• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT5| Corrupted Deeprock Salt

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Did nobody post the new Paladin card? I'm on mobile and can't post it right now. Seems likely every class has one now.

bRPWkrn.png

Tagyhag

I like Ben Brode, he seems like a great guy.

...But he doesn't have the smartest ideas when it comes to balancing.

I wouldn't be surprised if Paladin was his favorite class as well.

Forbidden Healing seems absolutely nuts for control Paladin, and maybe even midrange Paladin too.

So I guess that pretty much confirms each class is getting a "forbidden" card.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Did nobody post the new Paladin card? I'm on mobile and can't post it right now. Seems likely every class has one now.

First card that could maybe replace the Sludge Belcher/Healbot defensive cards.

I've always found the hardest part of playing against aggro is managing tempo and heals, so nice to have help from that, though I'm still not sure flexibility is valued enough in this game to be worth even the tiniest drawback. Palidan already has a ton of good heal cards to choose from that maybe aren't as flexible, but are a lot better for both card draw and tempo.

Fireblend

Banned
Never BM guys.

Some dumb priest got King Krush from Paletress which gave him lethal, BM'd me by attacking one of my minions instead, and I beat him on the next turn. Felt good.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
18 or 20 heal late game is more than OK in my opinion.

At the cost of an entire turn without any board state change at all when the opponent has enough mana to throw out big legendaries every turn?

Palidan late game heals really isn't the problem, and giving him more isn't going to solve anything.

jgminto

Forbidden Healing could be good for running a one-of to fill the Healbot spot in standard. It seems like the card that requires the most thought to use of the Forbidden theme so far when dividing mana between minions and healing.

Tarazet

They are zero mana spells. There is nothing to reduce. The text says to use up your remaining mana.

I thought there was something about cards storing negative cost, so that if you had a Backstab and had a Thaurissan proc, then Loatheb was played against you, it would cost 4 instead of 5.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Forbidden Healing seems really bad when you use it early. I feel like you really want to hold onto that card until it gets to the later turns. Even at 5 mana it only heals for 10, which is 2 health more than Healbot but you don't get the 3/3 body either.

I thought there was something about cards storing negative cost, so that if you had a Backstab and had a Thaurissan proc, then Loatheb was played against you, it would cost 4 instead of 5.

Well that's true, but I think the question was whether or not cost reducing effects would have any effect on the forbidden cards and I would assume they wouldn't. The spell is zero mana and says that it exhausts your mana and does the effect accordingly. So if you have Sorc's Apprentice on board and you play the mage spell at 4 mana, the spell will still do 4 damage because you only had 4 mana available. Now if you're at 10 mana and somebody plays Loatheb and you had Sorc's Apprentice I would imagine you would pay 4 upfront cost and then get 6 damage off the spell.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Forbidden Healing could be good for running a one-of to fill the Healbot spot in standard. It seems like the card that requires the most thought to use of the Forbidden theme so far when dividing mana between minions and healing.

Though it'd be a fairly big downgrade to the healbot trading a 3/3 minion for a 2 mana heal. Aggro probably needs to be nerfed more to make it a fair trade.

Oh shit the rogue forbidden spell is going to be a ridiculous weapon buff that will be the oil replacement won't it?

Could just give a minion +1 attack for every mana crystal used.

Druid could summon a 0/1 minion with battlecry gain +1/+1 for every mana crystal used.

Dahbomb

The use of skill requirement is relative. There's no deck that requires 0 skill to play even face decks.

Aside from decks that ONLY go to face as their main strategy, I do not believe there is a single deck that is easier to pilot than Secret Paladin. Yes you need some skill to pilot it (just like you need skill to pilot Face Hunter or Face Shaman) but that deck carries bad players the most.

Brode talked about players making Legend with that deck.... how does he explain the bots getting Legendary with Secret Paladin and having the highest win rate among all botted decks? That to me is the definition of auto pilot... a deck so strong by itself and requires such minimal effort that bots can get to legend with it.

https://m.reddit.com/r/hearthstone/comments/3q3r8l/analysis_secret_paladin_bots/

This is just standard Blizzard PR lip service talking about everything is awesome and varied.

