• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT5| Corrupted Deeprock Salt

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
So I drafted this disgusting Warlock deck.

ZAygO5J.jpg

Wanna guess how many games I won with it?

Only one. FML

ZealousD

Pretty high curve.

Uh, not really? Two one drops. Five two drops and five three drops. 6 four drops. That should be a very solid early game. And my void caller meant that those expensive demons aren't necessarily played from hand.

sibarraz

Banned
Uh, not really? Two one drops. Five two drops and five three drops. 6 four drops. That should be a very solid early game. And my void caller meant that those expensive demons aren't necessarily played from hand.

I'm not an arena expert, but I feel like your early game isn't that good, since you don't had many chances to snowball from your 1 mana minions, and even the 2 mana minions doesn't had that many good stats besides mechwarper (I had learned to valorate more health that attack on arena)

And your 2 mana minions are not really that good, Heck, 2 of those card imo are not really 2 mana cost drops (boneguard liutenant has awful stats unless you activate the hero power, making it an 3/3 for 4 mana) and sunfury protecter requires you to had minions on board, so you will never use her on turn 2

Red Bull tournament is pretty terrible.

who thought it was a good idea to have all the matches at the same time and then try to commentate them all that the same time with the same casters?

they are talking about things that aren't even on screen at the moment.

"oh yeah, if that paladin juggler hit it will be huge"
on screen is mirrormatch between mages - no juggler in sight.

One thing that concerns me about the future of Warlock is that most of the class cards are terrible. Good Warlock decks are mostly neutral cards, and that says a lot about the design of the class right now.

Because constructed is awful
Haha...

I guess I'm used to a lower curve. /shrug

ZealousD

I'm not an arena expert, but I feel like your early game isn't that good, since you don't had many chances to snowball from your 1 mana minions, and even the 2 mana minions doesn't had that many good stats besides mechwarper (I had learned to valorate more health that attack on arena)

And your 2 mana minions are not that really good, Heck, 2 of those card imo are not really 2 mana cost drops (boneguard liutenant has awful stats unless you activate the hero power, making it an 3/3 for 4 mana) and sunfury protecter requires you to had minions on board, so you will never use her on turn 2

Yeah, you're absolutely thinking like a constructed player right now. You draft what 2 drops you can get. You can't always get shielded minibot level 2 drops. Boneguard and Sunfury absolutely get dropped on Turn 2.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
One thing that concerns me about the future of Warlock is that most of the class cards are terrible. Good Warlock decks are mostly neutral cards, and that says a lot about the design of the class right now.

Thats because Warlock has arguably the best hero power, so it gets weaker/riskier cards to compensate.

sibarraz

Banned
Yeah, you're absolutely thinking like a constructed player right now. You draft what 2 drops you can get. You can't always get shielded minibot level 2 drops. Boneguard and Sunfury absolutely get dropped on Turn 2.

Nop, I'm thinking as an arena player that knows that you will had lots of problems with anyone who starts with a zombie chow or a jousted gadgetzan jouster, backstab, shielded minibot, a rogue that had a weapon buffed by the 1 cost pirate (which you had no way to remove on turn 1 if they start) or other good early drops, then he plays on curve and you will had troubles recovering, specially since you only had 2 cards that can ping (mortal coil and argent horserider) even mad bomber can screw your 1 hp minions.

Shiver

And your 2 mana minions are not really that good, Heck, 2 of those card imo are not really 2 mana cost drops (boneguard liutenant has awful stats unless you activate the hero power, making it an 3/3 for 4 mana) and sunfury protecter requires you to had minions on board, so you will never use her on turn 2
all those are pretty good 2-drops.

Zemm

The redbull thing is pretty bad. Long waits for the draft then trying to cast and watch 3 games at once with poor production values :/

I guess they don't have time to make a proper tournament with 1 game at a time.

ZealousD

Nop, I'm thinking as an arena player that knows that you will had lots of problems with anyone who starts with a zombie chow or a jousted gadgetzan jouster, backstab, shielded minibot, a rogue that had a weapon buffed by the 1 cost pirate (which you had no way to remove on turn 1 if they start) or other good early drops, then he plays on curve and you will had troubles recovering, specially since you only had 2 cards that can ping (mortal coil and argent horserider) even mad bomber can screw your 1 hp minions.

In a deck I went 12-1 with, I only draft 1 one-drop (abusive sergeant), and in my 2 drop slot I had River Crocolisk, Faerie Dragon, and Mad Scientist (with 0 secrets).

If you think my early game for my warlock deck was too weak, explain that to me.

Boneguard and Sunfury Protector very good 2 drops to draft and they will absolutely be dropped on Turn 2 when I am given the opportunity. Tempo is king. I am not going to fuss about incremental amounts of value that early on in an arena game.

The problem is their production/cast doesn't match their format. They're trying to cast it like a single slow paced regular game but it's three fast contemporaneous games. They need to be constantly switching between games and talking much faster or they need to figure out a way to fit three games on one screen.

Hearing the players is more entertaining than the cast in my opinion precisely because they're talking about all three games super fast, so ideally you would want the viewers to be able to experience that same thing. Not sure how I would approach the problem if I was on production. You could easily fit two games in one screen, but three would be too cluttered and small probably.

It's a shame because I think if you could display all three games at the same time and hear the teams' commentary it would be really entertaining. It's a cool draft format.

sibarraz

Banned
I was hyped by the archon/firebat drama, but this tournament already has soured on me

In a deck I went 12-1 with, I only draft 1 one-drop (abusive sergeant), and in my 2 drop slot I had River Crocolisk, Faerie Dragon, and Mad Scientist (with 0 secrets).

If you think my early game for my warlock deck was too weak, explain that to me.

Boneguard and Sunfury Protector very good 2 drops to draft and they will absolutely be dropped on Turn 2 when I am given the opportunity. Tempo is king. I am not going to fuss about incremental amounts of value that early on in an arena game.

But it also depends on which class you were using wih that 12-1 run and which cards you had that supported you.

I had also went 12-1 on arena so don't hink that I had never played there

Sande

I've been averaging more than one legendary for a few arena drafts now. Almost feels like they've increased the odds.

Argh, just let us hear the players talk. You can't do commentary on the players' design process that's better than hearing their actual design process.

I believe ive lost my hearthstone account , since i was logged in with VPN the other day and i cant remember my security question anwser .
This might be a good thing.

Peléo

Argh, just let us hear the players talk. You can't do commentary on the players' design process that's better than hearing their actual design process.

Exactly. The whole point of the event is to see how players think and work together to build decks. Why there are putting so much emphasys in the commentary right now is beyond my understanding.

Interviews during the deck building process is probably the most mindboggling thing about this in terms of production. Glad to see the players just rebuff them away but I don't know how that got out of committee so to speak.

ZealousD

So as new player, what the best way to spend my gold now?

Classic packs. I don't recommend dipping your toes too heavily in arena right now. I'd wait until you hit Rank 15 consistently.

If you decide to pay real money into the game, put it into the Adventure modes. You get way more bang-for-buck by spending money on adventures over packs. Don't spend gold on Adventures unless you decide you want to be 100% free to play.

sibarraz

Banned
I've been averaging more than one legendary for a few arena drafts now. Almost feels like they've increased the odds.

Now I started an arena run with druid and I drafted an justicar and Ysera.

Also, I discovered a kelthuzad with raven idol lol

I mean a lot of them are downright unusable. Felguard is a game-losing card.

All the classes have shitty class cards. While its true Warlock probably has the most, Life Tap is so much better then every other hero power that good ol Gul'Dan can make up for it with ease.

Then again, Warlock is losing two of their most powerful class cards, Imp-plosion and Voidcaller and have been handed nothing but garbage aside from Dark Peddler since.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
All the classes have shitty class cards. While its true Warlock probably has the most, Life Tap is so much better then every other hero power that good ol Gul'Dan can make up for it with ease.

Then again, Warlock is losing two of their most powerful class cards, Imp-plosion and Voidcaller and have been handed nothing but garbage aside from Dark Peddler since.

Imp Gang and Dark Peddler will be the old guard.

Ladekabel

That Shadowform Priest with all the AoE in it sucks the life out of you. I had to concede to keep my sanity.

And Warlocks always topdeck Hellfire when I set up my Patrons.

Dahbomb

Warlock has some good cards in its Classic arsenal.

Flame Imp and Void Walker are amazing 1 drops.

Shadowflame and Hellfire are great AOE removals.

Siphon Soul is a reliable removal.

Doom Guard is good.

Infernal is hella underrated and very good starting out in the game.

Jaraxxus is a top tier legendary.

Power Overwhelming is very good as. Void Terror is solid.

Mortal Coil is a solid cycle.

Main issue with Warlock is good minions at the 2-4 slot. They have to use neutral minions in those slots. Their 2,3,4 drops have too high a cost for their stats. Right now they have Dark Peddler and Imp Gang to fill those slots but next year they need help from expansions

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
I'm coming to the conclusion that Rogue is great to get out of the lower ranks. I'm most likely just projecting but my opponents seem unsure to what's happening when I'm playing it (Raptor Rogue right now). I know when I was starting I had no earthly idea wtf Rogues were doing.

I'm coming to the conclusion that Rogue is great to get out of the lower ranks. I'm most likely just projecting but my opponents seem unsure to what's happening when I'm playing it (Raptor Rogue right now). I know when I was starting I had no earthly idea wtf Rogues were doing.
Most of the time I still don't know what Rogue's are doing and I play Rogue from time to time!

Warlocks are also really hard for me to read. No idea what kind of deck they're running until like turn 5 or 6

Damn I have enough dust to craft a couple of legendaries, but I don't feel like I should do anything until the new update happens.

But there's some new decks I wanna try out.

Are most folk saving their gold and dust right now?

Top Bottom