• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT4| The warsong has ended, please patron other decks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ladekabel

Have the quest where I have to deal 100 damage to the opponent. I made a Face Hunter deck. I feel dirty and I seem to suck at playing it. At least I don't get the Skill Command when I need or a Turn 2 Scientist which other Hunters always get, when I play against them.

Lumine

I just experienced what happens when a pirate rogue gets perfect draw and perfect juggles with ship's cannon.

I've never been destroyed so hard.

I tried Pirate Rogue shortly after TGT came out. It's a lot of fun actually. However it suffers from the same problem that other faster Rogue decks do too. Like Mech Rogue for example. If you have the perfect draw (and your opponent has no answers) it actually works. Every other time though you're just going to burn through your hand way too quick. At least Mech Rogue had the option for Jeeves. I'm not sure you can fit him in Pirate Rogue.

Rogue (and Shaman) really need a new card draw mechanic to keep up with the rest I think. Or perhaps the other ones (Divine Favour, etc.) need to be nerfed. :p

embalm

In 2 hours I jumped from Rank 10 to Rank 6 last night with the Warrior Tempo Patron deck. I went completely undefeated against Paladin and Hunters. It's similar to the deck posted last page. It's much more board focused so try to fight for control if you can.

2x Inner Rage
2x Execute
2x Whirlwind
2x Armorsmith
2x Fiery Waraxe
2x Cruel Taskmaster
2x Unstable Ghoul
2x Battle Rage
2x Acolyte of Pain
2x Fothing Berserker
2x Death's Bite
2x Axe Flinger
2x Grim Patron
1x Dr. Boom
1x Grommash Hellscream

The last two cards can be: Piloted Shredder, Harrison Jones, Slam, Loatheb, Bouncing Blade, or just about anything you want. I am running Harrison Jones and a Shredder.

I tossed in Axe Flinger for some fun variety and he became a surprising source of lethal damage for about half of my games. The opponent doesn't care to trade in multiple minions with it and taking the face damage, which leaves those minions at low health for whirlwind effects.

The Handlock matchup is absolutely terrible now. I can't find a way to finish them off.
The Control Warrior matchup comes down to their Brawls. If they get a great Brawl then they will probably win.
Hunter and Paladin were complete lights out stomps. I almost always won with 20+ health remaining.

NBtoaster

Patron was never very popular on ladder (sub-rank 5 at least) so I don't think there is much reason for the meta to suddenly change to be super aggro other than people just saying its more viable.

Patron was never very popular on ladder (sub-rank 5 at least) so I don't think there is much reason for the meta to suddenly change to be super aggro other than people just saying its more viable.

Patron still shuts down face decks pretty hard but according to people here the deck is gone. Meanwhile top players like xixo, strifecro, and probably others have shown the deck archetype is still viable without the blowout of frothings, which is something I argued when people were complaining about blizzard nerfing the "only" "skilled" deck.

embalm

Patron still shuts down face decks pretty hard but according to people here the deck is gone. Meanwhile top players like xixo, strifecro, and probably others have shown the deck archetype is still viable without the blowout of frothings, which is something I argued when people were complaining about blizzard nerfing the "only" "skilled" deck.
I agree the deck is totally viable. It was always viable without the OTK, it just had a better matchup against pure control decks because of the insane burst.

Removing Warsong Commander allows the deck to be more flexible. It uses the same cards and core strategy, but your opponent now has a turn to react before your run away with the game.
4 patrons is still hard to deal with on turn 5. Especially if you clear the opponents board.
A Frothing berserker can easily be pushed to 4+ attack just by playing it on curve, which demands a removal or you'll run away with the game.
The removal of bad draw like Gnomish Inventor and the Warsongs allows better mid-range cards like Shredder, Dr. Boom, or Belcher.
Grom still gives the deck 10+ burst damage.

I honestly think the deck is a lot more fun to play. There shouldn't be a turn where you pass and wait for combo pieces like in the original deck. It's much more proactive now.

Patron Warrior had to be changed, I think most can agree on that. If Warsong Commander also had to be destroyed completely is another matter, but whatever. I agree that this is probably the most aggressive I've ever seen the meta. Though there's still Dragon Priests, Control Warriors and I see more Handlocks than Zoolocks. Lots of Hunters though now, both face and mid-range. And an unhealthy amount of Paladins, some mid-range, a few more aggro, but by far most of them are Secret Paladin. Oh there's plenty of Tempo Mages as well. And finally there's of course Druid and both the aggro and mid-range version run double combo these days. Barely any Shamans or Rogues. Not sure if I forgot any popular class/decks.

So from my experience that's at least 3/4 aggro decks that I encountered over the past few days. It makes sense though, Patron Warrior is gone (for now), so the aggro decks show up to take advantage of that. And they already were very popular. Which also makes sense unfortunately. Ladder is a grind, so people are naturally attracted to the faster decks.

I'm not sure if this is the worst state the game has ever been in though. At least it doesn't feel like a single deck completely dominates the meta which has happened before as well. Also, Grim Patron was only just nerfed and the meta is continuously shifting.

So perhaps in a few weeks it will slow down a bit again. Hopefully.

Maybe Mysterious Challenger needs to be nerfed first. :p

Also I agree that Force of Nature + Savage Roar combo is a little too much. With Bloodlust Shaman for example you have to really fight for board control and find the right moment to play that Bloodlust. Which then also leaves for a pretty satisfying win. With Druid you only need the one minion, sometimes two, often nothing, to survive. Then you can just play the combo and easily get 20+ damage straight from hand. More if you have a 2nd Savage Roar with an Innervate or if you played Emperor before that. That is clearly too much. For the same reason Grim Patron Warrior just got nerfed.

Honestly, you're on a forum about a competitive game. Of course we're going to discuss
complain about
the meta in here. :p

Wait. Patron was nerfed??? I've been away a couple of weeks and miss this? Where can I read more?

Xanathus

They don't want that, that just happens because they can't balance stuff properly.

They say they don't want that, but they keep adding cards and making balance changes that directly support that play style. Just like how the US government says they want peace and stability in the Middle East but keep funding and arming terrorist factions.

Tacitus_

TFW you have lethal on board, but hunter topdecks owl and double skills you in the face... in arena

They say they don't want that, but they keep adding cards and making balance changes that directly support that play style. Just like how the US government says they want peace and stability in the Middle East but keep funding and arming terrorist factions.

Well they're both incompetent at achieving their aims, what else is new?

Xanathus

TFW you have lethal on board, but hunter topdecks owl and double skills you in the face... in arena

Well they're both incompetent at achieving their aims, what else is new?

When their actions consistently run directly counter to what they say, is it really incompetence or is it malice?

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I think they're very competent at achieving their aims.

Just, balance is not one of them. Player experience (as measured by game pace and accessibility) always comes first.

Tacitus_

When their actions consistently run directly counter to what they say, is it really incompetence or is it malice?

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity"

After playing WoW for.. so many years I dont want to count, I'll never underestimate their stupidity with balancing.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Blizzard has been very clear they want players taking actions pretty much every turn so that the game centers a lot more around aggro, mid-range, and soft control doesn't strike me as very surprising.

They also don't like people just whacking face every turn which is something they've worked against, but they certainly don't see to mind people playing lots of low cost minions.

Also between Hearthstone and Heroes of the Storm it's clear that they're working on raising Uther's reputation to mythical levels for his inevitable return in WoW.
:p

Danj

FINALLY got a Legendary out of a pack:

rTSkH2z.jpg

Keep or dust?

Pooya

LOL at this HS_arena, last man standing format with secret paly sure seems fair... sjow against Eloise's usual cancer decks. Hearthstone is so depressingly awful right now. So much for meta changing and exciting Blizzcon, whatever.

Keep or dust?

if one day control hunter becomes a thing maybe that card could be good, maybe. NO

embalm

Keep or dust?
Congrats on the dust!

The card was used in the Brawl before the release TGT. While the cards in the deck maybe didn't synergize with Acidmaw extremely well, it was more than enough for just about everyone to decide that the card wasn't great. Acidmaw is an easy card to dust.

LOL at this HS_arena, last man standing format with secret paly sure seems fair... sjow against Eloise's usual cancer decks. Hearthstone is so depressingly awful right now. So much for meta changing and exciting Blizzcon, whatever.

Yep, didn't matter that Eloise had an awful early game, MC completely turned the game all by itself

Cat Party

I read this thread and it's bitch bitch bitch bitch bitch bitch about 1-2 power decks.

I play the game and it's still fun and varied. Sometimes you lose bullshit games. Oh well. The way some of you get angry about it is weird.

VoxPop

Trying to think of some new fun decks to play with.

Currently running a Freeze Majordomo Mage but missing Alexstrasa.

Recently found a golden Malygos but Alex seems pretty crucial in a lot of these decks.

I gotta stop opening TGT packs.

Still need to find a ton of classic cards like Bloodmage Thalnos, Harrison, Alex, and Grommash.

squidyj

it's so good, nobody fears running out their 2/3 into a board with just cleric on it,
all the dragon taunts have such low attack too, you buff that 3/6 to a 5/6 suddenly it's one attack into the front half of belcher, or thaurissan or whatever.

it's also a 2/1 body for 1 for the aggro matchup compared to say pain which is 2 mana no body.

Danj

if one day control hunter becomes a thing maybe that card could be good, maybe. NO

Congrats on the dust!

The card was used in the Brawl before the release TGT. While the cards in the deck maybe didn't synergize with Acidmaw extremely well, it was more than enough for just about everyone to decide that the card wasn't great. Acidmaw is an easy card to dust.

Dust if you have any card you need. It might get some play in some wanky control hunter at some point, but that's pure conjecture now.

Okay awesome, thanks.

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
Guys i spent all of my gold today in order to get enough dust for justicar...and she's so worth it! The amount of armor you can generate is insane and can really turns things around vs aggro, also i learned today that sometimes the best play is to hero power pass, i fucked up today by giving a priest a voljin target when i put down belcher ugh.

some guy added me to trash talk my inclusion of an abusive sergeant in dragon priest....

after I used it to death his Ysera =D

I've done that before but with BGH in a Druid deck I was running. It's not terrible since there are a lot of annoying 5 attack minions out there. Also has the extra reach of adding two damage to everyone's favorite combo, Savage Force.

You guys want to nerf FoN + Roar? Why not just remove Druid altogether while you're at it? There's zero reason to play that class, otherwise. Some of you just need to l2p against Druid.

Pooya

Played against 3 secret paladins, damn no respect for frothing, lol at these people. Dude, trade your 1/1s into that thing while you can, you're really betting on me not having whirlwind? Sorry that happened. How are you rank 2 I have no idea... I actually do...

Dahbomb

We endured months of 4 mana Unleash + Buzzard bullshit
We played through half a year of Zoo being the straight up best deck at everything
We witnessed a ladder populated by >50% Face Hunter

And yet Blizzard has found a way to beat their own record. 100% braindead curvespam every single game. Midrange is nothing more than aggro with a few bombs. Combo and Control have finally been restricted to a single deck each with below-average matchups across the board. Absolute lowest fucking point this game has ever seen, and on top of that with their insane Paladin commons every single expansion they eventually fucked up arena even harder than it already was. Out of 211 arena games last month I faced 55 Mages and 52 Paladins - this month it's 14 Mages and 32 Paladins out of 72 games.

Well done, Benjamin Brodius. With no game lasting longer than 5 minutes now literally everyone can join the tempo coinflip fun and drag their green glowing cards onto the board/opponent's face during lunch break. Deck slot issue is solved as well because you only need Aggro Druid and Secredin anyway.
The salt is real.

Even though every single game is 100% braindead curvespam aggro/tempo games... at least there are different types of it!

Aggro Druid
Midrange Combo Druid
Secret Paladin (2 different types)
Eboladin
Tempo Mage
Mech Mage
Zoolock
Face/Hybrdid/Midrange Hunter
Dragon Priest
Mech Shaman
Tempo Patron Warrior

Look at all those flavors of aggro!

Pooya

You have Firebat, the world champion, casting this hs_arena, all of his comments are about SMorc. He knows better than most what the game is about. Drawing well and SMorc.

Why not just remove Druid altogether while you're at it?

Works for me. Get rid of Hunter too and we have a game!

Seriously though, I think the best nerf would be to stop the druid getting +2 attack as well. With the combo at 12 and only 3 tokens to attack with, it would still be great burst but would fit in with other similar options.

Dahbomb

The more I play the new Patron Warrior deck the more I am convinced that it is not in fact a good enough Secret Paladin counter.

Haunted

Can Blizzard slow down the meta? Is it even possible?

I think it's gotten faster every single patch. This might actually be the slowest it's been in a while.

Dahbomb

Can Blizzard slow down the meta? Is it even possible?

I think it's gotten faster every single patch. This might actually be the slowest it's been in a while.
Reynad talked about this a while back.

He said that with each new expansion decks just become more and more efficient as their holes start getting plugged in.

Like Warlock used to lack a good 3 drop until it got the Imp Gang Boss. Druids used to lack a good 2 drop but now they got Darnassus Aspirant.

He also said that it's going to get more and more punishing to miss a drop early on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom