• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT5| Corrupted Deeprock Salt

Raxus

Patron is disgusting though. Don't even talk to me.
One deck filters to get an OTK. The other filters to get an OTK.

Not mad about what was done to patron as much as Blizzard working as hard as it can to not nerf cards people pay for. All the last major needs were from the base sets.

Wait I think I figured how they can balance stuff in Ranked.

Ban cards. Just like in real TCGs. Nerfing it would suck to people who paid for it, but banning it would mean....that....you can still use it in regular play! Just like in TCGs!

Or limit certain cards in combination with other cards. IE you get either Dr. Boom or these 5 other legendaries that fill the same purpose. I dunno

Dahbomb

Wait I think I figured how they can balance stuff in Ranked.

Ban cards. Just like in real TCGs. Nerfing it would suck to people who paid for it, but banning it would mean....that....you can still use it in regular play! Just like in TCGs!

Or limit certain cards in combination with other cards. IE you get either Dr. Boom or these 5 other legendaries that fill the same purpose. I dunno
Blizzard will never ban cards in their own game.

Only thing that could happen is that tournament players and organizers can ban certain cards from competitive play. This almost happened with Pagle and Tinkmaster back in the day but Blizzard nerfed them before they were actually banned.

Only thing that could happen is that tournament players and organizers can ban certain cards from competitive play. This almost happened with Pagle and Tinkmaster back in the day but Blizzard nerfed them before they were actually banned.

Then Blizzard has to nerf.

If they don't nerf, then they don't get their puddin'!

Yeah, anyone who says this game isn't completely decided in the mulligan phase is kidding themselves.

Just went against a Zoolock that had something to play every single turn to the point I couldn't do anything at all to prevent the beatdown. Then immediately after I went against a tempo Mage that had both Mana Wyrms and Sorcerer's Apprentice on the board by turn 3.

If you draw well, you win. Simple as that.

At least OG Patron took skill to play well.

Secret Paladin is like CRUISE CONTROL (TM) to rank 5.*

* individual results may vary

What did they nerf about OG patrons anyways? Oh wait you mean the Grim Patrons, not the actual...here I was thinking that Patron meant wallet warrior >_>; Then I was like 'Well why don't you get charge' and apparently that was super nerfed to cost 3 mana....ok that's pretty funny.

You can try to start a riot movement on Reddit like it was done with Warriors in Arena.

Be like "nerf Dr Boom or we riot!"

Yeah but I hate reddit.

Raxus

I remember when Brawl was originally conceived they talked about various prizes but gave away free packs so often it is what people expect now.

Sheroking

For shits and giggles, attempted my own version of Dragon Pally. Went from Rank 15 to Rank 9 in a couple hours.

Dragon_Pally.png

Refuse to net deck the real Dragon Pally list. Don't think I'm gonna net deck ever again. It's boring.

I remember when Brawl was originally conceived they talked about various prizes but gave away free packs so often it is what people expect now.

It's the only reward they can give that is worth a damn

Arena ticket too,but we all know that isn't gonna happen.

Pooya

My meta is is either control priest or renolock. so fed up with this. I'm beginning to welcome secret paladin opponents, those are not anywhere as draining to play against.

KuroNeeko

Yeah, just hit rank 10 for the first time with Reno Lock. Jar-jar just eats priests for lunch.

Probably going to switch to Rogue or Priest now. Not too worried about getting higher ranks now that I got DAT double gold rare.

Tarazet

You discover cards from your opponents class in this brawl. So basically just wish the other guy plays Paladin then you get Dr.8 for free!

I played Mage vs. a Paladin. Coined out Doomsayer. Next turn it gave me both gifts.. I opened the paladin's and it was Dr. 6 himself, and since it was a gift, I was able to play him immediately. I obviously won that game.

cHinzo

Warlock in this new Brawl is disgusting. Would have prefered a pack though instead of a cardback. Never really understood why u would need so many different cardbacks. U just select the one u like the most and then dont look back at the rest or am I wrong lol?

bjaelke

Warlock in this new Brawl is disgusting. Would have prefered a pack though instead of a cardback. Never really understood why u would need so many different cardbacks. U just select the one u like the most and then dont look back at the rest or am I wrong lol?
You can use up to 9 different cardbacks at the same time (one for each deck).

gutshot

The amount of people who are otherwise hardcore players in this game that don't know you can give each deck a unique card back kinda justifies all of Blizzard's excuses about the UI for requested features being "too confusing".

