• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT5| Corrupted Deeprock Salt

Really getting close to just crafting two Mysterious Challengers.

Playing against turn 6 MC, turn 7 Boom, turn 8 Tirion just makes me question why I'm bothering to play other decks.

I think Blizzard should make their previous story expansion other than LoE free and add the class cards as basic so you have to play the class a bunch in order to get them.

I hate the idea of making cards ineligible for ladder.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
I hate the idea of making cards ineligible for ladder.

Hearthstone is only going to get more and more cancerous if they don't. Aggro Shaman wouldn't exist if Shaman didn't have 3 different direct damage spells that could hit the face. And tempoy-aggressive strategies just keep dominating because power creep is pushing out extremely strong cards every single turn.

Hearthstone is only going to get more and more cancerous if they don't. Aggro Shaman wouldn't exist if Shaman didn't have 3 different direct damage spells that could hit the face. And tempoy-aggressive strategies just keep dominating because power creep is pushing out extremely strong cards every single turn.
I get it but I have invested money into my collection. It's selfish but I'd probably never spend another dime on HS again if any card I crafted could become worthless without warning.

Mulgrok

Dat feel when a shaman has lethal next turn and hexes his own minion to reduce my warrior's odds of getting lethal on him next turn, but I top deck (almost out of cards so it was not that low of odds) my only out of arcanite reaper to overwrite my death's bite to kill the frog taunt and hit face for exact lethal.

My first time playing warrior in arena in months and it is pretty darn fun.

EDIT: his hexing one of his own minions was the correct play, because I had about 50% odds of drawing face damage through bashes and stuff at that point.

ZealousD

I get it but I have invested money into my collection. It's selfish but I'd probably never spend another dime on HS again if any card I crafted could become worthless without warning.

This is why various formats should be allowed. Legacy formats vs standard formats.

Relegating cards to legacy formats has been a thing in CCGs for a very long time. It's a necessary step to keep the card pools from getting too large and removing problematic cards that stifle future card design. Setting cards aside have never killed games. If anything they keep the fresher and better over time.

For example, I pine for a world where Crackle and Implosion do not exist, because they are terribly designed cards. They aren't overpowered and so they shouldn't be nerfed, they just represent poor design. So having them moved into a legacy format makes more sense.

Further, it is already true that cards in your collection that you have crafted become worthless without warning. The game's rising power creep means that as more and more cards are added into the game, eventually cards that used to be considered good will be eventually removed from play and never be used.

For example, did anybody craft Cairne Bloodhoof back in the day? I certainly did. He used to be seen as one of the best legendaries. But Piloted Sky Golem exists now and is essentially a better card all-around so why play him anymore? How about other previously good epics and legendaries that don't see play anymore? Avenging Wrath? Al'Akir? Gorehowl? Faceless Manipulator? These cards have essentially seen a "soft" ban as they either aren't competitive or barely competitive these days. So they don't get used.

Dahbomb

Board clears haven't kept up with minion quality. You waste an entire turn using a board clear and you still nay not get every minion. Then they repopulate their board and you are back to square 1.

Only way that will change is if they give a board clear that is like Recycle for everyone of their cards. Sort of like Vanish but the cards go back in their deck. Problem is that Blizzard will balance that card to be 7 mana and ain't nobody got time for that.

Raxus

Board clears haven't kept up with minion quality. You waste an entire turn using a board clear and you still nay not get every minion. Then they repopulate their board and you are back to square 1.

Only way that will change is if they give a board clear that is like Recycle for everyone of their cards. Sort of like Vanish but the cards go back in their deck. Problem is that Blizzard will balance that card to be 7 mana and ain't nobody got time for that.

Or simply add a minion that punishes deathrattle more harshly. In fact deathrattles have mostly gotten free passes to date with half hearted at best cards attempted to remedy it.

Mulgrok

Or simply add a minion that punishes deathrattle more harshly. In fact deathrattles have mostly gotten free passes to date with half hearted at best cards attempted to remedy it.

Introduce a card that silences all deathrattles in play. Like wailing soul, but hits all minions on both sides. 4 mana would be a good time to play it as well.

EDIT: Warrior in arena is like a hard counter to the paladin plague. It is not even fair how badly I am smashing them.

ZealousD

The game doesn't need more niche tech cards. You could print a card that says "kills every deathrattle minion on the board" and people still wouldn't play it all that often. Think about how insane the value on Kezan Mystic is and consider that people still don't play it all that often even though like half the decks on ladder run secrets right now.

