• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT5| Corrupted Deeprock Salt

JohnCYQ

Yeah, I've been ranking up with that Druid Egg deck and having really good success with it. I don't know if I could cut a Soul of the Forest though. It's such a key card in the deck, creating super sticky boards that your opponent just has no way to deal with. It is true that the second one can end up as a dead card, especially if you draw it early, but those games are so few and you ideally want to play it on turn 6-7 every game so having 2 for the consistency factor is key IMO.

Also the deck's creator said he was going to swap in a Sir Finley today and I think that makes a lot of sense. I just tried it out and got Hunter's hero power each time, which helped tremendously in closing out the win. Warlock would also be a good one to get. The token generating ones in Paladin and Shaman synergize well with your buffs and the other ping classes are decent enough. The only hero powers you absolutely don't want are Priest and Warrior and since you get 3 to choose from, you are guaranteed to get a better hero power every time.
Anecdotal, but in the 20 games or so where I've played with the deck, I don't think there was even once where I was like "man I sure hoped that was a soul of the forest instead". In any case, I've swapped out the sea giant with a swipe, feels like the extra reach through taunt would be nice (or the occasional comeback-swipe).

In any case, I've lived the dream:
hearthstonescreenshottxrwg.png

Decklist

Thinking of including one consecration somewhere, not sure if its needed though.

JohnCYQ

Do you think you'll ever get to the point where you can use Anyfin Can Happen?

Sure, against a control deck that manages to board wipe. Its basically a late-game drop the same as Tirion is for the deck (and most people lose against secrets paladin before they ever see that being dropped), except that you're bringing back a full board (which can sometimes be crappy) that the control deck now has to deal with, which is often better than just a single threat.

Dahbomb

How did it go?
I won 100% against Hunters. I stole a bunch of Dr Booms with Entomb but I only got to re-play it once. Had one of my best games ever against a Dragon Priest, combined Reno Jackson and Justicar effort saved me in that game.

Excavated Evil is pretty solid, this card is pretty underrated. There were quite a few situations where I had the option to do Holy Nova or Excavated Evil and I did Evil instead of Nova.

Main thing I need in this deck is draw. Only one Cleric, Power word and Thoughsteal for draws.

It's about as good as Reno Paladin. Tier 4, maybe tier 3 deck. There are better options for Priest but it's still fun to play.

The reason why Reno Warlock is the best because heal = more draws for Warlock. Plus Warlock has the late game finisher of Jaraxxus to close out games against other control decks. Classes like Priest and Paladin already have enough heals... what they lack is a late game finisher which is why both of these classes are basically just playing Midrange (Dragon Priest, Midrange Priest) or aggro.

Sure, against a control deck that manages to board wipe. Its basically a late-game drop the same as Tirion is for the deck (and most people lose against secrets paladin before they ever see that being dropped), except that you're bringing back a full board (which can sometimes be crappy) that the control deck now has to deal with, which is often better than just a single threat.

From a CW perspective I'm still thinking justicar/quartermaster shenanigans is stronger.

The problem may be midrange already destroys control decks, so what is murlocadin really going to beat?

JohnCYQ

From a CW perspective I'm still thinking justicar/quartermaster shenanigans is stronger.

The problem may be midrange already destroys control decks, so what is murlocadin really going to beat?

I don't know, I put the deck together in like 3 minutes off the basis of a secrets paladin deck skeleton and put in murlocs.

Also, Anyfin provides paladins with something it never really had before: (potential) burst damage from an empty board. (Quatermaster burst requires the tokens to stay alive)

Depending on:
1) Which murlocs you have played (and died or is still on the board)
2) Which ones RNG brings back with Anyfin.

Worse case scenario: You summon all non-charge, non-buff murlocs
Average scenario: You summon at least 1 charger and 1 warleader + a few others. (2-10 charge damage)
Best case scenario (for this deck): 2x bluegill, 1x murkeye, 2x warleader and 2 other murlocs (24 charge damage)

Remember that this is just some secrets version that I whipped out in like 3 minutes, the OTK challenge on reddit one is more control/stall based with heals/taunts and exactly 7 murlocs in the deck, you could probably get away with playing 5 of them (bluegills/murkeye/warleaders) in some midrange version and still do ok.