Blizzard has said they are open to banning cards, but it isn't something they are going to do right away. They're holding off as long as possible.

Secrets. Murloc. Midrange. Pick your poison. But hey AT LEAST THEY NERFED PATRON AMIRITE?!?!?

Man Blizzard is bad at balance.

Patron worse than all the above, by miles.

Szadek

People should really stop pretending that murloc paladins is a great deck or anything.
It's just a somewhat viable gimmick deck.It's nowhere near broken or anything like that.

Kawl_USC

People should really stop pretending that murloc paladins is a great deck or anything.
It's just a somewhat viable gimmick deck.It's nowhere near broken or anything like that.

It seems to add a nice finisher vs a control match up. I've lost several times to back to back everyfins from like 45+ hp as cw. Between standard paladin clears, pyro equality, it can keep my big threats off long enough to draw everything they need.

Szadek

It seems to add a nice finisher vs a control match up. I've lost several times to back to back everyfins from like 45+ hp as cw. Between standard paladin clears, pyro equality, it can keep my big threats off long enough to draw everything they need.
They have a few good match ups, no doubt about that, but many people compare the deck to Patron, which is just insane.

Dahbomb

Murloc Paladin is just less consistent because it loses harder to aggro and even then it's not so bad. It also loses to Freeze Mage harder than Grim Patron.

People just don't actually have refined list of the deck yet. Like it swings between a Midrange deck and a combo deck. Some decks have it built more as Midrange whIle others have more cycle.

Whether it's broken or not is a different thing... issue is that it enables the same shit that people hate the most about the game which is losing 30 HP from no board.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"

I think I've said it before. It is kind of funny, but I don't think pre-nerf Pagle would actually be too strong in this current meta. Card draw used to be so much stronger back before the card quality shot up massively with all these expansions. Now with all the higher quality 2 drops, 3 drops, and Shredder, tempo pushes the game faster. Every card has to be carefully considered to determine whether or not they fit your strategy. So pre-nerf Pagle might only fit into combo decks these days.

Tarazet

Murloc Paladin is just less consistent because it loses harder to aggro and even then it's not so bad. It also loses to Freeze Mage harder than Grim Patron.

People just don't actually have refined list of the deck yet. Like it swings between a Midrange deck and a combo deck. Some decks have it built more as Midrange whIle others have more cycle.

Whether it's broken or not is a different thing... issue is that it enables the same shit that people hate the most about the game which is losing 30 HP from no board.

I can't believe anyone could look at a single card that wins the game, and not think it was broken. It is broken even at 10 mana.

Kawl_USC

What's people's opinion on Varian in CW? Been playing this deck the past few days after crafting Grommash and I don't really like him. If the game got to turn ten it's usually control vs control or against something like murloc paladin. In that case the draw 3, hurts pretty significantly in the fatigue wars. Plus the losing out on the battle crys of some key cards made me cut him for Rag instead. In doesn't help that he was literally the 30th card I drew in two games that went to fatigue...

Dahbomb

I think I've said it before. It is kind of funny, but I don't think pre-nerf Pagle would actually be too strong in this current meta. Card draw used to be so much stronger back before the card quality shot up massively with all these expansions. Now with all the higher quality 2 drops, 3 drops, and Shredder, tempo pushes the game faster. Every card has to be carefully considered to determine whether or not they fit your strategy. So pre-nerf Pagle might only fit into combo decks these days.
Nat Pagle would still suck in the current meta but it's good that the card is as is because it's a swingy RNG card. You never want swing RNG cards to be that good otherwise you get stuff like Dr Balanced.

What's people's opinion on Varian in CW? Been playing this deck the past few days after crafting Grommash and I don't really like him. If the game got to turn ten it's usually control vs control or against something like murloc paladin. In that case the draw 3, hurts pretty significantly in the fatigue wars. Plus the losing out on the battle crys of some key cards made me cut him for Rag instead. In doesn't help that he was literally the 30th card I drew in two games that went to fatigue...

not worth it in terms of losing a lot of your battlecries in CW. Usually CW lists are pretty refined right now so it's hard to take out cards for other, but the issue is that CW isnt great in the meta currently.

