• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT7/7| _ Give Tyrande | _ Blizzard: Give Amazon Money

Status
Not open for further replies.

zoukka

Yeah if you have to play Silverware with mana, it's terribad and could lose you the game. The 1-mana 1/3 is never super bad.

fertygo

Fool Bane help for warrior biggest weakness to against DeathRaťtle sticky minion Highmane is less scary with this and for biģ part this will help against shaman, zoolock and hunter that like 50% of ladder I guesss buþ yeáh I doñ't think it§ played that much but wont surprised if ìts became bigger hit than expected 12 damage is noť small and meta actually fit for this weapon
Silverware is RNG doe. Imp gives you guaranteed value (sometimes golem does too if it's the only card in your hand).
I think pro is thinking too much of RNG factor in zoolock you will get many oppòrtunity that golem gonna the only card left when you cast soulfire or drop doomguard that inssne the effect is far more desireàble than actually wànt to discard to get draw from imp

fertygo

LOl there really not that much RNG involvìng Silverware Golem... its just not. you gonna in position thát card is the only thing to discárd so fast in zoolock. that card gonna enable doomguard on curve much easier too.

Edit btw I'm typing on phone so sorry for some clunky wording.

bjaelke

Savjz' review was hilariously irrelevant.

"I could see this go in a Reno [class] deck."

---

qRPdBfE.png

Game Duration and Top Cards Played During WoToG

gutshot

I contacted Amazon customer service after waiting over 48 hours for my $10 credit and the rep gave it to me. Then just today I got an email saying I received my $10 credit for ordering Hay Day. So now I have $20 of Appstore credit.

Now I need to decide whether to spend it on Karazhan or buy some alternate heroes with it. Hmm...

JesseZao

I contacted Amazon customer service after waiting over 48 hours for my $10 credit and the rep gave it to me. Then just today I got an email saying I received my $10 credit for ordering Hay Day. So now I have $20 of Appstore credit.

Now I need to decide whether to spend it on Karazhan or buy some alternate heroes with it. Hmm...

I just got mine today as well. Definitely using it on the adventure.

greepoman

LOl there really not that much RNG involvìng Silverware Golem... its just not. you gonna in position thát card is the only thing to discárd so fast in zoolock. that card gonna enable doomguard on curve much easier too.

Edit btw I'm typing on phone so sorry for some clunky wording.

Here's the "pros" argument that I saw:
The RNG comes more from the fact you'd never keep doomguard or silverware golem in your opening hand and then you'd have to: 1) draw silverware golem and maybe lose tempo from not playing it 2) draw a discard card 3) have your hand be almost empty before you play it (there are quite a few times where you have to play the doomguard to keep board before your hand is empty).

So basically they're saying it's a situational card that's not worth the hassle in current zoo lock at least. I personally am on the fence.

Now I did agree with them saying you can just immediately put in the 1/3 demon in current zoo lock right in place of argent squire and you'd be happy even if you didn't use the effect at all. Then maybe run demonfire over juggler since you now run enough demons to get use of it.

Slashlen

Same thing happened to me. Going with free Karazhan.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
I'm having trouble finding motivation to play this game now, since the devs have proven that they don't give a fuck about game balance.

And no, making a game balanced is not the same as making it super imbalanced in a different way each time.

If fighting games can balance their casts of characters, and MOBAs can balance all their heroes and abilities, Blizzard can balance nine classes worth of cards.

They just don't give a fuck.

wiibomb

I did the same thing yesterday! and I feel so stupid, I received a mail today and had another $10, but since I wasted the money yesterday on 7 packs I kind of lost my chance for free karazhan... so stupid..

oh well, at least I have another account with other $10 from the promo

Dahbomb

Damn Kripp went hard on Purify and Blizzard.

I agree that Blizzard should not even put out an explanation for Purify unless it is to change the card or to admit they messed up.

inky

I agree that Blizzard should not even put out an explanation for Purify unless it is to change the card or to admit they messed up.

Kripp's been going in hard for a few videos now.

His coin vs no coin in Arena video was really damn interesting. I didn't realize the game had been going so steadily in that direction up to some classes having a 12% winrate difference. I mean, when you play the game you notice stuff like that with how powerful it is to play on curve, but I didn't realize it was so serious in some cases.

Edit: just to clarify, I don't know how accurate or precise the data is. I admit it might be a mistake to take it at face value when there's probably other variables and intangibles involved which would probably introduce some margin error in those numbers, but I think these are things that still can be noticed during regular play which are probably not being addressed as much or as effectively as they could.

i dont expect an answer from blizz about the priest cards. If there is a video, it's just gonna be brode rambling for 10 minutes that boils down to them not caring.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
That Kripp Purify video gives me life.