EDIT:

OK, I just won against some strange spell-heavy mage deck (tempo?) that ran double arcane explosion, dragon's breath, polymorph along with the usual suit of Arcane missiles/fireball/flamecannon etc.

T1 I drop noble sacrifice, he goes mana wyrm.
T2 I drop tidehunter, he goes arcane explosion.
T3 I muster and kill off the wyrm (he hits into noble sac). He drops wyrm#2 and also does arcane explosion #2.
T4 I muster#2 (hit wyrm#2 with weapon) and avenge, he plays arcane missiles and cleared 1 recruit, kills off the buffed minion with a spell (frostbolt if I remember correctly), pings one and goes face.
T5 I kill off the wyrm with my remaining recruit + weapon, play warleader and bluegill, hit face for 4. He gets a lucky flamecannon hit on the warleader and pings my bluegill.
T6 I recruit and use BOK on it. He fireballs the buffed recruit and pings my face.
T7 I topdeck into...my second warleader (no other murlocs left on board). Warleader + recruit, attack face with weapon. He drops a shredder, coin + polymorph warleader.
T8 I drop tirion. He pings and trades into tirion and plays dragon's breath. He gets unstable ghoul (I had 2 1/1s on board). By this time I was down to like 13 hp.
T9 I topdeck into MC and he conceded.

That was an unusual game for sure.

I don't know, I put the deck together in like 3 minutes off the basis of a secrets paladin deck skeleton and put in murlocs.

Also, Anyfin provides paladins with something it never really had before: (potential) burst damage from an empty board. (Quatermaster burst requires the tokens to stay alive)

Depending on:
1) Which murlocs you have played (and died or is still on the board)
2) Which ones RNG brings back with Anyfin.

Worse case scenario: You summon all non-charge, non-buff murlocs
Average scenario: You summon at least 1 charger and 1 warleader + a few others. (2-10 charge damage)
Best case scenario (for this deck): 2x bluegill, 1x murkeye, 2x warleader and 2 other murlocs (24 charge damage)

Remember that this is just some secrets version that I whipped out in like 3 minutes, the OTK challenge on reddit one is more control/stall based with heals/taunts and exactly 7 murlocs in the deck, you could probably get away with playing 5 of them (bluegills/murkeye/warleaders) in some midrange version and still do ok.

Fair enough. I'm not saying it can't work, because it looks like it can.

I'm just wondering if overall it'll work better than other decks. The problem with those murlocs is they can't really control the board. So although you'll have burst, it'll probably be against some taunts on the other side or you'll have already lost.

Will be fun to see if it can work out.

Do you mind posting your list, either here or in private? I've been meaning to try Mech Hunter, Priest, and Druid. Or I could try to come up with my own list and we could compare notes later.

Here is the latest version:

Standard mech stuff:
2x clockwork gnome
2x cogmaster
2x annoy-o-tron
2x mechwarper
2x micro machine
2x spider tank
1x mech yeti
2x piloted shredder

Standard broken stuff:
1x Doctor Boom - also two mechs...

Tech cards:
1x ironbeak - activates kill command and fuck secret paladin.

Magic stuff
1x Brann
2x metaltooth leaper
2x Gorillabot - card draw and remember, hunter cards get priority and they only have one mech! So lots of leapers.
2x Tomb spider - Not a mech? No but I look at it this way. It has great Brann synergy and you will either get "big beast" which can help you or "small beast" which activates kill command for burst. Chances are? You can get both.
2x kill command - burst
2x animal companion - just too good.
2x glavezooka - Basically to try to keep your mechs alive and gain tempo.

The strategy is simple, flood the board with mechs, reload with gorilla and tomb spider and try to burst with kill command when you inevitably run out of steam. Brann is used with tomb spider and gorillabot to reload but you want to save it for +4 attack with metaltooth, or the dream +8 combo onto a board of small shit.