Tarazet

When you’re playing Secret Paladin against Face Hunter, as an example, when do you decide to be aggressive, and when do you start trading with minions? Those are hard decisions, and those decision points change through the course of the game.

No, that's not trivial and binary at all. Certainly not compared to decisions like whether to coin out a Fiery War Axe or wait a turn to play it on curve.. which can make or break a lot of matchups. Or whether to use Inner Rage as direct removal, or a buff. Or whether to use Battle Rage with one damaged minion, or try and get more because you didn't draw your Acolytes and you're probably going to be topdecking. Or whether your enemy has something that can remove one or both Patrons on turns 5, 6, and so on. Nope, not at all. Paladin's totally just as hard to play.

Danj

Hunter really isn't working for me this month, I'm back down to rank 19 already. :(

Time to try a different class I guess.

Xanathus

Forbidden Healing is great card for a similar reason as the Priest card as a Wild Pyromancer activator but because it's just pure healing it'll probably just be a 1 off. The card itself is good but the problem is that Control Paladin is a lot weaker without the Murloc combo with Murkeye.

Furo

Whats wrong on the ladder atm?
Have the worst run in constructed ever, normally I am around rank 4 to 5 at this time in the month, with multiple legend finishes, but right now I just dropped to 14 lolwut. I even played combo druid yesterday (which I rarely play because zZz) and went 0-10. Regardless of the class or deck I wasn`t getting a single winstreak, what are you guys playing?

Time to throw my cards into the thrash I guess...

greepoman

I really don't get how every pally has MC by turn 6 and I can play a miracle rogue and mulligan for auctioneer and still not have it by turn 6 in 10 straight games. Switch to mill rogue and same thing with cold lights. I swear blizz is rigging these draw percentages against decks they don't like.

Paladin one is indeed garbage but the priest one is OK and the mage card is fantastic.

I'd argue the priest card is terrible too, because there is no way in the world you could fit it into a Priest deck.

The mage card seems to be the real contentious one. I think as a low mana cost card, arcane missiles is going to be better. As a high mana cost card, you might as well go with flame lance.

Most of the time you'll just end up pinging some 3/2 aggro piece of crap for 8 mana or something equally awful.

If it could go face? Yep, fantastic. But you can't, so I don't see it.

fertygo

Forbidden paladin is the best one. The flexibility is great. Its work great for little filler curve and massive heaĺ if you need it

Wilĺ auto include tieŕ at arena to disturb burst face attack behind taunt.

Forbidden paladin is the best one. The flexibility is great. Its work great for little filler curve and massive heaĺ if you need it

So either holy light or tree of life? Two cards that get exactly no play.

I think the main problem with judging cards is that it is often done in isolation. You only have 30 of them, so what might seem good has to take the place of something else. Once it does? Suddenly it doesn't look quite so good.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
So either holy light or tree of life? Two cards that get exactly no play.

I think the main problem with judging cards is that it is often done in isolation. You only have 30 of them, so what might seem good has to take the place of something else. Once it does? Suddenly it doesn't look quite so good.

Holy Light saw play before Antique Healbot was a thing. And the card is also nothing like Tree of Life? Doesn't heal your opponent.

Holy Light saw play before Antique Healbot was a thing. And the card is also nothing like Tree of Life? Doesn't heal your opponent.

Holy light didn't see much play and that was when there were far fewer cards to choose from. There are many, many more options these days. Again, you can only pick 30 of them.

A big heal is exactly like tree of life. It does nothing to the board and costs a heap of mana. It might buy you an extra turn, but your opponent is already in a much stronger position.

fertygo

You only have 30 card its exactly why you play this card you dont always can use all your mana. This card does that. Filling yoùr curve is never bad thing and many game decided on that

What if on torn 13 you only have yeti or boulderfist.. what you use for the rest of curve? Etc

If your argument card is limited why you questioning card that can fill in alot of scenario?

Top Bottom