• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT5| Corrupted Deeprock Salt

Jacobs

Priest can never win anyfin player with entomb unless the paladin player is bad with the deck. Just suicide your key murlocs with pyro and it doesnt matter what priest entomb. One warleader less wont save them. The only true win condition of priest is thoughtsteal anyfin(thats why always keep anyfin in my opener vs priest).

I won by entombing 2 warleaders and keeping hp at 30 with justicar. Also i tried to make him use all his removal and save some taunts for the second anyfin can happen. Had a lightbomb ready for use after the second murloc wave. But if the murloc player is smart he should make sure these warleaders are killed before entomb can happen.

Ridli

Are secret pallies even running Repentance now? I assume the logic is that people will play around it anyway.

Since they have to find a place for Keeper of Uldaman, most lists I've seen have leaned a bit and stick to just Avenge/Get Down/Redemption... sometimes a single competetive spirit. Though for laughs I like to throw in the odd sacred trial. It's garbage most of the times, but I think the few times it gets value more than make up for the others.

Xanathus

Are secret pallies even running Repentance now? I assume the logic is that people will play around it anyway.

Standard lists still run it as a 1 off. That's part of the reason why I prefer the less Secret heavy list because it's actually harder to play around 3-4 secrets compared to all 5 because with all 5 you pretty much know what they are.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Since they have to find a place for Keeper of Uldaman, most lists I've seen have leaned a bit and stick to just Avenge/Get Down/Redemption... sometimes a single competetive spirit. Though for laughs I like to throw in the odd sacred trial. It's garbage most of the times, but I think the few times it gets value more than make up for the others.

I thought the standard list was still double Avenge, double Get Down, and then 1x each of Competitive Spirit, Redemption, and Repentence.

To whoever suggested adding KT to Secret Pally -

CZnpfCiWAAArFY6.jpg:large

I love you.

Ridli

I thought the standard list was still double Avenge, double Get Down, and then 1x each of Competitive Spirit, Redemption, and Repentence.

I must just be seeing outliers/odd draws when I queue then. I haven't had a full tree played against me in a while. I have seen a few second redemptions saved for Tirion though.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
I must just be seeing outliers/odd draws when I queue then. I haven't had a full tree played against me in a while. I have seen a few second redemptions saved for Tirion though.

Well if you run one-of's it is still relatively easy to draw into those cards. So even with that list you might not even get the full tree half the time.

Hell the other day I literally drew into all 7 secrets before I drew my first MC. That was frustrating.

Pooya

I was like how to deal with that ashbringber next turn... then he trade his Tirion and immediately plays Muster for Battle. I guess I just dealt with Ashbringer! That was easy.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

Because it's still really helpful.

Your enemy is making suboptimal plays in order to try and play around Repentance, and between your hero power and Muster for Battle, it's really easy to remove a 1 health creature even if if you're only reducing it from two health.

Your enemy is making suboptimal plays in order to try and play around Repentance, and between your hero power and Muster for Battle, it's really easy to remove a 1 health creature even if if you're only reducing it from two health.

Of all the secrets, its the one I feel like can be dropped, especially when dropping it for a Keeper.

Apathy

Started playing again, and I quickly remembered why I have a love/hate relationship with this game, and why I quit last time. Low rank matches being filled with people with cards that outclass you, mech decks, mill decks, dragon priest, secret paladin, murloc paladin. All because there is no penalty for smurfing and when it could all be solved by having matchmaking not only be based on rank but also based on how many cards in total an individual has or if you reach a certain rank (just like 20) you can't go lower. New players have almost no chance with the cards they get.

bjaelke

Started playing again, and I quickly remembered why I have a love/hate relationship with this game, and why I quit last time. Low rank matches being filled with people with cards that outclass you, mech decks, mill decks, dragon priest, secret paladin, murloc paladin. All because there is no penalty for smurfing and when it could all be solved by having matchmaking not only be based on rank but also based on how many cards in total an individual has or if you reach a certain rank (just like 20) you can't go lower. New players have almost no chance with the cards they get.
They've already confirmed that they are working on something to help new players and it should be announced in the near future.

Apathy

They've already confirmed that they are working on something to help new players and it should be announced in the near future.

I don't keep up with HS news, just the occasional thing here or there, although I have been watching a lot more streams. Didn't know that they finally want to get around to fixing the issue.

bjaelke

I don't keep up with HS news, just the occasional thing here or there, although I have been watching a lot more streams. Didn't know that they finally want to get around to fixing the issue.
From a recent interview:
Another issue is with three adventures, each introducing a few dozen cards and two full expansions with over 120 cards apiece, how does a new player catch up? Even for players who are willing to pay real money, shelling out for $70 and still missing most of the game's popular cards may be a lot to ask.

Blizzard is not unaware of the issue with casual players and the additional obstacles a large number of cardsets can bring.