I mulligan hard for glavezooker, because otherwise you tend to have no chance. You do get mechs down on the board, but they just get eaten up by other minions.

Besides card draw, the big problem is the hero power just doesn't work with this deck. You need that mage ping to keep your mechs on the board. Will keep trying though, I enjoy playing it.

KuroNeeko

Im playing control priest (non dragon) and its fucking amazing right now. no more doing passing turns and its highly reactive and proactive.
still refining it and its missing the last week 2 drop.

What the heck Control Priest are you playing then? lol ; )

Thanks! Will try to give it a shot!

Just had the best Brawl ever. He played Mill house... they gave me a spare part in my hand and I top deck...ANTONIDAS! He even let me FB the entire board before he conceded.

JohnCYQ

So Anyfin Can Happen won't repeat Murlocs if less than seven have died, will it?

Repeats would have been too OP. Play 2 bluegills, 1 murkeye and 1 Anyfin, free 14+ burst.

EDIT: My subsequent Anyfin:
I lost though, he had exact lethal. I could have taken the chance and kill the argus and hope he didn't have lethal, but I was too far behind in health IMO. Oh well.

FeD.nL

Holy shit, Twin Mech: Rise of the 3/4's is fun to play. I already liked the deck before Gorillabot but now it really seems to do well.

This is how the list is currently, still tweaking it though:

Verdict on mech hunter. Ok.

I've beaten decks like reno locks (I think that is the name?), face hunters, secret paladin and some poor guy playing a murloc shaman. I think that is a decent spread. Any slow deck has trouble against it, as you might expect.

On the other hand, I got destroyed by proper midrange decks. There is just no way to keep a board as a hunter without getting god like draws.

The reason it works pretty well is gorillabot and the class weighting. Getting another mech leaper every time is very strong and lets you burst quite efficiently. I also like having the tomb spider in there.

I think I'll work in some freezing traps to try to keep the board longer.

I'm just wondering if overall it'll work better than other decks. The problem with those murlocs is they can't really control the board. So although you'll have burst, it'll probably be against some taunts on the other side or you'll have already lost.

Will be fun to see if it can work out.

Standard mech stuff:
2x clockwork gnome
2x cogmaster
2x annoy-o-tron
2x mechwarper
2x micro machine
2x spider tank
1x mech yeti
2x piloted shredder

Standard broken stuff:
1x Doctor Boom - also two mechs...

Tech cards:
1x ironbeak - activates kill command and fuck secret paladin.

Magic stuff
1x Brann
2x metaltooth leaper
2x Gorillabot - card draw and remember, hunter cards get priority and they only have one mech! So lots of leapers.
2x Tomb spider - Not a mech? No but I look at it this way. It has great Brann synergy and you will either get "big beast" which can help you or "small beast" which activates kill command for burst. Chances are? You can get both.
2x kill command - burst
2x animal companion - just too good.
2x glavezooka - Basically to try to keep your mechs alive and gain tempo.

The strategy is simple, flood the board with mechs, reload with gorilla and tomb spider and try to burst with kill command when you inevitably run out of steam. Brann is used with tomb spider and gorillabot to reload but you want to save it for +4 attack with metaltooth, or the dream +8 combo onto a board of small shit.

I mulligan hard for glavezooker, because otherwise you tend to have no chance. You do get mechs down on the board, but they just get eaten up by other minions.

Besides card draw, the big problem is the hero power just doesn't work with this deck. You need that mage ping to keep your mechs on the board. Will keep trying though, I enjoy playing it.
You'd have to drop something but what about sir Finley to get a better hp?

I am eating all these shitty Murloc decks alive with Patron Warrior and Tempo Mage, I love it! Wish I had Hungry Crab to tech in for extra punishment!
I added conjurer to my tempo Mage, now I've only got one four drop. I'm leaning towards water ele for the first time over shredder, is that crazy? Also teching flamestrike in bc of so much cancer and boom just bc. Perhaps I should drop boom since he doesn't provide synergy with anty and walkers but, I have duplicate and mirror image as my secrets.