He goes in HELLA hard on them. Called them out for the shit tier design. I hope more people stop listening to the bullshit excuses Blizzard gives.

I know that I am refusing to buy this expansion for $ and will be telling anyone else that will listen to only pay gold. None of the cards seem like they will be meta defining the way Reno was (perhaps Barnes or the Druid Menagerie card but that's it), and although I'm sure the actual fights will be lots of fun, for cards like these $0 is the correct price.

greepoman

I saw some theory that originally purify was silence any minion and then they decided last minute that it was too strong and switched it to friendly only? I guess that might make more sense than just printing it how it is...though is it even that powerful if it can target anything?

Also not only do we need an explanation...we need the name of the designer of toe card and the manager who approved it so they can be publicly hanged.

And of course instead of fixing their mistake they are just gonna print a couple of 1 mana 30/30 priest minions that can't attack to push you to use purify.

Szadek

I saw some theory that originally purify was silence any minion and then they decided last minute that it was too strong and switched it to friendly only? I guess that might make more sense than just printing it how it is...though is it even that powerful if it can target anything?
Not very good. Silence is a 0 mana card that no ones plays and drawing a card is not worth 2 mana either.

Szadek

As we have seen with BRM a few cards are often enough to creat whole new decks.
The same could be true for this expansions as well. Beast druid is the most obvious condtender for that.

Purify is created for future sets that will give it synergy.

Just like Blade Flurry was nerfed so Rogue could get all the weapons this adventure is providing.

ViviOggi

As we have seen with BRM a few cards are often enough to creat whole new decks.
The same could be true for this expansions as well. Beast druid is the most obvious condtender for that.

It may be a new deck on paper but Beast Druid is the same degenerate tempo on curve garbage as the rest of the meta. None of the cards promise any exciting archetypes. Almost every deck that deviates from that norm has been eradicated over the past year. With the recent expansions, balance changes and Blizzard's design goals long-time players need to realize that if the game doesn't appeal to them now, it won't again for the foreseeable future (probably ever).

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Funny how damaging a single bad card can be to the game. Not because the game itself would be wildly different if replaced with a decent card, but because printing that card made people lose a ton of trust in the design team's ability to develop a balanced game.

There's just no good reason why that card should exist in that form. None at all.

I mean it's bad enough that a card like Purify exists, but for them to give it to the class that is by far in the greatest need of help is pathetic.

Dahbomb

They are trying to push Secrets Mage and Hunter deck along with Spell Shaman and Taunt Warrior. Plus of course Dragon Paladin, Discard Lock and Beast Druid. I don't even know what they are trying to push with Priest.

They also want you to be using decks with a lot of spells like Token Druid or Rogue/Tempo Mage decks. Issue is that between WoG and this adventure they didn't print a lot of cool spells, just a bunch of random spells that spam more creatures.

Oh and a literal Zoo deck.

It's a pretty half baked adventure with no unified theme. Some of the cards are pretty damn powerful where they are trying to force the meta that they want which is terrible design. We have seen this blunt force designing before and it always turns out bad like when they forced Secret Paladin deck on us by printing Mysterious Challenger or when they forced Deathrattle decks on us and printed Naxx.

Mulgrok

I really think they wanted to make Purify cost 1 mana, but felt it would be too OP if cost reduced by Emperor or shadow madness apprentice.

They are trying to push Secrets Mage and Hunter deck along with Spell Shaman and Taunt Warrior. Plus of course Dragon Paladin, Discard Lock and Beast Druid. I don't even know what they are trying to push with Priest.

They also want you to be using decks with a lot of spells like Token Druid or Rogue/Tempo Mage decks. Issue is that between WoG and this adventure they didn't print a lot of cool spells, just a bunch of random spells that spam more creatures.

Oh and a literal Zoo deck.

It's a pretty half baked adventure with no unified theme. Some of the cards are pretty damn powerful where they are trying to force the meta that they want which is terrible design. We have seen this blunt force designing before and it always turns out bad like when they forced Secret Paladin deck on us by printing Mysterious Challenger or when they forced Deathrattle decks on us and printed Naxx.

pretty much. None of the cards revealed look cool at all

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I feel like making a purify deck to just spite the haters. It's a bad card, but god damn you guys are beating it into the ground.

I bet I can get at least rank 10 with a deck built around the card.

Zemm

Ben Brode needs to be Jay Wilson'ed and put on some other blizzard game that he can't mess up, like Overwatch hat design or something.

Maximo

I was reasonably sure I'd be reinstalling for Karazhan, then they showed the rest of the cards....