"The question is how do we deal with new players coming in and asking themselves what are the optimal cards from Naxxramas or out of the Grand Tournament or out of the League of Explorers," said Chayes. "We think we have a pretty good plan in place and some ideas. We're not quite ready to go into all the details, but we'll have a lot more to share about that pretty soon."
http://espn.go.com/esports/story/_/id/14619726/hearthstone-rise-not-growing-pains

Pooya

repentance wrecks freeze mage since it makes it much harder to just freeze + doomsayer combo the turn after MC comes down

It's great against control priest too, if you get in your hand keep it for that deathlords.

Repentance is good in mirror too, if you go first it makes theirs really awful.

accel

From a recent interview:

"The question is how do we deal with new players coming in and asking themselves what are the optimal cards from Naxxramas or out of the Grand Tournament or out of the League of Explorers," said Chayes. "We think we have a pretty good plan in place and some ideas. We're not quite ready to go into all the details, but we'll have a lot more to share about that pretty soon."

This gives some hope.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Confessor gave Aviana, and I drew into Monkey...

CVdY5aS.png

welp. Nef into soul of the forest was much more important than one mana rag/leeroy lethal.

accel

The client keeps nagging me about the fact that January is ending, presumably because I have no rank.

I am going to be that guy who not only plays with the standard back, but does not even have any of the backs - until I feel I have enough cards and enough time to make like rank 5 (and that's at least several months away). :)

PS: Nice draw above.

The client keeps nagging me about the fact that January is ending, presumably because I have no rank.

I am going to be that guy who not only plays with the standard back, but does not even have any of the backs - until I feel I have enough cards and enough time to make like rank 5 (and that's at least several months away). :)

PS: Nice draw above.

No, it bugs everyone

And you might as well play ranked to get dust/rewards at the end of the season that will help you get more cards, it's not a lot but it helps

accel

No, it bugs everyone

And you might as well play ranked to get dust/rewards at the end of the season that will help you get more cards, it's not a lot but it helps

There are material rewards, as in, it's not just the card back??? Live and learn.

Thanks, will climb a bit then.

I beat a golden warrior on my new f2p account with mostly basic cards. (Chillwind Yeti, Boulderfist Ogre and Stormwind Champion)

And a gold hunter. He was playing some weird control deck though with powershots and explosive shots.

kamakazi5

I was getting frustrated with crappy cards (OK, mostly crappy play) and finally gave in and bought 7 packs. My second pack I get a golden legendary. This is like gambling, they give you a little in order to keep bringing you back to pay more. I don't know if the card itself is any good but I got it in arena a couple times and it was pretty fun to use (Onyxia).

Edit: I got another in the next pack. Do they give you better stuff if you spend real money?

Haunted

Rank 5 reward is the only reason I still bother with constructed.
I start losing games at rank 12-11, I can't handle it. Can't handle losing on the ladder.

Too many quests in the game that punish losing to bother slowly pushing through the ranks. Every season I streak to 15, lose once and stop. Do it once more a couple weeks into the season, streak into 12-10, lose one and stop until end of season.

I swear my w/l stat on ranked the last couple months is _:2.

ViviOggi

I start losing games at rank 12-11, I can't handle it. Can't handle losing on the ladder.

Too many quests in the game that punish losing to bother slowly pushing through the ranks. Every season I streak to 15, lose once and stop. Do it once more a couple weeks into the season, streak into 12-10, lose one and stop until end of season.

I swear my w/l stat on ranked the last couple months is _:2.
What decks do you play, and are you switching to adapt to the meta? Brute forcing only works with high tier aggro decks I've found, so if you're like me and prefer combo/control you might be running into walls where switching would let you proceed easily.

This season for example I was stuck at rank 6 for days which usually doesn't happen, Renolock, Patron and Anyfin just kept getting bounced back at match point every single time. What surprisingly did the trick for me was a modified Fibonacci Control Warrior list.

gutshot

There are material rewards, as in, it's not just the card back??? Live and learn.

Thanks, will climb a bit then.

Yes, plus the card back is achieved by hitting rank 20 which is stupid easy to do since ranks 25-20 are populated by total noobs who are playing decks with stuff like Goldshire Footman and Nightblade.

Pooya

Beating a secret paladin when I'm at 4 and they are 20 over four turns, man that was just epic. rogue is so strong nerf please. I see why people run Rag now, secret paladin can't finish games sometimes and this guy had everything.

I find it helpful as the turn 1 play against classes who can put out big minions early.

The best is against a Druid who coins > innervate > innervate > huge mana minion that now just has one health. Thanks for throwing all your cards away!

I find it helpful as the turn 1 play against classes who can put out big minions early.

The best is against a Druid who coins > innervate > innervate > huge mana minion that now just has one health. Thanks for throwing all your cards away!

It's also amusing when a Preist plays a Deathlord into it. Can't help but feel for them a little bit...

Did Blizzard update something over the last day or two?

I signed in this morning and went through my collection noticing I had a lot of cards marked as new. I'm really ocd about the interface and hate having the little numbers on the tabs showing I have cards I haven't looked at cuz they are new. So I go and seek them out to take the numbers away when I noticed the cards weren't new at all. For some reason the game was saying cards I have had for month are now new. Did Blizzard reset something? Did this happen to anyone else? Or is Blizzard just fucking with me because they know I hate the game telling me I haven't looked at one of their cards?

Kunohara

Did Blizzard update something over the last day or two?

I signed in this morning and went through my collection noticing I had a lot of cards marked as new. I'm really ocd about the interface and hate having the little numbers on the tabs showing I have cards I haven't looked at cuz they are new. So I go and seek them out to take the numbers away when I noticed the cards weren't new at all. For some reason the game was saying cards I have had for month are now new. Did Blizzard reset something? Did this happen to anyone else? Or is Blizzard just fucking with me because they know I hate the game telling me I haven't looked at one of their cards?

Yeah it has happened to me as well. I like to have all the numbers up top gone as well, heh.

I've somehow went from no stars rank 8 to 2 stars into rank 5 with no losses at all. Demon zoo was the only deck I played. I've been farming druids like crazy. Thank you tempo storm for making druid #1 again and everyone playing them.

Apathy

This gives some hope.

I'm hoping they are working on more stuff they dont want to talk about, but giving a few more better cards is not solving the problem of smurfing, it's not solving the problem of full card decks that outclass what new players will get. Even by giving a few more of the better cards is not going to stop the decks that are fully constructed and are the same ones that are in Legend rank.

They really need to implement what I suggested, where passing certain ranks will make it so you can't drop lower than that rank. This will make the people that have top rank decks not be able to go back down and farm people with shit decks while they are starting out/building their collection.

Similarly if rank matchmaking was based on more than just rank and based on total cards in each persons collection and how much of a % they have gathered then it would make smurfers face smurfers

Owzers

Yeah it has happened to me as well. I like to have all the numbers up top gone as well, heh.

I've somehow went from no stars rank 8 to 2 stars into rank 5 with no losses at all. Demon zoo was the only deck I played. I've been farming druids like crazy. Thank you tempo storm for making druid #1 again and everyone playing them.

what does your demon deck look like? I'm struggling in that same range, went from Reno back to secret paladin, to druid, and now zoo at rank 7. I played most of the season with Renolock but it feels so uneven sometimes, priest/warrior i'm set, aggro if i don't draw well i'm doomed. And then secret paladins....

Tagyhag

"Oh 5 days until the new season, maybe i'll try to reach rank 5"

*Queue into THREE secret paladins in a row*

Ah, that's why I stick with arena.

I know I'm beating a dead horse here. But you have to be quite the jerk to choose such an unbalanced deck because everyone else is doing it.

And I'm still shocked that Blizzard is taking their sweet time to balance it, it's Terran in Wings of Liberty all over again.

Maybe before it's one of their own tournaments they'll decide to fix it to make it appear like the game has always been balanced competitively.

My salt grows ever stronger.

Micapo

So I just got Anub'arak from a pack. I've been fairly succesful with raptor rogue and I'm up to rank 5 now and I guess it could work in it in theory but it seems so slow.

Dabbled with it in unranked and never got the chance to play it and if a priest would entomb it the salt would be real.

Anyone had any success or hell, I'll even settle for fun with that card?

If I disenchant it I have enough dust to craft a legendary and I'm still missing out on quite a few good classic ones even though I've been playing off and on since beta (No Sylvanas, Ysera, Alexstraza, Tirion, Jaraxxus etc. yet).

Haunted

What decks do you play, and are you switching to adapt to the meta? Brute forcing only works with high tier aggro decks I've found, so if you're like me and prefer combo/control you might be running into walls where switching would let you proceed easily.

This season for example I was stuck at rank 6 for days which usually doesn't happen, Renolock, Patron and Anyfin just kept getting bounced back at match point every single time. What surprisingly did the trick for me was a modified Fibonacci Control Warrior list.
Ranked I only trust myself with (a by now probably outdated) Control Warrior and Zoolock.

I probably could have more success playing Secret Paladin or other aggressive decks (I do have a Tempo Mage deck from when Flamewakers were new...), but tend to only try out different decks in casual.

So basically I'm not serious enough about ladder to put actual effort into it, but serious enough to go online and complain about shit. :p

"Oh 5 days until the new season, maybe i'll try to reach rank 5"

*Queue into THREE secret paladins in a row*

Ah, that's why I stick with arena.

I know I'm beating a dead horse here. But you have to be quite the jerk to choose such an unbalanced deck because everyone else is doing it.

And I'm still shocked that Blizzard is taking their sweet time to balance it, it's Terran in Wings of Liberty all over again.

Maybe before it's one of their own tournaments they'll decide to fix it to make it appear like the game has always been balanced competitively.

My salt grows ever stronger.
Maybe Blizzard is just looking forward to a tournament where everyone plays Secret Paladin?

Ladekabel

Lost against a Zoolock who went face only. I could have stabilized but then a Boom Bot hit my face for 4 and he had lethal. Should really be changed so that it can hit any character.

Tagyhag

Lost against a Zoolock who went face only. I could have stabilized but then a Boom Bot hit my face for 4 and he had lethal. Should really be changed so that it can hit any character.

When I first read Dr. Boom's description, that's exactly what I thought would happen.

I wonder if he'd get any play at all if they changed it though.

Top Bottom