• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT5| Corrupted Deeprock Salt

Apathy

I believe they said cards will always stay the same between formats, and if I'm misremembering it's still all but Guaranteed to work that way. Blizzard has stated time and time again that they don't want to confuse players coming back to their old decks like Patron Warrior or Miracle Rogue just to find cards don't work like they used to, which is why they go above and beyond to preserve the spirit of every card.

Which means wild is going to be just that, wild as fuck. Bleck, never want to step into that ladder.

But if every deck is wild, insane, and overpowered, then no one is!

Being honest, while it's easy to tell people nothing is wasted because Wild is a format, there's still a high chance that 'your favorite cards' might still turn out to be useless against whatever runs rampant in that format.

OK, so I think I've managed to put into words why this change could be seen as awful:

You can still use all your cards in the wild mode, however, that meta, which we are currently in, is a sucky tempo fest. So they are not going to fix that with this change, it will just continue to get worse.

And I feel like I was compelled to craft Dr. Tempo in order to compete in this meta... And now his value has been, practically speaking, reduced to zero

Dahbomb

Man the salts levels are high today.

Can't wait for the nerf lists.

I expect to see a lot of Leeroy and "soul of the card" memes.

Apathy

But if every deck is wild, insane, and overpowered, then no one is!

Being honest, while it's easy to tell people nothing is wasted because Wild is a format, there's still a high chance that 'your favorite cards' might still turn out to be useless against whatever runs rampant in that format.

We're going to have to see how the new cards will deal with the existing wild before we can be certain though. Let's say we get a card that steals all secrets. Suddenly in wild, secret paladin is fucked. Obviously that's a huge chance of not happening, but a card has potential until we see the new cards

Frenden

Banned
I'm fucking stoked. Standard can't get here soon enough. And Wild should get downright nuts in a few more expansions which has its own appeal.

ViviOggi

I can't think of a time outside of this week for this game where so many have been angry/salty while so many others have been happy/excited.

That's not really how it is, more like almost everybody here was happy about the news of the much-anticipated (and -needed) shakeup, after which reality hits even harder when you actually play some matches: game's a shit and it'll likely be months until we finally get our hands on the good stuff.

And the same people continue to be excited, there's just not that much to post about until Blizz starts the info stream. I'm really looking forward to the nerf details, even moreso than the actual expansion.

Tagyhag

I'm fucking stoked. Standard can't get here soon enough. And Wild should get downright nuts in a few more expansions which has its own appeal.

I wouldn't be surprised if Wild's meta doesn't change in like 4-5 years.

Everyone just using GVG/Naxx cards.

Pooya

looking at Red Bull tourney AMA on reddit, reynad, strifecro and savijz all think giants should be nerfed, strifecro in particular just mentions them to emphasize it. These guys probably gave similar feedback to Blizzard too so it's kinda interesting.

I'm not sure how they can nerf all those giants but it's a problem of course and there is BGH. Maybe they change BGH to hit on 8 attack minions but that makes BGH a bad card to have and giants will roam free because no one wants to play BGH just in case of handlock.

looking at Red Bull tourney AMA on reddit, reynad, strifecro and savijz all think giants should be nerfed, strifecro in particular just mentions them to emphasize it. These guys probably gave similar feedback to Blizzard too so it's kinda interesting.

I'm not sure how they can nerf all those giants but it's a problem of course and there is BGH. Maybe they change BGH to hit on 8 attack minions but that makes BGH a bad card to have and giants will roam free because no one wants to play BGH just in case of handlock.

Start Molten Giant with a higher mana cost?

Acerac

Banned
There's also the point of forcing all competitive players to keep purchasing expansions forever.

That's how the game is now.

This changes nothing. :p

Poor clockwork giant you do not deserve this.

JesseZao

That's how the game is now.

This changes nothing. :p

Except that, over time, new cards will make less and less of a relative impact unless Blizz goes all out power creep. Deck archetypes will remain with maybe swapping out a few cards here and there.

ViviOggi

Poor clockwork giant you do not deserve this.

He's out anyway
2175BA9BEB76EEC5CA31BDCA25E3693E9330B391

Owzers

i'm hoping that the day before LoE is to be cycled out of standard Blizzard decides to bring Reno back to life and make him a classic card.

Priest spammed thank you after playing deathlord and me killing it the next turn, this happened 3 turns in a row and then he roped when I had lethal

QQ

Apathy

i'm hoping that the day before LoE is to be cycled out of standard Blizzard decides to bring Reno back to life and make him a classic card.

They might just give a new card the same effect but that the whole deck from being created only runs 1 of each card, rather than how you can have dupes with Reno as long as they aren't any when he's played.

I like Reno, I like it most when a someone goes to full and I take him back down to 8 health instantly

Acerac

Banned
Priest spammed thank you after playing deathlord and me killing it the next turn, this happened 3 turns in a row and then he roped when I had lethal

QQ
When somebody ropes me after I've established lethal (assuming it's safe) I clear their board and go do some minor chores.

Can't even be mad about a good opportunity to take out the garbage.
Except that, over time, new cards will make less and less of a relative impact unless Blizz goes all out power creep. Deck archetypes will remain with maybe swapping out a few cards here and there.

Over time eventually people would have no reason to buy cards. That sounds hella lame.

I enjoy how the game has evolved. The fact that I've been compelled to buy every new set (not as much with TGT) is a positive, not a negative.

Acerac

Banned
What if you leave and they drop reno

That's why I clear their board first. Worst case I have to kill them again.

Eventually this plan may backfire, but I've gotten a lot of chores done doing it and I've yet to have it screw me, so I'm not too worried.

Zemm

Even without murk eye, Anyfin decks would be strong. It would still beat the decks it beats now. Something about Anyfin itself needs to change.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Even without murk eye, Anyfin decks would be strong. It would still beat the decks it beats now. Something about Anyfin itself needs to change.

I honestly doubt that quite a bit. Murk Eye is a huge part of the damage potential of that deck.

Zemm

I honestly doubt that quite a bit. Murk Eye is a huge part of the damage potential of that deck.

It'll obviously be weaker but back to back Anyfin's is still going to destroy priest, warlock, druid, basically everyone but Warrior with loads of armor. I played it a lot (over 100 games) and really don't think it'll make a huge difference, the deck will still be run and will still be a 100% win vs Priest :'(

Man the salts levels are high today.

Can't wait for the nerf lists.

I expect to see a lot of Leeroy and "soul of the card" memes.
My salt is massive right now. I went 4-3 in Arena with a priest deck because I lost the first two matches for irritating reasons. In the first match, I coined Faerie Dragon in because I thought "Hey, 3/2 and spell immune - pretty safe". The guy played Goblin...Bomber? Both barrels land on the Faerie Dragon's face, and I never regain tempo in the match, always one step behind.

Second match I was playing, and I was using most of my clock to figure out the perfect play in a complicated situation. I finally got it and was like "YES, I WIN!" But the rope burst IMMEDIATELY as I was making my last move in the series.

I really wish that the timer would extend by 2 seconds every time you attack with a creature, because I hate watching that tick down while I'm waiting for animations to play out.

CoolOff

In another stream, Ratsmah is on course to beat the arena challenge. He had 81 in 8, with all classes played now that he's running Druid for the 9th.

Kornflayx

My salt is massive right now. I went 4-3 in Arena with a priest deck because I lost the first two matches for irritating reasons. In the first match, I coined Faerie Dragon in because I thought "Hey, 3/2 and spell immune - pretty safe". The guy played Goblin...Bomber? Both barrels land on the Faerie Dragon's face, and I never regain tempo in the match, always one step behind.

Second match I was playing, and I was using most of my clock to figure out the perfect play in a complicated situation. I finally got it and was like "YES, I WIN!" But the rope burst IMMEDIATELY as I was making my last move in the series.

I really wish that the timer would extend by 2 seconds every time you attack with a creature, because I hate watching that tick down while I'm waiting for animations to play out.

Ah yes, the stupid Mad Bomber swings in Arena.

Ah yes, the stupid Mad Bomber swings in Arena.
The really frustrating thing is that I could have stopped it. I also had a Haunted Creeper to coin in. If I had coined that in, I would have had 2 1/1 minions against his 3/2 for the trade, and I would have had better tempo than him for the rest of the game. But...what were the chances? :-/

Since they need to create 3 decks, the power level is gonna be really similar.

Maybe. I feel this format could have really highlighted the deck building aspect if it was the same pool. Easier to analyze decisions and differentiate when they have the same tools. Here however, there's so much discrepancy that you don't get to compare decision making between the teams.

Chmpocalypse

Blizzard
By the way, I got the "watch a friend" daily quest today (yay). Will you be around for me to observe for a match tonight?

Thoughts on my deck post?

You put a lot of thought into it, but I'm not convinced a dreadsteed deck will ever be viable. Fun, but middling. However, who knows what the upcoming expansion might bring to boost it and other unusual decks? I'd be thrilled for more eccentric lists to work (I myself run a highlander Brannadin deck that is about mid-tier but so much fun to play).

You put a lot of thought into it, but I'm not convinced a dreadsteed deck will ever be viable. Fun, but middling. However, who knows what the upcoming expansion might bring to boost it and other unusual decks? I'd be thrilled for more eccentric lists to work (I myself run a highlander Brannadin deck that is about mid-tier but so much fun to play).
Dahbomb ran the Demonlock variant, and I'm pretty sure that one isn't viable. I put together two others that I think will run better, but who knows...

I decided to just run Arena for a while. Even if I spent all my coins on Naxx, I don't have the Dreadsteed cards, so it's kind of a silly investment. Arena is the most efficient use of coins.

Top Bottom