• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT5| Corrupted Deeprock Salt

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
No it wont. It will change form time to time depending on the brawl.

Well, the premade brawls and special rules would change it, but the blog post specifically points out that Standard is only available as a format in Friendly Challenges, Ranked, and Casual play so I'd imagine there's still merit to a full collection for it.

There's no better feeling than when someone spams "greetings traveler" because they think they have you beat only to find out they did their math wrong.

FeD.nL

Brawls will always take from the full pool as well, so I'm not going to dust anything. Though it helps that I'm already sitting on 7K dust.

Yeah that too.

Still I think 2-3 years from now 'Wild' is going to be the exciting format. I mean right now standard is going to be a breath of fresh air. But standard is also being put into place to lower the bar of entry for new players. For players that are going to quit HS for some time in the near future standard is going to be the more expensive format to return to.

I also think that in the vision of Standard being there to be more welcoming towards new players means that Blizzard won't printing cards that allow for "complicated" combo's (Patron, miracolli). But cards they print might get us very interesting combo's in the wild format where I think Blizzard won't be nerfing any combo into the ground.

Like a player that's going to quit HS this year and comes back 2 years later is going to have to spend less money to get his Wild Handlock back to a competitive level than to get a competitive standard deck. So I really wouldn't be dusting my cards just yet if you have a nice library at the moment.

Well, the premade brawls and special rules would change it, but the blog post specifically points out that Standard is only available as a format in Friendly Challenges, Ranked, and Casual play so I'd imagine there's still merit to a full collection for it.

They specifically state:

Will Tavern Brawls use formats?
Tavern Brawls have different rules each week, so some Brawls will be in Wild format, while others could be in Standard format, but they’ll all be crazy fun!

But to be fair it also says "they'll all be crazy fun!" and judging by some of the brawls so far that is complete bullshit. So who knows what to believe at this point.

It just seems so pointless to dust cards. With the pool of cards reduced, there are going to be one or two competitive decks and the rest will be people playing wild. You don't need much dust to make two decks, especially if you have something to dust in the first place.

So I say keep everything in case there is a brain dead brawl where you can win games quickly with some broken wild combination.

It just seems so pointless to dust cards. With the pool of cards reduced, there are going to be one or two competitive decks and the rest will be people playing wild. You don't need much dust to make two decks, especially if you have something to dust in the first place.
Eh, for people like me who got the adventures but aside from that don't have a big collection it's pretty nice to be able to dust a few useless epics/legendaries to craft some important cards I'm missing.

Tempostorm thinks it'll release with the chinese new year next week.

Clue #1: Azeroth Zodiac New Year

This year's Standard mode will be named after the Azeroth zodiac for 2016: The Kracken. This is the most heavy handed hint that the release will coincide with the Chinese New Year, which is Monday, February 8th. It is too blatant to be ignored.

Of course this flies in the face of them saying it'll release in spring and I think Tempostorm is a little nuts on this one.

Of course this flies in the face of them saying it'll release in spring and I think Tempostorm is a little nuts on this one.

Lol. It'll be in march at the earliest. Besides them specifically saying spring, I can't see there only being 2 months between the full release of Loe and the next expansion. 3 months is the least time between expansions we have otherwise seen.

FeD.nL

Absolutely. I mean standard might be cheaper for new players at first but if you keep playing you are better off playing wild. The average cost a Standard deck and a Wild deck isn't going to differ that much. But where you lose half of your Standard deck every rotation you basically keep your Wild deck with maybe 1 or 2 cards added to the deck.

I don't think there's a chance it'll be that soon, they even said that extra deck slots will probably be added before the rest so when will that be? Tomorrow? Nah

bord

Neo Member
First day of Spring is March 20th, so it'll probably be in April. That's my guess anyway.

Would they really keep us waiting for 2 months?
I'd find that odd considering the last Ben Brode video was actually about how they didn't like announcing things too far in advance.

Celegus

Don't matter how "bad" it is, I'll never dust something I only have 1 or 2 of. That just seems crazy. Especially since I'm so stingy with crafting, I'm already sitting on 4k dust and missing a lot of cards people would consider must haves.

