• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT5| Corrupted Deeprock Salt

Dahbomb

There are definitely ways Priest can win. In my Priest deck I have double Chow, Auechani and Flash Heal a with Justicar. After I have used Justicar I save up my heals and Chow then when the Warlock player plays Jaraxxus I just burst them with Auchenai and heals.

But it's still a Handlock favored match up.

Dahbomb

I tried handlock out once, way too slow for me D:
Tap 3 HP for 2-3 turns at the start.

Meanwhile your aggro opponent:

bueno.jpg

Both.

Edit: Priest plays his Elise like 8 turns after me. Finds his map and his monkey before I even get my map. Maybe I'm just done for the day.

I had a game the other night where my opponent drew the map and monkey on the two turns immediately following Elise. And this was like mid-game where he still had plenty of other cards in his hand. It was unreal.

Tarazet

Both.

Edit: Priest plays his Elise like 8 turns after me. Finds his map and his monkey before I even get my map. Maybe I'm just done for the day.

First time I played Elise, I tapped, got the map, played it, and it drew Golden Monkey. That got a "Well played" out of my opponent.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
If no nerfs are handed out then Anyfin Paladin will be a tier 1 deck in Standard. Deck is just creeping in the shadows.

Depends on how prevalent midrange will be with the new expansion. Anyfin Paladin does have its weaknesses.

Dahbomb

Depends on how prevalent midrange will be with the new expansion. Anyfin Paladin does have its weaknesses.
Anyfin is weak against heavy aggro and anything with burst damage. They have to run double Doomsayers just to counter this weakness. They also carry Aldors and Keeper of Uldamans with double Equality and Pyromancers.

Most of the sticky minions are being removed which means their Equality clears will be more effective. The rest gets handled by Uldaman/Aldor. Furthermore, general aggression will be far lower in Standard starting out unless Blizzard messes up big time with the expansion.

The deck already crushes control decks. Once it becomes difficult to close out games fast against it, then it will be really hard to counter it. But like all draw heavy decks, there is always the Mill counter.

bord

Neo Member
Shame on you people who want to nerf Ancient of Lore. Might as well nerf every class card that has a bit of over value like Northshire Cleric or Water Elemental or Fire Elemental (speaking of cards that are "too good") or Highmane or Doomguard (hey, it works even without discarding cards!) And kill class identity in the process.

Dropping a 5/5 for 7 regardless of card draw is not as magnificent a tempo play as some of you want to imagine. I know Innervate comes into play, but surely it isn't a strategy that can be relied upon all the time. It sure is no Divine Favor, I can guarantee you that. You also might not realize it but Druids early game isn't entirely flawless either (Raven Idol and Aspirant help now, but once you get rid of Savage Roar -which I agree does need a nerf- then you are left with a pretty standard early game because tokens are less of a threat and your opponent can leave them be for a while in favor of other stuff). You need that sort of card to have a chance in the midgame, because other classes will murder you very early on and coming into late game your removal sucks.

Nerf any card that's too good? I didn't say that. I'm not sure anyone did actually.
And kill class identity in the process? I'm not sure what to say. I spent my a good part of my post explaining why I felt that Ancient of Lore conflicted with Druid's class identity. If you disagree with any of what I wrote, it would've been nice if you actually addressed a couple of the points I raised.

But to reiterate as simply as I can: Druid's mana acceleration cards exchange card advantage for tempo. Yet when you play Druid, how often is card advantage an actual concern?

Wild Growth and Innervate were designed on the basis of exchanging cards for mana. Darnassus Aspirant being a small minion actually follows this as well -- you get mana if it sticks around but, if it doesn't, you don't get any mana and you take a hit value-wise.

As I said before, I think Ancient of Lore conflicts with what Druid should be.

On to your other point, I agree with you. If Savage Roar gets nerfed alongside Ancient of Lore, then Druid won't have any clear way to win games. I know a lot of people here would rather see Savage Roar get changed and not FoN, but I think changing FoN is the way to go, even though Savage Roar obviously the more powerful card.

FoN+SR rewards you for getting you opponent to 14 health or lower.
Savage Roar alone is a card that rewards you for having initiative on board.

Dealing large amounts of damage in a single turn isn't necessarily a problem. Dealing large amounts of damage in a single turn with nothing on the board is a problem.

inky

Nerf any card that's too good? I didn't say that. I'm not sure anyone did actually.

Didn't say anyone did, but there is an implication with Druid that just because a card is good it deserves to be in the conversation (Keeper has been mentioned too due to its cheap-ish silence effect). There are cards that need a nerf and there are cards that are just good because they are class cards so they need to be, like the ones I mentioned above. Doomguard is actually a pretty good equivalent. In some scenarios (best case) you got rid of your hand early and its implicit drawback becomes nonexistent. When Zoo was more common and dominant you bet people were calling for a Doomguard nerf on the basis that getting rid of your hand on curve wasn't hard at all.

And kill class identity in the process? I'm not sure what to say. I spent my a good part of my post explaining why I felt that Ancient of Lore conflicted with Druid's class identity. If you disagree with any of what I wrote, it would've been nice if you actually addressed a couple of the points I raised.

But to reiterate as simply as I can: Druid's mana acceleration cards exchange card advantage for tempo. Yet when you play Druid, how often is card advantage an actual concern?

Wild Growth and Innervate were designed on the basis of exchanging cards for mana. Darnassus Aspirant being a small minion actually follows this as well -- you get mana if it sticks around but, if it doesn't, you don't get any mana and you take a hit value-wise.

As I said before, I think Ancient of Lore conflicts with what Druid should be.

I didn't single out your post because you were not the only one to mention it. Several people have on top of Kripp's video. Well, I obviously disagree with what you think Druid should be. Ramp is one aspect of Druid, but saying that one thing and thing only defines a class is too close minded for me. Offensive and Defensive Balance (hero power) and minion versatility before powerful stat distribution (choose one, for example) is as much part of the Druid's identity as ramp is. Wild Growth has already been phased out by a fast meta simply because you can't afford to skip a turn for one empty mana. Cards like Shielded Minibot punish you very hard for it. Turn 7 might as well be irrelevant at that point. Card acceleration is needed because Druid's early game has been very lacking but it can all change.

How often is card advantage a concern? I'm not sure you can even single out AoL for that. How many times you actually get to play it way ahead of curve and take advantage of it with mana acceleration? Best case scenario (Double Innervate + Coin) might still net you an even hand, but if you have played it before you know it feels no less than an all in: sacrificing strategy for a scary minion and top decks. Even if card advantage is not a concern right now because of combo and sticky minions and several other things, there's still a trade-off of board and tempo for value because it is a midgame body with a lategame cost that is not that hard to deal with all things considered. Board I would say, is just as important, and extra mana is not always enough to play from behind on board, because as I pointed out, Druid has another weak spot coming from mid into lategame: efficient removal.

Probably feels more punishing than it really is because of what we've both already agreed does need a nerf: combo.

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
What is this shit?
I've seen more Gold Portraits in ranks 18-20 than all the other ranks combined. What the absolute fuck? And getting out of these ranks is such a shit show! It's so difficult. No wonder new players can't do anything, there's farmers all in these lower ranks. What is even the point of a Gold Portrait if you have nothing to back it up? Tens of hours of wasted time for a pat on the back?

I'm about to switch to a freaking Aggro deck just to get this over with.

Apathy

What is this shit?
I've seen more Gold Portraits in ranks 18-20 than all the other ranks combined. What the absolute fuck? And getting out of these ranks is such a shit show! It's so difficult. No wonder new players can't do anything, there's farmers all in these lower ranks. What is even the point of a Gold Portrait if you have nothing to back it up? Tens of hours of wasted time for a pat on the back?

