• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT5| Corrupted Deeprock Salt

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Are we calling Stand Against Darkness trash because it's bad or because you guys just don't like the fact that it's too similar to Muster for Battle?

Okay, I'm playing ranked to level up each of the classes to 10. It's... slow going as I lack a lot of the class cards.

Since I have 2 of the adventures, should I just play those to level up?

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
I don't know, when there is a card that is mandatory to put in every deck or it sucks and you lose, that's not a good thing for the game. That's like pre-nerf Nat Pagle, pre-nerf Leeroy Jenkins, Dr. Boom. And the fact that C'Thun seems to require half your deck to be dedicated to it makes me think that it will get awfully repetitive if that's what we see from every single class.
If one class has cards usable to boost C'thun you'll just see a harder push towards a single archetype C'thun instead of one that spans classes. Class cards are already fairly limited, and when an expansion whiffs on them or doesn't make something more universal it can really hurt the class. If a class winds up receiving C'thun based cards it would feel like the game is pushing them too hard to create that kind of deck.

ZealousD

Okay, I'm playing ranked to level up each of the classes to 10. It's... slow going as I lack a lot of the class cards.

No. You level up faster if you play Ranked. Keep doing what you're doing.

You could, I like doing the class challenges since you play some fun decks and so aren't hindered by your lack of cards. Ranked does give you more exp though.

That's seriously the card they choose to reveal?

Everything about this screams a miniature Destiny cycle. They have no idea what to do with the game and are coming up with something at the very last minute, and gave themselves two more months to crunch.

All aboard my doomsayer train!

Tarazet

Are we calling Stand Against Darkness trash because it's bad or because you guys just don't like the fact that it's too similar to Muster for Battle?

It's clunky because it costs 5 mana, and Paladin is a class that already has a busy mid-late game but little early game with the loss of Naxx/GVG cards. It's not bad, it's not as good as Muster is now, but it just doesn't seem like a card that Paladin wants to play.

You could, I like doing the class challenges since you play some fun decks and so aren't hindered by your lack of cards. Ranked does give you more exp though.

I'll keep doing ranked then. Almost got priest up (yawn, I really don't like this class) and then I've got 4 of them done. Once I've got them all done I'll see what classes I like the best (Necro / Hunter so far) and then focus on those classes while I go through the adventures and get more cards.

I already spent quite a bit on the game, but I feel like it's more accessible and cheaper than MTG overall so that's nice.

Dahbomb

I think it's okay. I don't think it's as good as Muster.
Of course it's not as good as Muster for Battle but Muster was damn near broken. It's also not as bad as Dark Whispers or Ball of Spiders. The card is balanced stat wise but it's very usable for all the reasons I mentioned before. It's usable both in Wild and in Standard.

In fact, I don't think any card revealed in OG is raw dumpster tier. Closest is Validated Doomsayer but it's not bad in an aggressive deck.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I'd be very disappointed if they made an expansion about the old gods and didn't "break" mechanics somehow.

Here's a question I have;

Not counting the power of Muster for Battle, is a card like that a staple for Paladins now? I know it's a strong card, but I'm thinking more about something that pools a lot of Recruit bodies for them. Paladins are all about buffs, right? So getting a card every Standard cycle that does that seems like a good idea for them as a class. Sure, maybe this iteration is a really boring take on that idea, but it could be a way to see how it functions and where to move forward from here.

Dahbomb

I'd be very disappointed if they made an expansion about the old gods and didn't "break" mechanics somehow.
Cthun already breaks some mechanics. The buff it gets from the cultists seems to be permanent so if you bounce back the card as a 10/10 into your hand it remains a 10/10. This might also mean that the buff can't be silenced off.

My question is what happens when you Thoughsteal it. Do you get the buffed version? What about when you Entomb it?

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
My question is what happens when you Thoughsteal it. Do you get the buffed version? What about when you Entomb it?

Fodder for amusing "wtf hearthstone" videos I imagine.

People laughed at me when I suggested the new expansion would be cards like Piloted Shradder.

Yet here we are, rebuy the same old cards with some balance adjustments every year!

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Here's a question I have;

Not counting the power of Muster for Battle, is a card like that a staple for Paladins now? I know it's a strong card, but I'm thinking more about something that pools a lot of Recruit bodies for them. Paladins are all about buffs, right? So getting a card every Standard cycle that does that seems like a good idea for them as a class. Sure, maybe this iteration is a really boring take on that idea, but it could be a way to see how it functions and where to move forward from here.

I feel Muster was just really good tempo, plus the having a Lights Justice is really helpful, since you would often make use of the extra damage to remove the enemy 2 or 3 drop.

The new version having no weapon make it a lot weaker. In a vacuum, its just an average card. How viable it will be is going to come down to how it synergizes with other cards in the set. If there is something that benefits from summoning or killing a bunch of units, then it will be pretty good. If not, average doesn't normally cut it in constructed, so it likely wouldn't see play at all.

Dahbomb

People laughed at me when I suggested the new expansion would be cards like Piloted Shradder.

Yet here we are, rebuy the same old cards with some balance adjustments every year!
I am going to pop off really hard if they put out a Corrupted Shredder, 5 mana 5/3 Deathrattle: Summon a 3 drop.

_DrMario_

Instead of actually balancing cards they are simply going to wait until they rotate out and then make us buy the "new" balanced replacements lol.

rickyson1

This is not a good look for the expansion at all. I really hope that the entire expansion isn't just "rebalanced" old cards and cards that exclusively buff/synergize with old gods.

i'm actually sorta relieved by cards like these

i'm pretty much picturing it as a "don't worry guys we aren't gonna do straight reprints" thing which I was actually semi worried about

that said hopefully 1: i'm not reading too much into it and 2: there aren't to many of them

Dahbomb

Better than hungry dragon, can't be insta killed
That's way worse than Hungry Dragon. It can summon a Patient Assassin for your opponent and then you basically wasted a whole turn.

Even then most of the 2 drops can outright kill the 6/3 minion. It's dumpster status.

That's way worse than Hungry Dragon. It can summon a Patient Assassin for your opponent and then you basically wasted a whole turn.

Even then most of the 2 drops can outright kill the 6/3 minion. It's dumpster status.

They don't get the 2 drop until after the Corrupted Shredder is dead, though. It's still pretty terrible.

ZealousD

You could print a vanilla 4 mana 6/3 and it wouldn't see any play. Nevermind one that gave your opponent a 2-drop.

Apathy

I just meant that that being instantly killed by a pit snake feels worse

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I hope there's an evil Annoy-o-Tron.

It steals Taunts and Divine Shield from other units. Its normally a vanilla 3 mana 2/3, and its battle cry is to Steal Divine Shield and Taunt from all units, and gain it for each one he took.

Oh wait sorry, corrupted cards can't be good, silly me. Ok, he is a 4 mana 2/4 with taunt and divine shield.

ZealousD

Oh wait sorry, corrupted cards can't be good, silly me. Ok, he is a 4 mana 2/4 with taunt and divine shield.

That actually sounds like a pretty good card to me...better than annoy-o-tron actually

Top Bottom