• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT5| Corrupted Deeprock Salt

I hated this brawl at first but now I kind of like it. Just wish it was a little faster.

I hate it. The only thing I ever draw is Chickens and Coins with the occasional Spare Part. I managed to win against a Paladin when I picked a turn 1 Murloc Tinyfin and drew it along with Chickens literally every turn. I also picked up a Tournament Attendee and drew it about half the time. I spammed so many 1 drop minions that the guy didn't have a chance.

rando14

Brawl this week is decent, but yeah it takes WAY too long

I did have a sweet comeback down 30 health to 2 though, that was pretty dope. Other guy musta been furious

Apathy

Brawl this week is decent, but yeah it takes WAY too long

I did have a sweet comeback down 30 health to 2 though, that was pretty dope. Other guy musta been furious

It's longer mostly how confusing the mechanics are for people. Took me a while to wrap my head around it.

People in the lower ranks really like to play out games until the last possible moment. I just finished a game in which I had 30 HP 51 armor and the opponent used two Renos.

peakish

I had no idea what was going on in that brawl, hah. Managed to control priest my way to a victory with three inspire minions, getting the hell out of there now.

Pooya

holy shit at this secret paly mirror, sjow vs strifecro. The most disgusting esport DansGame match ever, for both sides. KJ rng, top deck, secret rng, so much garbage in one match. And the game is decided in the end by KJ lethal, lolol.

Xanathus

Y'know, Dark Iron Skulker might be a staple in all non-aggro Rogue decks in Standard with all these sticky deathrattle minions gone.

Apathy

A 1-in-7 ping to the face by Flame Juggler for exact lethal.

She was probably dead anyway though unless she drew into a heal or taunt; I think she had a 3 in 17 chance to draw into one of those.

She still had 1 heal and 1 taunt. It look dire either way, but its sad to see flame juggler rng be the thing that got her.

Y'know, Dark Iron Skulker might be a staple in all non-aggro Rogue decks in Standard with all these sticky deathrattle minions gone.

I forgot which steamer said it, but they mentioned how having a board clear attached to a decent body makes for a really strong card. It makes sense since most other clears are just spells that take up your entire turn delaying the inevitable.

Maybe we'll see more cards / minions like it in the future.

Xanathus

I forgot which steamer said it, but they mentioned how having a board clear attached to a decent body makes for a really strong card. It makes sense since most other clears are just spells that take up your entire turn delaying the inevitable.

Maybe we'll see more cards / minions like it in the future.

The problem though is that the 4/3 body is equivalent to a 4 mana minion with an effect, so at 5 mana you're paying ~1.5 mana for a situational board clear.

if bgh is changed, Baron Geddon gets a lot better too for control decks.

Eh the reason Geddon is out of meta isn't because of BGH. If anything people try not to use BGH on Geddon because there are so many better targets in a Control Warrior deck and 5 hp is easy to kill at 7 mana+.

FeD.nL

I'm interested in how the legendary designs are going to be moving forward. LoE has some great neutral legendaries that make for some fun and competitive decks, but those are somewhat less friendly towards new players. What Dr. Boom did accomplish was having a legendary that new players could work towards and would fit in nearly any deck.

I wonder if we're going to see another neutral legendary on the power level of Boom just for the sake of having a goal to work towards for the stream of new players (perhaps with less RNG).

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Activision said:
On November 6, 2015, Blizzard Entertainment revealed that Hearthstone®: Heroes of Warcraft™ had surpassed the 40 million-registered-player milestone. On November 12, 2015, Blizzard launched The League of Explorers™, the third adventure for the franchise, with 45 new cards. This Adventure sold over 20% more units as of the first 6 weeks after launch than the prior Adventure in the same time frame. As a result of this new content, and continued strength across platforms and geographies, Hearthstone hit all-time franchise highs in multiple categories, including MAUsA, at the end of Q4.
Source: http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20160211006451/en

I think GvG was the worst one. I mean, the jousting one was pretty terrible too, but at least it didn't ruin the game with RNG heavy and gamebreaking must-have-in-EVERY-deck cards.

Raxus

It really helps they introduced a bunch of great cards and discover as well after the awful joust and inspire from TGT died out.

Tarazet

Lifecoach will find a way. He perfected the Miracle list, he'll find the way to make it shine again. I've been playing his Slow Miracle and it has been growing on me. It can still do some stupid things.

I had a shaman in brawl build a dragon deck somehow. He had technicians, corruptors, ysera, guardians, and ragnaros and he still lost. Dr. Boom and spellslinger into cone of cold too strong

I think Shaman need a card that is "Costs (X) fewer mana where (X) is your number of overloaded crystals." Something that can make Overloaded crystals not always awful.

Dahbomb

It really helps they introduced a bunch of great cards and discover as well after the awful joust and inspire from TGT died out.
Some of those Inspire cards might get used again. Even Joust cards like Tuskar Jouster might see some love if we don't get a godly neutral heal like Healbot.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
I think Shaman need a card that is "Costs (X) fewer mana where (X) is your number of overloaded crystals." Something that can make Overloaded crystals not always awful.

We already have like three cards in the game that can take advantage of overloaded Crystals. Overload Synergy is not the problem here.

As much as people complain about overload at least it isn't as bad of a mechanic as combo.

We already have like three cards in the game that can take advantage of overloaded Crystals. Overload Synergy is not the problem here.

As much as people complain about overload at least it isn't as bad of a mechanic as combo.

The cards that take advantage of overload are only advantageous on the same turn you overload: the cards basically have to be in play to be useful. I'm talking about something like this:

3 mana 3/4. Taunt. Costs 1 fewer mana for each Overloaded crystal.

Basically, this would make a solid drop on Turn 3 if you're already overloaded 1 from the previous turn. Maybe cap it so it can't cost fewer than 1 mana crystal or something

The cards that take advantage of overload are only advantageous on the same turn you overload: the cards basically have to be in play to be useful. I'm talking about something like this:

Basically, this would make a solid drop on Turn 3 if you're already overloaded 1 from the previous turn.

Thats just a worse fierce monkey because it requires you to play Shaman.

Mulgrok

My new paladin cancer deck that doesn't have nax or gvg cards

4anQQMM.png

EDIT: Just had a control warrior rage quit when I buffed a recruit up to 13 attack to kill his ysera AND divine favored to refill my hand in the same turn.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
this tavern brawl is torture, just don't like how you can get a card and you have the potential to get it forever.

Basically, this would make a solid drop on Turn 3 if you're already overloaded 1 from the previous turn. Maybe cap it so it can't cost fewer than 1 mana crystal or something

It's definitely a better idea than what they're doing now with overload.

Honestly I just want them to stop giving Shaman overload cards that are nothing but piles of stats, unreliable board clears or cards similar to ones from other classes that cost less (Ancestral Knowledge/Arcane Intellect, Lava Burst/Fireball).

Once Blizzard starts getting around to that then maybe Shaman will have something going for it.

You have to understand that my point was the mechanic discussion, not a specific card example, right?

Oh, sure. It's just that overload is still a poor mechanic and the only way anyone has ever made it work was by using a super Mana Wyrm and cramming every spell into the deck while praying for good draws.

ZealousD

Holy hell what is everybody's fascination with printing blatantly overpowered cards as a means to "fix" a class?

Just print more overload cards like Totem Golem and Fireguard Destroyer and less overload cards like Ancestral Knowledge, Stormforged Axe, Forked Lightning, and Lightning Storm. Overload should be a means to borrow mana from later turns in order to get a temporary leg up in tempo, not something you just arbitrary add to a card to reduce the cost in order to charge interest on later.

It's definitely a better idea than what they're doing now with overload.

Honestly I just want them to stop giving Shaman overload cards that are nothing but piles of stats, unreliable board clears or cards similar to ones from other classes that cost less (Ancestral Knowledge/Arcane Intellect, Lava Burst/Fireball).

Once Blizzard starts getting around to that then maybe Shaman will have something going for it.

Yeah, that's the thing too, the cards are generally just worse versions of other class cards. It seems like Blizzard thinks throwing the word "Overlord" on a card somehow makes it unique or fun. That's a whole other issue though.

Oh, sure. It's just that overload is still a poor mechanic and the only way anyone has ever made it work was by using a super Mana Wyrm and cramming every spell into the deck while praying for good draws.

Yeah, Overload is a stupid mechanic. Blizzard is unlikely to get rid of it though, so I think the best option is finding ways to circumvent (at least sometimes) the major drawbacks of Overlord. Hence my card concept suggestion.

ZealousD

Overload isn't a stupid mechanic, Blizzard just doesn't know how to balance for it. That's why they've been forced to print dumb cards like Lava Shock and Tunnel Trogg.

I'll keep saying it, I think Combo is actually a far more problematic mechanic than Overload right now.

Holy hell what is everybody's fascination with printing blatantly overpowered cards as a means to "fix" a class?

Just print more overload cards like Totem Golem and Fireguard Destroyer and less overload cards like Ancestral Knowledge, Stormforged Axe, Forked Lightning, and Lightning Storm. Overload should be a means to borrow mana from later turns in order to get a temporary leg up in tempo, not something you just arbitrary add to a card to reduce the cost in order to charge interest on later.

Sorry, you may have missed my previous post which was stating this was just a random example. You also missed the part where I suggested capping the mana discount.

My post was to discuss the idea of adding a mechanic to some Shaman cards causing them to be cheaper if you have Overloaded crystals, not to argue an arbitrary card I threw out just to get the concept going.

I just wish Overload was a choice like Druid cards.

For example, for Lightning Bolt could be;

1 Mana > Deal 2 damage. Overload 1, deal 3 instead.

That way you knew what was going to happen and you don't lose out the next turn if you don't have to. However, I've mentioned before that it would be too similar to Druid's class defining mechanic, Choose One.

Dahbomb

Cards like Totem Golem are going to be much better in the new format with stuff like Minibot gone. Maybe if they nerf BGH then Earth Elemental can be made playable.

Some overload cards are just bad though. And some despite being weak on paper like Lava Burst are still annoying to deal with. It's not a mechanics problem it's on a card to card basis issue.

Yeah the 2 and 4 drop game are about to shift hard with Shielded Minibot, Haunted Creeper and Piloted Shredder out of business. I'm just glad Minibot is gone, that thing would trade favorably with every other two drop, even Totem Golem and Wyrmrest Agent.

Top Bottom