Yup, just farming for gold off new players. As i've said, Blizzard needs to put in one way gates all along the ladder. These guys that want go and farm and drop rank over and over are (and do and will continue to) frustrate new players into either A) buying more packs to compete, or B) leaving the game in frustration if they keep getting killed by turn 5-7 by vastly vastly superior cards. Now what is the split, who knows, but it's ridiculous to think Blizzard is allowing this and, without any new news of a change in that blog post, will continue to allow it.

What is this shit?

Yeah it's awful, you have to get lucky enough to avoid them until you reach rank 15-16, then it's okay. I think it's baffling that Blizzard hasn't even tried to do anything about it, new players already have a rough enough time trying to get into the game.

Raxus

If no nerfs are handed out then Anyfin Paladin will be a tier 1 deck in Standard. Deck is just creeping in the shadows.
Well with Druid untouched any fin will be beat down since it lost a lot of survivability with the loss of sludge and antique healbot. Paladin decks were slammed all around.

Acerac

Banned
If Standard doesn't include bonus cards Anyfin is crippled.

I do not see it being nearly as strong minus Murk-Eye.

Dahbomb

If Standard doesn't include bonus cards Anyfin is crippled.

I do not see it being nearly as strong minus Murk-Eye.
All the Murlocs are in Classic.

2x Bluegill
2x Warleaders
1x Old Murkey eye
2x Anyfin (LoE)
2x Doomsayers
2x Aldors
2x Tuskarr Jouster or any other solid heal, maybe Kings
2x Lay of Hands
2x Solemn Vigils
2x Acolyte
2x Equailty
2x Wild Pyromancer
2x Truesilver
2x Consecrate
2x Aldor
2x Keeper of Uldaman

There done. All of these cards are valid in Standard.

I am not sure why Classic wouldn't include Bonus cards, that would make no sense.

Acerac

Banned
Well they're not technically part of the set.

I don't think ETC will be a permanent part of standard, for example.

bord

Neo Member
Didn't say anyone did, but there is an implication with Druid that just because a card is good it deserves to be in the conversation (Keeper has been mentioned too due to its cheap-ish silence effect). There are cards that need a nerf and there are cards that are just good because they are class cards so they need to be, like the ones I mentioned above. Doomguard is actually a pretty good equivalent. In some scenarios (best case) you got rid of your hand early and its implicit drawback becomes nonexistent. When Zoo was more common and dominant you bet people were calling for a Doomguard nerf on the basis that getting rid of your hand on curve wasn't hard at all.

I didn't single out your post because you were not the only one to mention it. Several people have on top of Kripp's video. Well, I obviously disagree with what you think Druid should be. Ramp is one aspect of Druid, but saying that one thing and thing only defines a class is too close minded for me. Offensive and Defensive Balance (hero power) and minion versatility before powerful stat distribution (choose one, for example) is as much part of the Druid's identity as ramp is. Wild Growth has already been phased out by a fast meta simply because you can't afford to skip a turn for one empty mana. Cards like Shielded Minibot punish you very hard for it. Turn 7 might as well be irrelevant at that point. Card acceleration is needed because Druid's early game has been very lacking but it can all change.

How often is card advantage a concern? I'm not sure you can even single out AoL for that. How many times you actually get to play it way ahead of curve and take advantage of it with mana acceleration? Best case scenario (Double Innervate + Coin) might still net you an even hand, but if you have played it before you know it feels no less than an all in: sacrificing strategy for a scary minion and top decks. Even if card advantage is not a concern right now because of combo and sticky minions and several other things, there's still a trade-off of board and tempo for value because it is a midgame body with a lategame cost that is not that hard to deal with all things considered. Board I would say, is just as important, and extra mana is not always enough to play from behind on board, because as I pointed out, Druid has another weak spot coming from mid into lategame: efficient removal.

Probably feels more punishing than it really is because of what we've both already agreed does need a nerf: combo.

I feel like this conversation is becoming more complicated than it needs to be.

Druids have a mechanic that sacrifices cards for mana. They also have very good card draw.

So druids have this mechanic with a downside, and then they also get given tools to mitigate the downside.

I think the fact that they have both is -- from a very fundamental perspective on class design and balance -- odd, to say the least.

You mentioned that ramp is not the only the thing that defines Druid, and that's true. I'm just not sure how that's supposed to change the way I'm looking at this.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
So I just spent a ton of money on gvg cards and naxxramas and just spent the dust for dr. boom, and now that shit is wasted because of this change that I didn't know about.

Might be done with this game, doesn't matter to Blizzard though, they already took like half my disposable money since I started playing a month ago.

Thanks a lot Blizzard.

I think I just had my very first game vs a secret paladin, had a golden portrait too, somehow managed to win. Pretty sure I would've had no chance if he didn't let me mirror image both Mysterious Challenger and Justicar though(did not expect Justicar either). Even then though MC provides such a huge swing in momentum even though I had control.

At the end he had a full board, I had nothing but two fireballs and an arcane intellect while he had 15 health. I found frost bolt, won next turn. Really fun game, though I bet these are much less fun usually.

Xanathus

So I just spent a ton of money on gvg cards and naxxramas and just spent the dust for dr. boom, and now that shit is wasted because of this change that I didn't know about.

Might be done with this game, doesn't matter to Blizzard though, they already took like half my disposable money since I started playing a month ago.

Thanks a lot Blizzard.
Sorry that happened, but I've been advocating people not to spend any real money on Hearthstone since shortly after GVG came out,

Tagyhag

Thanks a lot Blizzard.

You'll be able to hopefully dust those cards for their full value.

I also wouldn't blame Blizzard for you spending your money lol.

Apathy

Thanks a lot Blizzard.

Well they aren't worthless, there is going to be two leaders with the exact same rewards, one just happens to not allow gvg and naxx cards and one that will. So you can still use them and still use them in brawls. And until that new expansion comes they are still strong.

I think I just had my very first game vs a secret paladin, had a golden portrait too, somehow managed to win. Pretty sure I would've had no chance if he didn't let me mirror image both Mysterious Challenger and Justicar though(did not expect Justicar either). Even then though MC provides such a huge swing in momentum even though I had control.

At the end he had a full board, I had nothing but two fireballs and an arcane intellect while he had 15 health. I found frost bolt, won next turn. Really fun game, though I bet these are much less fun usually.

Goes to prove secret paladins don't have the ability to play around secrets, they just think it's face roll to a win.

Pooya

People are happy secret paladin is out of standard, but I'm more happy bullshit mage is out for good.

no portal, no scientist, no flame cannon. Those are enough to gut this awful roll dice deck for ever.

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
I saw that BGH mana breakdown from the top of the page. So can someone explain the Hunter Secrets to me?

The Mage ones are balanced because their effects of copying minions, raising new ones, cancelling spells, etc, all depend on your opponent and thus, can not be fully controlled. You can get anywhere from 1 mana to 10 mana worth of value from your 3 investment.

Hunter secrets are 2 mana but are bear trap that summons a 3 mana creature. Explosive which is one mana less than Holy Nova or two Arcane Explosions, 4 mana worth. Freezing. Which I would completely disagree on the foundation of the card. Because the secret triggers WHILE the minion is attacking, the add plus two mana is more like a sap and man penalty. 4 mana worth. If it was AFTER minion attacked, that'd be different. All the other ones seem balanced. And therefore don't see play.

EDIT: Wouldn't be so sure about gutting Tempo Mage. Arcane Explosion, Forgotten Torch, Ice Lance, they just need one more two of spell to stay in the game.

Apathy

People are happy secret paladin is out of standard, but I'm more happy bullshit mage is out for good.

no portal, no scientist, no flame cannon. Those are enough to gut this awful roll dice deck for ever.

Mech mage is so dead too. That thing got nuked out of existence.

I will still hate secret paladin more.

Mech mage is dead for sure(mech anything really), but I'm sure tempo mage will get some stuff to make up for losing flame cannon and portal, and if it does I'll continue to be playing it even if it ends up being worse.

No scientist is a huge blow but I hate that card anyway so whatever.

Top Bottom