• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT5| Corrupted Deeprock Salt

Grover

Banned
I would think Ancient of War would be a better replacement than Ironbark though. 5/10 Taunt is always pretty good. Although you could argue Rag is better than both. Rag is certainly much better against silences, and if you're running into lots of weenie decks, they are probably gonna have an owl or two.

plus, sometimes it matters that Rag is way better to pull out off a a deathlord,

although, brann is pretty popular these days, and Ancient of War gets an enormous buff from brann, and you can play both at 10 mana

EDIT: first brawl is against hunter, hm.. :/

seems like im just gonna have to get lucky today like yesterday

my opponent left, wahoo! done with this crap, call me when randomizer is back

EDIT: my brawl pack: Coldlight Oracle, Avenging Wrath, Holy Fire

Dahbomb

It's a Rogue Brawl today, everyone gets weapons.

Though this Brawl finally makes Savagery usable!

Rogue is best in this because of Poison blade, Sharp Oil, Blade Flurry, Bucaneed, Sabotage and the 3/2 mech. Then you can load up on Pirates plus Harrison and Spiteful Smith.

V-Faction

That's my thesis statement.
Tldr I care too much about WarCraft lore

Don't worry, I care a lot about it too.

To me, it's no surprise, because the lore/story/background of Warcraft is what drew me to Hearthstone in the first place. It actually got me back into WoW for Mists because of how much it played on those existing concepts. And I have no doubt that Garrosh, Thrall, and Gul'dan were chosen as heroes because of Warlords of Draenor co-existing at the same time.

What I appreciated about Hearthstone's approach to Warcraft-ness was how it set a new bar for the acceptable lore, characters, settings, etc. From the very beginning, we not only had Elves, Humans, Orcs, and Dwarves on cards, but also the likes of Draenei, Pandaren, Worgen, Ogres, and Blood Elves. No longer was Blizzard reaching back to the dry well of WarCraft III. They smartly chose to include all faces, places, and races. Even the original board themes -- Stormwind, Orgrimmar, STV, and Pandaria -- included the, at the time, fairly new Pandaren architecture.

All the different nostalgic locales and locals that, to me as a WoW player, tugged at those strings is the reason I keep coming back. The fact that Varian Wrynn is a Legendary while Anduin is the hero is probably the best example of what I'm talking about. The fact that Ironbeak Owl not simply "Owl" but Ironbeak Owl proves it, because that is a specific creature/mob in a specific place in the world of World of WarCraft. Stranglethorn Tiger; Cairne Bloodhoof and Baine Bloodhoof; Mekgineer Thermaplugg; Dark Cultist; Sylvannas Windrunner; Defender of Argus; Chillwind Yeti -- every single card let's you know that, hey, these aren't just cards for the sake of being cards, there's some history to them.

Now, they've expressed wanting to expand on the lore by coming up with their own original Hearthstone-bred concepts. It gives more freedom. We've seen this with League of Explorers, which is based on the WoW group in-game but clearly added original characters like Reno, Elise, and Sir Finley, while still having the classics like Brann Bronzebeard. So then... wouldn't it be cool if these original ideas then fed back into the core game? I think so. As we get further into Hearthstone's life, I have the sneaking suspicion they'll go further down their own path and simply use the WoW games as inspiration.

Apathy

Don't worry, I care a lot about it too.

To me, it's no surprise, because the lore/story/background of Warcraft is what drew me to Hearthstone in the first place. It actually got me back into WoW for Mists because of how much it played on those existing concepts. And I have no doubt that Garrosh, Thrall, and Gul'dan were chosen as heroes because of Warlords of Draenor co-existing at the same time.

What I appreciated about Hearthstone's approach to Warcraft-ness was how it set a new bar for the acceptable lore, characters, settings, etc. From the very beginning, we not only had Elves, Humans, Orcs, and Dwarves on cards, but also the likes of Draenei, Pandaren, Worgen, Ogres, and Blood Elves. No longer was Blizzard reaching back to the dry well of WarCraft III. They smartly chose to include all faces, places, and races. Even the original board themes -- Stormwind, Orgrimmar, STV, and Pandaria -- included the, at the time, fairly new Pandaren architecture.

All the different nostalgic locales and locals that, to me as a WoW player, tugged at those strings is the reason I keep coming back. The fact that Varian Wrynn is a Legendary while Anduin is the hero is probably the best example of what I'm talking about. The fact that Ironbeak Owl not simply "Owl" but Ironbeak Owl proves it, because that is a specific creature/mob in a specific place in the world of World of WarCraft. Stranglethorn Tiger; Cairne Bloodhoof and Baine Bloodhoof; Mekgineer Thermaplugg; Dark Cultist; Sylvannas Windrunner; Defender of Argus; Chillwind Yeti -- every single card let's you know that, hey, these aren't just cards for the sake of being cards, there's some history to them.

Now, they've expressed wanting to expand on the lore by coming up with their own original Hearthstone-bred concepts. It gives more freedom. We've seen this with League of Explorers, which is based on the WoW group in-game but clearly added original characters like Reno, Elise, and Sir Finley, while still having the classics like Brann Bronzebeard. So then... wouldn't it be cool if these original ideas then fed back into the core game? I think so. As we get further into Hearthstone's life, I have the sneaking suspicion they'll go further down their own path and simply use the WoW games as inspiration.

Oh I'm sure the new characters from LoE will make it into wow as NPCs, and I would be very happy. Reno is a nice comedic relief and totally fits in within wow. I think it's great if blizzard let's the hs team build their own lore and take the stuff that could fit into wow. The two can both coexist separately but also permeate each other when it fits.

Does it bother anybody else that the cards in the last adventure of each year will only be viable for just over a year in standard before they are removed? Cards like Reno and Elise just came out and they are about a year away from being done. I wish they removed each adventure when it was actually being replaced with an adventure of a similar time frame (with the 2 year difference)

FeD.nL

Does it bother anybody else that the cards in the last adventure of each year will only be viable in just over a year in standard before they are removed? Cards like Reno and Elise just came out and they are about a year away from being done. I wish they removed each adventure when it was actually being replaced with an adventure of a similar time frame (with the 2 year difference)

Yup me too. I'm not a fan of the yearly rotation as they want to implement it. I wish it was slightly more dynamic. I mean someone who starts playing 3 months before rotation probably does best not to invest in the older cards which in turn makes his decks less competitive.

Dahbomb

That latest Tempostorm tier list is probably the last one before the new format comes into play.

Tier 1: Midrange Druid, Secret Paladin, Zoolock, Tempo Mage

Yup that sounds about right. This is the game we USED to play.

All 4 decks use Shredder, all 4 use Dr Boom. Rest in pieces.

JesseZao

I assume the new expansion will have a neural healing card of some sort. That, or they'll buff the basic/classic healing cards. Losing antique heal bot is a huge blow to non-aggro decks.

I've gotta spend all of the gold on my alt account on gvg packs before the update hits. I'll probably just play arena from here on out instead of packs then for that account. New yat were getting deck slots, the next community push should be for the option to choose your arena packs.

I assume the new expansion will have a neural healing card of some sort. That, or they'll buff the basic/classic healing cards. Losing antique heal bot is a huge blow to non-aggro decks.

I've gotta spend all of the gold on my alt account on gvg packs before the update hits. I'll probably just play arena from here on out instead of packs then for that account. New yat were getting deck slots, the next community push should be for the option to choose your arena packs.

This seems like a bad idea unless you're missing a ton of GvG commons and rares. You're not likely to pull the epics and legendaries you need, and, if I'm not mistaken, card sets moved to Wild still only give you the standard dust amounts when disenchanted. Because of this, it's much more efficient to save your gold until the new set is released and then buy those card packs and craft what you want from old sets from the duplicates pulled from the new sets. A new pack that yields 4 new commons and 1 new rare is worth way more than an old pack that yields 40 dust.

Does it bother anybody else that the cards in the last adventure of each year will only be viable for just over a year in standard before they are removed? Cards like Reno and Elise just came out and they are about a year away from being done. I wish they removed each adventure when it was actually being replaced with an adventure of a similar time frame (with the 2 year difference)

Yeah, it bothers me too. LoE is a good expansion without being OP as fuck like Naxx turned out to be. But we'll only get to play with those cards for a little over a year whereas Naxx will have been out for about 2 whole years before it gets rotated out.

Apathy

Other then that, Burning Crusade, Mists of Pandaria and Warlords of Draenor have...almost nothing. For real. Out of ALL of the cards, the ones I can attribute to these three off the top of my head are...

Iron Juggernaut (MoP)
Lorewalker Cho (MoP)
Garrison Commander? (WoD)
Mogu'shan Warden (MoP)
Shado-pan Rider (MoP)
Youthful and Ancient Brewmasters (MoP)
Illidan Stormrage (BC, Legion I guess)
Gruul (BC, WoD)
Prophet Velen (BC, WoD)
Silvermoon Guardian, if I'm being generous (BC)
Arcane Golem (BC)
Mogor the Ogre (BC, WoD)
Grom Hellscream (WoD but I am really pushing it)

Grom should be off that list, only because the Grom in HS is green skinned, and the WoD Grommash didn't partake in it, so it's the Warcraft 2/3 Grom. Lol, sorry, that was extra nerdy.

You did miss a few from BC

King's Defender
Toshley
Fel Reaver
Doctor Boom (how could you forget Dr.7 already??!?!)
Gladiator's Longbow (you can make the argument that BC pvp season 1 had just "Gladiator's x" for naming, but the first bow available was in season 3 with the "Vengeful Gladiator's Longbow"
Gorehowl (Grom killed Mannoroth with it to liberate the orcs in War 3 but we could get it as a weapon in Kara)
Avenging Wrath
Dragon's Breath
Water Elemental
Ice Lance
Floating Watcher (ok nothing in wow named like this, but these floating eyeballs were created for BC so I can kinda count it)
Force of Nature
Tree of Life
Shadow Word: Death
Circle of Healing
Shadowstep
Fire Elemental (ok this one is a stretch but go with me, the Fire Elemental totem was given to shamans in BC and the card is a shaman exclusive. Yes shaman can commune with elementals before this so you can go either way)
Misdirection
Kill Command
Bloodlust
Mana Tide Totem
Arcane Blast
Mana wyrm
Wrathguard
Light's Justice
Mass Dispel

Those are just from the classes cards and a few of the neutral stuff I remembered (not going through the neutral cards to find more BC stuff). It's a bit.

Tarazet

Does Sir Finley work in the brawl? Also, I guess Ooze will just replace the weapon after destroying it?

Sir Finley works as he usually does. And yes to Ooze, I had that done to me and it immediately gave me a Doomhammer. I put together a Control Warrior deck for this one. I missed two turns from a disconnect and still beat a Shaman, stomped over a Pirate Rogue, etc. etc.. the matches aren't even close. Orgrimmar Aspirant is unbelievable here.

http://www.hearthpwn.com/decks/425824-control-warrior-brawl

Tagyhag

During my time playing Hearthstone, I have noticed three balance issues within the game:

If Blizzard wanted to go all-out, you could even have specializations and talent trees to offer greater hero customization. Then you wouldn’t just be playing a generic druid, but you could try to be a Boomkin, or a Fury Warrior. For example, maybe there could be a Hero Power option for dual-wielding, so Warriors can hold two weapons at once. This would be a lot of fun, but also bring the characters closer to their source material.

I like all the work you put into this, but I feel like this would be a balancing nightmare.

Apathy

I hope stealth gets a looking into at some point as well. Stupid seeing a priest buff the shit out of a shade and getting it out of range of any aoe kill before you either have the mana or draw the right card or have even an strong enough aoe. It should work exactly like wow, it can stay in stealth but any damage gets it out

gutshot

I hope stealth gets a looking into at some point as well. Stupid seeing a priest buff the shit out of a shade and getting it out of range of any aoe kill before you either have the mana or draw the right card or have even an strong enough aoe. It should work exactly like wow, it can stay in stealth but any damage gets it out

It does work like that? As soon as the minion deals damage, it loses stealth.

And stealth is not a problem at all. It is basically a delayed charge and because of that it is more interactive than charge as it lets you actually have a chance at reacting to what your opponent is trying to do.

And stealth is not a problem at all. It is basically a delayed charge and because of that it is more interactive than charge as it lets you actually have a chance at reacting to what your opponent is trying to do.
I think he means that damaging it should also make it lose stealth.

Apathy

if it takes damage, not if it does damage

I love worgen infiltrator and jungle Panther in aggro priest. Pws usually makes worgen a two hitter by turn 2 and Panther is a hell of a 6/6 on turn 4, 3 if have coin. Since most classes have trouble dealing with them heal can grab an extra turn with them too. And since I have pandas in now yeah basically a delayed charge, love it, brings a lot more consistency to make up for card draw

peakish

There's no better feeling than when someone spams "greetings traveler" because they think they have you beat only to find out they did their math wrong.
Lol, pretty much. Was at 2 health, the opponent played an Abomination which deals 2 damage as a deathrattle, and "Well Played" me. Polymorph ho, then I won by beating down their 26 hp from an empty board. I'm guessing they were a bit sour afterwards, heh.

Not really a math error, but misjudging the available plays, heh.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
reprintsvvphh.png

Shiver

so basically everything you get rekt by in the low ranks so should be removed from game? ok.

buff priest too stronk.

Zemm

Dragon Priest is putting in the work with the current meta. Pretty much destroying Paladins (even beat an Anyfin) and Druids unless I'm really unlucky, and aggro is a joke to beat. Struggles against heavy control warrior and reno lock. Other than that, it's fun to play and doing pretty well so far. Need to play more with it but so far I like it more than traditional Priest in this meta.

JPzA564.png

The Deck - I have no Ysera even after playing since release so subbed in Nefarian, he's done alright.

FeD.nL

I really don't understand how these streamers keep pushing the "standard format will make things better for new players"-narrative. No that's not what's happening, the new standard format will prevent things getting worse for new players. The bar of entry is going to be exactly the same as it is now.

Calling it now, they're just gonna re-release old cards with minor variations on them so they aren't "reprints". Evil Heckler anyone?

Piloted Shradder incoming.

There is no way they will not re-print old cards. There is only so many ideas they can put in the game, so once a card drops out they'll need a direct equivalent to replace it.

I really don't understand how these streamers keep pushing the "standard format will make things better for new players"-narrative. No that's not what's happening, the new standard format will not make things worse for new players. The bar of entry is going to be exactly the same as it is now.

It'll be much lower. New players will only need to craft a maximum of 30 cards to get every single card that actually gets used in standard.

Dahbomb

I really don't understand how these streamers keep pushing the "standard format will make things better for new players"-narrative. No that's not what's happening, the new standard format will not make things worse for new players. The bar of entry is going to be exactly the same as it is now.
It's about the same now but it will get harder and harder every year if they were to maintain the status quo. That's what people mean when they say it's better for new players.

Also while losing stuff like Healbot is bad for Control decks, you have to realize that Aggro decks are getting hit harder. I will gladly trade Healbot for no Shredder, Mech Warper, Dr Boom, Mad Scientist, Eggs, Creepers, Void Caller, Muster, Implosion, Unstable Portal etc.

Not really. It reduces the total number of adventures needed to be competitive down to 2 (BRM & LoE) and the total number of card sets stays at 3 (Classic, TGT, & new set). But new players don't need to focus on BRM, TGT, and LoE because they're not going to be around for much longer, so they really only need to buy the Classic set, the newest card set, and, later this year, the newest adventure when it comes out. Also, even older players will take a while to collect most of the new set, so a new player wouldn't be at as much of a disadvantage because nobody has the newest cards yet. There's also the fact that Naxx and GvG were considerably stronger sets than any of the other sets. Players who lack those sets while they are part of Standard are at a steep disadvantage. I don't think it will be as harsh for players who lack LoE and TGT in Year of the Kraken as it is for players who lack GvG and Naxx right now.

Top Bottom