• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT5| Corrupted Deeprock Salt

Tarazet

I also feel kinda bad knowing that my collection will be completely worthless when the update launches. It took so long as a full f2p player to get them :(

I better keep saving my gold for the new cards.

It's definitely going to stop me spending my gold on TGT packs. The number of cards I absolutely need from that set is tiny and far from essential, and now that they have a looming expiration date on them, that makes them even less attractive.

No regrets about buying all the expansions with real money.

_DrMario_

thats my fear, i actually like cards like Lightbomb, Ancient of War, and stuff, now you're telling me the only chance i get to play them are against wildly OP and imbalanced decks

Oh I'm sure they'll make another extremely similar card for you to buy again.

So when are they announcing the next expansion?

I'd say the next expansion will drop within the next 2 months. It's already late to be announced.

I for one am excited for our new Standard overlords. The game was slowly getting more and more stagnant. And I've been playing nothing but Arena and haven't disenchanted cards in forever. Hopefully we'll get some nerfs. Trump was saying that Freeze Mage is likely to be nerfed in some way and I have to agree with him. Brode has mentioned nerfing it before and I can't imagine he would forget about it moving forward.

Zemm

Wild mode is going to be full of secret paladins and combo druids reminiscing about the good old days whilst trying to outscum each other. Watching streams of wild mode will be like watching some 55 year old boxer coming out of retirement.

Wild mode is going to be full of secret paladins and combo druids reminiscing about the good old days whilst trying to outscum each other. Watching streams of wild mode will be like watching some 55 year old boxer coming out of retirement.

You do realize that combo druid will be nuts in Standard?

Celegus

Changes all sound really great. Especially for a newcomer, that's gotta be downright frightening seeing how much content other people have access to when you're just starting out.

Tarazet

thats my fear, i actually like cards like Lightbomb, Ancient of War, and stuff, and put in alot of effort to get them, now you're telling me the only chance i get to play them is against wildly OP and imbalanced decks

Ancient of War is from Classic.

Grover

Banned
So I guess I won't be buying any more GVG packs.

Shame, spent 500 gold on some last night.

i literally just bought a GvG pack today after i learned the news, if i cant buy the packs anymore that means im going to be forced to craft the legendaries, 1600 dust is an ungodly amount to me, i have to roll my dice on these epics and legendaries while i still can, all im going to buy are GvG packs until i cant anymore

Voljin and Malganis are 2 legendaries is really want from the set, the only neutral one i want is Sneeds i think

Tagyhag

i literally just bought a GvG pack today after i learned the news, if i cant buy the packs anymore that means im going to be forced to craft the legendaries, 1600 dust is an ungodly amount to me, i have to roll my dice on these epics and legendaries while i still can, all im going to buy are GvG packs until i cant anymore

Haha I understand. I won't be playing Wild though so no reason to craft any gvg legendaries.

I never even made a Dr. Boom.

gutshot

I wonder how they'll handle tribes going forward since except for dragons they're all dead in the water.

Most likely focus on making one or two really strong tribes per Standard season. Mechs had their time in the sun, now it is time for Dragons to shine. At least until the start of the next Standard season.

Crazy stuff. Exciting.

In traditional CCGs, individual cards have their 'errata' updated or whatever, right? Those are the nerfs/changes?

This approach is about entire sets. It's a bit puzzling to me. It's a bit of a blanket solution to get rid of some cards....and some possibly questionable design decisions that the community's been irate about, like Mad Scientist/Dr. Balanced, etc.

What are everyone's thoughts?

Almost all traditional CCGs have this rotating sets format. It's the only way to keep the game fresh without incessant power creep.

When does this all go into effect?

My guess is sometime in March. March 1 would be good since it would be the start of a new Ranked season and also falls on Tuesday. That doesn't give them much time to announce and tease a whole new expansion whoever.

tylerf

Thank god they're taking away the GvG cards that made Paladin not suck so that we can buy more packs to get the next cards they release to fix it again.

Sheroking

I know its not a big difference but something needs to be done with BGH, card is needed, but card cant trade with a 4 drop after killing a 7 drop, thats bonkers for 3 mana, so the mechanic should stay but the stats should eb lowered, or make it higher cost.

I honestly don't think the card is needed. It's probably the single most restrictive, damaging card in Hearthstone history.

Just think about it: Because this card exists, any minion with 7 or more attack is universally worse than any minion with 6 attack. Every single card that has more than 7 attack would be buffed by reducing it's stats. That's insane.

Every class already has hard removal. My vote is remove the card entirely.

Sheroking

Thank god they're taking away the GvG cards that made Paladin not suck so that we can buy more packs to get the next cards they release to fix it again.

Well, they're not actually taking them away. Wild exists.

If you don't care for Wild, disenchant all the unnecessary cards and use that dust to enchant the new expansion cards for Pally.

Owzers

220px-Whatdreamsposter.jpeg

I'll never leave you Reno, I'll go where you go.

*after one day of Ladder Hell*

Goodbye Reno!

I'm pretty sure this will lead to the inevitable death of "Wild" as a format. For the same reasons that it has died in every other card game, lack of support. While the limited format (Type II in MTG and Hearthstone's Standard), gives the designers room to support new players and new ideas without crowding the design space, I think Blizzard choosing to go this route is disappointing. They seem to have chosen a familiar concept instead of pushing the boundaries.

Hearthstone is a DIGITAL game, they have the power to change every card ever made. Un-make cards, change cards, rework cards, rebalance cards, re-order entire sets, move cards from one set to another, etc. They have myriad options that aren't available to a physical card game due to not having any physical parts. Blizzard could have done some or all of those things to make the game better or easier for new players while not completely removing old cards and content (adventures). It seems like an admission of defeat. "We couldn't find a better way than what Magic was doing. Sorry guys! Here's Magic Type II - Hearthstone Edition!" Maybe they did try a lot of these things but just aren't talking about them or found some other good reason not to do them, but they didn't seem to address that at all in anything I've read.

I just wonder why they would want stick to the trappings of a physical game when they aren't bound by those things at all. I wouldn't want them to hold some ideal of physicality so highly that they ignore all the options available to them.
I don't disagree with you, but this is the way it's going.

Yeah they kinda need to put stuff like Death's Bite and Cultists into the core cards. Even stuff like Unstable Ghoul and Duplicate. Naxx introduced some annoying cards but it introduced some essential class cards too.

Yeah, and I heard that Kel'Thuzad and Baron Rivendare are totally essential and should stay in, too! >_>

peakish

Aha! My choice not to buy any GnG or Naxrammas stuff pays off. My bad deck already feels stronger!

Looking forward to hearing about the changes to classic.

Jesus...standard just nerfed Priest completely, once more, just as it was becoming a competent class. I don't even see how the class is playable without deathlord, dark cultist, lightbomb, velen's chosen, etc.

Knowing entomb will only be a hard-counter for 2 years at best is disappointing as well...

Majine

Banned
Jesus...standard just nerfed Priest completely, once more, just as it was becoming a competent class. I don't even see how the class is playable without deathlord, dark cultist, lightbomb, velen's chosen, etc.
We're not getting the full picture without knowing the changes to the Classic cards as well as the new expansion.

Certain classes are going to need a lot of love in the new expansion, I'm sure they will not leave a class totally gimped...LOL

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
An easy change for Blizzard. Instead of dealing with problem cards they can just sit on their hands until they fall out of being "standard" cards. Moving forward I'm expecting a lot of repetition in card design and exacerbated class balance problems. Also a hilarious way to exploit the community. Changing a card means players can dust it, but retiring cards means that players just have something in their roster that isn't very useful in the main format of play.

jgminto

Knowing entomb will only be a hard-counter for 2 years at best is disappointing as well...
There's still Dragon Priest.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Alright. Decided to grab a few TgT packs with gold since I'm sort of lacking, and got a Golden Sarrad with my first pull. Good stuff.

I wonder if there will be a "Clearance Sale" for GvG cards before they are taken off the market.

Owzers

As far as helping new players, my five months of play so far I've spent my dust crafting the very best stuff i could so i don't have the full classic set or legendaries like Ragnaros or Alex because i went for Boom and Malganis instead. I don't feel like this has helped me much at all, i probably shouldn't have started hearthstone when i did.

Top Bottom