• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT5| Corrupted Deeprock Salt

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Yeah, the new expansion should see entirely new arch types, unless Blizzard fucks up and just reintroduces 1:1 replacements for most of them.

Like a Paladin Secret that give a minion +2/+3.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I would've expected them to maintain two leagues but if they're not then RIP Wild.

Dahbomb

Is Wild really that novel, though? It's the same game we're playing right now. Maybe whenever a new set comes out and people try dumb interactions with the new cards and banned stuff, but I doubt the majority of streamers serious or non-serious are going to spend much time at all mucking about outside Standard.
I think some casual streamers like Day9 will try Wild mode here and there just for the lulz but the serious players will be on Standard for sure.

So is joust a good mechanic yet?
Nope.

I can't figure out the reason behind not making old sets purchasable. I see a few explanations but none are really convincing.

1) They want to make the store easier to use. In true Blizzard style everything needs to be accessible.

2) They want to establish Standard as the de facto official format ASAP. It's a reasonable goal but the game is advertised by streamers and the streamers will all be Wild players (not exclusively, but they'll all be playing Wild) because it's what they sunk the most time and effort into.

3) They want to increase the sales of new sets because the sets might become "rarer", or the digital equivalent of it, so it's better to complete your collection sooner than later.

4. The new cards they are going to print are going to be much stronger versions of the older cards, so everybody rebuys their entire set every year.

This would make old adventures a joke and they don't want to spend time balancing them or working on the AI when you'll blow away the bosses.

So they are removing them instead.

I think some casual streamers like Day9 will try Wild mode here and there just for the lulz but the serious players will be on Standard for sure.

To begin with, for sure. But this could also be a sfxt situation where Blizzard make standard the ...standard for their tournament, but everybody else sticks with wild because standard ends up sucking like being dominated by one single deck.
Time will tell.

Pooya

I'm not sure why they even added Gorilla bot in LoE if they were going to remove mechs from the game. There are like two mechs in the game now, harvest golem and alarm-o-bot I think.

So no point in playing it now. It just looks like they didn't plan this that far ahead. It's always going to discover harvest golem, alarm-o-bot and itself...

Dahbomb

I'm not sure why they even added Gorilla bot in LoE if they were going to remove mechs from the game. There are like two mechs in the game now, harvest golem and alarm-o-bot I think.

So no point in playing it now. It just looks like they didn't plan this that far ahead. It's always going to discover harvest golem, alarm-o-bot and itself...
We probably will get new Mechs in the expansion. But yeah that seems like a huge design oversight LMAO!

How DARE you forget Demolisher

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
I'm pretty sure this will lead to the inevitable death of "Wild" as a format. For the same reasons that it has died in every other card game, lack of support. While the limited format (Type II in MTG and Hearthstone's Standard), gives the designers room to support new players and new ideas without crowding the design space, I think Blizzard choosing to go this route is disappointing. They seem to have chosen a familiar concept instead of pushing the boundaries.

Hearthstone is a DIGITAL game, they have the power to change every card ever made. Un-make cards, change cards, rework cards, rebalance cards, re-order entire sets, move cards from one set to another, etc. They have myriad options that aren't available to a physical card game due to not having any physical parts. Blizzard could have done some or all of those things to make the game better or easier for new players while not completely removing old cards and content (adventures). It seems like an admission of defeat. "We couldn't find a better way than what Magic was doing. Sorry guys! Here's Magic Type II - Hearthstone Edition!" Maybe they did try a lot of these things but just aren't talking about them or found some other good reason not to do them, but they didn't seem to address that at all in anything I've read.

I just wonder why they would want stick to the trappings of a physical game when they aren't bound by those things at all. I wouldn't want them to hold some ideal of physicality so highly that they ignore all the options available to them.

gutshot

4. The new cards they are going to print are going to be much stronger versions of the older cards, so everybody rebuys their entire set every year.

This would make old adventures a joke and they don't want to spend time balancing them or working on the AI when you'll blow away the bosses.

So they are removing them instead.

Why do you think that they are just going to continue to release better and better versions of old cards? The rotation ensures they don't have to do that while still forcing people to buy new cards if they want to keep up in Standard.

sibarraz

Banned
They still have Uldaman, Horserider, Knife Juggler, Murloc Knight, Secret Keeper, Divine Favor, and other cards to work with. You can still make an aggro Secret Pally list and do well, just replace those slots with other stuff.

Dr 6 is still going to be godlike if it's unchanged.

Avenge was the most important card of the secrets, without it Secret paladin isn't THAT annoying

Raxus

I like the idea of Standard but I do hope they do add particular cards to the base set ala Magic. Cards like Death's Bite, Sludge Belcher, Muster/Avenge, Loatheb, etc.

Shredder can burn in hell.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member

Clockwork Knight! Never forget him!

EDIT: Horribly beaten by my own lack of reading.

Dahbomb

I'm pretty sure this will lead to the inevitable death of "Wild" as a format. For the same reasons that it has died in every other card game, lack of support. While the limited format (Type II in MTG and Hearthstone's Standard), gives the designers room to support new players and new ideas without crowding the design space, I think Blizzard choosing to go this route is disappointing. They seem to have chosen a familiar concept instead of pushing the boundaries.

Hearthstone is a DIGITAL game, they have the power to change every card ever made. Un-make cards, change cards, rework cards, rebalance cards, re-order entire sets, move cards from one set to another, etc. They have myriad options that aren't available to a physical card game due to not having any physical parts. Blizzard could have done some or all of those things to make the game better or easier for new players while not completely removing old cards and content (adventures). It seems like an admission of defeat. "We couldn't find a better way than what Magic was doing. Sorry guys! Here's Magic Type II - Hearthstone Edition!" Maybe they did try a lot of these things but just aren't talking about them or found some other good reason not to do them, but they didn't seem to address that at all in anything I've read.

I just wonder why they would want stick to the trappings of a physical game when they aren't bound by those things at all. I wouldn't want them to hold some ideal of physicality so highly that they ignore all the options available to them.
It's hardly surprising given that HS has always been MTG-lite.

yea i think streamers will go standard,

reynad specifically was just going on and on about how much he hates RNG cards like implosion and shredder

And you think Blizz will stop releasing RNG cards like those in the future expansions that will be a part of standard?

Nothing will change. The clearly haven't learned any lessons with power creep and will continue to make cards with the same mentality they have now. Only big difference is players get royally screwed over with their collection and will have no choice but to start paying Blizz for card packs of the newest set in order to have any chance at being competitive in standard mode since you can't use the cards you obtained from the set prior. The only other alternative would be to dust the majority of your cards every time the standard block switches to the next which fucks you over from doing wild mode in which case, bye bye variety in modes to play.

Not being able to purchase old set packs and adventures with gold is asinine and resorting to the god awful disenchant to creation dust cost can fuck off. They go through with this they need to make adjustments to the cost in crafting cards but they won't because every year Blizz has been showing their greed knows no bounds. They want people to be forced into buying a ridiculous number of packs from the current set on the rotation and be forced to dust a ridiculous number of cards to make the ones they actually need since that will equal much more profit for them since one can no longer pay 100g for a G&G pack and get that one legendary, or pay 700g for that Naxx wing for Loatheb.

gutshot

Dude, it took them 2 years to add a scrollbar to the Collection Manager. You think they could keep up with a constantly shifting meta of thousands of cards and a myriad of possible card combinations?

Yeah, I guess they took the easy route, but if easy means less frustrating for the players, than I am all for it.

Pooya

ok there are like 5 mechs now!

One thing that I didn't see any answer for is reward set actually. Can you play E.T.C. in standard? Not even Blizzard cared to answer that.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
My biggest remaining question is this:

1) Do cards get reprinted eventually? A year and a half from now do we see a Dr. Boom reprint to put him back in Standard? I would imagine so (not necessarily that card specifically, just the concept)
2) When/If a card is reprinted, can the version from the old set be used in a deck? God I hope so.

We probably will get new Mechs in the expansion. But yeah that seems like a huge design oversight LMAO!

They're going to have to release a ton of mech support cards to make them worthwhile. GvG gave us Mech Warper, Tinker Town Technician, and a bunch of class cards like Iron Sensei, Blast Mage, Power Mace, and Repair Bot that worked with mechs. Without Mech Warper or a replacement for it, the mech tag isn't worth much.

G.ZZZ

The idea of BGH hitting 8 power minions is perfect actually. It still hit giants, but don't instakill some interesting legendaries like illidan, rafaam etc.... while still killing dragons and giants . This mean dr. boom will be OP as fuck in wild but they probably won't give a shit.

Not sure how I feel about this. One one hand, this'll really shake things up, and gets rid of some of the really imbalanced cards. On the other hand, it kinda feels like tossing the baby out with the bathwater. Dragon Priest could be pretty strong in the new Standard... until the year ends and it becomes complete garbage because all of its dragons are now banned. Not as big a problem for people with a ton of cards already, but newer players could get screwed if a new year's turnover essentially deletes their deck. (until they move over to Wild and get wrecked by Dr. Boom)

One worry is if this gives Blizzard an opening to "re-print" cards. Like Antique Healbot isn't exactly OP, but is a useful anti-aggro tool, and is now banned from Standard. So what does Blizzard do to introduce anti-aggro tools back into Standard? Put Antique Healbot into the new set? Print an Anti-Killbot that is only vaguely different from an older card?
If they're smart, they'll take a few cards from each season and make them part of the core class cards to keep things viable.

Why do you think that they are just going to continue to release better and better versions of old cards? The rotation ensures they don't have to do that while still forcing people to buy new cards if they want to keep up in Standard.

So people keep playing/paying and getting excited.

They can power creep every single card every year now.

Raxus

So can Muster

I hate it to but Paladins lose a ton in the rotation so I figured they might as well keep something. Though I suspect many would want to keep muster over avenge. Personally Paladin has plenty of good tools in the base set. Priest is fine too apart from losing its 3 drops, easily remedied with adding Death Lord or Dark Cultist to the base set. Shamans are going to get boned without major revisions. Losing Crackle REALLY hurts. Warlocks can go fuck themselves, Rogues losing oil really hurts as well, Druids are fine as well. It is no big deal they lost Dr. 7 unless they nerf Savage Roar. Hunter and Mage base sets are crazy as well so fuck them as well. Hunter only loses a handful of good cards easily replaced and Mad Scientist deserves to burn in the lowest pits of hell for eternity. The loss of Mad Scientist is the most exciting thing about Standard.
Mechs are pretty much nuked.

Next year Dragon will get nuked when BRM and TGT are rotated out. Kibler am cry.
It is for the best if they ever intend to keep introducing new mechs and dragons to keep things fresh.

Dahbomb

If they're smart, they'll take a few cards from each season and make them part of the core class cards to keep things viable.
Yeah they kinda need to put stuff like Death's Bite and Cultists into the core cards. Even stuff like Unstable Ghoul and Duplicate. Naxx introduced some annoying cards but it introduced some essential class cards too.

Haly

Keep Shieldbot.

Nerf to 2/1 in the overhaul.

Gut Knife Juggler.

There.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>

This is literally the exact opposite of the situation.

If they didn't create formats, they'd be forced to either power creep or continue making new sets with few playable cards.

If they do create formats, they can keep the power level roughly stable while also introducing new cards, as old staple cards rotate out of format.

But they don't have to make cards stronger than what you already have anymore. Your incentive to buy the new cards comes from losing a large chunk of your old collection. You'll need the new sets to replace key drops that you lose when the old sets get rotated out.

Haly

I can't wait to craft my class' staples over and over again!

It'll feel just like MTG Standard except it won't cost $50 a pop!

Joking.

gutshot

Huh? What you are saying makes no sense. People will keep paying because they have to or be gimped by only being able to make decks from Basic/Classic cards. This change is how they are trying to end power creep.

Raxus

This is literally the exact opposite of the situation.

If they didn't create formats, they'd be forced to either power creep or continue making new sets with few playable cards.

If they do create formats, they can keep the power level roughly stable while also introducing new cards, as old staple cards rotate out of format.

Not to mention it allows them to ban cards with little fuss as opposed to them nerfing things into oblivion.

Raxus

Anyone want to list the big cards each class lost. I don't have the time to compile a list apart from what comes off the top of my head.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
So is joust a good mechanic yet?

Lets take a bet.

Will there 2 or more Joust Cards in the next expansion, or less?

I'm going with 0.

Hey, I have a question. How does Discover interact with Standard? Can you discover a card that isn't in Standard?

Anyone here going to dust their Dr Boom?

Not me man, this card has provided me with too many wins to DE. Plus I might tinker around with Wild every now and then.

If I learned anything from this past Tavern Brawl is that building crazy combo decks is a whole lot of fun. Eventually Wild could become a place where you bust out your tricks and enjoy some crazy, crazy gameplay.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
Dude, it took them 2 years to add a scrollbar to the Collection Manager. You think they could keep up with a constantly shifting meta of thousands of cards and a myriad of possible card combinations?

Yeah, I guess they took the easy route, but if easy means less frustrating for the players, than I am all for it.

I'm just disappointed that they didn't try. It had the opportunity to do something unique and instead chose to do the same thing as everyone else. Not surprising, just sad. My hope was they would squish the sets down. Remove all the shit-tier cards they have made over the years and compact all the new/old cards they wanted to keep into the classic and base sets. Start over but without dividing the player-base (at least for a while until Wild is a barren wasteland) and do something interesting and unique. Call it the Yearly Hearthstone Cataclysm. You can have that idea for free, Blizzard! Maybe they tried all that and none of it worked. I hope they did, I would love to hear their process on deciding to go with this format.

Ah well. Anyone want to take bets on how soon the Wild format will be a barren wasteland? I'm guessing a year at most maybe even within the year.

Dahbomb

They should just go full kusoge mode with Wild format at this point.

Allow any class to use any Legendary from any other class.
Allow up to 20 mana crystals cap.
Allow players to make a deck with upto 50 cards if they want.
Allow 4 copies of a card to be used in a deck and double Legendaries.
Start with 2 mana crystals.
Change mulligan mechanics (guaranteed not to get the same card again)

Keep changing rulesets every year just for the hell of it.

Haly

They should just go full kusoge mode with Wild format at this point.

Allow any class to use any Legendary from any other class.
Allow up to 20 mana crystals cap.
Allow players to make a deck with upto 50 cards if they want.
Allow 4 copies of a card to be used in a deck and double Legendaries.

crazy.gif
crazy.gif
crazy.gif

Top Bottom