• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT6| C'THUN for President! Why pick the lesser evil?

ViviOggi

It's not that worst, but any class that's not Mage, Paladin or Rogue pretty much has to get an insane draft to go above 10 wins (with an ordinary player, not counting the 0.1% like Hafu).

Warrior is generally regarded as tied with Druid in LoE, imo it's the more consistent of the two. Any draft needs to be insane to overcome the flood of braindead Paladin fucks and go 10+.

CoolOff

What's your deck? I plan on trying to build a Dreadlock deck in Standard.

b6SU2yV.png

+ a Malganis.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
The difference with cult is if they remove it you don't get to draw, so you have to play if the turn after you get your minions on board, to be safe. With this, you can give them the buff immediately

Both are bad from behind but infest is literally a dead card where cultist can atleast be dropped from hand even if it feels bad. Hunter has never been able to hold a board well so cultist/infest would mainly trigger off unleash combo.

Catvoca

Banned
Warrior is generally regarded as tied with Druid in LoE, imo it's the more consistent of the two. Any draft needs to be insane to overcome the flood of braindead Paladin fucks and go 10+.

Yeah, that's true. I feel like a good player can overcome the Paladins with only a slightly above average draft and some good RNG with Rogue or Mage though, their class cards and hero powers are just so strong. With other classes like Warrior or Druid I need those insane decks just to compete in the higher ranks.

fertygo

Hunter always have trouble having minion on the board, usually they die in one turn after

its so bad in most of the time you get Houndmaster buff from Highmane corpse

Paladin 2 drop can kill two of your minion

looooooooool

Yeah I'm glad they gone
Depends on your minions.

Mini-Shieldbot trades evenly with a lot of 2-drops like Haunted Creeper and Unstable Ghoul. It even trades evenly with some 1-drops like Dragon Whelp and Zombie Chow.

Dinskugga

Damn so annoying Mill rouges is.(coldlight oracle go to hell) Sure out of 10 matches i win 8-9 but still. its so damn anoying and boring to play those matches. they take forever....

and the sad part are that i have meet too many with this deck the last days. Are this deck back?

because i havent meet any in some time before this weekend.

Acerac

Banned
The worst thing in Arena is getting dust or crappy cards instead of gold for your prize. :(

At this point I'm more upset if I see a GvG pack... though yeah, a common card is real ugly.

They are going to stop offering those as rewards once standard rotates in, right?

Sacrificial Pact is like...the perfect candidate for a card that should let you draw when you use it. Cycle a minion and heal 5? I would put that in a deck.
At this point I'm more upset if I see a GvG pack... though yeah, a common card is real ugly.

They are going to stop offering those as rewards once standard rotates in, right?

I actually like that Arena gives me GvG packs still. It's cool. Will Arena still give GvG packs post-Standard? I hope so, because I can't justify spending gold on them, but they're nice side rewards.

Dust I can take it

an dupe common card is worst shit you can get
20 dust is a rare, but 50 gold is half a pack. So it's like a worst case scenario dust reward from a pack, and a pack often gives you better than just one rare.

I am up from 20 dust to 110 dust, and now I am not infinite in Arena anymore. :(

fertygo

this why I only play arena at my 2nd choice server for time being

Apathy

haha, priest vs priest, who's driving my shredder but none other than lorewalker cho. My opponent could have just pained it but he for some reason decided to pain my elise.I just had so many minions and no spells, his whole hand must have been spells because at turn 6 he just conceded

Ridli

I'm getting worried with people not liking it, why is that? I really hope this will be a game that will last me a while unlike other games I drop within an hour.

Man don't get discouraged. HearthGAF has a pretty high ratio of tilt posts. A pretty popular post template is "I just lost to X, clearly X is OP!"

One of the things that contributes to this is that in order to make meaningful progress in the game, you have to get wins. There are very few things that reward a player just for queueing into a match and playing their best, which is a shame. As a result it is very easy for players to get super stressed, blow things a little out of proportion, or get sucked into a downward spiral where everything is terrible.

Just be mindful of that, take a break when you're feeling blue, and you'll be fine.

Tacitus_

Arena deck rank: almost constructed
8cj7TG4.png

he duplicated my flamewaker on t8 and conceded
didn't even get to play my rhonin T_T

Man don't get discouraged. HearthGAF has a pretty high ratio of tilt posts. A pretty popular post template is "I just lost to X, clearly X is OP!"