Nobody has time to be "responding" to anything these days.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
For a tech card to be played in modern hearthstone, it has to be general enough to stand on its own merits, like Loatheb.

They can't just make a "lackluster card that gets better if you fulfill it's tech condition", but a "good card that becomes great if you can meet its requirements".

The game doesn't need more niche tech cards. You could print a card that says "kills every deathrattle minion on the board" and people still wouldn't play it all that often. Think about how insane the value on Kezan Mystic is and consider that people still don't play it all that often even though like half the decks on ladder run secrets right now.

Kezan doesn't get played because not all classes even have secrets. Even if they do run secrets, Kezan isn't guaranteed to be effective. Secret Paladins dump so many secrets on the board at once that stealing one doesn't even matter. And nearly everyone runs deathrattles. Piloted Shredder is in pretty much every midrange deck, some control decks, and lots of aggro decks. Mad Scientist is in every deck that runs secrets, so a deathrattle silence minion would be almost as effective as Kezan in fighting them. Leper Gnome is in every aggro deck. Then there's other crap like Boom Bots, Haunted Creepers, Sylvanas, Highmanes, Tirion, Sludge Belchers, Void Callers, and Nerubian Eggs that are a pain in the ass to get rid of. As long as the card has acceptable stats for the cost and isn't too expensive (probably like 3-4 mana), I'd run at least one in just about every deck.

This is why various formats should be allowed. Legacy formats vs standard formats.

Relegating cards to legacy formats has been a thing in CCGs for a very long time. It's a necessary step to keep the card pools from getting too large and removing problematic cards that stifle future card design. Setting cards aside have never killed games. If anything they keep the fresher and better over time.

For example, I pine for a world where Crackle and Implosion do not exist, because they are terribly designed cards. They aren't overpowered and so they shouldn't be nerfed, they just represent poor design. So having them moved into a legacy format makes more sense.

Further, it is already true that cards in your collection that you have crafted become worthless without warning. The game's rising power creep means that as more and more cards are added into the game, eventually cards that used to be considered good will be eventually removed from play and never be used.

For example, did anybody craft Cairne Bloodhoof back in the day? I certainly did. He used to be seen as one of the best legendaries. But Piloted Sky Golem exists now and is essentially a better card all-around so why play him anymore? How about other previously good epics and legendaries that don't see play anymore? Avenging Wrath? Al'Akir? Gorehowl? Faceless Manipulator? These cards have essentially seen a "soft" ban as they either aren't competitive or barely competitive these days. So they don't get used.
all amazingly valid points. If you give me more ways to play and make the cards I have MORE valuable, I'm down. I just see how difficult it seems even to get more deck slots so something this proactive seems like a pipe dream.

But I like the cut of your jibb.

Uhh, what new cards? The only new one they're running is Tomb Pillager as far as I'm aware.

Unless you're still counting Thaurissan as new.

Yes tomb pillager. Before, auctioneer was only good when you had prep in your hand already. This increases the chance while not losing out of a valuable minion. It enables a turn 6 auctioneer + coin + conceal after all. It is really a nice fit for the deck. And yes, 2 cards difference in a type can be a huge difference. And one list I was looking at runs 6x 1 cost spells, making that auctioneer + coin + spell combo very common.

Is it better than oil - I doubt that. Maybe it'll keep getting iterated upon and climb the meta rankings though.

Dahbomb

Okay, what streamer started doing cursed blade ago warrior, since that's all I see now.
I did. Even posted the deck list a while back.

Also the year is coming to a close and I would like to dedicate these videos to the most influential card of HS for the year:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOc0mxgDvy4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssEWmy_6zG8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7PJRj6MINw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtJdKLTU83w

https://youtu.be/p1y7CAxFW48?t=4m1s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxqxJD0WoMo

Zemm

I started playing again after not playing for months, back when patron warrior was a thing. It seems like the game is currently at its worst state yet, just everything is cancer, secret/murloc paladins and face shamans galore, then all the other aggro decks that are being run now like the druid one. Atleast patron took a little bit of skill to play, these new decks are completely braindead. Game is a fucking mess and I no longer expect Blizzard to ever be able to balance it. It has to be the worst competitive game out there right now, unless there's something really broken that I've missed.

Dahbomb

I started playing again after not playing for months, back when patron warrior was a thing. It seems like the game is currently at its worst state yet, just everything is cancer, secret/murloc paladins and face shamans galore, then all the other aggro decks that are being run now like the druid one. Atleast patron took a little bit of skill to play, these new decks are completely braindead. Game is a fucking mess and I no longer expect Blizzard to ever be able to balance it. It has to be the worst competitive game out there right now, unless there's something really broken that I've missed.
Grim Patron kept these decks in line. Secret Paladin was below Grim Patron in power level.

