• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT5| Corrupted Deeprock Salt

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I keep running into Mech Mages for some reason.

Was there a popular stream with one/highly rated Hearthpwn deck or is everyone just running out to play it before it goes away?

ViviOggi

I keep running into Mech Mages for some reason.

Was there a popular stream with one/highly rated Hearthpwn deck or is everyone just running out to play it before it goes away?
It always flares up for a week or two for some reason, generally when there's more Warriors around than usual. Standard coming is probably a factor as well but Mech Mage isn't really a deck you can fall in love with.

It always flares up for a week or two for some reason, generally when there's more Warriors around than usual. Standard coming is probably a factor as well but Mech Mage isn't really a deck you can fall in love with.
Mech mage is what got me into Hearthstone. Cheap deck that could do damage...up to a point. It really is a great into deck that shows you the possibilities of Hearthstone. that is until you realize the limitations of Hearthstone and you never play mech mage again.

ViviOggi

tfw running into a Warlock with two Booms at 5-1

CoolOff

I think I just faced the GOAT arena deck.

T1: Chow
T2: Argent Protector
T3: Seal of Champions
T4: Yeti
T5: Truesilver
T6: Sylvanas
T7: Geddon

Then he managed to play one of each of Blessing of Kings, Consecrate, and Ulduaman before I died. Sort of like a greatest hits-compilation all in all.

FeelsPaladinMan

Apathy

had a match vs a priest that had every sort of card to copy cards from me/steal minions. It was odd seeing someone actually play mind games.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
Mech mage is what got me into Hearthstone. Cheap deck that could do damage...up to a point. It really is a great into deck that shows you the possibilities of Hearthstone. that is until you realize the limitations of Hearthstone and you never play mech mage again.

This is it exactly. It is a low-cost deck (in terms of dust needed to craft it all), and was at one point pretty powerful. Like face hunter, it is relatively easy to play and has lots of cool synergies that are fun to execute on when you are newer to the game. The low execution requirement also means that if you get lucky or play tons of games you can ladder with it and do ok most of the time. Beating the perfect Mech Mage curve is pretty tough if you aren't Secret Pally or Combo Druid. Play enough games and you'll climb a bit until you just get overwhelmed by the meta being so against you. If people don't play enough to get high ladder ranks each season, I could totally see people not ever messing with their Mech deck since it "just works".

It's also very "themed" which is the kind of thing Blizzard seems to want judging by those recipie screenshots, but I guess decided at some point that none of those themes should be neutral cards anymore. Which is probably for the best, but you gotta wonder if they'll ever release new tribes again. If they do, I'm guessing they'll be self contained like the mechs are for the most part.

Hearthstone has been pretty boring to play for a while for me now. I can barely muster the energy to do the dailies every few days. Hope the new expansion and format come out soon and breath some fresh air into the game.

Tagyhag

If you have a Mech Cannon and a Healing Totem, and the cannon shoots the totem at the end of your turn, the totem will not die and heal itself to 0/1. Pretty cool.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
If you have a Mech Cannon and a Healing Totem, and the cannon shoots the totem at the end of your turn, the totem will not die and heal itself to 0/1. Pretty cool.

Yeah, Hearthstone resolves actions in separate phases and then death processing occurs at the end of the phase. So because both Fel Cannon and Healing Totem are part of the End of Turn phase, both actions resolve before death processing occurs.

Tagyhag

Yeah, Hearthstone resolves actions in separate phases and then death processing occurs at the end of the phase. So because both Fel Cannon and Healing Totem are part of the End of Turn phase, both actions resolve before death processing occurs.

Wish it was more clear in what would happen in what phase, and it seems some things just contradict each other based on that quiz game.

How the fuck does imp-plosives hit me for 4 every damn time? It kills a minion with 1 health and it gets to take and keep board control for the gawd damn rest of the game? You mange to clear 4 and then they just hit you with another and lay down 4 more. Rng hearthstone bullshit.

There. I feel better now.

Apathy

How the fuck does imp-plosives hit me for 4 every damn time? It kills a minion with 1 health and it gets to take and keep board control for the gawd damn rest of the game? You mange to clear 4 and then they just hit you with another and lay down 4 more. Rng hearthstone bullshit.

There. I feel better now.

Overkills with that sucks

ZealousD

Wish it was more clear in what would happen in what phase, and it seems some things just contradict each other based on that quiz game.

Anything not explicitly an RNG mechanic is ultimately deterministic in Hearthstone. The problem is that there's something like 5-6 phases where actions can occur and deaths can process and then sometimes summoning or killing minions within phases leads into nested phases.

For examples, despite popular opinion to the contrary, battlecries actually do resolve before minions are placed onto the board. When people see effects that make them think to the contrary, it's usually because you have nested phases that resolve before the main phase. For example, while Dr. Boom actually appears on the board before his boom bots, the boom bots will get a buff from sword of justice first before Dr. Boom because the After Summon phase of the boom bots triggers before the after summon phase of Dr. Boom.

Tarazet

As a Warrior main, Snowchugger and Water Elemental are my worst enemies. Those Mage decks are actually good matchups for Patron, but they're very annoying opponents.

Hycran

Banned
Watching the Kripp stream, fucking guy is sniping him at 0-0, does a bunch of trolly plays and makes clearly sub optimal plays trying to play around certain outcomes. Attacks a shredder instead of a better target to avoid a blastmage, but it spawned an autobarber. Kripp drops the blastmage and snowballs from there.

The entire chat just begins shitting on this guy who is clearly in chat, dude must have been fucking salty in that he knew every card from the beginning and didn't even get top decked to get beaten, just got outplayed (minus that little bit of rng) even when sniping. Funniest shit i've seen in a long time.

Ruddles72

Been seeing a lot of Hunters on ladder trying to make Desert Camel work. I haven't lost to a single one, even when they get the Injured Kvaldirs.

I tried it this morning and got whomped 3 games in a row, and constantly felt like I was getting outvalued. I usually play Dragon Priest or Control Warrior, and it felt like the chance to get a cheap Kvaldir wasn't enough to turn a weak mid-range hunter deck into a strong one.

Separate question.

I generally play 30-40 minutes a day most days, so maybe 4-5 games given the decks I run. I just don't ever go above rank 10, and frankly, at rank 10, I see very few misplays and no bad decks at all. Then it's just about match-ups and favourable draw. Do the players that rank higher think I'm just time constrained at this point to get above rank 10? Playing more or watching streams isn't really an option, I'm just casual, and it feels like around rank 10 everyone is competent / decent, so going higher requires a bigger time investment than I can offer.

I've been playing at this pace since beta so I have a huge card collection and I've tried most decks, dragon priest and control warrior happen to be my favourites but occasionally I play something like face hunter to break a losing streak.

I'd like to git gud but can't. Tips?

Sheroking

Watching the Kripp stream, fucking guy is sniping him at 0-0, does a bunch of trolly plays and makes clearly sub optimal plays trying to play around certain outcomes. Attacks a shredder instead of a better target to avoid a blastmage, but it spawned an autobarber. Kripp drops the blastmage and snowballs from there.

The entire chat just begins shitting on this guy who is clearly in chat, dude must have been fucking salty in that he knew every card from the beginning and didn't even get top decked to get beaten, just got outplayed (minus that little bit of rng) even when sniping. Funniest shit i've seen in a long time.

Kripp complains about being sniped constantly but what's hilarious is if you watch a bunch of streamers, he actually does get blatantly sniped far more often.

Real obvious shit like treading sub-optimally to play around Blizzard on turn 8 in Arena.

Kripp complains about being sniped constantly but what's hilarious is if you watch a bunch of streamers, he actually does get blatantly sniped far more often.

Kind of a loop though. He gets salty about being sniped, so more people snipe him. Which makes him saltier, so he gets more viewers and snipers.

Pretty sure at the end of it all, he is laughing all the way to the bank.

Lumine

Haha, so instead of finally adding plenty of slots for people to experiment with they're adding "recipe's" telling people what they should play. As if 95+% doesn't already take their deck from some website. I don't mind them adding such a feature, especially for newer players, but it really shouldn't be a priority.

Sande

Anything not explicitly an RNG mechanic is ultimately deterministic in Hearthstone. The problem is that there's something like 5-6 phases where actions can occur and deaths can process and then sometimes summoning or killing minions within phases leads into nested phases.

For examples, despite popular opinion to the contrary, battlecries actually do resolve before minions are placed onto the board. When people see effects that make them think to the contrary, it's usually because you have nested phases that resolve before the main phase. For example, while Dr. Boom actually appears on the board before his boom bots, the boom bots will get a buff from sword of justice first before Dr. Boom because the After Summon phase of the boom bots triggers before the after summon phase of Dr. Boom.
Battlecries Resolve AFTER The Minion Enters Play

peakish

Another question about order of effects:

I just played a game where I had 2 Nerubian Eggs and the opponent an Abomination with deathrattle: Deal 2 damage to all characters. I was thinking about playing a Sentinel with deathrattle: Give a friendly minion +3/+3, giving it charge and killing the Abomination with it which would trigger both deathrattles.

Which deathrattle would go off first in this scenario? Would one of my eggs be buffed before taking the damage, or would they pop and the buff go on a Nerubian? Would it determine in the order of oldest minion on board, in this case the Abomination?

Xanathus

I just played a game where I had 2 Nerubian Eggs and the opponent an Abomination with deathrattle: Deal 2 damage to all characters. I was thinking about playing a Sentinel with deathrattle: Give a friendly minion +3/+3, giving it charge and killing the Abomination with it which would trigger both deathrattles.

Which deathrattle would go off first in this scenario? Would one of my eggs be buffed before taking the damage, or would they pop and the buff go on a Nerubian? Would it determine in the order of oldest minion on board, in this case the Abomination?

Abom dies -> Eggs popped -> 1 of the Nerubian gets buffed

CJVaughn

Banned

The oldest deathrattle pops first, and then goes in sequence from oldest>newest from there

ZealousD

The oldest deathrattle pops first, and then goes in sequence from oldest>newest from there

Yeah, the abomination will absolutely die and resolve his deathrattle before the Anubisath, because he was played first.

The more interesting question is actually whether the eggs or the anubisath resolves first. Of this I'm not actually sure. The abomination killing the eggs might result in a nested death resolution step where the eggs die before the anubisath but I'm not actually sure. Deaths are complicated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3d_qlm4Xws

Fireblend

Banned
Re: Advanced interactions, [this] is a fun read.

Makes you realize how many counterintuitive interactions/bugs are in the game. I wish Blizzard overhauled the game's entire code to streamline interactions, but I'm guessing that's never gonna happen :p

LCKIV

Neo Member
I tried it this morning and got whomped 3 games in a row, and constantly felt like I was getting outvalued. I usually play Dragon Priest or Control Warrior, and it felt like the chance to get a cheap Kvaldir wasn't enough to turn a weak mid-range hunter deck into a strong one.

Separate question.

I generally play 30-40 minutes a day most days, so maybe 4-5 games given the decks I run. I just don't ever go above rank 10, and frankly, at rank 10, I see very few misplays and no bad decks at all. Then it's just about match-ups and favourable draw. Do the players that rank higher think I'm just time constrained at this point to get above rank 10? Playing more or watching streams isn't really an option, I'm just casual, and it feels like around rank 10 everyone is competent / decent, so going higher requires a bigger time investment than I can offer.

I've been playing at this pace since beta so I have a huge card collection and I've tried most decks, dragon priest and control warrior happen to be my favourites but occasionally I play something like face hunter to break a losing streak.

I'd like to git gud but can't. Tips?

I'm in the same boat in terms of time to play and ladder rank. I always figured it was a time thing because if I push I can get to 7 but usually I hit a big lose streak and don't have the time to do another push and then the season is almost done and I say forget it.

ZealousD

Separate question.

If you basically do nothing but dailies in Ranked every couple of days then topping out around Rank 8-10 is about right.

If you spend a couple hours on a weekend playing a strong meta deck like Druid or Secret Paladin then Rank 5 is achievable.

Fireblend

Banned
All my brawl/watch and learn packs have been 40 dust packs lately :/

Just keep at it. We now know about the pity timer, so just think you're getting closer to a legendary. I got VanCleef like one and a half months ago and ever since then it's been nothing but 40dust packs, but I know I'm getting closer to the next one :p

rukland

So I have only been playing since the end of December thanks to Christmas presents I own all three adventures and have a few extra cards from random gift cards. I don't get much play time and in the beginning I was wasting gold. So I am pretty excited that today I have hit 3k gold to go along with the 3k dust I have been sitting on.

Going to be very picky with that dust and hope what ever packs I get for the new set are good.

But then I really have to bite the bullet and figure out what to play. Up until now I have been playing what ever I can with cards I have gotten. Spending as little dust as I could. Got really lucky and got Dr. 7 from a arena pack reward.

Played way more hunter and mech mage then I can handle now. I really hope that standard and the new set will allow me to get to play more fun things.

But I get the feeling I might end up having to either grind arena or spend some money so I can fill in the gaps in my classic collection.

Ruddles72

If you basically do nothing but dailies in Ranked every couple of days then topping out around Rank 8-10 is about right.

If you spend a couple hours on a weekend playing a strong meta deck like Druid or Secret Paladin then Rank 5 is achievable.

Thanks, this is useful. Managing my expectations helps me enjoy games more!

Top Bottom