Kawl_USC

not worth it in terms of losing a lot of your battlecries in CW. Usually CW lists are pretty refined right now so it's hard to take out cards for other, but the issue is that CW isnt great in the meta currently.

What's a solid list composed of? I'm missing Ysera and Saraad from the legendaries that I've seen included but have most of the others. I'm having a decent record with it even in the meta and find it a nice change up after only playing aggro/mid ranged for a long time. I suppose control priest is the meta flavor right now, but I haven't unlocked the final wing of explorers yet.

Varian would be a fit in the Bolster Taunt deck, not in CW.

I used a version of that deck to beat Chieftain Scarvash on heroic. Varian > Armorsmith > Sludge Belcher > Fierce Monkey absolutely ruined that dude. I don't know that it's a very good competitive deck, though.

BashNasty

Refuse to net deck the real Dragon Pally list. Don't think I'm gonna net deck ever again. It's boring.

Amen, brother. It's obviously never going to stop, but net decking is a scourge on Hearthstone. People are so desperate to win they don't want to actually engage with what is almost certainly the best part of the game.

Haunted

Varian has busted me out of many a tight situation with control warrior before. It also has psychological value. Quite a few players just can't deal with the fact that you just played like three legendaries with 22/24 worth of stats in a single turn. Or RNG pulling out the Sludge Belcher that keeps you alive for the turn you need to stabilise.

But make sure you've drawn/played your important battlecries (Alex/Justicar) beforehand or it can backfire badly.

Even if he isn't part of a perfectly optimised control warrior, he feels so damn good to play, he'll always be part of mine.

What's a solid list composed of? I'm missing Ysera and Saraad from the legendaries that I've seen included but have most of the others. I'm having a decent record with it even in the meta and find it a nice change up after only playing aggro/mid ranged for a long time. I suppose control priest is the meta flavor right now, but I haven't unlocked the final wing of explorers yet.

the legendaries are ysera, gromm, baron, justicar, alex, and boom. People have taken out alex for other cards. If you are doing fine with your list then no need to change.

Varian is "Overextend: The Card"

Overextending is only a problem in control mirrors. Priests (Lightbomb), Paladins (Equality Combos), and Warriors (Brawl) can punish you hard, but Druids and Hunters can't do shit about a Varian that pulls two to three other big bodies onto the field. Warlocks can potentially blow you up with a Shadowflame combo and Rogues can clear with an Oil + Blade Flurry combo, but not every Warlock is Handlock and Rogues aren't that common right now. Freeze Mage can board wipe you, even if it takes several turns with Blizzard followed by Flamestrike the next turn, but Tempo/Flamewaker Mages are way more common. Even Mech Mage is more common on ladder than Freeze. But even if it is a Freeze Mage, you should've already won just by playing Justicar. A lot of Shamans can't really punish you for it, either. Elemental Destruction is the only card that has a chance at board wiping you, and that might not even do it depending on what you pulled and doesn't make it into most of the current Aggro Shamans anyway. When I was running Varian, my biggest problem was the cost. If I was playing against Face Hunter or Aggro Druid, I couldn't afford to spend 10 mana on anything that didn't add health/armor. And pulling Shield Maiden or Justicar without the battlecry could cost you the match. In control matchups, Varian could cause you to lose to fatigue and those are the match ups where overextending can cost you. He's just too slow to counter aggro and he overextends you in control mirrors. That being said, I did have some crazy wins where I played Varian and he pulled Geddon which set up lethal next turn with Alex's battlecry. Or Varian top dicking Grom when I had Death's Bite already equipped for lethal.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Overextending is only a problem in control mirrors.

Aggro and Midramge matchups are usually decided by Turn 10. If you have enough freedom to play aggressively against a faster deck on or after Turn 10 as CW you were probably going to win anyway. This is why Varian is problematic.

Maybe Entomb will get nerfed at some point.

For 6 mana it results in absolutely stupid swings.

Then again I guess it's not just Entomb. It's what Entomb brings to what Priest already had. Either way I expect control Priest to be around for a long time because of it.

Top Bottom