• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT5| Corrupted Deeprock Salt

zer0das

Banned
I have to say, it amazes me how much Entomb and Excavated Evil help a Priest deck if you have awful card variety. Could barely ever win a ranked game, and now with the same cards except those two, I can win pretty consistently up to level 18. I mean I already knew they were good, but entombing/mind controlling everything is some obnoxious fun.

Ridli

Just ran into a hunter playing ranked with some kind of crazy combo/control hunter setup. Steam wheedle sniper + Justicar, power shot w/ spellpower, ball of spiders (!), and wild pyro/hunter's mark combos.

It's kind of a shame since dude was clearly trying to use interesting card interactions, but you just can't win having to making multiple card combos turn after turn to deal with the kind of value other control decks put out in a single card. I'd really love to see a format where that kind of deckbuilding could thrive.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I have a better idea.

3 Mana 3/3 Neutral, Battle Cry: Steal all your Opponents coins.

Synergizes with Gallywix, can be a useful card to pick from Scarab under certain circumstances.

Moonlight

Banned
Are coins really an issue? I mean, if you're Rogue, sure, but just print more class cards that generate coins or help enable combo cards. Removing cards from your opponent's hand seems like the opposite of Blizzard's design ethos for Hearthstone, anyways.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Are coins really an issue? I mean, if you're Rogue, sure, but just print more class cards that generate coins or help enable combo cards. Removing cards from your opponent's hand seems like the opposite of Blizzard's design ethos for Hearthstone, anyways.

Oh no, I just think cards to interact with coins would be cool, since Blizzard has slowly been adding (rogue) cards that generate them.

Oh, I got another one. Poor Giant, costs (1) less mana for every coin played this game.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Blizzard has been pretty clear that they don't like cards that effectively take cards out of your opponent's hand.

Note how you can't discard an opponent's cards (or change them outside of temporary mana cost effects) and can only cause them to overdraw.

Mulgrok

I must be doing something wrong with Warlock in arena. My winrate with the coin is 75%, but without the coin is 50%. That class seems to be the only one I have trouble with. EDIT: that is out of 11 runs.

EDIT2: probably has to do with opponents having board clear and the card disadvantage becomes an issue.

Oh no, I just think cards to interact with coins would be cool, since Blizzard has slowly been adding (rogue) cards that generate them.

Oh, I got another one. Poor Giant, costs (1) less mana for every coin played this game.

Play Lorewalker Cho. all their coin are belong to you

accel

IIRC it started to show up more post GvG, where eboladin started being more common. Low curve, quick to dump hand, draw a disgusting amount for 3 mana, win. By its very nature you can't drop more cards than an aggro deck, and this also punishes scenarios where you have a bad mulligan, see you're fighting an aggro deck and while literally not having a card to play benefits them into them drawing more cards...which feels awful, like you're being punished twice over. Even in its worst case getting 1-2 cards off it is alright, since arcane intellect is a static 2 for the same cost. It's only ever really a bad card when you have two of them in your hand.

This was soooo annoying when I was midrange pally a lot. I would spend 8 mana to heal and draw 3, then the aggro deck would dump shit, draw atleast the 3 I just drew at worst, but typically much more. Even if I then decide to never play lay on hands, that is a dead card in my hand that will still benefit divine favor. There's no actual counter to a card like that aside from actively avoiding any slower decks.

It goes much further.

Forget the aggro decks, let's say we are playing balanced decks (I know, right, but let's pretend).

How do you "counter" Divine Favor? Right, you try to reduce the number of cards that you have, making suboptimal plays. The paladin watches you struggle and then, if you didn't cripple yourself enough, he plays DF and draws, and if you did cripple yourself enough, he just thanks you, takes leverage from the suboptimal plays that you did *and keeps DF in hand*, forcing you to keep making suboptimal plays further. It's just not healthy. It's too powerful.

If the card cost more mana (like, 6) it might have been tolerable - it'd still have been enormously unpleasant (and I'd argue that it has no place in the game, because it screws up strategies in ways which aren't good), but at least your opponent would have paid for that. If the card had constraints like "draw at most 2 cards" it would have been OK. Etc. But as it stands now, DF is just nuts.

Mulgrok

It goes much further.

Forget the aggro decks, let's say we are playing balanced decks (I know, right, but let's pretend).

How do you "counter" Divine Favor? Right, you try to reduce the number of cards that you have, making suboptimal plays. The paladin watches you struggle and then, if you didn't cripple yourself enough, he plays DF and draws, and if you did cripple yourself enough, he just thanks you, takes leverage from the suboptimal plays that you did *and keeps DF in hand*, forcing you to keep making suboptimal plays further. It's just not healthy. It's too powerful.

