• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT7/7| _ Give Tyrande | _ Blizzard: Give Amazon Money

Status
Not open for further replies.

clav

The worst card shown is probably Ethereal Peddler and even that passes the vanilla test.

One thing people aren't realizing about Ivory Knight is that it also gives more consistency for Paladin to get a board clear. Equality, Consecration, and Enter the Coliseum are all solid options here.

The healing removes the surprise aspect though.

Also you can get all secrets which would suck.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"

At 6 you know it's Enter the Coliseum or Avenging Wrath, but there are multiple other types of spells at 2 or 4 mana.

Edge case, not really worth considering in terms of card evaluation. Noble Sac or Redemption aren't even that bad.

clav

I suppose the card will be better in Arena / Wild although with Mage getting more buffs, playing a 4/4 on Turn 6 is probably not ideal.

I wonder about that. I think it definitely narrows it down quite a bit. Perhaps lay on hands would be super obvious. I don't think other options are that obvious.

I've been thinking about how to evaluate this card precisely. If the body is roughly 4 mana and the heal is roughly 2, we'd want to see 6-8 health. But because there is discovery, that number would not represent the full value. Because it's always a spell, that warrants even higher value.

Looking at it from discover first, that's gotta be worth at least 1.5 mana I think. Some decks might prefer card draw but paladin is not one of those imo. So then we're talking about .5-1 mana towards the heal which would be around 4 health.

I think this is a pretty good card tbh.

Levi

Banned
Curator might be okay in CW, being able to draw Fierce Monkey, Alexstraza and Corrupted Seer off the battlecry seems good.

Would really hurt in a mirror match up you expect to go to fatigue, but maybe you just hold the card and either play it after you've drawn those cards, so the battlecry doesn't proc, or you use the Golden Monkey to convert it to a different legendary.

clav

I wonder about that. I think it definitely narrows it down quite a bit. Perhaps lay on hands would be super obvious. I don't think other options are that obvious.

I've been thinking about how to evaluate this card precisely. If the body is roughly 4 mana and the heal is roughly 2, we'd want to see 6-8 health. But because there is discovery, that number would not represent the full value. Because it's always a spell, that warrants even higher value.

Looking at it from discover first, that's gotta be worth at least 1.5 mana I think. Some decks might prefer card draw but paladin is not one of those imo. So then we're talking about .5-1 mana towards the heal which would be around 4 health.

I think this is a pretty good card tbh.

Healbot was a staple of many midrange Paladin decks.

3/3 with 8 heal.

So you're paying 1 mana more for a RNG 3 card draw with a heal attached to cost.

Maybe some people expected a 10/10 Paladin card for 6 Mana + lose 2 mana crystals. Call it David the Goliath.

Alternatively, maybe a 5/5 that summons a 5/5 both with 1 mana reduction deathrattle and call it David and the Goliath.

Some one /r/competitiveHS did the math, the chance of discovering 3 1-mana spells is 6.7%.

I guess that's for Standard huh?

In Arena / Wild, the chance would be slightly higher.

wiibomb

so, this is my first time witnessing a HS adventure releasing, how is this releasing? also, when can I buy the whole thing?

clav

Should probably be able to buy it soon.

As for releasing, each wing unlocks weekly, so the card pool will slowly grow in ladder.

Levi

Banned
so, this is my first time witnessing a HS adventure releasing, how is this releasing? also, when can I buy the whole thing?

One wing per week, launching every Thursday, and you'll be able spend the 19.99, get the cardback, and buy the whole adventure no later than August 11th. They may do preorders but since Brode didn't specifically mention them I'm planning on the 11th.

Parshias7

Barnes is great in a N'Zoth deck. (maybe not N'Zoth Priest in Wild)

The worst case scenario is you get a Yeti across two bodies, which is just simply 'OK'. The best case scenario is absolutely disgusting.

So yeah, pretty garbage start to this adventure. Thank god you can hold back cards and balance because you're making so much money, there's literally no incentive to improve or really try anything interesting at all!

You've almost weened me off this game completely Blizzard, all by yourself.

inky

If Barnes pulls any spell damage minions in my Spell Druid it might be great. I also have a spot for it that is currently being filled by Elise, which I just have for control purposes, not due to any specific synergies. Pulling DR minions might be very powerful too.

gutshot

So yeah, pretty garbage start to this adventure. Thank god you can hold back cards and balance because you're making so much money, there's literally no incentive to improve or really try anything interesting at all!

