• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT5| Corrupted Deeprock Salt

Tarazet

Anyone want to list the big cards each class lost. I don't have the time to compile a list apart from what comes off the top of my head.

Warrior: Death's Bite, Shieldmaiden, Crush
Shaman: Crackle, Reincarnate, Whirling Zap-o-Matic, Neptulon
Priest: Dark Cultist, Shrinkmeister, Velen's Chosen, Shadowbomber, Lightbomb
Paladin: Avenge, Muster for Battle, Shielded Minibot, Coghammer, Quartermaster
Hunter: Webspinner, Glaivezooka, Cobra Shot, Gahz'rilla
Warlock: Voidcaller, Imp-losion, Darkbomb, Mal'ganis
Druid: Poison Seeds, Anodized Robo Cub, Grove Tender
Rogue: Tinker's Sharpsword Oil, Goblin Auto-Barber
Mage: Duplicate, Flamecannon, Snowchugger, Unstable Portal

Those are the ones I know of that got at least some play.

Edit: Added more.

Tacitus_

ok there are like 5 mechs now!

One thing that I didn't see any answer for is reward set actually. Can you play E.T.C. in standard? Not even Blizzard cared to answer that.

ETC is a "reward" type card. There's also Mekkatorque and Murkeye in that tier. And that parrot.

50-50 on whether it'll be legal. Though not allowing those castrates Anyfin which could be good for the game.

And you think Blizz will stop releasing RNG cards like those in the future expansions that will be a part of standard?

Nothing will change. The clearly haven't learned any lessons with power creep and will continue to make cards with the same mentality they have now. Only big difference is players get royally screwed over with their collection and will have no choice but to start paying Blizz for card packs of the newest set in order to have any chance at being competitive in standard mode since you can't use the cards you obtained from the set prior. The only other alternative would be to dust the majority of your cards every time the standard block switches to the next which fucks you over from doing wild mode in which case, bye bye variety in modes to play.

Not being able to purchase old set packs and adventures with gold is asinine and resorting to the god awful disenchant to creation dust cost can fuck off. They go through with this they need to make adjustments to the cost in crafting cards but they won't because every year Blizz has been showing their greed knows no bounds. They want people to be forced into buying a ridiculous number of packs from the current set on the rotation and be forced to dust a ridiculous number of cards to make the ones they actually need since that will equal much more profit for them since one can no longer pay 100g for a G&G pack and get that one legendary, or pay 700g for that Naxx wing for Loatheb.
I believe Blizzard has been on the right track since LoE. Those cards showed some real thought and the Discover mechanic the right way to do RNG. Personally, I am looking forward to our HS future. The game is heading to a great place.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Mad Scientist finally gone. I could cry. No Kezan sucks tho, but one can't have everything.

Kezan is less needed with Mad Scientist gone. Freeze Mage wont be essentially guaranteed to get ice block now.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
what if blizzard "fixes" everything and it's still just all aggro?

I am not opposed to Aggro being good. A healthy meta SHOULD have aggro decks that are viable. It just shouldn't be the only thing that is viable. Sadly, the ranked system rewards fast games and AFAIK that isn't changing so I doubt aggro is going away. Hopefully they can find a happy place that lets Control decks and combo decks compete.

I still suspect that regardless of what anyone does, laddering is going to mean facing LOTS of face-y/aggro decks. Simply because those decks produce fast wins and that is the quickest way to rank up.

Raxus

Warrior: Death's Bite
Shaman: Crackle, Reincarnate
Priest: Dark Cultist
Paladin: Avenge, Muster for Battle, Shielded Minibot
Hunter: Webspinner
Warlock: Voidcaller, Imp-losion
Druid: Poison Seeds, Anodized Robo Cub
Rogue: Tinker's Sharpsword Oil, Goblin Auto-Barber
Mage: Duplicate, Flamecannon, Snowchugger

Those are the ones I know of that got at least some play.

Malganis too for Warlock. Priest lost light bomb (ouch add that to base set)

I think the biggest neutral lost was haunted creeper, belcher, death lord, zombie chow, unstable ghoul, nerubian egg and mechs.

Druid seems to be the only class to get out relatively unscathed.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
Malganis too for Warlock. Priest lost light bomb (ouch add that to base set)

I think the biggest neutral lost was haunted creeper, belcher, death lord, zombie chow, unstable ghoul, nerubian egg and mechs.

Mages lose the E-Sportal (Unstable Portal) too.

Raxus

Damn it Malganis too? Shit its one of the few legendaries i crafted.

Demonlock is essentially dead. Not a big deal. Renolock, giants, and zoo are still relatively unscathed. Did I say fuck warlocks because fuck warlocks.

