• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT5| Corrupted Deeprock Salt

fertygo

I got burned out from arena as welĺ.. thinkinng I maý as welĺ saving for next expansion but its still 2 month away so wtf I should do.

Mad scientist honestly feels like cheating, 2/2 minion and mirror entity deathrattle for 2 mana. It's ridiculous how much mirror either handicaps your opponent's play or forces them to give you a big minion. Some guy just gave me Sludge Belcher, so nice!

It's like a mini Loatheb but for minions.

Edit: don't even get me started on the Esportal

Catvoca

Banned
Warrior is definitely better in arena post LOE. Managed to go 10 wins with one for the first time since like pre GvG. Hopefully the next expansion gives Paladin a bunch of shit cards to balance things out even further.

I accidentally played Antonidas instead of Flamestrike and completely ruined my game, should've seen my face when I realized what I had done. Was an easy win too :(

accel

I got burned out from arena as welĺ.. thinkinng I maý as welĺ saving for next expansion but its still 2 month away so wtf I should do.

The only thing that keeps me going lately is the 100 in 10 challenge. I thought it was just something people commonly did on streams, apparently nobody succeeded yet. There are a couple of rules, but nothing terribly crippling.

Haunted

I accidentally played Antonidas instead of Flamestrike and completely ruined my game, should've seen my face when I realized what I had done. Was an easy win too :(
Misclicks do happen easily, especially if you're impatient and don't wait until your hand has finished sorting after discards/draws.

Lost a game by playing Varian Wrynn instead of the removal I intended because another card got bounced back and messed up the ordering. :mad:

ViviOggi

Going 2-3 with a very solid draft because Shredder drops a fucking Sheep

Even Doomsayer was fine, Sheep was literally the only out

The fact that this piece of shit card will terrorize arena forever

Misclicks do happen easily, especially if you're impatient and don't wait until your hand has finished sorting after discards/draws.

Lost a game by playing Varian Wrynn instead of the removal I intended because another card got bounced back and messed up the ordering. :mad:

I don't even have that excuse, I think what fucked me up was that they're both 7 mana cards and they were right next to each other so I just didn't check. It was extra frustrating as I was choosing between gambling for lethal or playing it safe, choosing to go safe, and then throwing in the worst way possible.

It wasn't even a quick throw, I had to watch the momentum slowly swing his way while I'm way too tilted to even care. Gonna be extra careful for a while after that shit.

accel

A non-standard question, new player to veterans:

What keeps you playing this game?

I mean, seriously.

Is it deck building? Ie, you do your routine, then you get an interesting legendary and the bulb goes off - 'wait a second, let me build a deck around this!'?

Is it making a collection? Ie, you are playing, get a couple of packs, then open them breathing hard and the moment you see a card you don't have - yet alone a card that will help you play - you get a dose of dopamine?

Is it the social thing, tournaments, teams, whatever? Ie, if there is a tournament, you watch it with popcorn in one hand and a drink in the other, because it's just plain entertaining, and in between tournaments you are playing a bit yourself, sometimes trying to do what other guys doing, but not really caring much?

Is it something else? (Or is it just "nothing else to play" / "I am already invested through the roof so I will wait to see what they will do with the game"?)

(You can tell I am looking for an inspiration, somehow it all looks a bit boring and bleak and, frankly, hopeless to me right now, an endless treadmill with tons of random that makes wins mean little and losses irritating, lots of mundane games which are a repeat of each other... but I think it is a worthwhile question to ask.)

Fireblend

Banned
I just like how easy it is to play and how quickly the games go by. I've always wanted to play a CCG (I played a bit of Magic and Pokemon during highschool), and Hearthstone is both simple and affordable enough for me to be able to keep coming back. I also find myself thinking how good the art style is frequently, I find the design is very coherent and appealing in general. And I have fun, the beginning was a bit of a grind, but now that I have a deck with which I feel I win about half the time, loses don't really bother me and I have fun with it when it works.

If you don't find yourself getting any enjoyment from it then you should stop playing though, maybe take a break and play some other stuff. I stopped playing almost entirely during December, and coming back it felt fresher than it did when I decided to take a break. It's just a game. You'll miss out on some virtual currency and cards, no big deal. And I'm hoping for Standard to interrupt that deck stagnation you're talking about, I agree it's a big problem.

accel

^^ Maybe that's the ticket, maybe instead of concentrating solely on arenas and using constructed just to do dailies (which gets ugly), I should switch gears a bit and compose a semi-viable cheap deck for constructed. Just for a change of pace. Couldn't hurt trying...

gutshot

I think I mostly like the collection aspect of it. Working towards a complete collection is my main goal (although with GvG packs going away now and TGT going away next year, I'm not sure I'll ever get there).

I also like trying to build and play new or novel decks. I had a lot of fun with Egg Druid, for example. The process of building and refining completely new decks is most relevant around when a new expansion releases, so I look forward to those times the most. During times like now, when all the best decks have already been discovered and the meta is very stale, I only play a few games a day, just enough to complete my quests. I think that helps to keep me from getting too burned out on the game.

Celegus

I really only play enough to clear my daily quests, usually in the morning while I eat my cereal. Perfect game for that. I love the presentation of everything, trying out silly cards, and just embracing the RNG. I couldn't imagine playing for hours or getting competitive or watching streamers or any of that kind of stuff. I'm somewhere around 1200 wins, playing since beta.

Why do I constantly lose when I play late at night, but do well during the day?
Night players are generally better. In the day, people play on a lunch break or during free time at school, so your general competition is less.

I almost lost a game because my mouse is broken and double clicks when I single click ~50% of the time. I had a Worgen with Windfury, and I clicked on a minion to kill it. Then the Worgen automatically attacked the next creature over, killing the Worgen instead of attacking Face like I intended to. -_-

^^ Maybe that's the ticket, maybe instead of concentrating solely on arenas and using constructed just to do dailies (which gets ugly), I should switch gears a bit and compose a semi-viable cheap deck for constructed. Just for a change of pace. Couldn't hurt trying...
There is no game or hobby in the world that stays enjoyable when you play it too much. Take a break or add more variety.

accel

There is no game or hobby in the world that stays enjoyable when you play it too much. Take a break or add more variety.

Yeah, I get it. Current plan:

1. Take a break.
2. Make a zoo / face whatever that would be more than a throwaway deck for dailies.
3. Keep pushing arenas with 100 in 10 as a distant goal.

(Expect lots of salt from 2 and 3. And thanks, it's great that we have this forum to vent on.)

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act

On my personal case:
- I like making themed decks (Even i get rekt)
- Dont care about Paladinstone so i play Casual where you can find different types of decks
- I like the competitive scene and personalities
- But most important of all: I enjoy the core gameplay

But i feel yah, Ranked right now is kinda boring if you dont want to play Paladin lol

IceMarker

I hope we get to see the new cards for the Spring Expansion™ soon. I'd like to see how they're going to replace Loatheb, Deathlord, Death's Bite, Lightbomb, etc.

Fireblend

Banned
I really appreciate people playing weird decks on ladder. I just played a deathrattle Rogue that had some cool synergies and I think the guy played it pretty well, but after he popped my duplicate by killing my flamewaker, played Dr. Boom when mirror entity was up and I got lucky and got a frost nova exactly when I needed it (off an Ethereal Conjurer too), the game was over :( I hate to think the guy went immediately back to his/her secret paladin deck >_<

Edit: I wonder if Blizzard really is thinking of making "replacement" cards for the biggest ones lost in the rotation. That would make Reno decks super good on Wild mode. Everyone will add Belcher and Belcher's replacement, etc...

I really appreciate people playing weird decks on ladder. I just played a deathrattle Rogue that had some cool synergies and I think the guy played it pretty well, but after he popped my duplicate by killing my flamewaker, played Dr. Boom when mirror entity was up and I got lucky and got a frost nova exactly when I needed it (off an Ethereal Conjurer too), the game was over :( I hate to think the guy went immediately back to his/her secret paladin deck >_<

Edit: I wonder if Blizzard really is thinking of making "replacement" cards for the biggest ones lost in the rotation. That would make Reno decks super good on Wild mode. Everyone will add Belcher and Belcher's replacement, etc...
I think some cards will get replacements, but others will become permanent Classic cards, thus resolving the issue in another manner.

IceMarker

I'd really like to see a card in the next expansion that has an Inspire effect that draws or Discovers cards, like this:

3Rf4TZs.jpg

Pooya

what is this warlock deck that starts like zoo, but then it plays twilight drake, emperor and other stuff. They have freaking hell fire in this. It's a deck that run flame imp, creepers, eggs etc. It's just like zoo but with dark bomb!

I really can't tell anymore what to expect when I get a warlock opponent. The class has just so much advantage over everyone else.

Ridli

Started playing 5 weeks ago. Anyone wanna give me advice on my n00b deck?

http://www.hearthpwn.com/deckbuilde...37:1;12299:1;12302:2;14443:1;27228:1;27243:1;

I don't know what your collection is like, but this Reno deck seems thin on late game threats. Only a single Molten and Boom. Renolock works great when you survive long enough to pull out a lot of super high value cards like Lord J. Looks like you have Naxx, so if you don't have Jaraxxus, try running Feugen and Stalagg. Both usually require a response by your opponent and the threat of Thaddius is important. Even if you don't have fancy legendaries stuff from adventures like Nefarian, KT, Chromag, and Rafaam can work.

Alternatively you can try a combo like POwer Overwhelming, Arcane golem, faceless.

Edit: made up a card that doesn't exist.

Xanathus

what is this warlock deck that starts like zoo, but then it plays twilight drake, emperor and other stuff. They have freaking hell fire in this. It's a deck that run flame imp, creepers, eggs etc. It's just like zoo but with dark bomb!

I really can't tell anymore what to expect when I get a warlock opponent. The class has just so much advantage over everyone else.

It's probably a Reno Warlock deck.

I agree. I played a mage last night that ran oasis snapjaw x2 and had them both duplicated. By turn 8 the board was filled with them and there was nothing I could do except GG.

Portugeezer

That merely might pull a beast that also has Discover, what I propose will guarantee it (I am not really suggesting they do it, it was just an example of recursion that might seem fun).

1 card essentially becoming 3 cards is a lot of value. But there are worse things in the game already.

Intrigue

Banned

I mean, seriously.

Is it deck building? Ie, you do your routine, then you get an interesting legendary and the bulb goes off - 'wait a second, let me build a deck around this!'?

Is it making a collection? Ie, you are playing, get a couple of packs, then open them breathing hard and the moment you see a card you don't have - yet alone a card that will help you play - you get a dose of dopamine?

Is it the social thing, tournaments, teams, whatever? Ie, if there is a tournament, you watch it with popcorn in one hand and a drink in the other, because it's just plain entertaining, and in between tournaments you are playing a bit yourself, sometimes trying to do what other guys doing, but not really caring much?

Is it something else? (Or is it just "nothing else to play" / "I am already invested through the roof so I will wait to see what they will do with the game"?)

(You can tell I am looking for an inspiration, somehow it all looks a bit boring and bleak and, frankly, hopeless to me right now, an endless treadmill with tons of random that makes wins mean little and losses irritating, lots of mundane games which are a repeat of each other... but I think it is a worthwhile question to ask.)

Same reason people play CoD or anything else similar.

I made a card like this a long time ago, but I've re-adjusted it a bit now:

00d7e0e5.png

Yeah, three totems means it could be any random totem including Totem Golems. But fuck it. Shaman is so awful that even if this is under-costed by 1 (or 2?) mana, it still wouldn't make them a powerhouse class on its own. It just seems like totems as a tribe are generally awful, in the same way Secrets used to be awful or Light's Justice used to be awful, but these old, awful things were revived through new cards (Muster for Battle, Mad Scientist, Mysterious Challenger, etc).

This is the type of things Shaman needs in future sets if Totems will ever be useful. They tried to do this a bit with TGT but those attempts were generally awful.

ViviOggi

Card is pretty busted but only outrageously op when it summons Totem Golems on battlecry.

They'll probably make it an epic and give it to Paladin.

Intrigue

Banned
Yeah that's fine, that's Mysterious Challenger-ish for a class that actually needs a strong card.

Maybe to add another type of shaman deck, but they got a very competitive deck to get to legend at the moment as well, not to mention then barely lose any cards from their deck when standard comes into play.

Top Bottom