• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT5| Corrupted Deeprock Salt

I feel like the game has been balanced around 30 HP. Warriors already kinda break that, if the HP was increased to 40 then games would be longer and Control decks could stabilize.
Cards like Molten Giant would have to be changed, etc

But it seems like that might be a good thing if the power creep of the game has sped things up too much. We're not really playing under the same '30 health pace' that we used to. It would be pretty easy to proportionally alter cards (i.e. Alex to 20 health). But on the other hand, hero powers become seriously untuned and there's the potential to skew things too far in control's favor.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Rogue would have to be revamped. Considering what few new tools they've gotten over the last year to make that 30 damage, a baseline of 40 health is pretty much a death sentence.

How do people feel about increasing Hero Health as a way to deal with some of these problems?

It's more a matter of the types of cards that Blizzard designs as opposed to control being too weak or aggro being too strong. The best decks aren't even strictly aggro at the moment, they just get ahead and never lose the lead, even if hunter can kill you 6 turns faster than Paladin and druid can kill you from an empty board.

It's just that the card designs are generally so damn boring on the low end, you either want value from stickiness or you want an immediate effect like charge, there aren't low curve cards that really facilitate any other playstyle or win condition. I can see it being difficult for Blizzard to design low-cost cards that are strong, but also don't add power inflation to the early game like they have for the past couple of expansions. The warsong nerf seems like they're preparing for more of the game to head in that direction, since they don't need to consider the 3-attack problem the card presents.

I dunno, I feel like the problem is that Blizzard has always been semi-dismissive of what people want and obnoxiously stubborn on issues across all their games, Diablo III is a good example.

Someone suggested something similar to a PTR (Public Test Realm) that they used on WoW yesterday for Hearthstone. But again, once something goes live on PTR there is a 90% chance that is going to be implemented no matter what people say. For instance, there are very rarely raid bosses that are released that are functionally impossible. That's a rare occurrence outside of a few Vanilla bosses. Quite a few require some tuning, though.

manhack

Rogue would have to be revamped. Considering what few new tools they've gotten over the last year to make that 30 damage, a baseline of 40 health is pretty much a death sentence.

On the flip side it is fun beating the shit out of face hunter with Pirate Rogue

Dahbomb

Increasing health is not the correct way to fix the issue.

Increasing HP does not make Mysterious Challenger or Dr Balanced less over powered. All it does is make cards and strategies around burst,heal and burn cards to be less effective. You are also opening yourself up to the rise of Fatigue decks as being really strong and you really do not want that. Fatigue decks are the other extreme of Hearthstone, be careful what you wish for.

Owzers

i had to get my 5 win Rogue daily quest through Brawl because i don't have a decent rogue deck....this brawl is so slow.

Tagyhag

"Oh sweet, only need 30 more gold for another arena run, hopefully I at least win once"

Tried Paladin for the first time, thought I had an alright deck with the cards I had been given. My first 3 opponents were mythical beasts whipped and trained by Amaz himself in the ways of the topdeck and conditioned to laugh at the RNG gods.

Lost the first 2 matches overwhelmingly, won my third one through the skin of my teeth. Afterwards won a ridiculous Paladin vs Paladin match that was decided by fatigue. Lost my final life to another topdeck.

Got 50 dust.

Just, fuck my shit up Blizzard.

manhack

5coEOEV.jpg

Dahbomb

It's not and I have played Pirate Rogue a lot. The minions aren't sticky enough to compete with the crap that other players are putting out.

However once in a while you get a god draw into god Ship's Cannon into insane tempo lead.

LMAO @ Shaman tier. And yeah Midrange Paladin is pretty strong at the moment because of the Justicar allowing the deck to pump out minions and get consistent value from double Quartermaster.

Also WTF @ Miracle Mage. That's literally just Tempo Mage with one Gadgetan Auctioneer in it.

manhack

It's not and I have played Pirate Rogue a lot. The minions aren't sticky enough to compete with the crap that other players are putting out.

However once in a while you get a god draw into god Ship's Cannon into insane tempo lead.

Pirate rogue isn't really good, hence the Matrix meme. However, for some reason I am 14-6 with pirate rogue over the last 2 hours and win streaking to rank 14 from 19 where I started playing it.

:D

Yeah I messed with Pirate Rogue a bit and it didn't work for me either without god-level draw.

Pirate rogue isn't really good, hence the Matrix meme. However, for some reason I am 14-6 with pirate rogue over the last 2 hours and win streaking to rank 14 from 19 where I started playing it.

:D

That is cool! It feels like it could be a really fun deck to play, losing just sucked all the fun out of it for me.

Miletius

I know people complain about the stale meta but looking at the meta snapshot there seems to be a lot of variation among the decks, assuming you account for more than just T1 decks. Between the tiers there I feel there is a lot of room to play more "skilled" decks, whatever your definition of that may be.

Oil rogue is a lot of fun and pretty good against the paladin meta right now. Been playng Mobius' variation with replacing VC with another oil, since I don't have VC. I can't claim to be great at it, but I'm climbing and it's a lot of fun, Rogue is one of the more fun classes in the game because of insane tempo shifts on a turn by turn basis. Also been playing control priest. It's less good against paladin but it's great against face hunter. Between the two there's still a lot of fun to be had in Hearthstone.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
It is interesting that the subreddit has so suddenly turned into like 98% anger and doom/gloom. It's always been pretty depressing but it did have a very recent worsening.

I can't say I entirely disagree with many of the complaints, but it's interesting to see.

Yep. he gets a few things wrong, like calling Darkbomb bad.

And complaining about ice rager and that stronger booty bay guard... I mean, if these were actually played cards that were rares or epics... then maybe there is something to shame blizzard for.

Honestly, he sounds like a random rager on the bliz official forums, minus the bigotry, homophobic slurs, all caps, and ... more... which is the only reason I watched parts of the video.

But seriously... he calls the game deeply broken. He says a player cannot make a new deck to navigate the meta game. I just don't think he understands card games and thinks he is a pro because he hit rank 5.

And complaining about ice rager and that stronger booty bay guard... I mean, if these were actually played cards that were rares or epics... then maybe there is something to shame blizzard for.

What he said made sense though, they set a dangerous precedent and if Blizz ever wanted to do a mass re balance they would be awkward

hahahahahahah they would never fucking do that.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
The precedence was set by Mad Scientist, Piloted Shredder, and Boom.

And now Mysterious Challenger.

Ice Rager and the other guy have fuck all to do with it.

i just played a druid that innervated out imp master. played harvest golem and living roots, and then killed me b/c he had double savage roar

Dahbomb

We have talked about Ice Rager/Evil Heckler so many times and so many videos/reddit threads have been made on it that it's not even worth talking about it anymore.

It was a shitty thing to do and it set a bad precedence for the game but it doesn't really impact the game's balance. No one ever said that those cards would crush the meta but their existence is still a blight on the game... just in a different way than those other cards are.

zoukka

Ice Rager and Heckler have 0.0% effect on hearthstone. Imagine people complaining when MTG printed a zombie that was better than Scathe Zombies! Oh the agony and power creep!

Dahbomb

Next expansion Blizzard releases better version of all their classic minions.

5/5 Frosty Yeti
6/5 King of the Arena
4/3 The OG Argent Commander
3/3 Sungod Protector
etc.

mike23

It's amazing how in their effort to make the communication safe in matches by limiting it to 6 phrases is still completely useless when it comes to stopping people from being assholes. It'd be better if you could just talk in a chat and have them revoke chat privileges/ban people.

Call me sensitive, but when some douche bag with a top tier deck and a alt hero at rank 20 emotes "oops" after every card I drop or action I take, it makes me crazy. Squelching them obviously stops that, but it doesn't make it feel less like shit the first several times. This is why I usually avoid playing ranked for the first week or two of the month.

They should keep track of how many times each player is squelched and allow people to auto-squelch over a certain threshold or something.

Or just ban people who are poisonous to the game. Nothing is quite as welcoming to newer players than BMing douche bags.

/rant

Also, holy fuck. Rank 20 matches and you're going to Lifecoach me the whole game?

Top Bottom