Fireblend

Banned
Yeah I'm not a fan of dusting. I'm pretty sure I could craft a super-useful dude like Sylvannas or Ragnaros if I dusted all my "weak" goldens, but I can't bring myself to do it, despite sitting at like 320 gold at the moment lol

FeD.nL

Think this will be an opportunity for new classes? now that the card pool for standard will be smaller it requires less catch up.

Except the card pool won't be that much smaller compared to what we have now. When the rotation happens we basically have -1 adventure, that's it. So the amount of catchup a new player will have to do in the new standard is about the same as a new player has to do now.

Apathy

Yeah I'm not a fan of dusting. I'm pretty sure I could craft a super-useful dude like Sylvannas or Ragnaros if I dusted all my "weak" goldens, but I can't bring myself to do it, despite sitting at like 320 gold at the moment lol

Even if some cards could theoretically be useful in wild or brawls at some point and shouldn't be dusted, there are some cards that are truely useless and can't possibly be useful.

Sande

There's no better feeling than when someone spams "greetings traveler" because they think they have you beat only to find out they did their math wrong.
I always take it as a bluff. They're pretending they have lethal and going through the motions hoping you'll concede.

Of course it's possible that sometimes it's an honest mistake, but when they take their time and keep spamming, bluffing feels like the logical reason.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Haven't played in 2 months because I got tired of all the paladins. Just played 4 games and all were against paladin =/

Dahbomb

Tempostorm is saying that the Standard format will probably get implemented next week with the expansion coming out a few weeks after that.

Dragner

Tempostorm is saying that the Standard format will probably get implemented next week with the expansion coming out a few weeks after that.

Well next week isnt spring afaik and they stated the rotation will begin always with first expansion of the year so idk why tempostorm states that outside a shitty chinese year assumption.

Also they would have hyped the hell out of it being that true with the date so close.

I always take it as a bluff. They're pretending they have lethal and going through the motions hoping you'll concede.

Of course it's possible that sometimes it's an honest mistake, but when they take their time and keep spamming, bluffing feels like the logical reason.

That's a good point. It still feels good to make them waste their time though.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Except the card pool won't be that much smaller compared to what we have now. When the rotation happens we basically have -1 adventure, that's it. So the amount of catchup a new player will have to do in the new standard is about the same as a new player has to do now.

It's Naxxramas and Goblins vs. Gnomes rotating out, not just one adventure.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

Their guess is based on the Zodiac calendar.

That said I wouldn't be surprised if they went with a longer lead time for this announcement so people knew to stop buying Naxx and GvG packs if they only wanted to play Standard.

And GVG... which might have the highest amount of high power cards in any expansion.

Owzers

Haven't played in 2 months because I got tired of all the paladins. Just played 4 games and all were against paladin =/

in my defense i have a paladin quest. Played one match and already thought i was seeing a ghost. Managed to beat my renolock opponent.

Would they really keep us waiting for 2 months?
I'd find that odd considering the last Ben Brode video was actually about how they didn't like announcing things too far in advance.

Hard to say. I'm just assuming they won't change it mid season and one month doesn't seem like it would be long enough. They always start teasing and releasing more info quite a ways before release, the exception being LoE.

But who knows, maybe we'll start getting more cool info by next week.

FeD.nL

It's Naxxramas and Goblins vs. Gnomes rotating out, not just one adventure.

And GVG... which might have the highest amount of high power cards in any expansion.

Yes but we're getting a new set for GvG. And who knows how many adventures/sets in the rest of the year. So as I said the amount of catchup a new player will have to do is roughly the same as it is at this point in time.

Tarazet

I took all of the GvG and Naxx cards out of Druid and did my 5 win quest in 5 games. No question that it needs a major rework. It doesn't even need synergy, it's just plain amazing.

This is the deck I used. Didn't have to put much thought into it, just subbed Shredder > Yeti, Shade > Mounted Raptor and Boom > Big Fuckin' Tree.