One of the things that contributes to this is that in order to make meaningful progress in the game, you have to get wins. There are very few things that reward a player just for queueing into a match and playing their best, which is a shame. As a result it is very easy for players to get super stressed, blow things a little out of proportion, or get sucked into a downward spiral where everything is terrible.

Just be mindful of that, take a break when you're feeling blue, and you'll be fine.
I still hate Reno.

Arena deck rank: almost constructed
8cj7TG4.png

he duplicated my flamewaker on t8 and conceded
didn't even get to play my rhonin T_T
That's the opposite of my deck from earlier. Couldn't get a single spell outside of Cone of Cold. No joke. All of the minions were junk, too. I was amazed that I went 4-3 with it from smart play and a few terrible opponents.

I feel like N'zoth would provide more jobs. And I don't know much about the other gods at this point, because I guess C'thun never lets them speak at debates. So I think I'll vote for N'zoth. On the plus side, C'thun just hands himself out to everyone for free. N'zoth is the premium presidential candidate.

Depends on your minions.

Mini-Shieldbot trades evenly with a lot of 2-drops like Haunted Creeper and Unstable Ghoul. It even trades evenly with some 1-drops like Dragon Whelp and Zombie Chow.

The problem is that Shielded Minibot either wins or trades evenly against other 2 drops(and even lots of 3 drops), is there any 2 drop that wins versus it? I don't think so.

Danj

Yeah this. Getting back up after a string of losses is a long grindy slog. There's no "back in the game" incentive or reward to help you on your way, so you just gotta take a break and come back to it another time when you're not feeling so pissed off.

You will also feel like there is some secret way to win that higher ranked players are not telling you. If there is, then they don't even seem to know what it is either because I have asked on here. I still think it is weird that there is such a sharp dividing line around rank 15, and I do wonder if there's something that people above that rank know that people below it don't, but certainly nobody seems able to articulate what that might be.

Tacitus_

I still hate Reno.

That's the opposite of my deck from earlier. Couldn't get a single spell outside of Cone of Cold. No joke. All of the minions were junk, too. I was amazed that I went 4-3 with it from smart play and a few terrible opponents.

This is my deck:

xlbDP4D.png

It's a pretty good deck, though I wouldn't be at 8-0 without a couple asspulls like topdecking flamestrike after getting a soot spewer from my scarab the previous turn. Though that asspull didn't even feel bad since it was vs a paladin that had a chow minibot muster opening.

You will also feel like there is some secret way to win that higher ranked players are not telling you. If there is, then they don't even seem to know what it is either because I have asked on here. I still think it is weird that there is such a sharp dividing line around rank 15, and I do wonder if there's something that people above that rank know that people below it don't, but certainly nobody seems able to articulate what that might be.

Steps to success:

Pick strong deck.

Understand how that deck works. What is it's strategy for surviving against different archetypes and scenarios. What is its long term strategies for ultimately finishing off your opponent, and how does it do that.

Mulligan well. <- much more difficult than just mulliganing for low curve cards btw

Understand your opponent's deck the best you can. Identifying what it is is perhaps the first thing your brain should be trying to figure out after mulligan.

Use your mana efficiently each turn. General rule, use up all your mana each turn making reasonable plays.

Identify the way your opponent is trying to win and the way you will win. Sometimes this determines whether you should trade or go face. And you do this almost every single turn. When there are multiple choices for a turn, you try to figure out what has the highest chance of succeeding.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I still hate Reno

Tale joy in the fact that renolock basically cannot beat druid. Actually stopped me from playing the deck due to seeing it so often for now.

The problem is that Shielded Minibot either wins or trades evenly against other 2 drops(and even lots of 3 drops), is there any 2 drop that wins versus it? I don't think so.

Flame juggler is the only one I can think of and it comes down to him being a random piece of shit.

Ridli

Another often misunderstood key to high ladder success is time. Very few people actually have the time required to ladder from 5 to Legend. Unless you have an incredible winrate (over 60%). It's going to take a huge number of games to progress in higher ranks.

Pachimari

I think New player like me, kars, and Madrid won't understand the "frustration" of older player lol

I do personally frustrated can't climbing the ladder because currently trapped in awkward state must playing against those OP staple card from Naxx/GVG but I still kinda sad those card rotated out before I have decent time putting hand on it.

I'd like playing current zoolock, control warrior priest with their staple card like voidcaller/implosion, deathbite, etc, there's a lot of BS card but a lot of cool thing is gone without replacement.

