• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT6| C'THUN for President! Why pick the lesser evil?

Ken

with the upcoming patch if you just want to play standard you don't need Naxx or GvG. Adventures are things like Naxx, BRM, and LoE where there are wings where you defeat AI bosses and get cards. Expansions like GvG, TGT, and the upcoming Old Gods are where you buy packs of 5 random cards.

Are the cards from the wings essential/are there staple cards in there? Trying to gauge how much I might have to spend getting back in.

Also when's the new patch?

ViviOggi

^ If you've got some leftover gold you'll want to grab the first wing of Naxx and BRM respectively before they're rotated out, that way you'll always have the option to purchase and play the rest of the adventures. Otherwise you'll only be able to craft those cards at standard dust cost which is a raw deal.

Maybe it's fun because of the total lack of consequences for any of your early game decisions that Reno enables.
LUL

Are the cards from the wings essential/are there staple cards in there? Trying to gauge how much I might have to spend getting back in.

Yes you usually get good return on the cards from the wings. You technically can buy each wing for 700 gold as well so you don't have to pay. It also depends on what type of deck you want to play but there are definitely good cards from the adventures.

Patch is late april early may I believe

./revy

Banned

Blackrock Mountain and League of Explorers are probably the first thing you want to get. Naxx too, if you end up enjoying the game and want to play Wild/Legacy one day.

Aside from that, probably buy Classic Packs if you have the change since they have most of the key cards for archetypes AND they never rotate out of Standard.

Not sure when the patch comes out, but I can't imagine it won't be in April with the current rate of the card reveals.

Every expansion has staple cards for various deck archetypes. Absolutely get at least ONE Naxx wing if you haven't already. The rest can be gotten at a F2P rate.

Ken

Blackrock Mountain and League of Explorers are probably the first thing you want to get. Naxx too, if you end up enjoying the game and want to play Wild/Legacy one day.

Aside from that, probably buy Classic Packs if you have the change since they have most of the key cards for archetypes AND they never rotate out of Standard.

Is Classic Packs the very first set of cards? I have a bunch of those I think; I dropped out before Naxx released.

traveler

Not Wario
Having a hard time making the final climb to Legend. Came back to the game this weekend after not playing for months and I'm at rank 2 now. Wanted to get to Legend for the first time just to do it before the end of the weekend but it's looking unlikely now. I'm thinking I might need to change decks since it feels like MC Pally is an auto loss to priests and patron warrior and pretty disfavored, though not terribly so, against druid. It's purely anecdotal, but most of the decks I see in the rank 1 - 5 matches are one of those.

I win the mirrors just fine- sitting around 70% on those- break about 50/50 against both reno lock and aggro lock, and probably hit 60% against midrange hunter, tempo mage, and freeze mage, but those decks just aren't showing up as much now.

I think without the experience playing another deck, though, I'd be more likely to lose trying to start one in the middle of the upper rank climb than if I were getting to know it at lower ranks, even if it is better positioned in the meta.

Kind of want to just give it a rest, but I know there's no way I'll spend this much time on the climb in the future, and I wanted to just wrap it all up before I ran it out of time this weekend.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Why do you guys think they're making Naxx unavailable?

Isn't it odd to get rid of stuff people could be paying for?

They said in a polygon interview they are going for the Disney Movie Strategy. Make them unavailable for a while, pull them "out of the vault", make money as people line up and buy it 'before it is gone'

I think its a stupid idea that won't work the way Blizzard wants it to.

It's funny how Paladins have a certain reputation in WoW, too. How does it follow people around?

Maybe it's fun because of the total lack of consequences for any of your early game decisions that Reno enables.
Dat salt.

But yeah that's probably it lol. Once I have ice block and Reno, I know it's gonna be a nice long game. And if I get off an Echo of Medivh or if they end up duplicating Reno, it just makes the game lol worthy

I think it's also just that I've never played a slow ass deck like this, so it's a nice change.

They said in a polygon interview they are going for the Disney Movie Strategy. Make them unavailable for a while, pull them "out of the vault", make money as people line up and buy it 'before it is gone'

They said they maybe want to do that. In fact iirc, it was more like they think it is a good idea and will explore the idea.

Ohhhhh. :-/

Dat salt.