If the card cost more mana (like, 6) it might have been tolerable - it'd still have been enormously unpleasant (and I'd argue that it has no place in the game, because it screws up strategies in ways which aren't good), but at least your opponent would have paid for that. If the card had constraints like "draw at most 2 cards" it would have been OK. Etc. But as it stands now, DF is just nuts.

Counter Spell, Loatheb, King Mukla... that is about it.

EDIT: I forgot mana wraith and nerub'ar weblord

Lyng

It goes much further.

Yeah DF is pretty much just a bad design. Rewarding someone for playing bad is never a good idea.

accel

I still think the design is fine, the card is just too undercosted.

Here's an illustration.

Suppose we add this card: "if your opponent has a wisp in their hand, they get +3 health each turn, otherwise they lose 3 health each turn". Let's make this card cost whatever you think it should cost - 5, 6, 7 mana, whatever. Is this a good card? You can "outplay" it by having a wisp, no? No, it's a bad card, because the "outplay" is completely binary and forces you to have a useless card.

DF isn't that ridiculous, but the point is that same as there is no shortage of interesting "good" mechanics, there is no shortage of "bad" mechanics either, and DF seems - to me at least - to be strictly in the latter camp. If it cost more, it would be less damaging, yes. But the whole idea is bad. Anyway, that's my opinion, I will shut up now.

Ladekabel

Had an intense game against a Reno Mage. Only won because I entombed his Reno. I pulled double Sneeds from Curator and he got freaking Mal'ganis from Unstable. He was down to fatigue, I was down to 1, had an Auchenai with 1 health on the field, he has the Slime from Belcher. I ran my Auchenai in his Slime, drop his Reno, heal him to mock him. Then he conceded.

Funny thing is, I finally crafted Justicar and wanted to try her. She was on the bottom of my deck.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
i dont rage at this game anymore

just stop

accel

A question:

I want to record my games so I can replay them right after and analyze why I lost, etc. I am a bit of a noob wrt screen capturing software, is there any easy to use free program you'd recommend? I don't need sound, and I imagine I don't need super-high quality either.

Thanks.

A question:

I want to record my games so I can replay them right after and analyze why I lost, etc. I am a bit of a noob wrt screen capturing software, is there any easy to use free program you'd recommend? I don't need sound, and I imagine I don't need super-high quality either.

Thanks.

If you have a newer nVidia card (700-series or up) you can use Shadowplay. Free software, works really well.

peakish

Has Blizzard ever discussed replays in public? Seems to me like it would be pretty easy to add and I've personally wanted to go back quite a few times to plays I thought cost me games to think about what I should have done differently.

accel

If you have a newer nVidia card (700-series or up) you can use Shadowplay. Free software, works really well.

Thanks. I am using NV indeed, but I mostly play from a notebook, its card might not be supported (if it is, I am all set).

Has Blizzard ever discussed replays in public? Seems to me like it would be pretty easy to add and I've personally wanted to go back quite a few times to plays I thought cost me games to think about what I should have done differently.

They said they don't have resources to do them.

If they just do a sane log (which is miles easier), they won't have to do anything, we'll make all the replay tools you'll ever need ourselves.

Not sure what to do with the 1500 gold I'm sitting on.

I suck at Arena, so that's a bit of a non-starter. I'm missing wings 3, 4 and 5 of Blackrock Mountain so I could get a couple of those, or I could just spunk it all on cards packs as my collection is a bit basic (I'm missing just over 100 classic cards, let alone the newer ones they released) which hampers which classes I can play with.

Or would I be better off just hoarding it for a rainy day?

Thanks. I am using NV indeed, but I mostly play from a notebook, its card might not be supported (if it is, I am all set).

According to this link it should work on any 600 or above card, even a mobile GPU. You can probably turn down the recording resolution, bit rate, and FPS to make the actual file very small since all you need it for is a quick rewatch and not steaming/uploadingto YouTube. The tax on your system for recording with Shadowplay is really minor so it shouldn't be an issue to run on your laptop.

Zoggy

Not sure what to do with the 1500 gold I'm sitting on.

I suck at Arena, so that's a bit of a non-starter. I'm missing wings 3, 4 and 5 of Blackrock Mountain so I could get a couple of those, or I could just spunk it all on cards packs as my collection is a bit basic (I'm missing just over 100 classic cards, let alone the newer ones they released) which hampers which classes I can play with.

Or would I be better off just hoarding it for a rainy day?

wait until you have a bad day on ladder and after losing a bunch of games buy some packs to make you happy

Just play arena, if ur collection is small building arenas is fun and even with one win you'll often only Come out like fifteen gold short, it's really not too hard to break even most times though

wait until you have a bad day on ladder and after losing a bunch of games buy some packs to make you happy

Good thinking Batman, hadn't thought of using it as a pick-me-up after getting Face Hunter'd to death.

