• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT5| Corrupted Deeprock Salt

Dre

I just realized what the most egregious issue I have with this whole game, and it didn't click till now. It's not some of the OP cards, or bullshit rng, no, none of that. It's that paladin's are yellow coloured and rogues are black instead of following the wow colour scheme of rogues being yellow and paladins pink.

Then you probably also "enjoy" that the Toshley, Malygos, Mal'Ganis and King's Defender cards don't actually depict their name-givers.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
I think Priest losing Lightbomb is the bigger deal. Most of those Deathrattle cards hurt Priest because they were so hard to control.

This.

Losing LIghtbomb is the biggest deal out of all the big deal things that deck is losing. For control priest (is there another kind? lol) that spell is miles better than Holy Nova and even Excavated Evil isn't even close to the same. Lightbomb gave Priest a way to clear threats of (almost) any size. The card is super versatile. The other two seem to be mainly anti-aggro. Priest is gonna need to get some crazy cards in this expansion or it's gonna be in a weird place.

I think Priest losing Lightbomb is the bigger deal. Most of those Deathrattle cards hurt Priest because they were so hard to control.
Agree on losing lightbomb for sure. But I think the Discover mechanic really helps add more control. 3 cards give you a good option to pick something that you play on curve or for some later play to finish the game.

Apathy

Then you probably also "enjoy" that the Toshley, Malygos, Mal'Ganis and King's Defender cards don't actually depict their name-givers.

No just the colors of the classes.

Also, although the Ma'Ganis card uses Varimathras, people seem to forget in War 3, Varimathras was Red, not the colour that he is shown in WoW or the art they use for him and Mal'Ganis

bHcy6Dv.jpg

bjaelke

Lightbomb can be replace by another boardclear from the upcoming expansion. Deathrattles on the other hand affect 3 essential cards.

Danj

Is it just me or is this new brawl AWFUL. Awful awful awful. The "dire fate" thing at 20hp is so useless, everything other than "turn all the minions to tinyfins" helps your opponent!!

Apathy

Is it just me or is this new brawl AWFUL. Awful awful awful. The "dire fate" thing at 20hp is so useless, everything other than "turn all the minions to tinyfins" helps your opponent!!

We were praising it last night, check the posts.

Dahbomb

You need to make a deck to account for the Dire Fates.

If you are using Handlock, the Charge/Taunt fate is godlike.

Windfury dire fate can end the game right there if you have the set up.

The one that draws cards for the opponent when their minions die is godlike for Mill decks.

Different Dire fates account for different playstyles. They are like super fates, a comeback mechanic type thing but you need the right deck to utilize them better.

Of course if you are losing then you are losng. But the Dire fates can easily turn a game around.

They're also losing Dark Cultist, Velen's Chosen, and Deathlord. Their early board control is getting wiped out in addition to their best board clear. I guess it's back to Wild Pyromancers and Injured Blade Masters, both of which are too combo dependent. And then they're losing Light of the Naaru which worked well with both of those cards and Deathlord.

Apathy

They're also losing Dark Cultist, Velen's Chosen, and Deathlord. Their early board control is getting wiped out in addition to their best board clear. I guess it's back to Wild Pyromancers and Injured Blade Masters, both of which are too combo dependent. And then they're losing Light of the Naaru which worked well with both of those cards and Deathlord.

They probably want you to go back to WP or soulpriest+circle and really hurt yourself if you're going to aoe down your opponent :(

Fireblend

Banned

Try to stay in control throughout the match and be mindful of when you'll get your dire fate turn and when your opponent will. It might not be worth it to attack your opponent's face if that's going to push them into theirs. Wait until you're in a good position and even if they get the tinyfin thing you can still be at an advantage (tinyfin fate + coin fate + Antonidas is insane for example, you might even want to trigger it yourself, it can be game-ending). Don't play big minions or win conditions if they're not at 20 yet or unless you can burst them from 20+ to 0. If you're playing Warlock or even Rogue you can intentionally lose health until you're at 20 to get the second fate even if you're winning.

But yeah if you're losing by a lot the dire fates will not really help you.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
So just that list with Worgens.

Off the top of my head:

Deathlord
Unstable Ghoul
Dancing Swords
Nerubian Egg
Haunted Creeper
Sludge Belcher
Death's Bite
Piloted Shredder
Web Spinner
Zombie Chow
Fuegan/Stalagg
Mad Scientist
Piloted Sky Golem
Sneeds Old Shredder
Dark Cultist
Malorne
Void Caller
Toshley
Clockwork Gnome
Explosive Sheep
Mechanical Yeti
Powermace
Boom Bots

As I type this I am staggered by how much Deathrattle cards dominate the meta.

Yep, it will be a great day. We will also be left with only 3 minion RNG summon cards, Mounted Raptor, Hungry Dragon, and Effigy.

Dahbomb

Just whooped a Tempo Mage (best deck in the Brawl easily) with Mill Rogue by filling his hand with coins/bananas then milling the Flamewakers.

He filled the board with Mirror Images and I used Dark Iron Skulker with the minion card draw on kill and the guy rage quit LMAO!

Fireblend

Banned
Kripp had some really cool games as Mill Rogue yesterday. It does look like an underrated deck for this brawl, or maybe people don't really know how to play it so they stick to the Tempo Mage/other decks.

Apathy

Kripp had some really cool games as Mill Rogue yesterday. It does look like an underrated deck for this brawl, or maybe people don't really know how to play it so they stick to the Tempo Mage/other decks.

People hold on to their coins and bananas too long.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
The thing about Standard I'm most excited about is that people will stop calling things Dr. Whatever.

Who am I kidding. It's never gonna stop. T_T

Dahbomb

The thing about Standard I'm most excited about is that people will stop calling things Dr. Whatever.

Who am I kidding. It's never gonna stop. T_T
Nah with Dr Boom gone we can finally retire that tag.

A card has to stupidly broken for it to be compared to a banned card.

wait you cant have more than 1 of the 4 totems that the hero power gives you?

Nope. You can change that with Justicar, but normally it's one each. With Justicar, the total number of hero power totems is capped at 4, but you can have any combination of totems including duplicates.

Edit: Speaking of Justicar in Shaman decks, does anybody else think that they got the worst Justicar hero power? Totems are already the worst hero power because totems are mostly useless, but they don't get upgraded or anything. They don't get multiple totems like Paladin does recruits. They just lose the RNG, but how often does that actually matter?

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
Mysterious Challenger still in the game man.

But really without Avenge is that deck gonna still be played? Are people going to run more copies of Competitive Spirit instead? (no) Maybe Redemption, I guess? (maybe?)

And without the super sticky minions the deck will have big problems keeping units on the board. I'm super curious to see what kind of minions get printed for Paladin in the next expansion. That class has some real issues.

ViviOggi

Of course it's among the worst upgrades. The biggest joke is Warlock's, except there it makes sense since it's already the best hero power.

ViviOggi

But really without Avenge is that deck gonna still be played? Are people going to run more copies of Competitive Spirit instead? (no) Maybe Redemption, I guess? (maybe?)

And without the super sticky minions the deck will have big problems keeping units on the board. I'm super curious to see what kind of minions get printed for Paladin in the next expansion. That class has some real issues.
Paladin can rot for all I care, utterly terribly designed class.

Apathy

Dires make this not fun. The fates are cool, even when loosing, I wish there was a way to say no i don't want a dire.

I've tried, Ive really tried to even remotely like shamans and I can't. How people play it or like it or even use it in tournaments is beyond me.

ViviOggi

Hunter and Shaman have to be the worst classes in HS design wise.
Hm Hunter, it's always going to be an aggressive class so from a variety/future potential angle I agree. I like its tribal aspect though.

Shaman is a complete mess no question, but it has a bunch of unique and kind of cool mechanics and themes that are just underused, unfinished or couldn't keep up with the power creep (classic overload cards).

But Paladin is fundamentally flawed in the sense that it's built on a single gimmick: being very powerful when it controls the board but weak once it falls behind. Now with Hearthstone being a board-centric and tempo-driven game this is highly problematic, and most of us remember how worthless Paladin used to be. So the only way out is giving it more and more AND MORE massively overvalued power cards until the entire dynamic is flipped upside down. And when a big chunk of those cards leave the format Paladin goes straight back to being garbage tier because Blizzard failed to diversify the class at all, except for the recent "combo" archetype - which might not survive standard either.

That's what I meant when I called Paladin a terribly designed class.

Dahbomb

Paladin still has a Control option, a Midrange option and a combo option. Stuff like Pyromancer Equality allows them to get back on the board. That combined with their heals means that they can actually play a control playstyle or play for the long haul but neither Hunter nor Shaman can do that. They are binary classes pigeon holed into specific archetypes due to bad design.

Shaman is stuck playing aggro because aggro doesn't care about using hero power and aggro uses overload better.

Hunter is stuck playing a form of Beast face deck or a Midrange Beast deck because that's all they ever get. The hero power and lack of good heals/draws means they can't play a late game. So all these cards like Lock n Load, Ball of Spiders, Powershot and Dreadscale end up going to waste.

Tarazet

Paladin still has a Control option, a Midrange option and a combo option. Stuff like Pyromancer Equality allows them to get back on the board. That combined with their heals means that they can actually play a control playstyle or play for the long haul but neither Hunter nor Shaman can do that. They are binary classes pigeon holed into specific archetypes due to bad design.

Shaman is stuck playing aggro because aggro doesn't care about using hero power and aggro uses overload better.

Shaman gained a lot from Sir Finley, and Fireguard Destroyer is insanely good. I think there's a good midrange list somewhere, but it wouldn't survive the transition to Standard anyway since the best midrange minions are cycling out.

fertygo

I love it with Warlock, despite people already get used to it now.. still got 30 win in first day

Reaching 2nd fate first is HUGE

Also don't waste your resource if your opponent not reaching 2nd fate, you don't want those dandy minions turn into murlock

fertygo

I like Shaman when I had a chance to mess around with it with good draft in arena tbh

The AoE removal was fun, unlock your overload with two drop spell, Fearal Spirit to buy time, Flame Elemental, finishing with Bloodlust after controling the board.. I don't even have windfury card

Fireguard Destroyer is super cool card btw.

Dahbomb

What is their midrange option, exactly? Midrange Paladin did not really exist until Minibot and Muster.
They can use Garrison Commander, Murloc Knight and Silverhand Regent with Justicar Trueheart to create a sort of flood Midrange Paladin. That deck actually works pretty well its just that the Minibot Muster version works better of course. They still have Aldor and Uldaman as additional options for that deck. Hell they can probably even bring back Sword of Justice.

And this isn't even including good drops in the 2/3 slot that may get introduced in the expansion.

Apathy

I really hate the this game. I get the worst fucking draws. I have never had my elise or map or monkey show up on time, my opponents, every one, gets it two turns after they play it. At this point it's bullshit, even when I am digging as hard as possible with 2 clerics

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
They can use Garrison Commander, Murloc Knight and Silverhand Regent with Justicar Trueheart to create a sort of flood Midrange Paladin.

An inspire Paladin? That sounds like it would be garbage against anything but Control Warrior. Without the strong early game of Minibot and Muster, such a deck would have a difficult time seriously capturing the board in the early game.

Dahbomb

An inspire Paladin? That sounds like it would be garbage against anything but Control Warrior. Without the strong early game of Minibot and Muster, such a deck would have a difficult time seriously capturing the board in the early game.
That's because it will be against other similar decks with non sticky minions. Knife Juggler is still very strong in this deck too assuming it doesn't get gutted l. You can also use Argent Horseriders in the 3 mana slot to have aggressive board control.

I have tried the deck and it's pretty solid. It can certainly snowball out of control.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
That's because it will be against other similar decks with non sticky minions. Knife Juggler is still very strong in this deck too assuming it doesn't get gutted l. You can also use Argent Horseriders in the 3 mana slot to have aggressive board control.

I have tried the deck and it's pretty solid. It can certainly snowball out of control.

With Murloc Knight, Uldamann and Aldor still being around, paladin will definitely have a hell of a mid range deck around. I kinda want to try this deck now. Inspire pally eh? Just flood the board in hte mid-game and hope they can't keep up with the 1/1s and such? Is there anything else in there that I wouldn't be albe to figure out from that theme?

Apathy

Isn't it assumed the nerf to juggler is going to be on minions played and not summoned anymore?

Wonder if they could make a system for people that quit instantly out of a match consistently to tank their rank. Those people are the ones that are farming lower ranks

Apathy

FUCK ALEXSTRASZA

I hate that card more than any other in this game. completely in the lead, and it's 15 damage instantly that it does not deserve. Fuck that card. It should not do damage at all, shes the life binder. If it heals fine whatever, it's a less risky and less healing reno, but fuck that card doing damage

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
FUCK ALEXSTRASZA

I hate that card more than any other in this game. completely in the lead, and it's 15 damage instantly that it does not deserve. Fuck that card. It should not do damage at all, shes the life binder. If it heals fine whatever, it's a less risky and less healing reno, but fuck that card doing damage

I seriously hope that card is on the short list of "Problematic cards" they are taking a nerf bat to in the patch. Alex singlehandly enables so many different combo decks just by existing. If she was self target only it would be so much better. 3rd Iceblock for 9 Mana is ok by me.

Dahbomb

With Murloc Knight, Uldamann and Aldor still being around, paladin will definitely have a hell of a mid range deck around. I kinda want to try this deck now. Inspire pally eh? Just flood the board in hte mid-game and hope they can't keep up with the 1/1s and such? Is there anything else in there that I wouldn't be albe to figure out from that theme?
You should just try this deck with Muster for Battle, Quartermasters and Minibots. Pretty much the standard Midrange Paladin list.

Top Bottom