• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT5| Corrupted Deeprock Salt

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Discover could've been a really good mechanic if it chose from your own cards. There would've been a lot of deck building considerations to factor in there, and the balance between getting your cards faster/decreasing your deck size might've led to some interesting gameplay if they also slowed down the meta.

Of course it doesn't work like that. No, it has to be Unstable Portal 1 out of 3.

Jesus fucking christ.

gutshot

Discover could've been a really good mechanic if it chose from your own cards. There would've been a lot of deck building considerations to factor in there, and the balance between getting your cards faster/decreasing your deck size might've led to some interesting gameplay if they also slowed down the meta.

Of course it doesn't work like that. No, it has to be Unstable Portal 1 out of 3.

Jesus fucking christ.

Yeah. When I first read the mechanic lets you "search for just the right card" I thought this could be the answer to the aggro meta, allowing control decks to find that board wipe they need to stabilize. But nope, it's just an RNG slot machine. Thanks Blizz!

Haly

I mean I know why they did this.

Blah blah blah simplicity blah blah design space blah blah, but they can just use these excuses to hand wave every decision under the sun until every card becomes maximum digital athletics.
It would probably be too good if it checked from your own deck.

It would need to balanced carefully, for sure, but this is just haphazard design.

"We don't need to think about the ramifications of this card and future cards because the variation is so high that it all evens out in the end."

gutshot

It would probably be too good if it checked from your own deck.

It would just be Tracking at that point, which obviously would severely devalue Tracking. But had the mechanic worked differently, it could have been a way for control decks to reliably find answers in their decks to certain situations.

I dunno why Blizzard is under the impression that people love RNG so much. Maybe they really like Trolden videos and keep doing this shit so they can be put in clip reels

It would just be Tracking at that point, which obviously would severely devalue Tracking. But had the mechanic worked differently, it could have been a way for control decks to reliably find answers in their decks to certain situations.

Remove Tracking from the game then? No one runs it.

It should only trigger once. I don't know if it would hit deathrattle summons or if they'd spawn after the second battlecry attempts to trigger, though.

This is Hearthstone. For some deathrattle minions, they'll die, then the 2nd battlecry will kill the tokens. For other deathrattle minions, they'll die, and the 2nd battlecry will trigger before the tokens spawn. Which ones are which? We'll have to play to find out!

Lowerwalker Cho is actually a pretty good pull from Monkey, in that it's one of the only ways you can end up with a spell in your hand again.

Yeah, fair enough. I do like how the Monkey is a 6/6 with taunt for 4 mana. It allows you to use a card you need to before hand or use a good six legendary to follow up.

Wonder if the Monkey can give you itself, the map, or the night elf who starts it all.

Tomb Pillager

CTKWATVWIAUoNgM.jpg

Consider you pay 2 mana for the map it is more like a 6 mana 6/6 in value.

So at first you pay 4 Mana for a 3/5 that plants a map.

Then you pay 2 Mana to draw a card and insert the Monkey.

Then you pay 4 Mana to play the 6/6 with Taunt.

I could see the idea of a card like this being used in a Control Deck because it's three cards for one card slot. Granted, they're not all that great, but some decks could even use the Map Spell to combo things too.

The dream of playing the Map spell and drawing into the Golden Monkey.

Big winners so far:

Control rogue...maybe. Are the two cards enough to make it viable? If not, it'll be close. Reno jackson doesn't fit, you rarely need a heal. The Obsidian destroyer looks like a good addition considering it could pull mage secrets.
Fatigue Warrior. Why? Bran + shield maidens and iron juggernaut (not to mention the other neutral battle cry minions).
Pirate Rogue. A bit left field, but if you look at all the pirates, they will benefit hugely from having Bran on the board. A double activated shady dealer? That is very strong. It isn't going to be the new Patron, but it might be enough to see it more.
Warlock. No real cards yet and you know they are going to be bullshit. So Warlock wins pre-emptively.

Moonlight

Banned
The UI for something like this is not elegant. A mechanic like that actually makes more sense in a physical CCG than a digital one.
That's true, but I think there should be an attempt to make that sort of thing work regardless.

It'd be more interesting for deckbuilding than what Discover is now (which adds pretty much nothing to it), without speeding up combo decks an absolutely insane amount.

I feel like a lot of people are annoyed with the new mechanic, but I really don't see the downside towards it, pick the card that would work best within the situation

Losers:

Midrange Paladin: Murloc knight nerf doesn't destroy the class, but it doesn't help.
Shaman: Shaman needed something and it wasn't murlocs, which also got nerfed.
Control Classes: While some control decks got better, Brann is going to enable stupid face damage.

sibarraz

Banned
I honestly think that murloc knight isn't that great on constructed, most of the time when I play he doesnt give me the solution that I need and he will die in next turn anyway

I replaced him for a mukkla champion and the results had been great, I get a lot of value from him, specially when you justicared the paladin

Haly

I think Golden Monkey is going to be a generated card. You'll have to do the whole Explorer-Map shenanigans to play it.

It'll be more contrived than Voltron.

Moonlight

Banned
I feel like a lot of people are annoyed with the new mechanic, but I really don't see the downside towards it, pick the card that would work best within the situation
Because it's dumb. It's brainless. No one is worried that you won't get what you need for the situation, that's literally the problem with it. It's a thing you just play like whatever and hope you get the god pull. The fact that it draws out spells is even worse. Run out of Savage Roar? Maybe I'll get a new one! Etc. It fucks over the idea of long-term planning by adding something you literally cannot play around and nullifies baiting cards out. Got through both Hounds? Here, have another. The fact it limits you to your own class cards and Neutrals is probably a better thing for consistency and synergy overall, too.

The only difference is that you trade tempo for consistency, so maybe it won't be run if the meta is still hyper-aggression focused and the cards are too slow. A spell discovery might be worth it for the Hail Mary, though.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Aaaaaaand time for Hearthstone, folks! Main panel!

Slashlen

I'm liking the lower price for more cards for this expansion due to fewer wings. It means less pve fights, but hopefully that just means less filler fights.

Pooya

Dart Trap looks like it can be pretty good in face hunter, f that.

playing warrior you armor up, bam 5 damage to face.
you ping a leper gnome, 7 damage to face.

In these situations you board is probably empty so it goes just face. It's pretty much a possible face hunter card again. It's ridiculous how they print a card for that every expansion, now it's not clear how good it will be really but it's still yet another card for face hunter.

This year we had quickshot, core rage in BRM, Brave Archer in TGT and now this.

Top Bottom