removals, but less consistent imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom