• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT5| Corrupted Deeprock Salt

Acerac

Banned
Any suggestions for a substitution in a dragon priest deck if I don't have a twilight guardian? Think a heckler could do a good enough job as a halfway decent sub? Shieldmasta perhaps?

Taz Dingo might be passable, but I'd try to get my hands on the guardians asap. You have to consider that none of the other options have the dragon tag. I've had matches where I keep a ysera in my opening hand solely because it has that tag, having a 4 cost minion that sports it is huge.

Hell, thinking about it I'd probably suggest going twilight drake in the mean time. If you don't get a dragon early the deck falls apart, and not being able to mulligan chromagus hurts.

Oh my bad, I read your first post as you were scared of using AOE near the start when you played a mage. My bad
It's all good, and not entirely untrue. ;-)

Most of the popular mage decks don't tend to run any AoE since they're more aggressive. Mech/Tempo running something like flamestrike get really fucked over when it actually gets drawn early. Similar to Zoo really, since they usually don't have hellfire/demonfire.

Control Mages aren't super common but those are the decks that will run flamestrikes, explosive sheep, etc. while freeze mage has all of them + doomsayer nova.
I learn something new every day.

watching kolento and the amount of awful zoo players who keep tapping last that he comes up against is incredible.
I'm working on breaking this habit. :-/

Blizzard should nerf Shadowflame while they're at it.
How is it too good?

Man, what the hell is it going to take for Blizzard to realize Life Tap just isn't balanced.

Every other hero power is flat out garbage compared to it.
Hunter hero power counters Life Tap a lot of the time. One thing about Warlocks is they often can't tap safely in the late game, but every other class still has full access to its power without consequences.

FUCK RENO JACKSON!
My man.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Reno honestly takes this game to levels of frustration beyond enjoyment.

Yesterday I went up against a Reno Warrior and I fucked up and missed lethal.

The very next turn Reno came down.

I still won that game in a couple turns. Just extended BM, guys.

WE'RE GONNA BE RICH

Apathy

Taz Dingo might be passable, but I'd try to get my hands on the guardians asap. You have to consider that none of the other options have the dragon tag. I've had matches where I keep a ysera in my opening hand solely because it has that tag, having a 4 cost minion that sports it is huge.

Hell, thinking about it I'd probably suggest going twilight drake in the mean time. If you don't get a dragon early the deck falls apart, and not being able to mulligan chromagus hurts.

Yeah I got twilight drakes x 2, I guess I'm going to have to get tgt packs and hope for the best.

How is it too good?

Hunter hero power counters Life Tap a lot of the time. One thing about Warlocks is they often can't tap safely in the late game, but every other class still has full access to its power without consequences.

Because it's a top tier board clear in a class that now has a stupid amount of board clears/removal. Which on its own wouldn't be a big deal if it wasn't for the fact that Warlock can essentially draw cards on demand and mitigate the damage they take with burst heals.

And taking into account that healing is why Life Tap is so much better than the other hero powers and continues to only get better with the addition of new and better cards. Drawing a card for 2 mana and 2 health is an insane deal when the health loss means very little.

It's a big reason as to why Warlock has always had viable archetypes in the meta and probably always will.

Life Tap will ALWAYS be the strongest hero power. More then any other class Warlock needs to be balanced around its hero power. I say they were given garbage for TGT but they could be given garbage and still be usable.

Dahbomb

Shadowflame is fine man come on now son.

We need better board clears in the game not worse. Shadowflame is really only good because of stuff like Molten Giants which many people agree need a nerf anyway.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Disappointing to see the consistent hate for Reno Jackson. IMO it's the smartest card they've designed for the game in a very long time. Gives a good answer to aggro and also encourages/makes viable singleton decks.

Apathy

It's all good, and not entirely untrue. ;-)

I learn something new every day.

I'm working on breaking this habit. :-/

How is it too good?

My man.

Shadowflame can get kinda rediculous when used with power overwhelming on an ancient watcher or eerie statue, specially since people tend to ignore these guys and think nothing of them when played, so they can be set up way in advanced. That's fun to do. It's really really rare when someone has tried to go after an eerie statue.

Owzers

Disappointing to see the consistent hate for Reno Jackson. IMO it's the smartest card they've designed for the game in a very long time. Gives a good answer to aggro and also encourages/makes viable singleton decks.

i love reno but don't like playing against reno....maybe it is the molten/shadowflame/reno living the dream combo.

Shadowflame is fine man come on now son.

We need better board clears in the game not worse. Shadowflame is really only good because of stuff like Molten Giants which many people agree need a nerf anyway.

Shadowflame in a vaccum? Sure, it's fine.

Shadowflame + Demonwrath + Hellfire + Siphon Soul + Darkbomb + insane card draw + insane healing? Yeah, not so much.

