• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT5| Corrupted Deeprock Salt

jgminto

Opened an Eydis Darkbane yesterday and was thinking of dusting it but it might actually be pretty useful to fill the 3 Drop hole in Priest/Paladin for Standard.

Dahbomb

The Firewaker isn't too different. If you drop a secret that produces a 3/4 or stronger, like Duplicate, then you're basically getting 2 damage + the same creature value in the Knife Juggler scenario. I think they are roughly equivalent in power, personally.
Man you keep changing parameters for comparing Flamewaker to Knife Juggler. Now you want to bring up secrets?

First of all secrets can be played around and have to be played for 3 mana in Mages. A lot of Tempo Mages don't actually run Duplicate because it's anti tempo. Duplicate has 0 tempo even when it activates. That's a 5 mana play there.

However, if you play Knife Juggler with Snake Trap in Midrange, that's a 4 mana play that develops 3 1/1s and procs Juggler three times. More procs, less mana, way more tempo.

Also maybe you should try playing Druid against Zoolock or Secret Paladin to see how it is. The choose mechanic and ramp mechanic takes some judgments from the player, a bad usage of a Keeper of Grove can cost you the game. Plus sometimes you have to use Force of Nature to clead, sometimes youbhave to use Keeper or Lore to heal. When and what to use Innervate on. Save Wild Growth for draw or to ramp up to 9 fasted. Plus with Druid you aren't actually stalling you are fighting for board control and playing the control game against other aggro decks. It's hard to win with Druid if you just go face all game and have no board control.

Not to say the deck is hard to pilot but it's harder than both Zoo and Secret Paladin.

Man you keep changing parameters for comparing Flamewaker to Knife Juggler. Now you want to bring up secrets?

First of all secrets can be played around and have to be played for 3 mana in Mages. A lot of Tempo Mages don't actually run Duplicate because it's anti tempo. Duplicate has 0 tempo even when it activates. That's a 5 mana play there.

However, if you play Knife Juggler with Snake Trap in Midrange, that's a 4 mana play that develops 3 1/1s and procs Juggler three times. More procs, less mana, way more tempo.

Also maybe you should try playing Druid against Zoolock or Secret Paladin to see how it is. The choose mechanic and ramp mechanic takes some judgments from the player, a bad usage of a Keeper of Grove can cost you the game. Plus sometimes you have to use Force of Nature to clead, sometimes youbhave to use Keeper or Lore to heal. When and what to use Innervate on. Save Wild Growth for draw or to ramp up to 9 fasted. Plus with Druid you aren't actually stalling you are fighting for board control and playing the control game against other aggro decks. It's hard to win with Druid if you just go face all game and have no board control.

Not to say the deck is hard to pilot but it's harder than both Zoo and Secret Paladin.

I agree regarding Druid. You still have to fight for board control to set up the combo.

Opened an Eydis Darkbane yesterday and was thinking of dusting it but it might actually be pretty useful to fill the 3 Drop hole in Priest/Paladin for Standard.
I really like that card actually, I was wondering how it'd do in mech decks(spare parts) but it's a bit late to give that a try now.

ViviOggi

Yeah Druid is slightly harder on average I'd say (still super babby mode obviously), except for those hyper BrokeBack hands you can get. Zoo gets bullshit hands as well but curve cheat just beats the god curve.

If knife juggler wasn't a neutral card, it would probably be a bit more accepted.

Reynad said he'd like to see it become 2/2 that pings face only. I think that makes a lot of sense. It gets rid of the great stats and gets rid of the RNG. It would still be use-able in face decks too, I think. IDC if it is usable afterwards or not. I'd rather see it really niche or unusable than continue to be prevalent in standard forever.

Dahbomb

If knife juggler wasn't a neutral card, it would probably be a bit more accepted.

Reynad said he'd like to see it become 2/2 that pings face only. I think that makes a lot of sense. It gets rid of the great stats and gets rid of the RNG. It would still be use-able in face decks too, I think. IDC if it is usable afterwards or not. I'd rather see it really niche or unusable than continue to be prevalent in standard forever.
Depends on which class. But yeah then it would be more fair.

Flamewaker in a Rogue deck?

lBO6N1l.gif

I burgled my way into this situation earlier today, and it was awesome

fertygo

Hunter need more viable drawing method, its really hard to get optimal value from Buzzard, the nerf is too hard
7 mana for draw 1 card is the most often situation that you gonna get from the card, and its rubbish.

I keep play it as one-off because I don't have another option.

Dahbomb

No good draw options, one dimensional hero power and no good defensive cards is why Hunter struggles to find a control shell. They have some amazing cards to play a control game like Powershot and Dreadscale but they run out of steam really quickly when trying to control the board.

Hunter need more viable drawing method, its really hard to get optimal value from Buzzard, the nerf is too hard
7 mana for draw 1 card is the most often situation that you gonna get from the card, and its rubbish.

I started playing this game after the card got nerfed, and I could still tell that it probably got nerfed at some point based only on how terrible the card seemed. It's bad that I can tell that, same deal with Warsong Commander, if I can tell that a card got nerfed based on how awful it is that's a telling sign that the nerfing is out of control.

Standard can't come soon enough. Without Naxx I feel like I'm getting wrecked more often than I would be with it, which is still a lot.

There was an extremely accurate post earlier about the difference in games once you break rank 20. Getting absolutely destroyed around rank 17 now during my first encounters with freeze mages and facehunters.

I rarely play ranked because as of yet I still haven't decided on a deck with any sort of synergy. I've hoarded up 900 dust since I started playing and haven't crafted a single card.

Anyway, I've gotten 2 legendaries from packs since I started, Rhonin and Illidan. Is the latter as bad as I'm led to believe from searching random posts on forums?

Aren't Secrets considered spells for Flamewaker? That's why I brought them up. If they aren't, then I can see why it would seem like I'm changing the standard. Otherwise, it seems like the clear next step in the discussion.

Dahbomb

Aren't Secrets considered spells for Flamewaker? That's why I brought them up. If they aren't, then I can see why it would seem like I'm changing the standard. Otherwise, it seems like the clear next step in the discussion.
They are spells but you were talking about minion tempo and used an example of getting a 3/4 from Duplicate which isn't tempo. You get the card in hand, not on board. You can play Mirror Entity instead for more tempo but that can be played around too.

In addition, as far as Mages go they play Secrets from Mad Scientist so they don't get off the procs when that happens. That's why people don't spend 6 mana to play Flamewaker then a Secret unless they have no other play.

And even in that situation, Knife Juggler plus Snake Trap is only 4 mana and develops 3 additional bodies on the board plus gets more procs. And unlike Flame Waker, you get the benefit even if Mad Scientist pulled the secret making it even more efficient. But all of these examples can be played around as they involve secrets hence why it wasn't brought up.

Portugeezer

Yeah the card draw is terrible on Hunter. At best, you can combo it with Unleash for 8 mana, which is kind of like a poor-mans sprint even if they have 4 minions, but then you probably end up trading your minions, so Buzzard is a worse Cult Master in that regard, and even has worse stats.

If the stats were a bit better, maybe it would be more viable, but even then you would never play it naked.

fertygo

Yeah the card draw is terrible on Hunter. At best, you can combo it with Unleash for 8 mana, which is kind of like a poor-mans sprint even if they have 4 minions, but then you probably end up trading your minions, so Buzzard is a worse Cult Master in that regard, and even has worse stats.

If the stats were a bit better, maybe it would be more viable, but even then you would never play it naked.

Another good situation is when you summon it when you can trade with Savannah Highmane, but that also situational as shit

Blizzard pls

Xanathus

I know Abusive Sergeant isn't going to get nerfed but I still think it'd be cool just so Lance Carrier could actually see play.

Lance Carrier may see play in Standard with Nerubian Egg and Haunted Creeper gone, because now you want your minions to survive like in pre-Naxx Zoo with Dark Iron Dwarf. I can see Shieldbearer, Shattered Sun Cleric and Young Priestess coming back.

I've seen lance bearer get some play. Usually in face decks. It forces your opponent to deal with the threat that they may have had a previously good trade with before the buff. If you used an abusive sergeant, you might have traded, but with lance bearer you don't and force them to deal with it. It's actually not bad tbh. But with better 2 drops, you won't run lance bearer imo. Knife juggler... mad scientist...

I've seen lance bearer get some play. Usually in face decks. It forces your opponent to deal with the threat that they may have had a previously good trade with before the buff. If you used an abusive sergeant, you might have traded, but with lance bearer you don't and force them to deal with it. It's actually not bad tbh. But with better 2 drops, you won't run lance bearer imo. Knife juggler... mad scientist...
I can see it having value in a deck that has a lot of Divine Shield, since you're guaranteed to get 2 turns of use out of it vs. Abusive's 1.

Eddie Bax

Ugh, I thought I'd take a break tonight with some arena after dealing with too much bullshit on ladder, then ended up back-to-backing a Mage with at least 3 Flamestrikes and 3 Sludge Belchers into a Paladin with 2 MCs who got pretty much the full Christmas tree both times.

This game, sometimes...

EDIT: And in a second run, a mill Rogue followed by the stereotypical aggro Shaman. What. The. Fuck.

with the talk of cool cards, i'd like to see some more Holy Champions.

Definitely. There are a lot of TGT cards that couldn't measure up to Naxx/GvG stuff so I'm very curious to see how many TGT cards find a new home in Standard.

Also makes me even more excited to see the new expansion because TGT and LoE were pretty damn good sets design wise, even if TGT was a bit underwhelming in terms of the power levels of the cards. Mysterious Challenger not withstanding of course.

Apathy

I know people dislike Amaz, but I find him more fun to watch than Kripp. I like Kripp's youtube stuff, but his twitch stream is annoys me to no end only because he thinks everyone that beats him is a noob/cheater/lucky and that he should have won everything. Like sure he might get sniped from time to time but it's not always (and come on, being sniped on his first or second match, that realistically is hard to do).

Dahbomb

Lance Carrier may see play in Standard with Nerubian Egg and Haunted Creeper gone, because now you want your minions to survive like in pre-Naxx Zoo with Dark Iron Dwarf. I can see Shieldbearer, Shattered Sun Cleric and Young Priestess coming back.
The issue here is what are you going to use those buffs on?

Are we going to go all the way back to the days of using Argent Squires and Scarlet Crusaders?

ViviOggi

I know people dislike Amaz, but I find him more fun to watch than Kripp. I like Kripp's youtube stuff, but his twitch stream is annoys me to no end only because he thinks everyone that beats him is a noob/cheater/lucky and that he should have won everything. Like sure he might get sniped from time to time but it's not always (and come on, being sniped on his first or second match, that realistically is hard to do).
He definitely gets sniped like crazy, you can see it from the opponent's plays most of the time. At low wins people can still pull up the stream upon seeing his name.

But yeah a certain salt level is part of his shtick.

Apathy

He definitely gets sniped like crazy, you can see it from the opponent's plays most of the time. At low wins people can still pull up the stream upon seeing his name.

But yeah a certain salt level is part of his shtick.

With as many players that play this game, even casually, the number of people that will see his name, then actively go and find his stream at low wins in arenas can't be that big (just as an anecdote, I don't even look at my opponents name when I play, it just doesn't matter to me).

I will admit, the higher his wins, it's more likely that he is going to get sniped and that people are waiting for him. And yeah, the saltiness has to be part of it, cause on his youtube videos (at least the intros), he comes off as a completely different person.

Kripp often calls stream snipers when it isn't even likely. It is just as likely that his opponent is making a misplay that happens to be a better play than the one they should have made. Plus he just is making excuses for his loss. He isn't alone, I don't mean to act like he is a unique case in any shape.

Xanathus

The issue here is what are you going to use those buffs on?

Are we going to go all the way back to the days of using Argent Squires and Scarlet Crusaders?

If those are the strongest/stickiest drops at that mana, yes. Zoolock will definitely still be playing Imp Gang Boss, and other replacements would be Dragon Egg, Silent Knight, and I'd seriously consider Wrathguard.

Dragner

Most streamers are sniped. All the time. Only a few like Kripp or Forsen complain (Forsen does it more for the meme fiesta anyway).

Tarazet

I don't understand how Dragon Reno Secret Paladin works so well. It feels every bit as dirty as the full-boat Christmas Tree list, but it is much more ridiculous, in a good way. Dragon Consort is an amazing card, and I'm sure she will find a place in the new meta until the BRM cards cycle through.

So you want to see a directly inferior card see play? Why?

Lance Carrier's stats are horrific, but he confers a permanent buff, where Abusive Sergeant's is only temporary. So he's not strictly inferior, but Abusive Sergeant is playable naked on turn 1. Lance Carrier is useless.

Sniping is really common in Arena runs once you get up beyond 6-8 wins, since the number of potential opponents is pretty small and it's often not just one person trying to snipe you if you're playing with no delay. I've seen Hafu and Adwcta sniped many, many times (and often told about it by the sniper afterward - indeed I even remember once the sniper conceded the game right before lethal on Hafu's stream).

danowat

Banned
For a new player, whats the best card packs to buy?

I know that cards from the GvG packs won't be able to be used in the new standard game, but is it best to buy packs from Classic or TGT?

Top Bottom