Are you on Discord? And EU or US? Didn't realize you were new to the game as well.

And how do I see what rank I am? And what is BSM?

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Another often misunderstood key to high ladder success is time. Very few people actually have the time required to ladder from 5 to Legend. Unless you have an incredible winrate (over 60%). It's going to take a huge number of games to progress in higher ranks.

Hell I don't even like to put forth the time necessary to get to Rank 5.

Pachimari

Yeah sorry. I saw it on mobile and meant to update it when I got home, but I forgot.

I'm new to this app. Is there an instant invite link you can share or something?

I'll get right back to you when I got it. It's in one of my earlier posts.

[edit] It's here:

Guys, remember our Discord channel. It's for chatting and helping each other out 24/7. We are already 20 members in there but could need more. You can download Discord here.

That's a fine deck!

Let me see...
http://www.hearthpwn.com/cards?filter-premium=1&filter-cost-val=2&filter-cost-op=3&display=3

Argent Lance if you win the Joust (lol).
Sap? Kind of?
Flame Juggler!
Mad Bomber with godlike RNG.
Nerubian Egg?

Damn, that's a short list with nothing guaranteed. Minibot OP!

I feel like N'zoth would provide more jobs. And I don't know much about the other gods at this point, because I guess C'thun never lets them speak at debates. So I think I'll vote for N'zoth. On the plus side, C'thun just hands himself out to everyone for free. N'zoth is the premium presidential candidate.
Your decision is premature. There are two candidates we haven't even heard about yet!

Steps to success:

Pick strong deck.

Understand how that deck works. What is it's strategy for surviving against different archetypes and scenarios. What is its long term strategies for ultimately finishing off your opponent, and how does it do that.

Mulligan well. <- much more difficult than just mulliganing for low curve cards btw

Understand your opponent's deck the best you can. Identifying what it is is perhaps the first thing your brain should be trying to figure out after mulligan.

Use your mana efficiently each turn. General rule, use up all your mana each turn making reasonable plays.

Identify the way your opponent is trying to win and the way you will win. Sometimes this determines whether you should trade or go face. And you do this almost every single turn. When there are multiple choices for a turn, you try to figure out what has the highest chance of succeeding.
Good advice. There are still decks I'm trying to understand how to win against with Patron Warrior, like Control Warrior.

Tale joy in the fact that renolock basically cannot beat druid. Actually stopped me from playing the deck due to seeing it so often for now.

Flame juggler is the only one I can think of and it comes down to him being a random piece of shit.
I keep playing these smart Reno players that won't go below 16 health without using Reno, and 14 health is my burst kill point thanks to Grom. :-(

I've started to run Shades in my Patron Warrior deck to help with the situation. I actually coined one on turn 2 on my last match to help counter Reno through hiding more burst, but he used Demonwrath immediately. My second Shade was the second to the last draw in the deck, and I actually went into fatigue against him. :(

Pachimari

I haven't even made a deck yet, other than that one time I had to do so in Arena to earn Gold. But it doesn't matter right now anyway, as I'm in the process of levelling everyone up to lvl 10.

The minibot question got me thinking about something else, would minibot have been bad if it was just a 2/1 with Divine Shield? I can't really think of many matchups in which it's suddenly way weaker, of course he can be finished off via ping but I feel like it would've actually been a fair card at 2/1.

I haven't even made a deck yet, other than that one time I had to do so in Arena to earn Gold. But it doesn't matter right now anyway, as I'm in the process of levelling everyone up to lvl 10.
:)

The minibot question got me thinking about something else, would minibot have been bad if it was just a 2/1 with Divine Shield? I can't really think of many matchups in which it's suddenly way weaker, of course he can be finished off via ping but I feel like it would've actually been a fair card at 2/1.
Anno-o-tron is 1/2 taunt divine shield, so I think 2/1 divine shield is fair, especially since there's a 3/1 divine shield. It would still be one of the better 2-drops to play, but it would be easier to counter through other cards.

Tacitus_

IMO Minibot would've been fine if 1) there were more playable 2/3 minions and 3) muster didn't exist or give you the weapon for finishing off the 2/3s

I'm biased, but you should start with a zoo warlock when you start laddering. It's easy to learn, hard to master, cheap, and teaches you a lot about the game. 2nd choice would be a F2P mage. Here are a bunch of F2P decks by Trump (watch Trump Teaches too!). They're really outdated, but run mostly off the basic and vanilla cards and are cheap to make.

Dahbomb

Argent Lance if you win the Joust (lol).
Sap? Kind of?
Flame Juggler!
Mad Bomber with godlike RNG.
Nerubian Egg?

Argent Lance is a weapon and weapons are designed to kill multiple minions. You have to take like 6 damage to remove a Minibot with Argent Lance over two turns... that's still pretty mediocre AND you have to win the Joust so it's not guaranteed.

Sap is one for one and doesn't kill Minibot. It goes even at best when it comes to tempo.... if a Rogue uses Sap on your Minibot then you are winning the game.

Mad Bomber only if it gets the perfect RNG and only if Minibot is the only other minion on the board. If Mad Bomber doesn't hit the Minibot once then Minibot gets a free kill.

Same thing with Flame Juggler only the odds are better here.

Nerubian Egg goes even with Minibot. 0/2 dies for free, 4/4 trades evenly with a Minibot. Yes... Minibot goes EVEN with a 4/4 minion.

Argent Lance is a weapon and weapons are designed to kill multiple minions. You have to take like 6 damage to remove a Minibot with Argent Lance over two turns... that's still pretty mediocre AND you have to win the Joust so it's not guaranteed.

Sap is one for one and doesn't kill Minibot. It goes even at best when it comes to tempo.... if a Rogue uses Sap on your Minibot then you are winning the game.

Mad Bomber only if it gets the perfect RNG and only if Minibot is the only other minion on the board. If Mad Bomber doesn't hit the Minibot once then Minibot gets a free kill.

Same thing with Flame Juggler only the odds are better here.

Nerubian Egg goes even with Minibot. 0/2 dies for free, 4/4 trades evenly with a Minibot. Yes... Minibot goes EVEN with a 4/4 minion.
I was just about to amend my post to remove the Egg - good post.

ViviOggi

IMO Minibot would've been fine if 1) there were more playable 2/3 minions and 3) muster didn't exist or give you the weapon for finishing off the 2/3s

I'm biased, but you should start with a zoo warlock when you start laddering. It's easy to learn, hard to master, cheap, and teaches you a lot about the game. 2nd choice would be a F2P mage. Here are a bunch of F2P decks by Trump (watch Trump Teaches too!). They're really outdated, but run mostly off the basic and vanilla cards and are cheap to make.
I wouldn't call Zoo hard to master but it does have a reasonable skill ceiling for an aggro deck. Requires you to keep track of more things than autopilot trash like Druid or Secredin (the absolute worst recommendation for someone looking to learn the game btw).

Tacitus_

I wouldn't call Zoo hard to master but it does have a reasonable skill ceiling for an aggro deck. Requires you to keep track of more things than autopilot trash like Druid or Secredin (the absolute worst recommendation for someone looking to learn the game btw).

Zoo is not (generally) aggro though. Gotta keep and leverage that board.

Dahbomb

But Ben Brode told me that it was a skill intensive deck.

ViviOggi

That topdick was pure bs but still not even close to Dog's chain-whiffs on Rogue......

Zoo is not (generally) aggro though. Gotta keep and leverage that board.
It's an aggressive tempo deck if you want to make that distinction, but it's pretty pointless as this describes almost the entire meta of contemporary Hearthstone

But Ben Brode told me that it was a skill intensive deck.
B0ppvyf.png

Ken

Watching the Asia-Pacific streams recently, I got an itch to try HS again. Do I have to buy the expansions to be competitive or am I able to just buy their cards through packs without owning the expansions?

Still confused what exactly the paid expansions are.

It's funny how Paladins have a certain reputation in WoW, too. How does it follow people around?

I recently started playing a Reno Mage deck and that shit is some of the most fun I've had playing this game. Games are long as fuck though.
Maybe it's fun because of the total lack of consequences for any of your early game decisions that Reno enables.

Watching the Asia-Pacific streams recently, I got an itch to try HS again. Do I have to buy the expansions to be competitive or am I able to just buy their cards through packs without owning the expansions?

Still confused what exactly the paid expansions are.

with the upcoming patch if you just want to play standard you don't need Naxx or GvG. Adventures are things like Naxx, BRM, and LoE where there are wings where you defeat AI bosses and get cards. Expansions like GvG, TGT, and the upcoming Old Gods are where you buy packs of 5 random cards.

You won't be able adventures that are over a year old which in this case is just Naxx when the new patch hits, but you can craft those cards instead

Top Bottom