Ya but they could introduce them in an expansion that also coincides with the aging out of a past expansion. There will always be catching up to do but perhaps the expansion would unlock a vast majority of their cards, expediting the process.

Yes but we're getting a new set for GvG. And who knows how many adventures/sets in the rest of the year. So as I said the amount of catchup a new player will have to do is roughly the same as it is at this point in time.

If things stayed the same, a new player would have to still get the new expansion. Do you think they'd have just stopped making new content?

gutshot

If things stayed the same, a new player would have to still get the new expansion. Do you think they'd have just stopped making new content?

What he's saying is a new player right now would have to acquire 3 adventures and 3 card sets. Once standard hits, a new player would have to acquire 2 adventures and 3 card sets.

The net difference of cards a new player will have to begin acquiring right as the format launches is -1 adventure set.

If they didn't change anything, a new player would have to acquire 3 adventures and 4 cards sets. And it would just get worse and worse from there. At least this format change means new players will "only" have to catch up to the tune of about 2-3 adventures and 2-3 card sets.

What he's saying is a new player right now would have to acquire 3 adventures and 3 card sets. Once standard hits, a new player would have to acquire 2 adventures and 3 card sets.

The net difference of cards a new player will have to begin acquiring right as the format launches is -1 adventure set.

If they didn't change anything, a new player would have to acquire 3 adventures and 4 cards sets. And it would just get worse and worse from there. At least this format change means new players will "only" have to catch up to the tune of about 2-3 adventures and 2-3 card sets each year.

You'd have to get the new set under both scenarios. Under the format change they don't have to get gvg and naxx.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
The basic idea is that there's a rough cap on the number of things you have to worry about going forward, and that filling out the Classic set will help you stay at least somewhat in tune with the game if you end up taking a break and coming back later.

This would be...strange to say the least.

I would think they would want to drop Standard and the new expansion together at the first of the month.

Zemm

There's no way it's releasing in the middle of a season and without at least some marketing hype behind it. Don't believe reynads lies.

I'm going to guess the beginning of the April season for new formats and the expansion.

Dahbomb

I took all of the GvG and Naxx cards out of Druid and did my 5 win quest in 5 games. No question that it needs a major rework. It doesn't even need synergy, it's just plain amazing.

This is the deck I used. Didn't have to put much thought into it, just subbed Shredder > Yeti, Shade > Mounted Raptor and Boom > Big Fuckin' Tree.
I would use Savage Combatant and Ragnaros for those replacements personally. But yeah I already stated this would be too good in the new format.

If Blizzard releases Standard before the new expansion and without the nerfs.. Standard would actually be more imbalanced than Wild. LMAO!

Tarazet

I would use Savage Combatant and Ragnaros for those replacements personally. But yeah I already stated this would be too good in the new format.

If Blizzard releases Standard before the new expansion and without the nerfs.. Standard would actually be more imbalanced than Wild. LMAO!

Well, I still have to use the deck in the current meta. Yeti trades better with Shredder and all the weenie decks make Ragnaros hard to justify. :)

Dahbomb

Well, I still have to use the deck in the current meta. Yeti trades better with Shredder and all the weenie decks make Ragnaros hard to justify. :)
That depends on when you play Savage Combatant. Played before a Shredder and it eats up the Shredder.

Sheroking

I'd listen.

Reynad has been teasing this for a couple months. We know now that some of these guys have been hip to this since early TGT.

I'm going to be roping secret paladins until this new change happens. Them loosing avenge is still not enough, there needs to be an actual way to get rid of secrets (and with Kezan Mystic being removed too it, the game desperately needs it).

Getting rid of minibot and muster/quartermaster helps a lot to deal with secret pally early game. Now if they make more neutral anti secret minions it would put them in line with everybody.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member

I would think Ancient of War would be a better replacement than Ironbark though. 5/10 Taunt is always pretty good. Although you could argue Rag is better than both. Rag is certainly much better against silences, and if you're running into lots of weenie decks, they are probably gonna have an owl or two.

Top Bottom