But yeah that's probably it lol. Once I have ice block and Reno, I know it's gonna be a nice long game. And if I get off an Echo of Medivh or if they end up duplicating Reno, it just makes the game lol worthy

I think it's also just that I've never played a slow ass deck like this, so it's a nice change.
I feel you there.

gutshot

New card revealed by IGN:

Lightlord.jpg

http://m.ign.com/articles/2016/03/28/ign-reveals-a-new-legendary-hearthstone-card

I don't see how it's that much different than what Wizards of the Coast does with MtG. Seems like a decent way to go about it in a world where there is no secondary market.

That Ragnaros is a high quality work of ass. Why would you ever run it? Tuskar Jouster is just strictly more useful, right?

traveler

Not Wario
That seems... pretty bad. I guess a souped up sorta shieldmaiden could have its place in a defensive enough pally deck.

So Blizzard really is building up control/heal Paladin.

I don't think the card is bad at all. A bit expensive for an effect you can't really control but if none of your minions are damaged it's an essentially an 8/8 Healbot for 8 that has lasting value across multiple turns.

I'll be very curious to see if it gets any play. I think it could be on the cusp of being playable in a control Paladin that's main goal is to do nothing but outlast your opponent. The prospects are definitely improved in that BGH is gonna get the bat.

Dre

That's a really weird choice for a Paladin legendary. Lay on Hands can already be used to heal minions.
But I guess everything is better than Eadric.

So Blizzard really is building up control/heal Paladin.

I don't think the card is bad at all. A bit expensive for an effect you can't really control but if none of your minions are damaged it's an essentially an 8/8 Healbot for 8 that has lasting value across multiple turns.

I'll be very curious to see if it gets any play.

If it was just that, it would be fine. But it's an 8/8 for 8. Assuming no BGH nerf, it's still not fantastic because if it dies to removal you have effectively done nothing. It's so slow against Aggro, and I'd hesitate to play it over Lay on Hands which seems better in almost any situation where you absolutely need 8 life. I guess Turn 10 play Lightlord and taunt? Seems pretty awful.

Paladin still paying the tax on getting the best Legendary in the game.

Owzers

I made two bad plays in a row, one against aggro druid when i didn't clear and he savage roared, another against shaman when i was careless and didn't kill the spell dmg totem over the health one. It feels bad to lose because i did something dumb. EDIT: recovered vs the shaman, they ran out of steam despite mostly destroying me on the one turn i let that dmg totem live.

I made two bad plays in a row, one against aggro shaman when i didn't clear, another against shaman when i was careless and didn't kill the spell dmg totem over the health one. It feels bad to lose because i did something dumb.
I had a dumb one last night.

"Okay, so I just need to Inner Rage the Acolyte, hit the 4/3 to kill it, and then Inner Rage the 4/1 to clear."

*Inner Rages the 4/3*

...what was that, brain?

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Is Lightlord even a thing in WoW lore?

I know the old gods technically enslaved the Elemental Lords, so maybe Rag was the Lightlord before the Old Gods showed up? Or it could just a dumb "What If" card, and Ben Brode is just laughing away.

pantsmith

Why do you guys think they're making Naxx unavailable?

Isn't it odd to get rid of stuff people could be paying for?

IMO from a design perspective the bar to entry is pretty steep for a new player. Removing Naxx keeps new players from spending their gold or money on something that won't serve them as well as it used to, with the content getting phased out. It doesn't help that a ton of guides and soon to be outdated advice pointing people to save up and make it their first investment.

It's a bummer, because Naxx is great.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I actually think it has potential. He is basically a giant heal bot. Really feels like a Priest Card though.

greepoman

Since it's pally I'll just assume they'll also get a card like "2 mana 2/2...put all your minions that can heal directly in the battlefield".

fertygo

Ĺightlorď is prety solid considerig there's not much competition in 8 drop

His effect is much controlable than actual rag, could've paladin shieldbearer if you càn use 2

Lightlord probably the best card in all of Arena.

I know the old gods technically enslaved the Elemental Lords, so maybe Rag was the Lightlord before the Old Gods showed up? Or it could just a dumb "What If" card, and Ben Brode is just laughing away.
Kind of silly. Go up to someone and say "Okay, you're enslaved now, and you're going to be fire because I said so!"

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I think Pally Rag looks solid, but it all depends on a BGH nerf. If he's the same then nope.

If you're at full hp he could keep healing himself.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Lightlord probably the best card in all of Arena.

Kind of silly. Go up to someone and say "Okay, you're enslaved now, and you're going to be fire because I said so!"

"The Old Gods corrupted the light of purity into the flames of chaos"

There, that fits pretty well I think.

Top Bottom