Just play arena, if ur collection is small building arenas is fun and even with one win you'll often only Come out like fifteen gold short, it's really not too hard to break even most times though

I average 2 wins, think my highest is 4. Someone with a perfect draw always seems to steamroller my poor minions. Still, practice makes less shit perfect, as they say...

accel

I average 2 wins, think my highest is 4. Someone with a perfect draw always seems to steamroller my poor minions. Still, practice makes less shit perfect, as they say...

If you give it a go, keep in mind that the break-even point is just 3 - anything higher and arenas are better than packs. (So, you aren't far away even with 2.)

Chmpocalypse

Blizzard
Had an intense game against a Reno Mage. Only won because I entombed his Reno. I pulled double Sneeds from Curator and he got freaking Mal'ganis from Unstable. He was down to fatigue, I was down to 1, had an Auchenai with 1 health on the field, he has the Slime from Belcher. I ran my Auchenai in his Slime, drop his Reno, heal him to mock him. Then he conceded.

Funny thing is, I finally crafted Justicar and wanted to try her. She was on the bottom of my deck.

Why mock him/her? Seems like remarkably bad sportsmanship.

Just played a cool game where I was hand-warrior and my opponent was majordomo mage, with Belcher duplicate Ice armor and Ice block.

I broke his 1st ice armor with rag the turn he played majordomo, but he stabilized and was more or less able to deal with my threats, which in that deck are not extremely numerous. He was at 1 hp with no ice block but still 1 ice armor up (and with my board frozen), and I was patiently waiting to draw iron juggernaut... but then I got golden monkey. Dropped it, got etc, next turn, rogues do it for the win.

what's wrong with freeze mage :[
its a shitty, thoughtless deck. You sit idle dropping crap secrets until turn 8 where you throw down Alexstrasza, then spell spell spell death. There is no nuance in the deck. You have a single win condition and its all about trolling the other dude until you get the proper amount of mana.

Freeze Mage does nothing but encourage super aggro decks like face hunter and shitty Shaman.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"

Draws aren't your problem here. Usually it's your draft or you are misunderstanding basic tenets of Hearthstone strategy.

Owzers

Really dumb play on my part, decided to not play reno turn 6 on shaman and of course lost to burst damage. dumb dumb dumb.

Pooya

I'm about to fatigue this control priest with my midrange paladin, yeah I have done it a few times, like the only sure way to win really with a hero power every turn and they always draw more cards than you. It was going well, he even played Harrison on light's justice which was really bad play,.. then of course he thoughtsteals Tirion and I die to Ashbringer :(

Owzers

as a reward for not playing reno against shaman i got a Shadowform and King Mukla out of my two gold packs.

Does Mukla see play anywhere?

Ridli

It's the discover brawl. Played Mage and it was like an ethereal Conjurer every turn. Brawl pack even gave a golden Avenging Wrath, so not too bad!

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
I have been playing so many damn freeze mages that I teched in 1x Curse of Rafaam into my Demonzoo Warlock.

Kezan felt bad against too many classes, and even though Rafaam is also bad it at least does 2 damage against the other non-secret classes. It completely screws freeze mage though. They 100% lose if you curse them the turn you pop the ice block. It's glorious to see. Probably super-sub-optimal, but highly, highly recommended.

gutshot

I have been playing so many damn freeze mages that I teched in 1x Curse of Rafaam into my Demonzoo Warlock.

Kezan felt bad against too many classes, and even though Rafaam is also bad it at least does 2 damage against the other non-secret classes. It completely screws freeze mage though. They 100% lose if you curse them the turn you pop the ice block. It's glorious to see. Probably super-sub-optimal, but highly, highly recommended.

You probably already know this but you don't even need to pop the block for it to be lethal. Just get them down to 2. The secret won't activate on their turn.

Freeze mage is horrible, roar druid is horrible, mysterious challenger is horrible. They're all horrible. But at least there is a variety now. It use to just be patron...

Is there a better feeling than flaring Mage secrets for an easy finisher?

Having a Paladin insta-concede after giving you a 5/7 minion thanks to your spellbender secret taking his +4/+4 buff is up there for me.

Thank you to whoever in this thread reminded me of this secret a week or two ago. I've been enjoying it.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
You probably already know this but you don't even need to pop the block for it to be lethal. Just get them down to 2. The secret won't activate on their turn.

I do know that =)

The block generally gets popped anyway though because if I am winning I'll have tons of damage on board.

Top Bottom