• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT5| Corrupted Deeprock Salt

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
You'll be able to hopefully dust those cards for their full value.

I also wouldn't blame Blizzard for you spending your money lol.

I hope I can dust them for full value. Fuck.

I'll blame Blizzard all I want if I spent a bunch of money and then the cards I bought become useless. That's shit that needs to be stated WAYYYYY in advance. Either that or don't allow people to use real money in the game.

Had I known ahead of time I would have spend far less money and focused on the new ranked card-base, and would have had the better cards for it.

But If I can dust the old cards at full value, then it's moot. I really, really doubt that's going to happen. I wonder how many other new players got fucked after being roped in by the christmas sale? Blizzard knows how to make money!

Kornflayx

I'll blame Blizzard all I want if I spent a bunch of money and then the cards I bought become useless. That's shit that needs to be stated WAYYYYY in advance. Either that or don't allow people to use real money in the game.

Had I known ahead of time I would have spend far less money and focused on the new ranked card-base, and would have had the better cards for it.

But If I can dust the old cards at full value, then it's moot. I really, really doubt that's going to happen. I wonder how many other new players got fucked after being roped in by the christmas sale? Blizzard knows how to make money!

But the cards are not useless now. You can use them for ranked in Wild mode. It's the same as before, there's just an additional mode that will be used for the World Championship

Wasn't the Christmas sale Classic packs only?

I saw that BGH mana breakdown from the top of the page. So can someone explain the Hunter Secrets to me?

The Mage ones are balanced because their effects of copying minions, raising new ones, cancelling spells, etc, all depend on your opponent and thus, can not be fully controlled. You can get anywhere from 1 mana to 10 mana worth of value from your 3 investment.

Hunter secrets are 2 mana but are bear trap that summons a 3 mana creature. Explosive which is one mana less than Holy Nova or two Arcane Explosions, 4 mana worth. Freezing. Which I would completely disagree on the foundation of the card. Because the secret triggers WHILE the minion is attacking, the add plus two mana is more like a sap and man penalty. 4 mana worth. If it was AFTER minion attacked, that'd be different. All the other ones seem balanced. And therefore don't see play.

EDIT: Wouldn't be so sure about gutting Tempo Mage. Arcane Explosion, Forgotten Torch, Ice Lance, they just need one more two of spell to stay in the game.

You have to think of secrets of anti tempo plays without mad scientist. Knowing that mages or hunters dont have a play that turn is pretty nice. If you know it's not snake or freezing, bear and explosive are easy to play around. Also with how games go now, decks like zoo, secret paladin, etc all have minions that they dont care get hit w/ freezing traps. Bear loses to a lot of things like truesilver, win axe, darkbomb, etc

I've been having more success with my tempo mage now that I've realized I should just use my spells if I can early on, I felt that they were wasted on smaller targets but that momentum is worth more than I initially thought and frostbolts aren't as good as I give them credit for lategame.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Crafted Thalnos so I can start playing Freeze Mage. Win or lose, if everyone is gonna play Paladin anyway I'll make sure no one has fun.

inky

I feel like this conversation is becoming more complicated than it needs to be.

Druids have a mechanic that sacrifices cards for mana. They also have very good card draw.

So druids have this mechanic with a downside, and then they also get given tools to mitigate the downside.

I think the fact that they have both is -- from a very fundamental perspective on class design and balance -- odd, to say the least.

You mentioned that ramp is not the only the thing that defines Druid, and that's true. I'm just not sure how that's supposed to change the way I'm looking at this.

Warriors have this mechanic where they sacrifice their HP to control the board (high damage weapons). They also have very good removal in the form of Shield Slam and Execute. Warriors are also given tools to mitigate the downside of that mechanic: Shield generation. Is that odd too?

It's not supposed to be that simple either, that is why I don't agree. AoL is good card draw but like I said, it also has a different drawback: minion size/board. Druids are also given tools to mitigate that downside in the form of stalling/comeback mechanics (very big taunts, lots of healing). We can't look at mechanics in a vacuum like that. It all works together.

inky

Probably not. The whole point of doing the standards thing is so they don't have to balance Naxx and GVG cards and don't have to give out full dust refunds.

Not sure that's the whole point ;P But still a veeeery convenient side effect for them.

Brode implied that they'd do some balancing if it got really bad in Wild but I think that means that a card has to be even more broken than anything in the game right now.

It's kinda a bummer that you'll have to keep dealing with those broken cards in Arena though.

ViviOggi

Tempo+Mech Mage, Secredin, Druid, Zoo. That's 100% of the ladder right there and it's not even the second week of the month. All the desperate trashlords trying to get "proper" legend one last time before they're relegated to the Wild cesspit.

Should really just stick to arena until the patch hits.

Catvoca

Banned
Brode implied that they'd do some balancing if it got really bad in Wild but I think that means that a card has to be even more broken than anything in the game right now.

It's kinda a bummer that you'll have to keep dealing with those broken cards in Arena though.

The more cards get added to arena, the less likely it is that the OP ones will show up though.

inky

There's also the point of forcing all competitive players to keep purchasing expansions forever.

That too. No way to escape lame duck expansions like TGT now.

Although I'm at least a bit positive about the possibilities. Like, remember when Iron Juggernaut and Malorne and Neptulon were supposed to shake things up? Maybe cards like that will have a chance now. Maybe.

ViviOggi

Also more than half of the Secredins I run into are golden, no other class is even remotely close

Undertaker era was more enjoyable than this

That too. No way to escape lame duck expansions like TGT now.

Although I'm at least a bit positive about the possibilities. Like, remember when Iron Juggernaut and Malorne and Neptulon were supposed to shake things up? Maybe cards like that will have a chance now. Maybe.

Cards like that will still get you a big minion on turn 6/7/8 while your opponent has already won by turn 5 unless Blizzard really shakes things up with the upcoming set.

inky

Cards like that will still get you a big minion on turn 6/7/8 while your opponent has already won by turn 5 unless Blizzard really shakes things up with the upcoming set.

Hopefully they slow things down then. Plus, just a few examples. Could apply to smaller cards too.

Zemm

Also more than half of the Secredins I run into are golden, no other class is even remotely close

This is definitely the worst era of Hearthstone and it's even worse because you know that soon all these cancer decks will be dead or very different.

Pooya

It's getting like that with shaman too, obviously no where near the same amount but I had not seen this many golden shaman for a whole year that I've seen these past couple of months.

Ladekabel

I know I should be saving gold for the next expansion but I can't resist buying classic packs. Bought 2 today. Even got a legendary. It was King Mukkla but still a legendary.

Tarazet

I crafted Edwin van Cleef to try out Lifecoach's Miracle Rogue. Got my ass handed to me comprehensively in every game I played. This is supposed to be fun? I only got a "miracle turn" in one game out of 6, and that's because I kept the goblin in my mulligan..

There's also the point of forcing all competitive players to keep purchasing expansions forever.

The point is to avoid having to releasing stronger and stronger cards to keep up with the power curve, which they would have to do in order to keep the game fresh.

These conspiracy theories are silly. Competitive players are gonna get all the new cards anyway... people here poured money into TGT despite the cards being weaker than GVG. I am pretty sure people would appreciate TGT more if the cards weren't competiing with GVG and naxx. TGT is pretty much the perfect example of why they must use formats, because continually pushing the power curve (dr. boom, emperor thaursian), is not good and people often hated it when it happened in the past. When you don't push the power curve, you get expansions like TGT which is filled with cool cards but they don't have any real impact on constructed.

Pooya

Thinking about it, Chillmaw is probably the best 7 drop in the standard now just looking at existing cards of course. That deathrattle effect counts for a lot now that sticky minions are out, it makes the card much more valuable I think, before it was just meh/ok. Dragon decks should do well, they all have these bulky undercosted minions, the next best thing after sticky minions.

Owzers

Has blizz said anything about the cardback bug? I keep changing it but it always defaults to the original card back. Just annoying.

the only way my cardback stays to the one i selected on my ipad is if i restart the game after each play session, if i don't close the app it shows the original.

Haunted

Tempo+Mech Mage, Secredin, Druid, Zoo. That's 100% of the ladder right there and it's not even the second week of the month. All the desperate trashlords trying to get "proper" legend one last time before they're relegated to the Wild cesspit.

Should really just stick to arena until the patch hits.
Wait, how is playing one of the five best decks with wildly differing amounts of dust requirements and piloting skills making everyone into a trashlord? Surely there must be a limit to shitting on decks or we could complain about literally everything. :lol

If your point is that everything's about tempo these days, don't put that on other people being trashlords, put it on the meta being too fast and control and card advantage too weak or something.

Also, I'm still proudly holding up the flag and playing Control Warrior. ;_;7

Zemm

probably calling them trashlords because those decks play themselves, he didn't really need to specify secredin, could have just put Paladin.

Pooya

Zoo doesn't play itself really, there is a lot to playing zoo. positioning, mulligans, it takes quite of a bit of thinking and good sequencing to be very successful with it. Sure, you can play on curve and sometimes it just snowballs and you win but you won't be consistent.

Druid is dumb but even in that there is a lot of difference between an experience player and one just starts. Druid doesn't curve linearly, you have to find your curve. Sometimes again you get a stupid hand but there is a lot of room for misplay in here.

Secret paladin and tempo mage now are indeed trash.

Haunted

It was just too broad a brush for the top five decks in the game right now, Vivi knows better than that, I assume it was the salt speaking.

Apathy

Wait, how is playing one of the five best decks with wildly differing amounts of dust requirements and piloting skills making everyone into a trashlord? Surely there must be a limit to shitting on decks or we could complain about literally everything. :lol

If your point is that everything's about tempo these days, don't put that on other people being trashlords, put it on the meta being too fast and control and card advantage too weak or something.

Also, I'm still proudly holding up the flag and playing Control Warrior. ;_;7

Yeah I figure he was just angry after a loss. I fell secret paladin is the only one that is a trashlord set where you can just stroll to a win without even trying.

Even with avenge gone, while a big hit, the way the other secrets interact with each other is still going to be so damn annoying, and let's not forget any new secrets they decide to give paladins.

Xanathus

The thing Vivi is complaining about is that they're ALL tempo decks that only play the same single strategy. They just dump sticky minions on board, take favorable trades/go face, finish with burst. There used to be so many different archetypes of decks in Hearthstone with Miracle Rogue, Freeze Mage, Handlock, Control Warrior, Patron but now Tempo decks have been buffed to the point that all other archetypes aren't as effective.

ViviOggi

probably calling them trashlords because those decks play themselves, he didn't really need to specify secredin, could have just put Paladin.
Yeah that's the idea.

^^I'll throw those BrokeBack decks together any day of the week, but of course my original post was a bit hyperbolic.

Zoo doesn't play itself really, there is a lot to playing zoo. positioning, mulligans, it takes quite of a bit of thinking and good sequencing to be very successful with it. Sure, you can play on curve and sometimes it just snowballs and you win but you won't be consistent.

Druid is dumb but even in that there is a lot of difference between an experience player and one just starts. Druid doesn't curve linearly, you have to find your curve. Sometimes again you get a stupid hand but there is a lot of room for misplay in here.

Secret paladin and tempo mage now are indeed trash.
Eh, there's certainly a slight difference in skill ceiling between those decks but you can easily be consistent and reach legend relatively comfortably with very basic matchup knowledge despite frequent minor/occasional major misplays. Zoo's got the rng safety net while Druid just has a shitload of really, really strong single cards and obviously the combo.

Perfect Zoo positioning and finding unintuitive Druid plays only really make a difference when you're going for triple digit legend ranks.

Zemm

Like 99% of zoo players (or players in general) don't care about positioning. And 99% of the time it doesn't really matter.

Just wait until the return of Betrayal and Cone of Cold! Then you'll all rue the day you forgot about positioning!

Maybe Warriors will even run Magnataur Alpha! Remember that card?

Zemm

Yeah I'd actually like to see more cards that punish poor positioning like CoC, would add a little more skill to the game without relying on RNG.

Maybe that could be part of the new board removal cards they introduce.

Yeah I'd actually like to see more cards that punish poor positioning like CoC, would add a little more skill to the game without relying on RNG.

Maybe that could be part of the new board removal cards they introduce.
It's a definite possibility. Even Hunters picked up Power Shot recently and will always have Explosive Shot too. I'd like it too if positioning was more important since it's something you have to learn and think about.

I was wondering how'll they balance cards that are oppressive in wild but not in standard. Will it just be a general nerf or will they try to keep the nerfs per each format

ViviOggi

I was wondering how'll they balance cards that are oppressive in wild but not in standard. Will it just be a general nerf or will they try to keep the nerfs per each format
I believe they said cards will always stay the same between formats, and if I'm misremembering it's still all but Guaranteed to work that way. Blizzard has stated time and time again that they don't want to confuse players coming back to their old decks like Patron Warrior or Miracle Rogue just to find cards don't work like they used to, which is why they go above and beyond to preserve the spirit of every card.

Top Bottom