Reno decks are probably the most easy decks to play around in the game. There is nothing more telegraphed then a Reno deck. If you get far enough into the game and they haven't played a single second of, then you know what to expect later down the line.

I wonder about warlock since they were the class that benefited most from antique healbot, but I suppose blizzard will find something to fill that niche since that card was a necessary response to aggro decks. Handlock has always been a good deck, and there's been some variation of zoo in the top tier for years, so I guess there isn't too much to worry about.

What I'm curious about is whether Blizzard decided on Standard before or after they released TGT. Is the lower strength of TGT cards compared to naxx/GvG cards a deliberate attempt to lower card strength across the board, since they knew those older cards were getting phased out?

Dahbomb

Shadowflame in a vaccum? Sure, it's fine.

Shadowflame + Demonwrath + Hellfire + Siphon Soul + Darkbomb + insane card draw + insane healing? Yeah, not so much.
Dark Bomb is going to leave, Healbot is going to leave, Demonwrath is eventually going to leave.

Hellfire and Siphon Soul are fair cards.

Shadow Flame is only really good with Sylvanas (a 10 mana play of very specific two cards) and Molten Giants. I don't even think this is that much worse than Pyromancer + Equality.

There are still numerous ways to punish high card draw abilities. Divine Favor, Fatigue decks, Mill decks etc.

Shadowflame can get kinda rediculous when used with power overwhelming on an ancient watcher or eerie statue, specially since people tend to ignore these guys and think nothing of them when played, so they can be set up way in advanced. That's fun to do. It's really really rare when someone has tried to go after an eerie statue.
That's 3 cards for a clear, though, and you need to have the big creature on the board in the first place. That seems fair to me.

3 hp, lifetap, draw reno

opponent concedes
This is me every time.

Reno honestly takes this game to levels of frustration beyond enjoyment.
Dahbomb has been helping me develop strategies to respond to it. I feel like I could pull a win vs. Renolock in the future.

Because it's a top tier board clear in a class that now has a stupid amount of board clears/removal. Which on its own wouldn't be a big deal if it wasn't for the fact that Warlock can essentially draw cards on demand and mitigate the damage they take with burst heals.

And taking into account that healing is why Life Tap is so much better than the other hero powers and continues to only get better with the addition of new and better cards. Drawing a card for 2 mana and 2 health is an insane deal when the health loss means very little.

It's a big reason as to why Warlock has always had viable archetypes in the meta and probably always will.
I don't think Warlock has a lot of good creature removal. Most of their removal is extremely costly or situational. Zoolock decks tend to run 0-1 removal cards because they just aren't that great. I agree Shadowflame is good, but I think it's fair - you are sacrificing a powerful creature to make use of it. If you use PO, that's 3 cards for the AoE.

A 30 life heal is just so much, and you don't have to earn it at all.

Reno is still less annoying then Ice Block.
I haven't had Ice Block cause a problem yet. You know when it's there, so you just wait 1 more turn to finish the job. Unless you are going all face and ignoring board control, it's just a 1-turn delay of the inevitable in most cases. Keep some direct damage on hand in case he plays a board clear.

I read an article on gosugamers where lothar suggests increasing the cost of reno to 8 mana. For a 30hp heal it seems to be reasonable. This was among some other suggested nerfs.
I think the card needs something to change. Lower heal or higher cost. Lower stats wouldn't mean much.

Dahbomb

I haven't had Ice Block cause a problem yet. You know when it's there, so you just wait 1 more turn to finish the job. Unless you are going all face and ignoring board control, it's just a 1-turn delay of the inevitable in most cases. Keep some direct damage on hand in case he plays a board clear.

Reno is pretty much the same. If you are already behind with no board, Reno will buy you two turns at most and you know when they have Reno in the deck.

Reno decks also don't run Alex.

Pooya

If your deck loses to health gain, it probably deserves to lose to health gain.

It's like people play something and expect to win every match up. if they don't draw Reno you still win anyway, it's the most baffling of complaints.

Molten giant, shadowflame into Reno is broken alright. That's on molten giant and you can still play around it so that it's impossible to pull off.

They are only nerfing classic cards, it will be out in a year if you hate it that much.

If there is a board, Reno doesn't do anything. Reno doesn't do anything against druid or rogue even. Face deck can't beat Reno? sure, that's the point of the card.
Reno lock even loses to freeze mage, you can force them into Reno then Alex.

I think the card needs something to change. Lower heal or higher cost. Lower stats wouldn't mean much.

It's because you haven't played a good freeze mage. It's not 1 turn the inevitable it's 1 turn where you die on the next. Fireball>Fireball>Frost Bolt = 15.

You know what set you to 15? Alexstraza. Fireball>Frostbolt>Ice Lance > Ice Lance = 17.

Two ice blocks = good night sweet prince.

ViviOggi

it's pretty fun when you get to play paladin, though

no idea why uldaman is a common too
It's really bland as fuck, a pathetic Uther party minigame of who draws more broken cards on a better curve. Paladin minimizes decision-making by design.

For me Rogue is fun in arena. Warrior and Warlock usually are, too. Hunter can be fun but on average doesn't go far, Druid is whatever, Mage is Mage and everything else is a pain in the ass to play.

Pooya

Savage Roar is going to change to like, your beasts have +2 attack or similar. They're not going to just up the mana cost, it's a problematic card.

They won't touch Force.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Life Tap will ALWAYS be the strongest hero power. More then any other class Warlock needs to be balanced around its hero power. I say they were given garbage for TGT but they could be given garbage and still be usable.

I have a feeling Fearsome Doomguard may actually be in meta with the next expansion. It has one of the best stat lines for 7 drop, can't be killed by BGH, and the Demon Tag could be worth something if the next expansion is tribal based.

Mulgrok

at 6-2 in arena I face a paladin who has argent lance, minibot, aldor, muster, keeper of uldaman, sludge belcher, truesilver, equality + consecrate, tyrion etc... how the hell did he lose any games?!

I have a feeling Fearsome Doomguard may actually be in meta with the next expansion. It has one of the best stat lines for 7 drop, can't be killed by BGH, and the Demon Tag could be worth something if the next expansion is tribal based.

It's possible but its a Boulderfist for 1 more with 1 more hp. Yes it has demon tag but that isn't worth much.

Dahbomb

No one gives a crap about a vanilla body past 4-5 mana. Otherwise people would run Kraken.

Especially now that Void Caller is gone. Good luck playing a 6/8 no effect body on turn 7 while your opponent just goes face instead.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
Savage Roar is going to change to like, your beasts have +2 attack or similar. They're not going to just up the mana cost, it's a problematic card.

They won't touch Force.

This is my expectation as well. Force is just a mediocre clearing spell in a world where Savage Roar doesn't exist. Making into a Beast buff card would be hilarious, but would then constrain the design for Druid beasts in the future. I bet they just change it to do something else entirely.

Mulgrok

You forget that voidcaller won't be available to summon doomguard for free.

Control Priest vs Murloc Paladin; finally figured out that to win you need to Entomb their Murlocs. Or if you run Thoughtsteal grab Anyfin Can Happen, but I am not running TS right now.

at 6-2 in arena I face a paladin who has argent lance, minibot, aldor, muster, keeper of uldaman, sludge belcher, truesilver, equality + consecrate, tyrion etc... how the hell did he lose any games?!
I had 2 Flamestrikes + 1 Blizzard in my arena deck earlier, but I died at 5 wins because none of them ever drew. :(

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Control Priest vs Murloc Paladin; finally figured out that to win you need to Entomb their Murlocs. Or if you run Thoughtsteal grab Anyfin Can Happen, but I am not running TS right now.

If the Pally is savvy to the matchup they'll only play warleader alongside stuff like pyro equality to kill it off, and the charge ones to suicide.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist

Entomb Warleader, and you cripple their first Anyfin. If they run two, you basically have lost if they were able to play all their Murlos and play both Anyfins.

with standard upcoming lets bid farewell to the cards that never got their chance to shine

rip fel cannon
rip murloc shaman
rip pirate rogue
rip gallywix
rip shadowbomber
rip metaltooth leaper
rip gnomish experimenter
rip hobgoblin
rip hemet

u will be missed

Dahbomb

with standard upcoming lets bid farewell to the cards that never got their chance to shine

rip fel cannon
rip murloc shaman
rip pirate rogue
rip gallywix
rip shadowbomber
rip metaltooth leaper
rip gnomish experimenter
rip hobgoblin
rip hemet

u will be missed
Most of these are awful cards that would never have gotten a chance to shine. Like who cares about Gnomish Experimenter.

rip fel cannon
rip murloc shaman
rip pirate rogue
rip gallywix
rip shadowbomber
rip metaltooth leaper
rip gnomish experimenter
rip hobgoblin
rip hemet

u will be missed

I've seen fel cannon I think in someone's renolock deck. I forgot who though

Dahbomb

hi.

cause theyre kinda interetsing cards???? mb
There are some interesting cards in that list for sure. Shadow Bomber and Hobgoblin are cards that could eventually have been cards in very specific decks if there were more cards.

However, cards like Gnomish Experimenter is like... what's the point of this card? Who would use this? It's just more random generator stuff in a game that already has too much of it.

I am so glad that stuff like Blingtron is removed. I was so glad no streamer though to bring it back when Cursed Blade was introduced. It would've been so silly to lose to getting your opponent to spawn a Cursed Blade while you get a big weapon.

Top Bottom