After months of Hiatus (mainly due to Overwatch) im back just to join in the hilarity that is Purify and how garbage tier and *Interactive fun* these cards have been for this expansion.

V-Faction

Blizzard finally snapped trying to force Beast Druid. Maybe once that archetype achieves top tier status, they'll finally switch to a Restoration/Moonkin style Druid!

This expansion feels like them trying to refresh older concepts so the janky pieces separated by the Standard format won't completely dissolve. Like, Dragon tribes as a whole felt like they got a pick-me-up. A ton of little things here and there, such as Secrets, Spell Power, and Discard Warlock. It feels like TGT but in Expansion form.

Dahbomb

There are some exciting/interesting cards.

Medivh is cool, it's like a more playable Summoning Stone.

Curator is interesting because it enables some possibilities in particular combo decks.

Malchazaar is interesting too because it's a brand new mechanic.

The 3 mana 4/3 that makes you immune is very cool.

Arcane Giant is a welcome addition to the Giants library.

Moat Lurker (?) is an interesting mechanic too, I think first time we have a Deathrattle attached to a Battlecry.

Like yeah some of these may not be competitive but there are some interesting ideas in there. Though I would agree that it's not nearly enough. There are very few cards that make me go "wow I want to make a whole deck built around just this card!"

fertygo

The number of playable cards is ~10, but the number of exciting cards is ~0.

I guess I am happy to have Haunted Creeperer.

nah.. if you get into card game, no way you not excited about Curator.. its why peep like firebat so excited at first day reveal.

Spesific card draw is so good in card game, and its only the first time HS had it of course peep excited

Szadek

At this point it feels like the are running out of ideas.
I guess they also aren't allowed to make combo decks or board clears anymore either.

ViviOggi

There are some exciting/interesting cards.

Medivh is cool, it's like a more playable Summoning Stone.

Curator is interesting because it enables some possibilities in particular combo decks.

Malchazaar is interesting too because it's a brand new mechanic.

The 3 mana 4/3 that makes you immune is very cool.

Arcane Giant is a welcome addition to the Giants library.

Moat Lurker (?) is an interesting mechanic too, I think first time we have a Deathrattle attached to a Battlecry.

Like yeah some of these may not be competitive but there are some interesting ideas in there. Though I would agree that it's not nearly enough. There are very few cards that make me go "wow I want to make a whole deck built around just this card!"
I agree, they actually went into some of the mechanics people talked about over the years (neutral/spellcaster weapon, permanent deck effect and Moat Lurker is just great design). Thing is, they're attached to single, likely worthless cards and knowing Blizzard nothing will ever come of it.

NBtoaster

Here's one comment from a Blizzard dev on purify..

https://www.reddit.com/r/hearthston...te_design_and_balance_teams/d685jgw?context=3

We've had similar articles in the past about design stories for particular cards, I think the most recent one I remember discussed all the design iterations that Yogg went through. Card designs have a number of different goals, sometimes those goals are immediate competitive play and sometimes they shoot for something else. Things like flavor, arena viability, or sprinkling in tools for a new or existing archetype. In smaller sets, it can be a little risky to take a gamble on a new toolkit because there are fewer cards to work with. In the case of Priest, we were pretty happy with the amount of options the class was getting from neutral (Barnes, Curator*, Medivh, Dragon Cards) to do some testing with a new archetype that Purify could be a part of. In my mind there is some positive to the outcry over Purify because I think people will definitely try it out and report any successes/failures/stories they had building and playing a 'silence your own stuff' priest. None of this is to say anyone is wrong in their feedback, but just to communicate some of the ideas surrounding a card design. Hearthstone is important to all of us, and we're trying to do better in terms of communication and understanding what different communities (like this one) are most interested in. I've been happy to be here and have a conversation about what you all want from the game, thanks for being so passionate about it. :D

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
So they likely had cards that were good with Purify, those got nerfed/removed, and we are left with Barnes and Moat Lerker being the only new cards it sort of works with.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Purify doesn't introduce a new archytype they couldn't already do with the 0 mana silence already. People already evaluated the cards that you would want to self silence and the best case ancient watcher/eerie statue aren't even worth it. And beyond THAT the card isn't even flexible enough to silence the opponent's minion and cycle. The card will never see play and the only 'experimenting' people will do will be some dumb meme stuff that never takes off because it's just a boring concede deck where even when you draw the combos on curve right in order you'll still lose.

The one thing I do like is that this expansion still has a few Discover cards. That is easily the best mechanic blizzard have added to the game and they should do more with it. It's telling that inspire and joust have never been touched again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom