• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT5| Corrupted Deeprock Salt

accel

You can have it only count games in which you play more than X turns, but even then nothing's stopping someone from just conceding after that.

Or it could require you to win at least one of those game to finish the quest.

Maybe just this: you get your daily reward for free without doing anything, but you might increase the amount by winning. Ie, you log in, see the daily "win on shaman", the current reward is 10g, you may take it right away, or you may increase it to 20-30-40g by playing and winning 1-2-3 times and take it then. Every game played and lost might add 4g or something, they can tune (or remove) that amount later based on how many games end up as forfeits for gold.

Ladekabel

After two weeks of learning, I got around to play Hearthstone again. Want to grab my free pack. What the fuck is this shit? You get a shit weapon and you're pretty much fucked. I got three Light's Justice in the same game. What my opponent got was several Death's Bite and Arcanite Reapers.

Haunted

i'm tired of being so out of the loop.

what the hell is a kappa?
f08531e820f82014826681fa9765c575.jpg

After two weeks of learning, I got around to play Hearthstone again. Want to grab my free pack. What the fuck is this shit? You get a shit weapon and you're pretty much fucked. I got three Light's Justice in the same game. What my opponent got was several Death's Bite and Arcanite Reapers.
RNG fuckery? In MY Tavern Brawl?

It's more likely than you think.

Zoggy

oh, thats disappointing.

anyways, stolen from reddit. so you're saving up gold to buy packs for the new expansion right?

but you want to scratch that itch of opening packs.

http://www.hearthcards.net/packs/ there you go.

also you can click on the shop and adjust the drop rates. crank the legendary up to 100 and listen to the innkeeper jizz himself over and over again

well apparently you've learned nothing

Pooya

I've been trying duelyst lately, everytime I launch it, it just makes me appreciate Hearthstone more. yeah Duelyst is a finely designed game actually with core mechanics much better than Hearthstone, it's just everything outside of the game that is huge mess. Literally no support on their forums, the client is just made by a bunch of amateurs, looks like javascript. It's horrible, I just tried it doesn't even get into the game now. Is it a maintenance? Is it another problem? zilch nothing you can get from the worthless launcher which doesn't even let you to change where it installs the game, it just install into system folders. Developer's response is that it's too hard to change it. LOL!!! Hearthstone is literally the only digital card game worth playing right now. Everyone else are just amateurs. Yeah, I know it's an open beta but in this state, this is probably going to remain in beta for like a whole another year , just kidding I'm sure they will launch in a couple of months...which is a shame because the game itself is good but maybe they should have hired actual experienced programmers knowing how to ship a product too.

Fireblend

Banned

Yeah, unless you already have some cards this one's tough. It's uncanny how TB can go from being the only mode I play during the week like the last one to shit like this where I'm in for the pack and out immediately. Too much RNG and dependence on having good cards. I was saving a hunter quest for this week's TB and it was hell to get those wins against all the Rogues and Warriors.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
It's actually much easier to manipulate the random elements on this Brawl than many others. There are many cards available to break the weapon your opponent is holding, and you can also use cards that boost or retain your own weapon. Even if you pull a Cursed Blade cards like Dread Corsair can hold a line until you drop it.

Ladekabel

What i haven't missed in my short absence is playing against Paladin. I have no problem with Midrange (like that deck to be honest) but Secret Paladin is still the worst. Followed by Anyfin.

Edit.: And what's everybody's problem with BGH?

Chmpocalypse

Blizzard
I feel you. That said, I don't have one complete deck. I have a bare minimum half-assed deck that lets me get by. I'm not even particularly passionate about it, and my "real" deck I want to play looks pretty damn different.

I know what you mean. I own all of the old dual lands just for flexibility. That said, I'm also married, and my wife would not be cool with me spending $150 on this game, haha. :)

I have 1 wing already, but I appreciate the advice. :)

So here's an interesting question - what is that ideal deck you'd like to run once you have the cards? Is it an original one, or are you aiming for a popular deck? If the former, I'm curious to see what your list would be. I always appreciate original decks!

So here's an interesting question - what is that ideal deck you'd like to run once you have the cards? Is it an original one, or are you aiming for a popular deck? If the former, I'm curious to see what your list would be. I always appreciate original decks!
Well, I originally got into the game because I was talking to Dahbomb about how I miss playing counterburn in MtG, and he said "That's basically freeze mage in Hearthstone". So I got into the game to play that.

Then, through inexperience, I burned my dust on some stuff I shouldn't have, like Abominations (I still want to find a use for these...). I made it to Rank 17 with a ghetto freeze mage deck, but I just couldn't keep control of the board against Face decks with charge characters. I felt like my weak deck was holding me back, and that control decks are intricate things that need all of their gears to be working for them to function well. As such, I decided to play something more dumbed-down, something that can function even with missing parts: an aggro deck.

However, I like to have long-term goals in the games I play, and I noticed the Dreadsteed card. In MtG, I had a strong love for creatures that are annoying and hard to kill, like Nether Spirit and Palinchron. They don't have to necessarily be strong, but I love playing "control" decks in a way that is more about "you can't control my method of control", if that makes any sense. In comparison to fighting games, I really don't enjoy playing straight-forward keepaway/zoners like Ryu, I prefer oddball styles like zoning with Bison.

So my goal was to make a Dreadsteed deck, but I haven't seen a good one yet. I've looked at two by Kripparian, and at least a dozen on various websites. None of them actually seem like great decks to me, although they often win because of the Dreadsteed + Kel/Baron combo. So, without a firm destination, my goal was to work toward all of Naxx + Dreadsteed to get the basics of the Dreadsteed combo, and then play with one of the three ideas I've had:
1) Dreadsteed + Minion AoE (Abomination, Unstable Ghoul, Hellfire, etc.; more slow and board control in style, and focuses on the capacity for Dreadsteed to survive anything and ping away).
2) Dreadsteed + Demonlock (Sacrifice synergy, Void, Mal'Ganis buff, etc.; faster and more aggro in style, and focuses on the ways Dreadsteed can buff or be buffed by other Warlock cards).
3) Dreadsteed + Deathrattle Deck (Nerubian Egg, Haunted Spider, etc.; kind of zoo-like, and this would use the 3/5 Naxx Abom taunt for Taunt + Deathrattle + Resurrect combo, and focuses mostly on the resurrection property Baron/Kel have).

The only one I made an actual deck list for is the Demonlock one, which I don't have access to since I'm at work right now.

Then Blizzard announced that Naxx is dead, so I'm feeling a bit aimless in where I want to go in the game now. I'm kind of 50/50 split on whether to stick with Naxx and make the deck I wanted to make, or to start planning for Standard + the next expansion. I wish Blizzard would give me a timeline, because that would really influence my decision. That is, if we have until April or May for Naxx to be obsolete, then I might make the Dreadsteed deck because I could enjoy it for a few months. If the set is coming out next month, then I should just stick to my basic aggro deck and wait it out.

Thanks for asking that question. It helped me organize my thoughts a lot. I still don't know where I want to go in the future. I would say that having my own style of play is very important to me. I really hope that Blizzard keeps something around for Dreadsteed, or that the card is re-evaluated to be a 3 cost card (I believe it was originally 5 for a 1/1?) with its combo mechanics gone.

Dahbomb

It was originally 3 mana 1/1 and it was a neutral. And it was supposed to come out with Naxx. But they saw the combo with Warsong Commander and had to make it a Warlock only minion. Then they nerfed Warsong Commander because they realized they could never print a card like Dreadsteed because it would break the game.

Imagine old Warsong with Dreadsteed and Knife Jugglers. They would clear your board and then do a ton of face damage through jugglss. And it would take up the entire turn of animations.

Ladekabel

In anticipation of Standard I swapped Dr. Boom, Shredder and Loathed for Ragnaros, Chillwind Yeti and Taz'dingo in my Druid deck. Faced a Rogue. He was so surprised to see the latter two together on board and conceded.

Grover

Banned
I wonder if the next Expansion will have some Neutral Demons, to make Holy Knight useful.

and make sacrificial pact a way better card for warlock to run, ive been running into ALOT of warlocks on casual lately, im thinking about running it just because of that

it feels like holy knight was created to silence voidcaller and then trade with it directly, and now voidcallers wont even been in the standard format, the other big silence target malganis wont be either, so i dunno lol

card seems like pure shit atm

Taz'dingo

im ashamed at how long it took me to realize what this was lol

Lifecoach's Miracle Rogue is the strangest deck I've ever seen. Just looking at the list, it shouldn't work as well as it does. There are barely enough spells to trigger Gadgetzan, not to mention justify using two, and you have no way of closing out the game besides Eviscerates. :l

But it works.

ViviOggi

Lifecoach's Miracle Rogue is the strangest deck I've ever seen. Just looking at the list, it shouldn't work as well as it does. There are barely enough spells to trigger Gadgetzan, not to mention justify using two, and you have no way of closing out the game besides Eviscerates. :l

But it works.
Been playing it for a week and it really works surprisingly well.

greepoman

I didn't really see an issue until I saw kibblers video and I have to agree with his reasoning that it just is too limiting to deck building and future design. It automatically makes anything with 7+ attack worse and you basically immediately lose the game if you spend 8-10 mana on a minion that has no immediate effect because it's such a huge tempo loss cause not only is it removal but its a body for 3 mana. Not that I want to see 4+ giant handlock return but I do think it would make more interesting decks possible.

Most of these problem cards wouldn't be a problem if they were just "upgraded" to leggys so people couldn't run two and get consistent success with them

Leggy spells def should be a thing

Most of these problem cards wouldn't be a problem if they were just "upgraded" to leggys so people couldn't run two and get consistent success with them

Leggy spells def should be a thing

I've thought about Legendary spells and weapons before.

"Legendary" to begin with is the tier given to the absolute strongest items in WoW, obtainable through a massive questline or low drop chance from a final raid boss that are far, far beyond the power of the strongest Epics below it in that tier. So far the only Legendary weapon is Ashbringer, which you can only get from Tirion on his Deathrattle. Gorehowl is in the game too, which is another weapon that could be considered Legendary, even though it drops from the final boss of Karazhan in epic quality for some reason that was never explained and people only run one Gorehowl anyway.

Actual canon Legendary weapons -

Sulfuras, Hand of Ragnaros
Dragonwrath, Tarecgosa's Rest
Shadowmourne
Thori'dal, the Stars' Fury
Val'anyr, Hammer of Ancient Kings
The Twin Blades of Azzinoth (Two weapons)
Atiesh, Greatstaff of the Guardian (different versions exist for each spellcasting class)
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]
Fangs of the Father (Rogue only)
Multiple from the Kael'thas encounter in Tempest Keep that disappear when you leave the raid

No idea how these would be implemented.

As for spells...Bloodlust, Heroism and Time Warp are by far the strongest spells in WoW that increase the entire raids haste up 30% for 40 seconds. Haste allows you to do actions faster. A spell that takes 1 second to cast would go down significantly in Heroism/Bloodlust. This obviously allows for massive burst damage. But Bloodlust is already in game, and they all do the same thing in WoW, just different class versions.

Dahbomb

What i haven't missed in my short absence is playing against Paladin. I have no problem with Midrange (like that deck to be honest) but Secret Paladin is still the worst. Followed by Anyfin.

The mana cost to outright kill a minion is around 5 (Assassinate). Stuff that kills with additional effects like Siphon Soul and Entomb cos 6. Transform effects like Poly are one less because it still leaves a 1/1 on board.

BGH has 6 stats for 3 mana. It's below average by one point.

However, when the condition is met and BGH kills a target... it's like you made a 7 mana play for 3. BGH being cheap allows you to kill a target, develop a 4/2 body and also play a substantial minion/card alongside. The reversal is insane especially against high cost cards.

BGH makes it so slower 7 attack plus minions will never see play. They need to have game breaking value or develop an immediate board presence/effect for them to be worth it. Having a minion like this get killed by BGH can be game winning due to the tempo swing.

The card limits future card design and it's why we end up with stuff like Dr Boom. If BGH exists then Blizzard will never print a Gruul type card again.

Tarazet

In anticipation of Standard I swapped Dr. Boom, Shredder and Loathed for Ragnaros, Chillwind Yeti and Taz'dingo in my Druid deck. Faced a Rogue. He was so surprised to see the latter two together on board and conceded.

I did something similar, also tried Savage Combatant and Mounted Raptor and I was happy with how that worked. Combatant is scary as hell, especially if it's turn 6 and your opponent just played Justicar. Sadly, it's really irrelevant, since Druid is going to get monkey stomped when the basic/classic set rebalancing happens. Try also taking out Keeper of the Nuke and Ancient of Cards, play a few games, and you'll understand why.

Chmpocalypse

Blizzard
I didn't really see an issue until I saw kibblers video and I have to agree with his reasoning that it just is too limiting to deck building and future design. It automatically makes anything with 7+ attack worse and you basically immediately lose the game if you spend 8-10 mana on a minion that has no immediate effect because it's such a huge tempo loss cause not only is it removal but its a body for 3 mana. Not that I want to see 4+ giant handlock return but I do think it would make more interesting decks possible.

I disagree, for three reasons:

-there are far more potential targets for bgh than even running x2 bgh, 2x scarab, double both brewmasters and any silly combo to get more bgh could hope to answer

-Thaurissan exists to reduce tempo loss from giants

-unchallenged handlock blood giants

Please do not remove bgh, Blizzard.

inky

Shame on you people who want to nerf Ancient of Lore. Might as well nerf every class card that has a bit of over value like Northshire Cleric or Water Elemental or Fire Elemental (speaking of cards that are "too good") or Highmane or Doomguard (hey, it works even without discarding cards!) And kill class identity in the process.

Dropping a 5/5 for 7 regardless of card draw is not as magnificent a tempo play as some of you want to imagine. I know Innervate comes into play, but surely it isn't a strategy that can be relied upon all the time. It sure is no Divine Favor, I can guarantee you that. You also might not realize it but Druids early game isn't entirely flawless either (Raven Idol and Aspirant help now, but once you get rid of Savage Roar -which I agree does need a nerf- then you are left with a pretty standard early game because tokens are less of a threat and your opponent can leave them be for a while in favor of other stuff). You need that sort of card to have a chance in the midgame, because other classes will murder you very early on and coming into late game your removal sucks.

Apathy

again, fuck secrets, and not just paladin ones, all of them. All i want is a spell or a minion that isn't going to be taken away that just removes secrets, and I would instantly run it in every deck, even if it was useless against everything else. Hell it could be a 4 or 5 mana 0/0 and I wouldn't care. By far the worst thing in this game.

again, fuck secrets, and not just paladin ones, all of them. All i want is a spell or a minion that isn't going to be taken away that just removes secrets, and I would instantly run it in every deck, even if it was useless against everything else. Hell it could be a 4 or 5 mana 0/0 and I wouldn't care. By far the worst thing in this game.

Flare%28630%29.png

Dahbomb

-there are far more potential targets for bgh than even running x2 bgh, 2x scarab, double both brewmasters and any silly combo to get more bgh could hope to answer

1) No deck actually includes that many 7 plus attack minions in them. Highest is Handlock which has 5 at most. Most people aren't even running Mountain Giant anymore because the card sucks in an aggressive meta. If you have two BGH you kill half of their giants and the rest every class has two removals to deal with the other big threats. Besides you can always use your own minions to kill their threats too, you are not play a completely spell based deck.

2) Thaurissan only reduces mana by 1 point and that applies to everything. So a BGH that is 2 mana is far more powerful than a 3 mana BGH. Further more Thaurissan doesn't have a huge impact on Molten Giants. In additoon, Thaurissan will get rotated out, BGH will not.

3) Who is to say Molten Giants wouldn't be nerfed either. It's a very real possibility that Moltens and Alex get nerfed alongside BGH.

Dre

Blizzard should just swap Hemet's and BGH's ability. "I've got the beast in my sights" would be more fitting.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
can we please nerf priests? They always outlast me in stamina, and all of them play asshole decks :(

but that one time you beat a priest, so good.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>

I disagree, and in fact have long argued that stronger secrets would be an important component to combating aggro decks in the long run. However, yes, that does require more interactive mechanics with secrets including destroying them.

Dahbomb

My loss rate against priests is in like the high 90%, regardless of the class I use. I usually like to play control decks, and priests are more controlling :mad:
just so many damn answers
Play Handlock with Jaraxxus and you will never lose against those Priests.

Play Handlock with Jaraxxus and you will never lose against those Priests.
By the way, I got the "watch a friend" daily quest today (yay). Will you be around for me to observe for a match tonight?

Thoughts on my deck post?

Apathy

I disagree, and in fact have long argued that stronger secrets would be an important component to combating aggro decks in the long run. However, yes, that does require more interactive mechanics with secrets including destroying them.

I never said remove them, they have a place in game because yes, it does bring up a strategy that others have to play around, but they need to either give every class secrets so everyone is on an even playing field or give a neutral card (like kezan mystic), that can help with removing secrets.

A secret shouldn't have zero risk involved (or slight risk if two mages are playign each other and one already has counterspell). If we had the cards to counter secrets, whether people chose to use them or not, at least they would be some balance and some risk to using a secret (oh does my opponent have that card? oh should I play all my secrets or just one?) Now you bring in some actual though and skill required on the part of the person using the secret not just on the opponent that has to play around them.

With the kezan mystic leaving soon, unless they add something new, we will be back to hunters being the only ones able to punish a secret.

Top Bottom