• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT5| Corrupted Deeprock Salt

Moonlight

Banned
Time to disenchant most of my Mech Mage deck. It was good times, old friend. You were cheap to make and easy to pilot. I'll miss you.

May as well dust my Paladin deck, too. Dunno how worth it is to use that thing without the god curve of Minibot to Muster to Shredder (to Loatheb).

inky

I have 5k dust + some bonuses (for example, disenchanting cards of which I have both goldens already).

I rarely craft cards so I think I will be fine.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I guess when I get home I'll need to decided if there is any GvG cards I still want, and if its worth it to plop down a bit more cash or my gold pile on cards. I think I got everything I wanted from the set
thinking.gif

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
this will make people rethink about throwing money in packs or adventures with a expire date on them I think.

They already do. Generally, the advice for new players these days go: "Get Naxx, craft Boom/Shredder, go to town". With the way Hearthstone was going, every set was getting less and less likely to be bought because you had maybe 10 playable cards at most, and this would've just gotten worse over time.

With a rotating standard, the latest sets will always be worth a purchase because more of its cards will be relevant. Two years is long enough for people to not feel like they're throwing their money away, but at the same time short enough for the meta to keep cycling, with the exception of players joining in at the tail end of rotations.

Personally, I wanted a rotation scheme that let Blizzard mix and match sets but this is a pretty good first step. Maybe in the future we'll get a mode called "Portal" or something where they throw in 3 sets together at a time.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
They already do. Generally, the advice for new players these days go: "Get Naxx, craft Boom/Shredder, go to town". With the way Hearthstone was going, every set was getting less and less likely to be bought because you had maybe 10 playable cards at most, and this would've just gotten worse over time.

With a rotating standard, the latest sets will always be worth a purchase because more of its cards will be relevant. Two years is long enough for people to not feel like they're throwing their money away, but at the same time short enough for the meta to keep cycling, with the exception of players joining in at the tail end of rotations.

On top of this, at the start of a new cycle, it's probably going to be very hard to compete without the new cards.

There's quite a few holes without Naxx or GvG.

Personally, I wanted a rotation scheme that let Blizzard mix and match sets but this is a pretty good first step. Maybe in the future we'll get a mode called "Portal" or something where they throw in 3 sets together at a time.

So much this.

If new cards have a time clock now, they better not sit back for months and let obvious OP cards (Mysterious Challenger/Undertaker level) remain unscathed going forward.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
I feel like I need a Dimitri video where he complains about a Paladin with a Minibot/Muster/Shredder/Loatheb/Dr.Boom curve and then the girl tells him all of those cards are banned in the new standard format.

Dahbomb

I feel like I need a Dimitri video where he complains about a Paladin with a Minibot/Muster/Shredder/Loatheb/Dr.Boom curve and then the girl tells him all of those cards are banned in the new standard format.
From Dr 1 (Chow) to Dr 7 all of them are banned for Paladin...

I said WOW!

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Of course it does unless Blizzard plans to rotate cards into the Standard set. Next year BRM and TGT will probably get phased out.

I actually am surprised they aren't taking any cards out of Classic. A few cards are problematic in it, like Knife Juggler.

Dahbomb

I actually am surprised they aren't taking any cards out of Classic. A few cards are problematic in it, like Knife Juggler.
They are nerfing them which is just as good to be honest.

Just need to know the full balance change list now. Of course it all depends on the expansion too.

ViviOggi

Paladin can die for all I care but are you guys seriously thinking Brode isn't gonna print Shielded Icebot and Heckle for Battle?

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
I'm sad guys this means no more oil rogue, death's bite, shieldmaiden, belcher and chows
BibleThump.png
However this is the correct step for this game moving forward.

Pooya

It's interesting that if you don't have a card from old sets, you can't even access wild mode!

As a new player, I don’t see an option for Wild format in Play Mode. How do I play in Wild Ranked or Casual?
To unlock the option to create Wild decks and play Wild format, you can craft any card that is not part of the current Standard format. If you already have such cards in your collection, then Wild format will already be unlocked by default.

Dahbomb

Paladin can die for all I care but are you guys seriously thinking Brode isn't gonna print Shielded Icebot and Heckle for Battle?
If he does then I will uninstall the game for sure.

Also it's very possible that Blizzard shifts some cards from GvG and Naxx into Classic. Like say they move Death's Bite into Classic for Warrior.

I don't understand why Blizzard can't add a "Legacy" tab to the store so we can buy old adventures and expansions. I'm happy they're shaking up the meta but disappointed that they're completely removing old content (save spending several thousand dust).

Dahbomb

How exactly are you replacing Death's Bite?
I don't think Death's Bite will be as necessary if you don't have to worry about stuff like Muster/Implosion anymore. You can use Arcane Reaper instead or maybe they give Warrior a similar weapon in the expansion.

gutshot

If he does then I will uninstall the game for sure.

Also it's very possible that Blizzard shifts some cards from GvG and Naxx into Classic. Like say they move Death's Bite into Classic for Warrior.

If they do that, Patron Warrior will become a top-tier deck in Standard.

Pooya

I don't believe that's true. They note you can queue into Wild with a Standard deck if you want.

It's true, I put the bit from FAQ up there. Since you can't buy GvG or Naxx, a new account must go ang craft one old card to unlock the mode.
They clearly don't want you to accidentally go in there which makes sense.

Haly

I can't figure out the reason behind not making old sets purchasable. I see a few explanations but none are really convincing.

1) They want to make the store easier to use. In true Blizzard style everything needs to be accessible.

2) They want to establish Standard as the de facto official format ASAP. It's a reasonable goal but the game is advertised by streamers and the streamers will all be Wild players (not exclusively, but they'll all be playing Wild) because it's what they sunk the most time and effort into.

3) They want to increase the sales of new sets because the sets might become "rarer", or the digital equivalent of it, so it's better to complete your collection sooner than later.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I was already using a Gorehowl. Arcanite, ugh, I guess

It's worth keeping in mind all the things you're not fighting against at this point.

Most deathrattles are gone, along with two of the best taunts, so you're getting clean, efficient kills way more frequently to boot.

Cat Party

I can't figure out the reason behind not making old sets purchasable. I see a few explanations but none are really convincing.

1) They want to make the store easier to use. In true Blizzard style everything needs to be accessible.

2) They want to establish Standard as the de facto official format ASAP. It's a reasonable goal but the game is advertised by streamers and the streamers will all be Wild players (not exclusively, but they'll all be playing Wild) because it's what they sunk the most time and effort into.

3) They want to increase the sales of new sets because they might become "unavailable", or the digital equivalent of it, so it's better to complete your collection earlier than later.
Disagree on #2. Standard will quickly become the go-to mode for streamers.

Dahbomb

Serious top constructed players will stream Standard. Non serious players like Kripp will play Wild for a few days for the novelty factor, realize it's garbage then go back to Standard or Arena.

Streamers know that the viewers want to see variety in decks. No one wants to see the same old Secret Paladin stuff again. New expansion means more deck types will be used.

Haly

Disagree on #2. Standard will quickly become the go-to mode for streamers.

For the first year, certainly, but I don't think they'll all be streaming Standard forever. Just like how we have Arena streamers and Constructed streamers, we'll get Standard streamers, Wild streamers and Arena streamers.

Side note, we'll be seeing an influx of talent at the competitive level, I think, because the "buy in" for competitive Hearthstone just went down.

Pooya

I don't think it will be like that at all. If they are competitive players, it makes no sense to play wild any more and since all the esport and tournaments will be standard, people will want to watch standard anyway.

Moonlight

Banned
Serious top constructed players will stream Standard. Non serious players like Kripp will play Wild for a few days for the novelty factor, realize it's garbage then go back to Standard or Arena.

Streamers know that the viewers want to see variety in decks. No one wants to see the same old Secret Paladin stuff again. New expansion means more deck types will be used.
Is Wild really that novel, though? It's the same game we're playing right now. Maybe whenever a new set comes out and people try dumb interactions with the new cards and banned stuff, but I doubt the majority of streamers serious or non-serious are going to spend much time at all mucking about outside Standard.

Standard is set up as what they'll be using in tournaments so streamers that go for blizz points will either exclusively or spend majority time in standard

Grover

Banned
yea i think streamers will go standard,

reynad specifically was just going on and on about how much he hates RNG cards like implosion and shredder

although tempo mage still has an enormous amount of RNG

Haly

Standard is set up as what they'll be using in tournaments so streamers that go for blizz points will either exclusively or spend majority time in standard

Oh, I didn't know this. Nevermind then.

Top Bottom