Antique Healbot MUST be added to the basic set IMO.

Tarazet

The best thing about this, for me, is that I held off crafting what I needed for Secret Paladin. But we'll have to see what happens to Midrange Druid. Only losing Dr. Boom seems like they got off really easy, especially since they have Ancients that fit right into that slot. And Shredder can be replaced with any number of beefy 4 drops.

Raxus

31.gif

Miss me boys and girls?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
What even was the in Meta Mage before GvG, I can't even remember. Was it still Freeze?

Yes, though I guess there was also value-removal Mage where you played really standard high value minions and then used things like Fireball and Flamestrike to try and win on board control.

Or, put another way, essentially imagine a Mage Arena deck run in Constructed.

Raxus

I wonder what Mage is going to do at this point.

Pretty much all of their currently played decks got hit hard.

Tempo is my guess. Losing their filter and flame cannon really hits home.

Freeze took a big hit but it can still compete I'd assume. I'd like to take a minute to remind everyone that mage arguably has the best base set out of all the classes. Strong spells, great legendary, and Kezan is out of the picture.

Skux

So the cards I paid money for become completely obsolete? And when an expansion is released, all of those cards will also one day be unplayable too?

Wild mode just seems like a dumping ground. Blizzard won't support it, tournaments won't use it, streamers won't play it, all the rewards you get will be for Standard cards.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Pyroblast 10 -> 8
Blizzard 6 -> 5
Cone of Cold 4 -> 3
Frost Nova 3 -> 2

smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Yes, though I guess there was also value-removal Mage where you played really standard high value minions and then used things like Fireball and Flamestrike to try and win on board control.

Or, put another way, essentially imagine a Mage Arena deck run in Constructed.

Is Arena going to be standard only?

from the pc gamer article http://www.pcgamer.com/ben-brode-on...-has-to-ditch-the-old-card-expansions/#page-2

PC Gamer: Can you give me any more insight into the rebalancing work you’re planning for the Classic and Basic cards?
BB: We are discussing this right now. It’s going to be a bigger balancing move than we’ve ever done for Hearthstone, but not wildly bigger. The goal here in general, with the whole Standard format, is to make the game able to shift more dynamically when new content is released. When we are looking at cards in the Basic and Classic sets, some of those cards are so powerful, and are used in so many decks, that it makes it hard for us.
If Piloted Shredder was in Basic or Classic, it would be on the list of cards to nerf because it really does affect our ability to make sets that have four-drops that are really going to shake things up. So I don’t know exactly which cards we’re going to nerf, and I don’t know exactly how many, but that’s the kind of thing we’re looking at—just to make sure that Standard is able to reach its goal of being a dynamic format?
PC Gamer: Okay, but are we talking more than 10 cards? Less than 20?
BB: Certainly less than 20 but definitely more than 2. [Laughs]
We’re not planning on buffing cards. In general buffing cards comes with a lot of downside.
PC Gamer: How about the Druid combo?
BB: I’ll say that Druid in general is one of our biggest concerns for being dynamic in a format where we have rotating sets, because so many of the cards that Druids are most drawn to are from the Basic and Classic sets. It’s really important to have strong Basic and Classic cards, but they have a higher percentage of very strong Basic and Classic cards than any other class.

Standard mode aka as "I hope you like dying to Savage roar + Force of nature combo"

Blizzard, just get rid of "Charge" and make better board clears as comeback mechanic.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Crazy theory: The complete removal of letting new players get old Adventures is a decoy, planted so it would take the bulk of the heat for the update. That way when Blizzard backpedals it, the community will be happy over Blizzard listening to them.

Magnus

Crazy stuff. Exciting.

In traditional CCGs, individual cards have their 'errata' updated or whatever, right? Those are the nerfs/changes?

This approach is about entire sets. It's a bit puzzling to me. It's a bit of a blanket solution to get rid of some cards....and some possibly questionable design decisions that the community's been irate about, like Mad Scientist/Dr. Balanced, etc.

What are everyone's thoughts?

Mixed2k

I wonder if some cards will shift to the classic set, my mind is all kinds of fucked trying to imagine the game without a bunch of the staple cards, (not the OP ones, but the good ones like death's bite, healbot, voidcaller/malganis, lightbomb etc).

I also feel kinda bad knowing that my collection will be completely worthless when the update launches. It took so long as a full f2p player to get them :(

I better keep saving my gold for the new cards.

Grover

Banned
Wild will never be barren, at worst it'll become an eternal hell of curvegod bots farming rank 5 rewards.

thats my fear, i actually like cards like Lightbomb, Ancient of War, and stuff, and put in alot of effort to get them, now you're telling me the only chance i get to play them is against wildly OP and imbalanced decks

Top Bottom