• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT5| Corrupted Deeprock Salt

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
something something created a strategy that something something fun or interactive

Speaking of Miracle Rogue, what if they make Auctioneer 5 mana again? Leeroy is still 5 mana and no more Spare Parts in Standard!

I'm so glad I got to the topof the page with a dumb post.

Doubt it. Recent Rogue decks have proven that Gadgetzan is just as viable without spare parts and Leeroy. Gadgetzan at 5 would make Malygos Rogue an absolute powerhouse, since you could develop a large hand, Thaurissan on 6, and win on 8 in magical dreamland. More realistically, you could develop a strong enough hand advantage from Turn 5/6 to carry you through any late game threats.

Unless you were joking. :p

I just lost to the most surprisingly ridiculous Mage in Arena.

Justicar Trueheart.
2 fallen heroes.
Coldarra drake.
2 polymorphs

I could do nothing. I've never lost like that. My board was decimated.

Apathy

Druids will still have soul..... of the forest because we're getting rid of force of nature and soul will be the only way to have treants. That's what he meant right?

Doubt it. Recent Rogue decks have proven that Gadgetzan is just as viable without spare parts and Leeroy. Gadgetzan at 5 would make Malygos Rogue an absolute powerhouse, since you could develop a large hand, Thaurissan on 6, and win on 8 in magical dreamland. More realistically, you could develop a strong enough hand advantage from Turn 5/6 to carry you through any late game threats.

Unless you were joking. :p

I usually am when it comes to dumb posts.

However, don't forget Thurissan is on the table to be cut too in an year, which could open up some more design space later on. The big thing is we need to see what Classic cards get changed along with the new set. Because with those we can see where they want to the game to go, which could change with each Standard time block too.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Some cards just have a shitty soul.

I'd love to see a rebalanced Boom that keeps the "soul" of massive swingy RNG in tact.

Owzers

I played Hearthstone one time today to finish off a Druid quest, each time i went to play a quick game afterwards i decided not to. I've watched a little on twitch....aggro shaman getting a rockbiter off with doomhammer followed by a damage spell for 15 burst turn six, zoo, secret paladin. Nerf everything.

Apathy

Really wish that Mill decks weren't a thing that they brought over from Magic. I don't mind if a game goes the full length of a game and you start taking damage then, but you shouldn't take damage from fatigue unless it's your turn. It's a terribly broken mechanic that you can't fight against on the board, you basically die to something you can't do much against.

jgminto

Really wish that Mill decks weren't a thing that they brought over from Magic. I don't mind if a game goes the full length of a game and you start taking damage then, but you shouldn't take damage from fatigue unless it's your turn. It's a terribly broken mechanic that you can't fight against on the board, you basically die to something you can't do much against.
I feel like keeping your draw low and putting on pressure is usually enough to beat mill decks. If you're doing enough damage, they usually can't remove everything and use their fatigue tools at the same time.

Apathy

I feel like keeping your draw low and putting on pressure is usually enough to beat mill decks. If you're doing enough damage, they usually can't remove everything and use their fatigue tools at the same time.

Ok, try dealing with this then,drop that stupid murloc that draws a card, gang up on it, shadow step it, then drop it again. Now, when you've dealt with that murloc, deal with it a second time. now, deal with it 6 more times + 2 vanish. Go ahead, see how low you can keep your hand or how fast you can spend your mana. Unless I ran only one and two mana costs, you're basically screwed. It's be easy to solve this (as it shouldn't exist) if one they let us hold more than 10 cards (they clearly don't want that, it's a game limitation) or two, only allow us to take damage from fatigue on our turn, instead of messing with a game mechanic that is outside the control of players.

If someone wants to force me to draw my hand fine, but don't also make me take extra damage from drawing once I'm out of cards unless it's on my turn.

Fireblend

Banned
Holy shit I did it.

H3hjWhu.jpg

That sweet cardback is miiiine! This was the first heroic I attempt to beat. Guess I should go back to Naxx and BRM and try to beat those as well, even though I don't like those cardbacks that much.

Also, that sweet irony of beating Rafaam with himself :)

Apathy

I just lost to the most surprisingly ridiculous Mage in Arena.

Justicar Trueheart.
2 fallen heroes.
Coldarra drake.
2 polymorphs

I could do nothing. I've never lost like that. My board was decimated.

did you go and try this out yourself? cause I just faced a guy trying to do the exact same thing to me and I destroyed him.

Edit: Also I hope dots become a bigger thing. That might be cool.

did you go and try this out yourself? cause I just faced a guy trying to do the exact same thing to me and I destroyed him.

Edit: Also I hope dots become a bigger thing. That might be cool.

It was Arena. Decidedly more powerful then in Constructed. I couldn't remove the Drake and just lost.

Ridli

So I decided to try out a Paletress/Shadowform deck, similar to what (Brian+Kibler)(Brian-Kibler) ran into a few weeks back - tournament medics, shadowform, entomb and whatnot. Pretty slow, but honestly like nothing I'd ever played in the past. I had mostly stuck to dragon/midrange-y priest previously. I was having fun, 'cause shadow form is neat, if a bit expensive to get out. Plus the tournament medic is always hilarious. And then I ran into my first Control Priest vs Control Warrior matchup.

Ho...
...ly...
...crap...

And then I queued into another control warrior... and then a third! The first two both went to fatigue. The third game the prior warrior recognized me and conceded from the start. Honestly, he only beat me to the concede button by a fraction of a second.

That is disgustingly boring matchup. I have a hard time believing that humans actually enjoy it. Aggro exists for a reason folks. Like a wildfire it must come through every so often and burn away the dead lifeless decks of our Hearthstone forest, lest full control encroaches and chokes away all the fun.

Dahbomb

All Control Priest vs Control Warrior match ups should go to fatigue. Same for the mirrors in those two.

It comes down to who uses removals/AOE more effeciently and which deck was greedier/built for fatigue. Priest has the edge because of double Entomb and double Thoughsteal if they run it. If one of them runs Elise that changes up the dynamic greatly.

Apathy

So I decided to try out a Paletress/Shadowform deck, similar to what (Brian+Kibler)(Brian-Kibler) ran into a few weeks back - tournament medics, shadowform, entomb and whatnot. Pretty slow, but honestly like nothing I'd ever played in the past. I had mostly stuck to dragon/midrange-y priest previously. I was having fun, 'cause shadow form is neat, if a bit expensive to get out. Plus the tournament medic is always hilarious. And then I ran into my first Control Priest vs Control Warrior matchup.

Ho...
...ly...
...crap...

And then I queued into another control warrior... and then a third! The first two both went to fatigue. The third game the prior warrior recognized me and conceded from the start. Honestly, he only beat me to the concede button by a fraction of a second.

That is disgustingly boring matchup. I have a hard time believing that humans actually enjoy it. Aggro exists for a reason folks. Like a wildfire it must come through every so often and burn away the dead lifeless decks of our Hearthstone forest, lest full control encroaches and chokes away all the fun.

I'd rather it be full control on control that it dilute to nothing but aggro on aggro. If the game plan is nothing but vomit all low cost minions and go face and hope he has no aoe and lets be done by turn 5, no thanks.

I like full control mirrors. It really feels like you have to edge out, play smart and use all your strengths.

Of course you don't really get shit for it (more EXP? LOL) and it would be nice if you did.

Ridli

All Control Priest vs Control Warrior match ups should go to fatigue. Same for the mirrors in those two.

It comes down to who uses removals/AOE more effeciently and which deck was greedier/built for fatigue. Priest has the edge because of double Entomb and double Thoughsteal if they run it. If one of them runs Elise that changes up the dynamic greatly.

Yeah, I believe it. What I was running was clearly not greedy enough. Entomb helped, but one of the warriors managed to get double emperor and double Malornes from his monkey after my entombs were gone. No way I outvalue that.

I'd rather it be full control on control that it dilute to nothing but aggro on aggro. If the game plan is nothing but vomit all low cost minions and go face and hope he has no aoe and lets be done by turn 5, no thanks.

You can have it. I choose to believe that a timeline exists where aggro can be sensibly teched against while appropriately weakening a deck to another archetype and the meta ebbs and flows organically.

Sheroking

Well, both aggro and control are taking massive hits with Standard mode.

There is a happy medium. Midrange Paladin, Dragon Priest, Ramp Druid (with a less powerful combo). If the new set introduces more good, but not OP cards (like all of the discover cards for example), we could get a meta that focuses more on minions and less on burn or removal.

Apathy

Well, both aggro and control are taking massive hits with Standard mode.

There is a happy medium. Midrange Paladin, Dragon Priest, Ramp Druid (with a less powerful combo). If the new set introduces more good, but not OP cards (like all of the discover cards for example), we could get a meta that focuses more on minions and less on burn or removal.

Oh I was speaking more in terms of if only the two extremes existed, not that I love control that much more than aggro

Pooya

Holy shit I did it.

That sweet cardback is miiiine! This was the first heroic I attempt to beat. Guess I should go back to Naxx and BRM and try to beat those as well, even though I don't like those cardbacks that much.

Also, that sweet irony of beating Rafaam with himself :)

Naxx card back is trash but BRM one is really good. BRM is the most difficult too I think. Still you can cheese the hard ones with Kel'Thuzad trick.

Tarazet

I like full control mirrors. It really feels like you have to edge out, play smart and use all your strengths.

Of course you don't really get shit for it (more EXP? LOL) and it would be nice if you did.

Before any of the expansions, I played Control Warrior with Cairne, Grom, Alexstrasza and Ragnaros. There were lots of hard-fought control matchups against Priests that went down to fatigue and were won or lost essentially with card trading. I usually lost that matchup, unfavorable as it was, and I raged about that at the time. That matchup was my achilles' heel, but those were the games that made me better and more consistent. I'm not as comfortable in the current meta; I should be back in my element in Standard.

z3phon

Could someone recommend some helpuful videos for a beginner. I've watched all the trump videos and they were really helpful but I'm still feeling overwhelmed with the game.

Apathy

Could someone recommend some helpuful videos for a beginner. I've watched all the trump videos and they were really helpful but I'm still feeling overwhelmed with the game.

what aspect is giving you the most trouble? like a class guide or a deck guide?

z3phon

what aspect is giving you the most trouble? like a class guide or a deck guide?
With my limited play time I feel like I have some what of a very basic understanding of classes (or atleast I know what stuff to read to get a better understanding of classes)
With decks I feel completely lost.

Fireblend

Banned
With my limited play time I feel like I have some what of a very basic understanding of classes (or atleast I know what stuff to read to get a better understanding of classes)

Have you watched Trump's series on classes and deck archetypes?

Both are pretty good, though from what you're saying the second one is what you're looking for. I'd still watch the first one though, is a great introduction to the basics of the game.

Started playing 5 weeks ago. Anyone wanna give me advice on my n00b deck?

http://www.hearthpwn.com/deckbuilde...37:1;12299:1;12302:2;14443:1;27228:1;27243:1;
Wow, you did drop a ton of money on this.

Edit: You might want to drop your second Imp-plosion so Reno Jackson works. ;-)

#1 tip as a fellow new player learning from mistakes: don't burn gold on arena, and don't burn dust on crafting, until you absolutely know what you are doing.

I just picked out a deck that I liked that didn't take a lot of dust to craft and focused on playing that, so now all I do is play tempo mage lol.

I'd play something else but that either requires me to craft more stuff or u have to play a non optimal deck, which I hate doing.

Pooya

Tempo mage is a good deck to start with as much as I hate playing it or against it. I played it a lot it myself last year. Since BRM it's been really strong. Before that it existed too but it was not very good without flamewakers. People were playing control mage before mech mage came around and freeze mage was always around.

Now in standard, tempo mage will be worse than pre-BRM and hopefully they won't print more non sense cards for it. really.

mech mage is dead, with duplicate and echo gone too, control mage decks are out too. So I'm interested to see what mage deck people will play in standard. If Alex get the nerf, freeze mage is out too.

The day TGT came out, I was laddering wiht my aggro paly and faced an inspire mage deck, yeah. It was really cool actually that I still remember it 8 months later. Got totally wrecked. Tournament medic, came down, I was like ahahah ok. I just go face anyway. Then later Justicar and Coldarra drake came down too and there was no stopping it. lol. I actually want to try it sometime that I have the cards now. Could be viable in standard.

Can we get standard already? Two months out, they announced this too early v_v

Shiver

mage will find a way. it's one of the most versatile classes. I do think tempo/midrange will still be played (and be viable), but we'll just have to see what the new expansion will bring.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Wow, you did drop a ton of money on this.

Edit: You might want to drop your second Imp-plosion so Reno Jackson works. ;-)

If I wanted it to be a legendary showoff deck I think I could put like 12 in there although I sadly didn't get any warlock specific legendaries. I'll just go F2P from now on since I don't trust any money that I give Blizzard to be a good investment (this was how I was phrasing it in my head) when imminent changes could come without warning. Oh well.

I originally had like 3 doubles in there and it wasn't working well. I pared it down to just implosion and Reno Jackson still works about 90+% of the time I get him. I just really like implosion, although yeah maybe implosion isn't a good enough card to justify the percentage time that Reno doesn't work for me.

accel

I am beginning to realize just how thoroughly screwed new players who dare going F2P are.

All I want is to do dailies so I have some gold for arenas (I need less than 50 per arena, but that's still not zero). It was going OK in the beginning, but either I was winning too much or something else happened, but now apparently my MMR in casual is such that I am getting drowned in Dr Booms and Malygoses, and have to lose like 3 games to get 1 win. Just to do a daily... Obviously, the winrate is supposed to be 50%, and, obviously, that might be RNG, but it feels wrong and it isn't fun in the least, it's just a boring waste of time.

I am on the verge of writing a bot that will just lose ten games in a row to drop the MMR to the point where it is less boring.

Top Bottom