• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT5| Corrupted Deeprock Salt

I'm so torn. I have an almost complete collection from all sets. I love what this does to the meta, but I feel like an idiot buying and crafting all these now-useless cards.

Overall, yay.

I mean, you can still use things in Wild, witch still grants you rewards. Outside of professional tournaments, I don't see how old cards are now 'useless.'

However, it does really depend on how wild Wild gets. It is very possible for things to just explode out into insane overpowered decks that are actually unstoppable.

There's already enough Undead in the game to have more in the tribe then dragons. Elementals are the same, but not as much as Undead.

I guess with Naxx being thrown out we are losing the majority, though. But there is still quite a few. I'm marking some with maybe because I can't actually tell, but they look like it in the portrait -

Sylvanas Windrunner
Eydis Lightbane
Fjola Darkbane
The Black Knight
The Skeleton Knight
Fallen Hero
Spawn of Shadows (maybe)
Undercity Valiant
Cutpurse (maybe)
Kidnapper (maybe)
Anub'arak could be, if they wanted
Dark Peddler (maybe)
Unearthed Raptor
Tomb Pillager (maybe)
Ancient Shade
Fossilized Devilsaur
Boneguard Lieutenant
Evil Heckler (maybe)
Chillmaw (already a dragon, but also undead)
Bloodmage Thalnos
Crazed Alchemist
Mana Wraith
Wild Pyromancer (maybe)
Unstable Ghoul
Cult Master (maybe)
Abomination

Slashlen

I guess this means I should focus on Classic cards more, as they're long-term as far as standard's concerned. If anything, this lets me care less about filling out the expansions. I just need to save up for adventures and enough gold/dust to complete my netdecks.

Why couldn't they have announced this a week ago so I could have crafted Malygos for the brawl?

Frenden

Banned
I mean, you can still use things in Wild, witch still grants you rewards. Outside of professional tournaments, I don't see how old cards are now 'useless.'

However, it does really depend on how wild Wild gets. It is very possible for things to just explode out into insane overpowered decks that are actually unstoppable.

Yeah. I'm making some assumptions about Wild being a total dumpster fire. I probably will stick to Standard either way (hence my conclusion that the cards are useless--to me at least).

I'm happy for the change, but I probably would not have bought or crafted as much as I did had we known this was coming. That major change of direction leaves me a bit uneasy.

I'm glad to have a complete set of Classic (minus Tink who I dusted post nerf) now for what that's worth.

V-Faction

I said in the news thread, but will repeat here, I hope this means some small tweaks to the older sets of cards. Cause some classes will feel completely naked. I'm hotly anticipating the format though.

Frenden

Banned
I said in the news thread, but will repeat here, I hope this means some small tweaks to the older sets of cards. Cause some classes will feel completely naked. I'm hotly anticipating the format though.

Somewhere between two and twenty Basic and Classic cards are getting tweaked per Brode in an interview.

Dahbomb

Also you can't actually disenchant Majordormo because it's a BRM card not a Naxx card. Unless they are allowing disenchants on all Adventure cards.

Also you can't actually disenchant Majordormo because it's a BRM card not a Naxx card. Unless they are allowing disenchants on all Adventure cards.

They are. From the FAQ:

Can I still craft or disenchant cards that aren’t part of Standard format?
Yes, you can craft or disenchant all of these cards—including cards from Adventures which previously could not be disenchanted or crafted—for their normal Arcane Dust value. This excludes Basic cards, which can never be crafted or disenchanted.

Note that you can also craft and disenchant cards from Standard format Adventures, as long as you’ve already earned them by completing the necessary challenges.

Miletius

They should probably do best of from previous sets and add them to classic. That's what Magic did anyways, right? Probably don't include the overpowered cards but good, balanced cards from GvG and Curse of Naxx ought to be eligible to be pulled into the classic pool.

V-Faction

Damn, it'll be so weird seeing cards like MC and Tirion Fordring but no Dr. Boom in play.

This is some Back to the Future stuff. What if TGT came out right after classic? Does Biff get the almanac? Will Shaman actually not suck?

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Is anyone going full banana and DEing all non-Standard stuff day one?

I'm holding on to everything.

I'm not. I'd rather hold onto everything for tavern brawls and adventures. Keeping a solid stock of old cards will be useful for doing future adventures on Heroic.

I'm going to be changing how I handle gold cards from now on though. What I used to do is keep the golds and disenchant the non-golds. From now on I'll probably hold onto everything and then disenchant the extra gold cards once they move into the wild format. I guess I might disenchant all of my wild gold cards and if I want to recraft a wild card I'll just get the not-gold version? No loss of dust, just shininess.

Dahbomb

Is anyone going full banana and DEing all non-Standard stuff day one?

I'm holding on to everything.
I will save up some gold starting today and then spend it all on the expansion then I will just disenchant some cards to get the Legendaries I want from the new expansion.

Pooya

Other than obivous druid card that will be nerfed from the sounds of it, I can't think of many other auto include card that is nerf worthy in classic set.

I hope owl is one of them. Silence shouldn't be that cheap, there is little point in spellbreaker right now.

As far as auto include goes, the other one is Azure Drake, I don't see that changing though.

Tagyhag

So I was thinking, will the rotation be like a yearly thing?

I'm all for balancing and working on bettering the RNG of the game (And fucking up Paladins) but it's going to be lame getting the new packs, and then having those cards be worthless by next year.

Sure I could use them on Wild but let's be honest, Wild is going to be a complete shitshow. Especially since they're not going to pay any attention to it at all.

IceMarker

I... don't know how I feel about all of this. Yes, problematic cards get removed from the game, but cards that can get time to shine (or better yet BUFFED) will never get the opportunity because they will be relegated to Casual Mode 2.0. I feel like Blizzard could have done this a different and cleaner way.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Other than obivous druid card that will be nerfed from the sounds of it, I can't think of many other auto include card that is nerf worthy in classic set.

I hope owl is one of them. Silence shouldn't be that cheap, there is little point in spellbreaker right now.

As far as auto include goes, the other one is Azure Drake, I don't see that changing though.
They're going to need Master of Disguise because they endlessly complain about it from a design space perspective.

ZealousD

Fireball
Old Murk Eye
Divine Favor
Power Overwhelming
Knife Juggler
Big Game Hunter

Ridli

?

There are lots of good death rattles left especially now we got rid a lot of garbage death rattles.

I dunno man, the ones that priest can discover seem really anemic to me. I mean, cultist will be gone so there's no class deathrattles to discover (yet). The majority of the neutral deathrattles were from Nax and GvG. That leaves a lot of low stats like leper gnomes, huge toad, harvest golem.

It's possible I'm undervaluing those cards. Personally, when I'm fishing with curator I'm looking for high value like the shredder/golem, or beefy taunts like belcher/deathlord. Perhaps my expectations are just different and I'm leaning too hard on the naxx/GvG stuff.

ZealousD

You know, I just realized something.

Next year, Ice Rager and Evil Heckler are going to get pushed out of rotation and Magma Rager and Booty Bay Bodyguard will stick around.

Apathy

I ope owl stays at 2, it's the only way to silence something cheaply for most classes. If you want to complain about a silence, how about silence at 0 mana.

Mulgrok

Glad that the only 1 of the legendaries I crafted will be retired. Although i am sad that a bunch of the epics and legendaries I recently obtained from packs will be trashed. At least I never paid any money for hearthstone stuff.

EDIT: they removed the only counter to iceblock, but it isn't so bad because without mad scientist freeze mage will die to aggression way more often.

Ridli

Wait, I'm confused. Are you making a joke or has there been discussion about Master of Disguise? First I ever heard of it.

There have been a couple comments from devs of how Master of Disguise has limited card selection. The most recent was about how animated armor was going to be a neutral, but there was concern about rogue being able to stealth it and have hijinks.

Dahbomb

You know, I just realized something.

Next year, Ice Rager and Evil Heckler are going to get pushed out of rotation and Magma Rager and Booty Bay Bodyguard will stick around.
1408.gif

I'd like to see MoD replaced with something useful.

I would not be surprised to see lots of really bad basic cards brought up to a certain power level, and certain classics brought down (or raised) to a certain level.

So are they still going to nerf cards like Dr Boom? I'm hearing complaints from people that think this is a way for Blizzard to nerf the card without actually letting people dust him for full value.

I'm so torn. I have an almost complete collection from all sets. I love what this does to the meta, but I feel like an idiot buying and crafting all these now-useless cards.

Overall, yay.

I have an all-gold collection except for a few Legendaries from TGT, Demonbane, and the less played cards from LoE. How do you think I feel? xD

I don't actually feel too bad. Standard has me pretty pumped.

Holy crap they did it. No more Naxx/gvg, rebalancing of classic/basic. I can't wait for spring!

Oh man, ArcticDonkey I hope you didn't just spend cash in Naxx D:
Hahaha glad to you thought of me! This was certainly very relevent news for me.

I was actually just home from work and literally about to authorize payment. So happy I decided to check Gaf first and saw how many new pages were in this thread. This makes buying LoE the obvious choice now I think. Also just 50 gold shy of opening up Blackrock.

As a new player I definitely like this direction. I now don't feel pressured to craft Dr. Boom and can focus on some decent rare/commons to make something resembling an effective deck.

There have been a couple comments from devs of how Master of Disguise has limited card selection. The most recent was about how animated armor was going to be a neutral, but there was concern about rogue being able to stealth it and have hijinks.
huh Interesting. Wonder why I've never seen talk about it before. Thanks for letting me know.

Grover

Banned
wtf is this anyfin dogshit?

if you dont beat them by turn 10 they have guaranteed win, wtf?

dumbest thing ive ever seen in my life, you atleast had to have skill to play patron warrior properly

wtf is this anyfin dogshit?

if you dont beat them by turn 10 they have guaranteed win, wtf?

dumbest thing ive ever seen in my life, you atleast had to have skill to play patron warrior properly

You need to actually draw all your murlocs and play them by then, though.

But Divine Favor exists so not hard. Y'know what, fuck Mad Scientist. Remove Divine Favor from the game entirely.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Divine favor was fine back when aggro paladin was the only paladin you could play.

That was a fun deck.

gutshot

I'd like to see MoD replaced with something useful.

I would not be surprised to see lots of really bad basic cards brought up to a certain power level, and certain classics brought down (or raised) to a certain level.

I believe Brode confirmed they won't be buffing any Basic or Classic cards. Only nerfing or changing ones they feel are too overpowered or restrictive.

Dahbomb

ROFL Kripp played 3 games of Constructed then got the hell out of there...

Then is going on a salty tirade about about the current state of Constructed.

Top Bottom