Pooya

Freezemage noobs don't know when to concede, just wasting time after I have 30 armor and then rope? really? you could have completed two other matches in the time you have wasted here if you just conceded when it began. When will they learn? My matches as warrior are going to take a while anyway, you're just mostly wasting your own time...

Then next game face hunter, it's turn 8, I have 33 health and a hand full of cards and a board, he's at 16 and is TRADING. Dude, what are you doing? Rank 14-15 is bad even on like 3rd day of the season. It helps yourself a lot if you know when to concede. You don't have a win condition, why are you keep playing? This is not a tournament to get information lol.

Duster

Are aggro-pirate-buccaneering-Rogue decks a new trend or is it a coincidence I faced three of them in quick succession? The first time I had no idea what was coming, I couldn't deal with the early Bucanneers + buffed weapon so was finished in no time.

Haunted

Love the new wing. My head's immediately swarming with ideas for Heroic decks, much more so than in the previous two weeks, that's a good sign. Too bad I don't have Hungry Crabs! x_x

JohnCYQ

One problem with Thijs' deck is that he practically has no real win condition outside of Anyfin.

No MC/Secrets
No Quatermaster/Justicar
No Equality for a seemingly control-combo deck, his only removal being Uldaman (which he only runs 1 of).
Caps out at Dr Boom for late game, no Ysera/Tirion.
Card draw that relies on having a tradeable board (Cultmaster and Solem Virgil).

Like the 8-card OTK mold can work in midrange/secrets but his card choices seem a little iffy at the moment.

sibarraz

Banned
Holy shit, Twin Mech: Rise of the 3/4's is fun to play. I already liked the deck before Gorillabot but now it really seems to do well.

This is how the list is currently, still tweaking it though:

Cool, a new deck just when I dusted the 2 3/4 legendaries to make a neptulon

so umm whats with all the murloc decks, seen a bunch of paladin and shaman ones in ladder 15-20.

The new adventure just added a Paladin and a Shaman Murloc spell. People are trying to get them to work, but I don't think it's been successful so far. I crushed 2 Shaman Murloc decks and a Paladin Murloc deck with Raptor Rogue last night to complete a Rogue quest.

Pooya

I just fought two copy pasterino of Thijs' murloc paladin. lol so bad. I was doing my 5 win as rogue quest and it was just easy life easy game. 5 games 5 wins. Rogue is in a pretty good spot right now.

gutshot

I've ranked from 18 to 10 with exclusively Egg Druid. Have almost a 70% win rate with it.

How good is Egg Druid? Preeeeetty good.

Pooya

I think I just raptor'd another poor soul. My deck has so many win conditions, oil blade flurry, assassin's blade and DC raptor. So OP.

Spectated a match, druid with Naga sea witch, 5 mana AoLs and Cenarius were played, it looked fun.

gutshot

New Hearthstone content patch is up on Blizzard's CDN. HearthPwn is datamining it now:

New Card Backs

Thrall
Love is in the Air
Winterveil

New Brawls

Gift Exchange - Great Father is dropping crates on the battlefield! Get a gift each time you smash your opponent's crate... or your own!
Battle of the Builds - What's better? Battlecry, Deathrattle, Spells, or Murlocs? Make a deck, pick a side, and let's find out!
Deal Your Fate - The Tavern Keeper foretells a fateful brawl! You and your opponent discover random fates that affect you both!
Blingtron's Beauteous Brawl - Blingtron is ready to rumble! He changes your hero power to "Get a random weapon." AND he gives you random weapons!

http://www.hearthpwn.com/news/1131-hearthstone-patch-10956-new-card-backs-brawls-wip

gutshot

The new patch is actually downloading for me now. Highlights from the patch notes:

-Winter Veil effects added to the game.
-League of Explorers game board added to all modes.
-Unearthed Raptor disconnect bug FIXED.

Winter Veil card back, acquired by completing the Winter Veil themed Tavern Brawl:

3hQTnEnl.png

Top Bottom