You've almost weened me off this game completely Blizzard, all by yourself.

What is garbage about it? The two legendaries revealed so far seem like nice build-around cards while the other cards range from OK to great.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Is there more whining in any other game's community? I would guess maybe some moba?

GAF always has a couple people that go "shit sux" whenever new cards are revealed. This expansion will shake up the meta just as all other expansions have, and many of the cards revealed are perfectly playable and some are even really interesting. Like people are shitting on Curator but to me it looks like one of the most fascinating build-around cards revealed since Reno Jackson.

What is garbage about it? The two legendaries revealed so far seem like nice build-around cards while the other cards range from OK to great.

theres nothing here to indicate any intention of balancing the 9 current classes for their "Standard" competitive format. There's nothing here to indicate any intention of introducing spells cards that aren't, "here's some dmg and/or a random minion of the equivalent cost".

How's that for a start, off the top of my head. I'm sorry but I don't see how this isnt more of the same for a game built upon supposedly not being constrained by the limitations of physical card games.

My only real disappointment was the stream. What was that...10 minutes of actual content discussion after 20 minutes talking about China Joy? I expected more card reveals. At LEAST one per class. :-/

My only real disappointment was the stream. What was that...10 minutes of actual content discussion after 20 minutes talking about China Joy? I expected more card reveals. At LEAST one per class. :-/

I expected about 5 cards but I didn't expect them to take so long to get to those reveals.

I did expect a few more in the showcase matches though.

Dahbomb

The worst card shown is probably Ethereal Peddler and even that passes the vanilla test.

One thing people aren't realizing about Ivory Knight is that it also gives more consistency for Paladin to get a board clear. Equality, Consecration, and Enter the Coliseum are all solid options here.
Yeah I am in agreement with this, no card revealed is woefully or comically bad like Mogor the Champion. These cards are at the very least usable or "good enough for Arena".

wiibomb

I guess I'm glad I didn't stayed up just to see the stream

are these announcements so lame always?

Ladekabel

Is the potato that is the EU servers now totally fried? I'm currently playing with my second account to get the Shaman hero and I'm getting lags and disconnects in practice mode.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I did a quick calculation on probability of the most heal you can get from the paladin card, assuming you pick the most expensive spell of course.

heal - chance (%)
10 10.3
8 9.6
6 17.1
5 14.47
4 15.6
3 7.9
2 8.6
1 4.5

it's not bad but it's not a great healer for 6 mana if you're playing it for that prupose. Of course there is going to be one more spell in the set that changes the math but not too much.
Well, you also do get the spell card you chose.

Blizzard needs to stop pushing this Murloc dragon beast meta smh

You mean pushing it whilst simultaneously having ZERO good cards and synergies for it? And splitting them all up over a couple classes? And not making more cards to satisfy this archetype after over a year?

Nah man it's totally a well thought out idea.

You mean pushing it whilst simultaneously having ZERO good cards and synergies for it? And splitting them all up over a couple classes? And not making more cards to satisfy this archetype after over a year?

You know they actually do have strong synergy cards for these races right?

I don't even understand how you could say this even if you meant it lightly.
200px-Murloc_Warleader%28222%29.png

33158.png

wiibomb

Me and many others have been severely crushed by murloc decks, don't know what you are talking here.

dragon have problems though, but mainly because they are usually mana expensive cards

Me and many others have been severely crushed by murloc decks, don't know what you are talking here.

dragon have problems though, but mainly because they are usually mana expensive cards

One off games with perfect draw are certainly not indicative of a successful archetype.

Ok and then what else to complete the deck to make it viable?

There already is a murloc paladin deck. In wild you can make an OTK murloc paladin deck. In standard you can make a midrange or control/combo-ish murloc paladin deck. Double anyfin can happen can be incredibly powerful.

Just a couple more paladin specific examples:
200px-Anyfin_Can_Happen%2827240%29.png

200px-Steward_of_Darkshire%2833153%29.png

200px-Murloc_Knight%2822362%29.png

One off games with perfect draw are certainly not indicative of a successful archetype.

Man, I can tell you you're wrong there. Here is Kolento, one of the best players in the comp scene, running murloc paladin (pre-wotg).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FgJKRSz1zA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom