• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT5| Corrupted Deeprock Salt

Danj

What the heck is going on? I saved up dust for months to craft Dr. Boom and now he's going away? Do I even get anything back when that happens? Are Blizzard trying to take a page out of Wizards' book? At least Wizards don't come round your house and steal your old Magic cards off you though!

okay I just read the actual article and it seems this is just an additional play format, the cards are not actually going away, they just won't be usable within this new game format.

Panic over.

Sheroking

Not going to bother thinking about new decks in this format because that will depend entirely on the strength of the Spring expansion they stealth announced.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Two things:

1) The effective play value of Expert just increased by a ton. Craft those Malygos, Antonidases and VanCleefs because you'll be needing them a lot.

2) They need to "downgrade" cards to Expert/Basic at some point. They can't print a 3 cost 3/4 for Priest every set, and it's better if every class is given a solid foundation in Basic/Expert than for them to print new temporary foundational cards every year. Not that they can't, but it'll lead to massive UI bloat if you have 5 different, but functionally identical 3/4s and 3/2s like in Magic. I think every time a set rotates a few of its cards should be "immortalized" as Basic/Expert.

Apathy

What the heck is going on? I saved up dust for months to craft Dr. Boom and now he's going away? Do I even get anything back when that happens? Are Blizzard trying to take a page out of Wizards' book? At least Wizards don't come round your house and steal your old Magic cards off you though!

okay I just read the actual article and it seems this is just an additional play format, the cards are not actually going away, they just won't be usable within this new game format.

Panic over.

You'll be able to draft him in arenas, and use him in the "Wild" ladder, but not in the "Standard" ladder

bjaelke

You'd think the readers over at PCGamer would also do that but then you find comments like this
Except that this way people are FORCED into buying the new content if they want to participate in the new "wild" mode.

They're removing staple cards from many meta decks... People will be forced to create new decks and I;m willing to bet the new cards will fill in those spots quite nicely.

gutshot

will there be balance changes for cards in Wild mode too or will all the nerfs only affect standard? Example, if they nerf something like druid combo, will that nerf still be card based or standard only?

I can't imagine they will want two versions of the same card in your Collection manager. Now that would be confusing. Balance changes will certainly affect both formats.

It's just, going forward, new cards won't have to be balanced with cards from Naxx or GvG in mind. So if they print a card that says something like "Your minions with Deathrattle all have +3/+3" that shit could be totally broken in Wild but be worthless in Standard.

Sheroking

people will always play the best cards so even in the new format there will be these "new" 4 same cards again.

Not necessarily.

The problem with cards like Shredder and Boom is they were all-purpose. They fit into those slots and were flat out better than any of their alternatives in pretty much any deck.

Until those cards came about, there wasn't really a card that was "auto-include in every deck" to that same degree.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
I'd like to say that losing the two main defensive cards, Healbot and Sludge, means that the other fun defensive cards like Tournament Medic or Bolf Ramshield could become more viable. But unfortunately midrange Druid and Agro Shaman isn't nerfed very much by this, making for a huge need for replacement defensive cards this next update.

Overall, this feels like a way to make us pay for their balance patches. It especially doesn't help that it sounds like they're planning to destroy classic mode by throwing in a bunch of unbalanced adventure cards into it, forcing players into the new mode.

Pooya

so we have about 40 days to save up gold and dust, start today. I feel this next expansion will have many many good cards this time, it has to.

JesseZao

Can't wait for this stuff. I wonder how many old cards are going to see changes. Basic/classic cards always being available in the premier tournament format means they need to be useful.

people will always play the best cards so even in the new format there will be these "new" 4 same cards again.

Of course, but think about cards that got phased out or never saw much play because of Shredder.

Water Elemental is instantly a staple again. Druids will be running Savage Combatant for sure. Violet Teacher will probably come back in classes that aren't Rogue. Maybe Draenei Totemcarver can actually see play for once. Fireguard Destroyer might actually be the premier 4 drop for Shaman now.

Hell, maybe even Yeti comes back now.

Parshias7

Hey, wait a second! I've been sitting on a second Dr. Boom all this time and now I won't even get the full 1600 dust off of it from a nerf? Blizzard you sons of bitches!

Dragner

My nerf prediction:

-Savage roar will cost 4 mana making the combo 10 mana.
-Bye bye innervate
-Divine favor will draw a maximun number of cards, probably 3.
-Juggler wont work on summoned minions.
-Tyrion pushed to 9 mana into Cenarius tier.
-Frostbolt will cost 3 mana.
-Nerf to power overwhelming to prevent combo renolock to be an unstopable force.
-BGH nerf to 4 mana or made a 3/2.

georly

Can't wait for this stuff. I wonder how many old cards are going to see changes. Basic/classic cards always being available in the premier tournament format means they need to be useful.

A lot of them are still really really good. Especially the class cards. Wondering if they'll end up buffing magma rager and booty bay to match the grand tournament power creeped ones (if not now, then after grand tournament is phased out next year).

My nerf prediction:

-Bye bye innervate
-Nerf to power overwhelming to prevent combo renolock to be an unstopable force.

Jesus no. No to all of that.

Malice215

I was hoping for a big shake up and now we have it.

On one hand, I'm happy for the new format and related changes. On the other hand, these are still the same people who left Dr. Boom untouched for so long and thought it was okay to print a 6/6 Mad Scientist.

I still need to wait and see what changes are done to the existing cards and what cards they introduce in the expansion, but so far I'm happy. We got more deckslots, and rebalancing the game every year will keep me invested.

Dragner

Druid without Innervate and Combo...

Oh man the salt will floweth.

Dat title change.... RIP IN PEPPERONIS! :,(

Combo in turn 10, and not cheesed before, I think blizzard is ok with turn 10 combos in general (anyfin). And can still ramp with wild growth and darnassus.

Owzers

Malganis said he was eternal....he should have been specific about where he would continue to live. :(

Never use dust. Never.

I think a big takeaway from this as well is that after they change some of the basic/classic cards they'll probably never nerf a card again unless it's flat out breaking the game.

Think a card is too strong? Well, wait two years and it'll be gone. I expect that's the logic Blizzard will follow from now on.

Dragner

Also the return of traditional handlock? the deck is almost intact after rotation, only loses darkbomb and well dr. boom, like everybody.

inky

Druid without Innervate and Combo...

Oh man the salt will floweth.

Dat title change.... RIP IN PEPPERONIS! :,(

Don't give a shit about combo, I love Druid and have never used it, but Innervate nerf would make me rage. It's a powerful card, but all classes have those in one form of the other. It still has downsides to be considered balanced.

Dahbomb

Also the return of traditional handlock? the deck is almost intact after rotation, only loses darkbomb.
And Healbot, Belcher and Zombie Chow. They might nerf BGH and Owl too who knows.

But I do think Handlock will still be playable as long as they introduce a cheap replacement to Dark Bomb

Pooya

I don't think paladin will be gone but they will play a different game that what we have today. That could open up the way for mid range shaman! You can build a deck without anything from GvG or Naxx. I'm excited to play my Al'Akir finally, I maybe played it like 4 times total, it never worked out but now it's different. Thunder Bluff, Tunnel Trogg, Tuskarr Totemic, Totem Golem etc, these could be the new minibot muster curve. Except that shaman has the burst to end games too.

Apathy

My nerf prediction:

-Bye bye innervate

Savage roar to make the combo be 10 seems possible.
Juggler to not work on summoned minions will probably happen

I don't think paladin will be gone but they will play a different game that what we have today. That could open up the way for mid range shaman! You can build a deck without anything from GvG or Naxx. I'm excited to play my Al'Akir finally, I maybe played it like 4 times total, it never worked out but now it's different. Thunder Bluff, Tunnel Trogg, Tuskarr Totemic, Totem Golem etc, these could be the new minibot muster curve. Except that shaman has the burst to end games too.

Yeah, I think Shaman benefits the most out of all of this. They essentially only lose Haunted Creeper, Neptulon and Crackle. Well and Chow I guess.

2) They need to "downgrade" cards to Expert/Basic at some point. They can't print a 3 cost 3/4 for Priest every set, and it's better if every class is given a solid foundation in Basic/Expert than for them to print new temporary foundational cards every year. Not that they can't, but it'll lead to massive UI bloat if you have 5 different, but functionally identical 3/4s and 3/2s like in Magic. I think every time a set rotates a few of its cards should be "immortalized" as Basic/Expert.

This has me worried, though moreso about Arena. Average deck quality could get quite obscene.

Dragner

And Healbot, Belcher and Zombie Chow. They might nerf BGH and Owl too who knows.

But I do think Handlock will still be playable as long as they introduce a cheap replacement to Dark Bomb

yeah Im thinking about cards without inmediate replacements.

Healbot = earth ring farseer
Zombie chow = ok this hurts, but chow isnt an staple in handlock, I laddered a lot with no chows handlock.
Belcher = Tazdingo, sunwalker

yeah they are worst cards, but we have still a big expansion to come to fill the holes.

PD: agh, I forgot of cancer shaman, only loses crackle.

gutshot

My nerf prediction:

-Bye bye innervate

I thought of the same, but then realized that without Imp-losion, Muster, Shredder, Creeper, etc. will this even be a relevant change? The only thing you would be nerfing at that point is Juggler+Unleash combo. Which might be necessary, but it's hard to say without seeing what other changes they have planned and what the new set will look like.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I'm guessing Ragnaros will be subbed back in for where Boom was in a lot of decks.

He still shows up as a tech choice all the time in various decks.

Ok I'm confused, I saw there were four new pages in 8 hours so I knew Dr. Boom got nerfed or they announced an expansion and I think that may have happened? Dumb this down for me

Strider

Ok I'm confused, I saw there were four new pages in 8 hours so I knew Dr. Boom got nerfed or they announced an expansion and I think that may have happened? Dumb this down for me

New game mode featuring only classic cards and cards from newer expansions.

Also more deck slots and a few cards to receive balance changes

Dahbomb

Two formats of Constructed play, Wild and Standard.

Naxx and GvG banned from Standard, still available in Wild format. Standard will be the tournament format from now on too.

Deck slots up to 18.

More balance changes coming to classic cards (ie. the Druid combo).

Here's a semantics question for you guys;

They say they're not buffing cards but what about overhauling / changing a card out right? Would something like that still be on the plate?

Also, there's a chance I missed something explaining this already, so apologies if this is redundant.

inky

Also, I guess I'm not the first to say it, but double the deck slots with only a scroll bar is the most fucking troll thing Blizzard has ever done. LOL

Dahbomb

They say they're not buffing cards but what about overhauling / changing a card out right? Would something like that still be on the plate?

Also, there's a chance I missed something explaining this already, so apologies if this is redundant.
That depends on if you think Warsong Commander change was an overhaul or a nerf. The mechanics were completely reworked on that card.

Just been looking through the cards that some classes will be missing from "standard". Among others, Preist will lose Vol'jin and Lightbomb. Rogue lose Tinker's Oil, Warlock lose Mal'Ganis.

It's a brave new world out there, people...

Iryx

They're introducing a new format called Standard which only includes cards from the current year and previous year sets + basic and classic cards. So when Standard launches with the next expansion, GvG + Naxx won't be included.

There will also be a format called Wild which includes all cards.

And more deckslots for a total of 18.

inky

Well, that's how it worked when Unleashed the Hounds was "nerfed", but the game was in a different spot back then. Edit: Warsong is a good example I guess.

My take, no they won't do that. They'll fix up (i.e. nerf/kill/destroy) problem cards, and if they have an idea for a similar mechanic they'll just print a new card that does that. Works out well when padding new expansions too.

Pooya

`just realized Loatheb is gone too. Valeera so OP now. Nothing stops this train. I'm just going to practice miracle this month.

With that said, Kezan is gone too. Freeze Mage doesn't have a hard counter either, except control warrior.

JustinBB7

Oh wait, they don't give everybody the standard cards of course, so you still need to open packs. So standard packs are best value now right?

Dahbomb

With GvG gone like half of the strong RNG in the game will be nuked.

Unstable Portal
Crackle
Dr Boom (yes he is now finally Boom after 2 years)
Shredder
Sky Golem
Implosion
Crackle
Any card with a Spare parts mechanic
Coghammer
Power Mace
etc.

With GvG gone like half of the strong RNG in the game will be nuked.

Unstable Portal
Crackle
Dr Boom (yes he is now finally Boom after 2 years)
Shredder
Sky Golem
Implosion
Crackle
Any card with a Spare parts mechanic
Coghammer
Power Mace
etc.
You forgot to mention Crackle, that's a pretty big one for Shaman.

Sheroking

My nerf prediction:

-Bye bye innervate

Not sure many of these nerfs would actually make a difference.

Losing Innervate would hurt, but without Shredder or Shade, maybe it'd be better for a Druid to have a lower curve anyway. 10 mana combo is still viable, now there are no Belcher's or Loatheb's to stuff it for a turn.

Tirion to 9 mana still probably makes it the best classic legendary. A slower meta probably let's you play things one mana slower than you would have otherwise, and Tirion has never been anything but good.

If I had my way, BGH wouldn't be nerfed - it would be removed. A 3/2 BGH changes literally nothing. The gross thing about that card is you play it to remove a massive minion they spent their entire turn playing, and get to play something after on the same turn. Need it to cost like 5-6 mana IMO.

Top Bottom