• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT5| Corrupted Deeprock Salt

ViviOggi

I'm done with this fucking game.

It's near impossible to play a game where you're not going up against some douchebag who needs 6-7 Legendary cards in their deck.

Blizzard seriously needs to implement a limit on how many Epic and Legendary cards are allowed in a single deck. It's clear most players can't build a deck on their own without following some guide, hence the reason everyone and their grandmother has Dr Boom and General Thaddeus. Same shit over and over. This used to be a fun game when there was a sense of strategy. Now it's pay to win garbage.
The game has much more deep-rooted issues than legendaries, in fact except they're not an issue at all except for their price point which makes for an impenetrable experience for new players who want to play something other than aggro. But that's a meta thing, what's much more troubling for the game itself is its ruleset in combination with Blizzard's tendency to release high-value, low-cost sticky minions over meta-relevant board clears, their baffling hate for combo decks and their inexplicable boner for Uther.

That aside netdecking complaints and legendary woes are as old as the game itself.

inky

That aside netdecking complaints and legendary woes are as old as the game itself.

Indeed. I remember back then before the game launched losing to Ragnaros or Ysera and thinking the same thing. Bullshit cards, pay to win, yada yada. Then I got them in packs or crafted them and the game remained the same.

I was wrong back then and the complaints are wrong today, but it took me some time to get that perspective. Cheap decks have dominated the ladder often and for long chunks of time: Eboladin, Zoo, Hunter crap, Patron Warrior, etc. and remain consistent through changes more often than not. In any case, card games will always have a "pay to win" component or whatever you want to call it. There have been 3 adventures and 2 expansions with hundreds of new cards ffs, of course people with more time/money invested are going to have more options that you. That has always been the case.

General Thaddeus?

What

Thaurissan most likely :p

bjaelke

General Thaddeus?

What

Emperor Thaurissan maybe

or this guy

7759.gif

I run two of them in my Midrange Paladin, and Murloc Knight has been solely responsible for quite a few wins. Spawning a Warleader or a second Murloc Knight can outright win you the game right there. Midrange wins by getting board control and just grinding you out with tokens, and Murloc Knight adds to that.

I play a midrange too and find it good but not great in this meta. We will see by the end of the month when all of LoE is out and how many people are still running it.

Emperor is good but you can get him by buying the adventure

Thaddeus is meh, also can get him in an adventure :p

Boom is harder to get but you'll eventually have the dust to craft him

Chmpocalypse

Blizzard

It's near impossible to play a game where you're not going up against some douchebag who needs 6-7 Legendary cards in their deck.

Blizzard seriously needs to implement a limit on how many Epic and Legendary cards are allowed in a single deck. It's clear most players can't build a deck on their own without following some guide, hence the reason everyone and their grandmother has Dr Boom and General Thaddeus. Same shit over and over. This used to be a fun game when there was a sense of strategy. Now it's pay to win garbage.

On what planet is Thaddius everywhere?

Also, yeah, to echo others - basic card decks can and have been taken to legendary many times. Your issue isn't with legendaries, I'm afraid.

ricelord

welp that would kill control war or any decks that have to run those cards to even have a chance to compete and aggro would be left unchallenged.

Szadek

That's not even remotly true. Almost no deck plays 6-7 legebdaries, more ike 2 or 3 (a lot of them from adventures) , nor do they play an huge amount of epic's either.
Limiting them wouldn't do anything but hurting a few slower decks.

Even if they were building their own decks, they would still play Dr Boom,because the cards is just that good, unless it's one ofthe few cards were he doesn't work.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Thaddius is actually really fun to get in the renolock. Makes me realize how few classes are running a way to deal with it, control warrior especially.

inky

Thaddius is actually really fun to get in the renolock. Makes me realize how few classes are running a way to deal with it, control warrior especially.

You mean like a silence?

CW list is very tight but it still has a ton of removal and Sylvanas. Id' bet most CWs would rather run Geddon to deal with all the small crap than bother about things like Thaddius.

ViviOggi

Also, yeah, to echo others - basic card decks can and have been taken to legendary many times. Your issue isn't with legendaries, I'm afraid.
To be fair those times are over. Like, there's still very viable cheap decks dust-wise but almost all of them require key cards scattered over three adventures (with a fixed wing progression). Plus they're all aggro/tempo lists so if you don't enjoy playing that archetype well tough shit. Funnily enough the one truly viable non-aggro budget list, the deck where player skill actually mattered over anything else, was Patron.

True basic/f2p decks getting to legend in this day and age? No way Jose.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"

The hell are you talking about? Not even Control Warrior plays that many legendaries.

Control Warrior has BGH, Execute, and Shield Slam. Admittedly Shield Slam is a bit more situational since Thaddeus has 11 health, but I've had 30+ armor before. They also have Sylvanas, so they have a chance at stealing Fuegen/Stallag or Thaddeus himself. And, if nothing else, there's always Brawl. And it's not like they don't have their own big minions to smash into Thaddeus if they just can't find the removal. Dr. Boom, Alex, Geddon, and Gromm can knock him down to manageable levels if not outright killing him, and Ysera can produce answers as well (Dream, Emerald Drake, Nightmare).

The hell are you talking about? Not even Control Warrior plays that many legendaries.

Sure they do. Boom, Alex, Gromm, Sylvanas, Ysera, and Justicar are in most Control Warrior decks. There are other legendaries that get rotated in and out like Geddon, as well.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
How do you "take a deck to legendary"?

I'm someone who plays the game for fun, and doesn't follow the scene like the diehards.

ZealousD

How do you "take a deck to legendary"?

I'm someone who plays the game for fun, and doesn't follow the scene like the diehards.

"Legend" not "legendary".

Legend is the ranking system above Rank 1. It's the top of the ladder.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™

I'm talking about what I'm running into when playing. Used to be maybe one or two Legendaries in a deck to deal with, but it's getting ridiculous.

I'm also a casual player that plays daily, but doesn't follow the scene. So I've no idea any of the lingo like "Control Warrior".

bjaelke

The only decks running an abundance of legendary cards are fatigue/Reno Jackson decks due to the "1 of each" limitation.

Pooya

great, brawl is pushed back for a day, now I have to sit on this 5 brawl wins quest for one more day and forced to clear the 40g one. I demand compensation -_-

watch it be webspinners again.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
The decks I build are comprised of the cards I've won in earned packs. I've crafted a couple cards, but for the most part have simply "collected".

Do you guys destroy everything you have no intention of using? Maybe I need to do this to craft my own Dr Boom, and other pain in the ass cards.

ZealousD

I'm talking about what I'm running into when playing. Used to be maybe one or two Legendaries in a deck to deal with, but it's getting ridiculous.

I'm also a casual player that plays daily, but doesn't follow the scene. So I've no idea any of the lingo like "Control Warrior".

Control Warrior is one of the most popular decks in the game. It has about 5 legendaries in it. It has more legendaries than almost any other popular deck. People nickname it " Wallet Warrior".

Any deck with 7 legendaries in it is probably not very good. It will get countered very heavily by certain types of decks. Since you've made it clear you aren't very knowledgeable about the games the problem here is that you just don't realize how to refine your decks and/or counter these kinds of greedy decks.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Control Warrior is one of the most popular decks in the game. It has about 5 legendaries in it. It has more legendaries than almost any other popular deck. People nickname it " Wallet Warrior".

Any deck with 7 legendaries in it is probably not very good. It will get countered very heavily by certain types of decks. Since you've made it clear you aren't very knowledgeable about the games the problem here is that you just don't realize how to refine your decks and/or counter these kinds of greedy decks.

Like I said I've always played casually, but dedicated as in I play daily.

But have I gone and read up on the game, and other people's strategies/decks to take for my own? No.

ZealousD

Sure they do. Boom, Alex, Gromm, Sylvanas, Ysera, and Justicar are in most Control Warrior decks. There are other legendaries that get rotated in and out like Geddon, as well.

Ysera is not in "most" lists. She gets rotated in and out like Geddon. A deck that runs all 7 cards you mentioned is definitely on the slow side for CW, relatively speaking.

Pooya

The decks I build are comprised of the cards I've won in earned packs. I've crafted a couple cards, but for the most part have simply "collected".

Do you guys destroy everything you have no intention of using? Maybe I need to do this to craft my own Dr Boom, and other pain in the ass cards.

The only 'required' legendary is Dr. Boom. so yeah should get it, but don't dust your collection like that. If you can't tell what cards should be dusted or not, you can just ask here.

ViviOggi

You must not read the HS Reddit saw a dude who started a new account a few days ago and took zoo to legend in a week. It can be done

That's literally what I'm saying

Taking cheap aggro decks to legend? Sure, easily. In fact much more easily than control/grinder decks since your matches are only one third as long. Zoo without Gang Boss, Voidcaller, Egg, Creeper? Yeah not seeing it. Rank 5 maybe.

€: Hm, I checked and both Egg and Creeper are from Naxx wing 1. You can grind that pretty quickly. You'll probably be fine without Voidcaller, only the lack of Gang Boss would really hurt. I think other list's key cards are more spread out than Zoo's though.

inky

Like I said I've always played casually, but dedicated as in I play daily.

But have I gone and read up on the game, and other people's strategies/decks to take for my own? No.

Well, most decks in ladder are refined collectively with the knowledge of the thousands of players who use them. You seem to not want to read up on them and be "diehard" who copies decks online... that's fine, but why are you also expecting people to play by your rules when the information is out there? Why are you expecting to beat this collective knowledge with your own when even you admit you don't know much about the game even as a dedicated player?

If you want to play by your own rules and follow your own strategies that's fine and as someone who makes and plays his own decks too even though they don't follow the "meta" (like my spell Druid <3) I think your decision is good. But you should be prepared to lose some games too.

That said, you should take it from the people who do follow the "scene" and know, study and understand these decks you are losing to: the mistake you are making is assuming you are losing simply because people have paid way more money than you. That is not the case, for more than 10% of your matches I would bet. You can get far with minimal investments and even few or no legendaries in a deck.

greepoman

What is "zoo"?

Zoo is a deck invented by Reynad, who also invented hearthstone, MTG, streaming on twitch and is also probably your real father.

Zoo comes from MTG where the same deck archetype just happened to be a b,unch of zoo creatures mostly. Focuses on small efficient minions for, board control with small buffs and some burst damage.

Contrary to what was said above...zoo is not actually a typical aggro deck (aggro usually means face in hearthstone) it's actually an aggressive board control deck that can snowball to kill you quickly.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Well, most decks in ladder are refined collectively with the knowledge of the thousands of players who use them. You seem to not want to read up on them and be "diehard" who copies decks online... that's fine, but why are you also expecting people to play by your rules when the information is out there? Why are you expecting to beat this collective knowledge with your own when even you admit you don't know much about the game even as a dedicated player?

If you want to play by your own rules and follow your own strategies that's fine and as someone who makes and plays his own decks too even though they don't follow the "meta" (like my spell Druid <3) I think your decision is good. But you should be prepared to lose some games too.

That said, you should take it from the people who do follow the "scene" and know, study and understand these decks you are losing to: the mistake you are making is assuming you are losing simply because people have paid more money than you. That is not the case, for more than 10% of your matches I would bet. You can get far with minimal investments and even few or no legendaries in a deck.

Most of my decks have no Legendaries. I only own the few I'be been lucky to receive. I have to take my game to the next level and start reading up a little. As of late I can barely get by on my own created decks.

Dahbomb

Most decks these days average two Legendaries, usually Dr Balanced and one other Legendary like Tirion or Loatheb.

Midrange/Secret Paladin: Dr Balanced, Tirion
Dragon Priest: Ysera, Chillmaw (sometimes Paeltres, Sylvanas, Voljin but they don't have other 2 Legendaries)
Anti Aggro Control Priest: Justicar, Voljin, sometimes Sylvanas
Hunter decks: Dr Balanced that's it, sometimes Leeroy
Druid: Dr Balanced, Emperor Thaurissan. Aggro Druid runs Loatheb over Emperor.
Zoolock: Dr Balanced, Loatheb, sometimes Malganis
Oil Rogue: Bloodmage, sometimes Dr Balanced, sometimes Edwin
Raptor Rogue; Dr Balanced, Sylvanas, sometimes Bloodmage
Aggro Shaman: Sometimes Dr Balanced, even Leeroy
Mech Mage/Shaman: Dr Balanced
Grim Patron Warrior: Dr Balanced, sometimes Grommash/Loatheb

Only Freeze Mage, Control Warrior and Handlock run more than 3 Legendaries (Freeze runs 4). And they aren't even as common as the decks I posted above.

Basically everyone runs Dr Balanced plus some other Legendary depending upon their deck. You don't need to pay to get 2 Legendaries in your deck.

If you don't have Dr Balanced then you should dust some garbage Legendaries and Epics to get it.

inky

Most of my decks have no Legendaries. I only own the few I'be been lucky to receive. I have to take my game to the next level and start reading up a little. As of late I can barely get by on my own created decks.

Once you read up on the popular decks and strategies you will go back to making your own, don't worry. Knowing which cards to craft or get through adventures is part of the game too, and that doesn't take away from you making up your own stuff. Just need to understand what you need.

Szadek

After a long time I played arena again and went 4/3 with this deck:
Lost 2 game,because I didn't have any early game (one time my start hand was 2x equality and 1 Jormungar).

Since I don't need anything anymore I might try it again.
It's either that or save all my gold for the next expansion

gutshot

Wow, the Druid Egg deck that was posted on r/hearthstone is actually pretty legit. Soul of the Forest on a board full of tokens is GG, WP, EZ game, EZ life, etc.

cHinzo

Man, Reno Jackson totally rekt Hunters. Pretty fun to play Renodin. Using a deck with Avenging Wrath. Working surprisingly well for extra reach or board clear with Equality. I think Bolvar would fit great in this deck since u play max 1 card each turn, chunking out minions so he could sit in the hand for a while, but sadly I don't have him and can't test it out. Someone wanna test it? :p

Top Bottom