• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT5| Corrupted Deeprock Salt

Werd

Not sure I'm going to like the meta any more after this, doesn't seem to address much though obviously its impossible to know exactly what will happen. But I will say at least that card to card the designs mostly seem pretty solid with some interesting ideas.

Dahbomb

If anything this expansion is going to make things worse. Lots of meta game enablers in this set. And by that I mean cards that would fit straight into tempo/aggressive line ups.

JoeMartin

Only four interesting cards in the set I can see:

Naga Sea Witch
Animated Armor
Keeper of Uldaman
Bran Bronzebeard

And none of them have RNG tied to them, imagine that. Rest is RNG garbage and aggro enabling RNG garbage.

Doesn't seem anything worth real money guess im grinding gold again should not be too hard. Also do not like the theme it should have been Ulduar.

Naga sea witch is definitely the most interesting. Have to see it in play.

Also this challenge stone is light hearted fun. Wish there was a mode similar to it.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
So can we safely assume that this won't be another Naxxramas in terms of insane cards? Does Blizzard regret Naxx?

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
If anything this expansion is going to make things worse. Lots of meta game enablers in this set. And by that I mean cards that would fit straight into tempo/aggressive line ups.

Mounted Raptor, Unearthed Raptor, and Desert Camel can all go fuck themselves.

Dahbomb

Mounted Raptor, Unearthed Raptor, and Desert Camel can all go fuck themselves.
That 7/4 4 mana card as well. Aggro decks don't give a fuck about getting a random negative card added to their decks.. they will be finishing the game before it anyway. You play that 7/4 minion on 4 then you keep going face.

Isn't Mounted raptor just unreliable beast harvest golem?
It's a more aggressive Harvest Golem with the chance to summon a 2/4 minion on death. Harvest Golem used to be played in decks not too long ago.

Huge Toad > Bloodfen Raptor, yet more blatant power creep. Can't even make the excuse of them being different rarities.
LMAO I just realized this... absolutely disgusting.

"But it doesn't matter because Bloodfen Raptor was never really used to begin with".

Xanathus

So here are the cards I can see being played in constructed:
Forgotten Torch - Potential include in Freeze Mage as an additional removal which doesn't take away from your win conditions.
Rumbling Elemental - Potential to give Shaman a crazy way to take back tempo. They already have a fair number of Battlecry minions and the stats make it pretty sticky.
Mounted Raptor - Straight up a 3 mana Shredder. This is definitely an auto-replace with Shade of Naxxramas in Combo Druid. Can even trade evenly with Shredder because a lot of 1 mana minions can trade with 2 mana minions. The equivalent of Millhouse Manastorm would be Injured Kvaldir.
Unearthed Raptor - Potential for a variant of Oil Rogue where you play sticky minions like Creeper and Nerubian Egg which gives you a higher chance to have minions to get Oiled.
Brann Bronzebeard - Potential of being played in a Shaman deck together with Rumbling Elemental. Stats are a problem though because 4 health makes it fairly easy to remove.
Desert Camel - People keep saying that this is a Face Hunter card but I actually think this is more of a Midrange card due to it's stats. The idea is that you use this to bring out Webspinner onto the board so that you have more beasts on the board for synergy with Houndmaster and Ram Wrangler.

edit:
Keeper of Uldaman - Definitely an interesting choice in Midrange Paladin, but can't really fit into Secret Paladin. The only problem with it is that the 4 mana slot is super crowded already for Paladin, you might actually have to cut Murloc Knight for it.

Dahbomb

As much as I don't like the Discover mechanic, it is in fact a fairly powerful effect.

Especially that 1 mana Druid spell that allows you to pick a spell (I am assuming it only picks Druid spells). You can use it as another way to potentially get a combo piece.

Stuff like that is better to get random lethals out of nowhere. Or a clutch removal.

I know people compared it to Unstable Portal but it's a bit more skill intensive than it. Still bull shit RNG based but it will favor skilled players a lot more.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
The choices will present an obvious "best" candidate on average. Only rarely will a player's ability be really tested by Discover.

I really hate it. It's Unstable Portal/Shredder with a safety net.

They should be moving away from those kinds of effects, not doubling down!

Cat Party

Who cares about power creep when the cards becoming obsolete are cards that aren't used? Seriously. Power creep would be a problem ONLY if they were making better versions of cards that are already used.

ZealousD

The choices will present an obvious "best" candidate on average. Only rarely will a player's ability be really tested by Discover.

I really hate it. It's Unstable Portal/Shredder with a safety net.

They should be moving away from those kinds of effects, not doubling down!

They are costing the effect similarly to "draw a card" and it won't necessarily be the case that the card you discover is going to be better than a card in your deck.

The two raptors and the fucking camel are most problematic cards in this set, let's not kid ourselves here. These three cards alone are kind of souring me on this expansion right now.

They are costing the effect similarly to "draw a card" and it won't necessarily be the case that the card you discover is going to be better than a card in your deck.

True, but that card in your deck may not necessarily get drawn. So I think the costing is fine.

Who cares about power creep when the cards becoming obsolete are cards that aren't used? Seriously. Power creep would be a problem ONLY if they were making better versions of cards that are already used.

Who really cares about power creep anyway? People might get attached to the art on a card or something? But I don't think it really matters.

inky

The chat after this game is killing me
Mm84Hms.png

Parshias7

Who really cares about power creep anyway? People might get attached to the art on a card or something? But I don't think it really matters.

The only power creep we should be worried about are things like Mysterious Challenger and Piloted Shredder. Who cares if crappy Magma Rager gets replaced by still-crappy Ice Rager?

The only power creep we should be worried about are things like Mysterious Challenger and Piloted Shredder. Who cares if crappy Magma Rager gets replaced by still-crappy Ice Rager?

I think that is more of an issue with balance.

Meanwhile lol at that Dreadsteed reaction.

qq4xzo06rpc.gif

Not what a secret paladin wants to see.

jgminto

I'm expecting Entomb to be a really good tool for Priest against Control Warrior. Stealing Alex and getting value off the battlecry would be so good, or stuff like Gromm when you're in fatigue.

ZealousD

I'm expecting Entomb to be a really good tool for Priest against Control Warrior. Stealing Alex and getting value off the battlecry would be so good, or stuff like Gromm when you're in fatigue.

Entomb feels like an awkward edge case between PW:D and Mind Control. PW:D is better as an early answer and Mind Control has better value. Entomb tries to play the middle. I'm not so sure it'll see play.

Top Bottom