• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT5| Corrupted Deeprock Salt

Danj

No, I'm sorry, this Omelettadin deck (with shredders substituted for Tirion and Sylvanas) isn't working any better (or worse) for me than any of the other decks I've tried recently. Still stuck on rank 16. I win one, I lose two, I win two, I lose one. Going nowhere.

No, I'm sorry, this Omelettadin deck (with shredders substituted for Tirion and Sylvanas) isn't working any better (or worse) for me than any of the other decks I've tried recently. Still stuck on rank 16. I win one, I lose two, I win two, I lose one. Going nowhere.
What are you losing to and why? Druid can be tough. sre you just running out of cards? Second divine could help. Throw that divine anytime you can get 3+ cards for it. Your early game is insane with chow/avenge/scientist/knife/muster into shredder or uldaman, you def shouldn't be having any early game struggles. What are you mulliganing for? You want to go hard for chow, then minibot and muster or scientist depending on the matchup

Almost no decks can outpace you early and once you have the board midgame your buffs and eggs should ensure you're dominating it until late game comes then it's tougher

Nope, Blizzard said "prior to".
My current guess is that maybe we'll get deck slots when they release more information about the formats and the cards that come with it so you can start building out and thinking about your Standard and Wild decks.

It's either this week or next from the sound of it.

Apathy

My current guess is that maybe we'll get deck slots when they release more information about the formats and the cards that come with it so you can start building out and thinking about your Standard and Wild decks.

It's either this week or next from the sound of it.

Now it's really feeling like they announced it too soon, as weird as that sounds

Danj

What are you losing to and why? Druid can be tough. sre you just running out of cards?

Nope, not run out of cards in any of the games I lost.

Second divine could help.

In place of what?

Throw that divine anytime you can get 3+ cards for it. Your early game is insane with chow/avenge/scientist/knife/muster into shredder or uldaman, you def shouldn't be having any early game struggles. What are you mulliganing for? You want to go hard for chow, then minibot and muster or scientist depending on the matchup

I'm not sure I quite understand what you're saying here, but generally if I'm first and there's no 1 mana cards I replace everything, and if I'm second and there's no 1 or 2 mana cards I replace everything.

Almost no decks can outpace you early and once you have the board midgame your buffs and eggs should ensure you're dominating it until late game comes then it's tougher

Well, clearly I'm doing something wrong then, I just don't know what.

Fireblend

Banned
Well, clearly I'm doing something wrong then, I just don't know what.

Being frustrated can contribute to losing and that just makes the whole thing worse. Why not take a break and give it another go next season? It's just a game not worth getting frustrated over.

manhack

Yea, ok.

So the game i watched, you get minibot and muster in the mulligan. But you throw them both away. What's your thought process here?

kpTtT.gif

Danj

So the game i watched, you get minibot and muster in the mulligan. But you throw them both away. What's your thought process here?

My thought process is, if I'm first and I don't have any 1 mana cards, I don't have a first turn. Or if I'm second and I don't have any 1 or 2 mana cards, I don't have a first turn. Is that wrong?

Fireblend

Banned
My thought process is, if I'm first and I don't have any 1 mana cards, I don't have a first turn. Or if I'm second and I don't have any 1 or 2 mana cards, I don't have a first turn. Is that wrong?

I'd say having one of the best 2 drops and the best 3 drop in the game makes for a preeeetty sweet alternative to that.

Dre

Not having a turn 1 play doesn't matter at all if you have your best 2-drop and 3-drop in your starting hand. You still have a very strong early game.

Besides Paladins NEVER mulligan Mustard and Minibot away, those cards are auto-keep.

Danj

I'd say having one of the best 2 drops and the best 3 drop in the game makes for a preeeetty sweet alternative to that.

Okay so when people are saying "mulligan for" plus a list of cards, it actually means "if any of these cards appear in the mulligan, you need to keep them and discard anything else"?

manhack

minibot followed by muster is one of the strongest openings in the game even if you don't play a card on turn 1. Playing minibot with coin is not bad depending on if you have another 2 drop. I would keep minibot muster all day every day.

Fireblend

Banned
I didn't really understand what it meant. I mean, you have no control over which cards you get in the replacements, so I didn't see how you could do that.

If your priority is to get a given card in your starting hand, worst case scenario, you go first and keep 3. You can replace all 3. If you have a particular card you want in your starting hand.

36,6 % of drawing a given card in your starting hand if you go first, and

46,9 % of drawing a given card in your starting hand if you go second.

This is assuming you have 2 copies of that card in your deck. Apply this to every card you're mulliganing for (so, around 4 cards I guess) and it's highly likely that if you mulligan for them, you'll have at least one card from your mulligan every game, with some negative variance here and there.

So you actually have plenty of control. A good mulligan is super important.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Not being able to play cards on your first turn isn't worth the risk of not being able to play a solid card on your second or third Turn. You almost always want to keep solid two drops and any deck that isn't hyper-aggro wants to keep its solid 3 drops too. If you throw away Minibot and don't get chow then you took a huge gamble and you lost.

Danj

If your priority is to get a given card in your starting hand, worst case scenario, you go first and keep 3. You can replace all 3. If you have a particular card you want in your starting hand.

36,6 % of drawing a given card in your starting hand if you go first, and

46,9 % of drawing a given card in your starting hand if you go second.

This is assuming you have 2 copies of that card in your deck. Apply this to every card you're mulliganing for (so, around 4 cards I guess) and it's highly likely that if you mulligan for them, you'll have at least one card from your mulligan every game, with some negative variance here and there.

So you actually have plenty of control. A good mulligan is super important.

Wow, okay, I had no idea the odds were so high.

How do you determine what card(s) you should be mulliganing for for any given deck?

Fireblend

Banned
Wow, okay, I had no idea the odds were so high.

How do you determine what card(s) you should be mulliganing for for any given deck?

Whatever will give you a strong early game. Mostly your 1 and 2 drops, maybe your really good 3 drops like Muster. Aggro will mulligan harder for mana and control will not mulligan as hard considering it can take control back with its strong midgame.

manhack

I didn't really understand what it meant. I mean, you have no control over which cards you get in the replacements, so I didn't see how you could do that.

One thing to keep in mind is that you can make the chance of having a card significantly higher by aggressively mulliganing. For example if a Warrior always mulligans for war axe (i.e. getting rid of all non-war axe cards) they will have anywhere from 35% to 45% chance to have card in opening hand depending on a few factors.

here is a good overview, but you can google for others: https://www.reddit.com/r/hearthston..._is_the_chance_to_get_card_x_in_your_opening/

Edit: beaten by a few others lol

Shiver

they're only the strongest cards in the game when played on curve.

ok, another thing that stood out to me. this is a little more advanced. what to you think is the best use of stuff like kings? when you're playing a fairly aggressive deck it's probably best to use it on something you can attack with the same turn.

so it's turn 7 or w/e, you killed something with your shredder and shredder dies. you're holding egg and kings and have four mana left. you could have dropped the egg and then buffed it next turn. but instead you buff whatever came out of your shredder. and your opponent dealt with it pretty easily. your reasoning here?

bunbun777

Whew hit rank 5 last night. Most fun deck I faced was a pirate hunter deck, I made the mistake of dropping Dr boom when we were both almost within lethal and he top decked hounds for perfect damage. Was a fun game he was around rank 7 with it.

greepoman

Danj...I'll also add that while you'll get "auto wins" with a strong deck you can get far more wins just by knowing what deck your opponent is playing and what possible counters they will play in following turns.

If the opponent is coming up on turn 4 and they're Reno lock and you have a choice to play something that dies to hellfire and something that doesn't play the one that doesn't. Also if you have secrets in hand try to play them to punish clears and/or trades. Secret pally isn't really a face deck so it's important to know when to trade and when to go face. As a rogue player I'll tell you never leave a rogue with a spell power minion up if you can kill it.

There's too many general rules to list you just need to learn them as you play.

Xanathus

Mutiple accounts, and playing on all 3 regions. I know most the pros get legend on all regions every month. So sometimes they just run out of time on a specific region.

I don't think Forsen actually played multiple accounts this season, he's just been playing a lot of shitty Reno decks.

That doesn't surprise me. Forsen one of the streamers that i avoid i can't stand how anyone enjoy his stream without being drunk, high or under their early 20s.

It's literally nothing but a memefest. Maybe i just came in on bad time but evertime i do it's nothing but meme music and racist donations.

FlyingHugeMan

Neo Member
That doesn't surprise me. Forsen one of the streamers that i avoid i can't stand how anyone enjoy his stream without being drunk, high or under their early 20s.

It's literally nothing but a memefest. Maybe i just came in on bad time but evertime i do it's nothing but meme music and racist donations.

Pretty much what I got when I tried his tream. never again.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
He has been playing his own shitty reno decks lol.

That and dealing with stream snipers.

Just saw a paladin trade a 3/4 into a 1/1 and not his 3/3 because he knew the secret was redemption, lol.

That would drive me nuts.

Fireblend

Banned
How would you guys improve ladder so that players were better distributed across ranks? Right now I feel like Rank 20 - 15 is too newbie-unfriendly.

Would you make it so players can't fall more than ~3-5 ranks below their highest-achieved during a season?

Maybe make rewards be for the last rank you placed in rather than the best overall so people are incentivized to stay at high ranks?

Just saw a paladin trade a 3/4 into a 1/1 and not his 3/3 because he knew the secret was redemption, lol.

That would drive me nuts.
I've seen snipers intentionally kill the worst minion first because they knew the secret was effigy or duplicate, that shit is so blatant you could just report them.

Levi

Banned
Went from a 7-1 in arena to 7-3. Feels really fucking bad.

My best arena run is only 9 wins so I was getting excited. Fuck Paladins.

If someone wants to stream that's their choice lol, more power to those with the time to mess with them. Put your stream on a delay if you're so worried about it?

Fireblend

Banned
Can somebody tell me when GvG is being removed and if it's worth buying Naxx before they go?

I personally would get Naxx, the single player content is pretty good and you only have to buy the first wing and then unlock/play through it at your own pace. 700 gold isn't that hard to get.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
How would you guys improve ladder so that players were better distributed across ranks? Right now I feel like Rank 20 - 15 is too newbie-unfriendly.

Would you make it so players can't fall more than ~3-5 ranks below their highest-achieved during a season?

Maybe make rewards be for the last rank you placed in rather than the best overall so people are incentivized to stay at high ranks?

I would add additional ranks but also make it so people fall fewer ranks. So maybe 30 ranks instead of 25, and then people fall a tier below where they finished. So like people who finish in Legend fall to rank 5, people in 1-5 fall to rank 10, etc. And honestly maybe let the seasons be longer. I don't know if I will ever hit legend, because it is a brutal grind every month. I play somewhat casually and do my quests in Ranked, and I usually fall around Rank 8 at the end of a season unless I start playing like a tryhard to actually get ranks.

Danj

they're only the strongest cards in the game when played on curve.

ok, another thing that stood out to me. this is a little more advanced. what to you think is the best use of stuff like kings? when you're playing a fairly aggressive deck it's probably best to use it on something you can attack with the same turn.

so it's turn 7 or w/e, you killed something with your shredder and shredder dies. you're holding egg and kings and have four mana left. you could have dropped the egg and then buffed it next turn. but instead you buff whatever came out of your shredder. and your opponent dealt with it pretty easily. your reasoning here?

Mana efficiency? Aren't you supposed to try and make sure you end up with as little (or no) mana left over on a turn?

Top Bottom