With Grim Patron gone, Secret Paladin and Combo Druid are supreme because they are really the only two decks with something broken involved with them (Secret Pally has Dr.6 and Druid has the combo which has been made more consistent with something like Darnassus). Only real way to combat these decks is to play even more aggressive. That means Zoo, Tempo Mage (on Ladder people are playing Leper Gnomes and Knife Juggler in their Tempo Mage and at that point it's basically aggro Mage), Aggro Shaman, Aggro Druid to finish the game before the bombs are dropped.

The hilarious part out of all is that the aggro/tempo power level has gotten so high that Hunter is mediocre now. It can't out face a Face Shaman and it can't out Midrange a Midrange Paladin.

Control decks are really eating shit at the moment. Hardly anyone plays CW as both Paladin and Druid take a dump on it as does Renolock. Freeze Mage isn't being played because Druid takes a crap on it. Priest loses to Renolock, has trouble against Secret Paladin, loses badly to Murloc Paladin and doesn't do that well against Druid either to be honest. Renolock loses to Druid, Paladin with Equalities or Anyfin and even Aggro Shaman... yet is probably the most consistent control deck that is playable at the moment because it just stuffs the deck with so much heal/board clears and Reno Jackson to make a comeback with. So basically if you want to counter this meta you have to play Grim Patron and Oil Rogue. Grim Patron deck sounds good on paper but when Secret Paladin curves out or when Druid draws the nuts you still can't do shit.. and Grim Patron will lose if it goes up against a control deck if anyone is still playing it. Oil Rogue does well against Paladin, OK against Druid but not so well against Aggro Shaman so you are going to struggle with that deck too.

TLDR there's no point not to play Secret Paladin at the moment, maybe you can play Druid but you should play Secret Paladin anyway. Everyone needs to play the deck so the balance process gets sped up. I did my part by going from rank 11 to rank 5 in a day off of a 10 game win streak using Secret Paladin.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I think card rotations could drive sales if properly chosen. Right now it's pretty easy to determine which adventures/sets are worth buying and which aren't. Potential purchases are stymied by the fact that only a few cards are worthwhile from every set. But imagine a 3-6 month rotation where new decks spring up at those times, cards that were never used could become popular and would act as a dust, gold and money sink, allowing old or underpowered sets to get some exposure.

Ridli

I did. Even posted the deck list a while back.

Welp, I queued into 3 in a row this evening when I started playing. It was like Blizz added a new class!

Managed to hit rank 5 just in time tonight. First season I ended this high. Expecting a golden poisoned blade.

Really getting close to just crafting two Mysterious Challengers.

Playing against turn 6 MC, turn 7 Boom, turn 8 Tirion just makes me question why I'm bothering to play other decks.

Speaking as a secret pally playr, that's perfect curve that don't happen often. But yes compared to something like a priest, secret pally is so much easier and simpler to play it is not even funny.

Because kezan mystic is barely a soft counter to something like secret paladin. Imagine if it steals all enemy secret though, that would actually make people want to use it. Of course the paladin can run his own mystics to counter the counter.

manhack

Haven't played much the past few months. Just enough to complete my daily quests and earn gold to complete the LoE expansion.

In 50 or so games this month I still managed a 70% win rate with a variety of decks.
I still need to complete Golden Rogue and I will have golden hero portraits for all the classes, so there is still something to fight for. I've just not been excited to load up the game even with a new expansion that seems to have toned down the aggro that everyone was complaining about.

I don't watch Hearthstone twitch streams as much anymore and have switch my focus to other games (Rainbow 6 Siege). Not sure if it is burnout from playing the game too much. Its not my job and I'm not a pro player so there isn't much incentive to play the game other than the joy of playing and the gold/card pack rewards.

That said, I am a little excited to try out some new decks because I have really only tried some Reno decks and some Raptor Rogue variations with the new cards and I feel like I've missed out on the latest expansion. Part of me wants to push for legend this season and finish up my golden rogue at the same time.

Sorry for this Live journal type post. Just throwing it out there because I haven't posted much or been in the game at all and trying to put my current thoughts on the game in words is difficult.

Pooya

last month i got lock'n load from the chest... doubt I will do much better this time.

well, I guess my NA chest isn't too bad.

1451635686-1.jpg

no interest in lock n load though, I have loads of dust right now but I have no idea what I'd craft here.

Dre

Got a golden Doomhammer (my first), last month I got a golden Totem Golem, I think Blizzard is trying to tell me something. lol

Haven't played much the past few months. Just enough to complete my daily quests and earn gold to complete the LoE expansion.

In 50 or so games this month I still managed a 70% win rate with a variety of decks.
I still need to complete Golden Rogue and I will have golden hero portraits for all the classes, so there is still something to fight for. I've just not been excited to load up the game even with a new expansion that seems to have toned down the aggro that everyone was complaining about.

I don't watch Hearthstone twitch streams as much anymore and have switch my focus to other games (Rainbow 6 Siege). Not sure if it is burnout from playing the game too much. Its not my job and I'm not a pro player so there isn't much incentive to play the game other than the joy of playing and the gold/card pack rewards.

That said, I am a little excited to try out some new decks because I have really only tried some Reno decks and some Raptor Rogue variations with the new cards and I feel like I've missed out on the latest expansion. Part of me wants to push for legend this season and finish up my golden rogue at the same time.

Sorry for this Live journal type post. Just throwing it out there because I haven't posted much or been in the game at all and trying to put my current thoughts on the game in words is difficult.

Yup, I'm in the same boat. Basically ARK drew me away again like it did around BRM. ARK and dirty bomb (and overwatch) have been the only games to draw me away from hearthstone since the hearthstone closed beta. Not that I haven't played other games, I just always played hearthstone. But ARK has so much to do... and then you feel that urge to keep going as well as protect your stuff...

After overwatch launches I'd imagine my hours with hearthstone will drop again. And xcom 2 is coming out and that will definitely draw me away (even xcom long war did a couple months ago).

This is probably the first month since basically the ranked seasons began that I didn't at least hit rank 5. And it doesn't even bother me. I got to rank 6 I think. I didn't try to hit rank 6 and barely even played this month.

Pooya

How much dust does it cost to craft Mysterious Challenger? Maybe I should craft one too instead of saving up for another legendary.

400x2 for MCs. But that's not enough you need Tirion too and another very crucial card, Coghammer. Coghammer is so good here that some started to play two of it instead of truesilver. It works great with secrets.

Overall is a relatively cheap deck when everyone has Dr. Boom. It only needs Naxx from adventures, Keeper of Uldaman is more like a tech choice, it's not necessary.

Xanathus

400x2 for MCs. But that's not enough you need Tirion too and another very crucial card, Coghammer. Coghammer is so good here that some started to play two of it instead of truesilver. It works great with secrets.

Overall is a relatively cheap deck when everyone has Dr. Boom. It only needs Naxx from adventures, Keeper of Uldaman is more like a tech choice, it's not necessary.

Tirion isn't really necessary, you can just use any other big finisher card in it's place like Ragnaros.

IceMarker

Had a spectator quest today...

svyvAbO.jpg

After a year and a half of playing this game I finally got my first Golden Legendary!

Happy New Year!

Pooya

A legendary, A golden legendary, and a playable epic.

My goodness when will my luck be that awesome.

Tell me about it, I must have opened well above 200 classic packs at this point, maybe more even. I still haven't seen a single golden legendary, I'm not even counting TGT or GvG packs which again never had a golden legendary. Two legendary in a pack? It has happened only once to me, one of which was a duplicate Nat Pagle and the other Harrison, also duplicate. It's so rare that I remember all the details still :p from classic packs, the only other playable classic legs I've opened were Al'Akir and Edwin. Gruul, Lorewalker, Nat Page, you name it I've opened several times now lol.

Malygos is one card that I didn't want to craft but really wanted and it's one card that people so frequently post here opening it, so painfully jelly.

new year's resolution, open a golden legendary I guess. never lucky.

Loomba

Playing at high ranks is sometimes hilarious, rank 19 playing a hunter. He has a secret that isn't freezing so I put Alex down on him, then next turn play Grom and go face.

Turns out it's a misdirection and hits my Alex for 10, also killing my Grom haha

Strider

waaaaait. I used Imp-losion on a divine shield minion and it did "0" damage so I got 0 imps. I didn't know it worked like that... I thought it would roll 2-4 damage still but obviously only remove the Divine shield.

Well first loss of 2016

Ridli

waaaaait. I used Imp-losion on a divine shield minion and it did "0" damage so I got 0 imps. I didn't know it worked like that... I thought it would roll 2-4 damage still but obviously only remove the Divine shield.

Well first loss of 2016

You get more imps w spell power too!

Top Bottom