• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT7/7| _ Give Tyrande | _ Blizzard: Give Amazon Money

Status
Not open for further replies.

gutshot

But it wasn't really playable and that's only 5 mana. You're talking 8 mana in a faster meta. You might need ~2 turns to make up the loss of tempo and I think that's problematic.

+ everyone is running Ooze/Harrison and now they'll just save it against weaponless classes instead of playing it for the body alone.

The difference between a 0/6 and a 7/7 body is massive though. And the fact that the effect is guaranteed to still go off, even if you deal with the much bigger body, is what makes Medivh a lot better than Stone.

As for the weapon counter tech cards, I just went through vS's latest Data Report and exactly ONE deck out of the 26 they had listed was running Ooze or Harrison (Renolock). So saying everyone is running those cards is hyperbole, to say the least.

zoukka

And it's not like he's even hard countered by ooze, you still gotta spend a card to deal with the body, much like with Tirion (not sayin he's as good as tirion).

The card will see play.

gutshot

And it's not like he's even hard countered by ooze, you still gotta spend a card to deal with the body, much like with Tirion (not sayin he's as good as tirion).

The card will see play.

Yup. It reminds me of Dr. Boom in that respect, in that even the "hard counter" doesn't completely deal with the card.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
What will the interaction be between the medivh weapon and twisting nether, brawl, elemental destruction etc? Does the resulting body stick after the minions are destroyed?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Yup. It reminds me of Dr. Boom in that respect, in that even the "hard counter" doesn't completely deal with the card.

Pfft, you're forgetting the *real* hard counter!

12236.png

Apathy

Those moments when you didn't draw your weapon remover and a hunter coins out medivh, then call of the wild into a rag and the call of the wild into tirion.

As for the weapon counter tech cards, I just went through vS's latest Data Report and exactly ONE deck out of the 26 they had listed was running Ooze or Harrison (Renolock). So saying everyone is running those cards is hyperbole, to say the least.

I find that surprising because I would of assumed people had Ooze for Shamans and Hunters at least. But then again, I never really pay attention to what is in or out meta wise.

Hope it stays that low! Would love to mess around with the card.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
What will the interaction be between the medivh weapon and twisting nether, brawl, elemental destruction etc? Does the resulting body stick after the minions are destroyed?

"After you cast a spell". So yes. The minion spawns after the spell resolves.

Finalow

Silverware Golem can be OP if you get him on the board for free on turn 2 or 3, or it can be completely useless if you don't.
I mean, to make it work you'd have to be very lucky, which is why I don't like discard mechanics to begin with, or you'd have to have the card as the last card in your hand, which usually isn't really gonna happen in the first turns. you might force yourself to go for the ''sometimes lucky?" discard but discard some key card instead of the Golem. gg go next
there is also the problem of life tapping, sometimes you know it's a nice turn for a life tap but at the same time that could ruin or make whatever discard card you have in hand much worse.

I still think it's not enough for a proper discard deck but maybe the card will see some play in the Doomguard / Soulfire zoolock deck. I run that deck but I'm not sure I'd use it.

Malice215

I really like Medivh because the summoning ability is split from a 7/7 body instead of both being tied to a 0/6. It's going to be tough to deal with both on top of the rest of the crap in this meta.

Medivh into Call of the Wild is the first thing I'm trying.

Apathy

That's a cool card. Probably strongest in Druid, innervating it out then nourishing seems really strong. Unlike other big stuff you can innervate its effects linger.

It's neat with Doom!, 10 mana, kills everything, draw cards, free 10 cost minion, and you still have the weapon...that is such a ridiculous swing it might actually make Doom usable.

Eh, it's not like locks were hurting for card draw. It'll be better with twisting nether. 10 mana cards are kinda bleck. 8 mana ones are better if forbidden shapping has taught us anything.

bjaelke

The difference between a 0/6 and a 7/7 body is massive though. And the fact that the effect is guaranteed to still go off, even if you deal with the much bigger body, is what makes Medivh a lot better than Stone.

That's the thing, you don't necessarily have to deal with the body. If it had taunt, like miladesn suggested, it would be a completely different situation. Now you just Totem Up and continue throwing your minions in your opponent's face. Don't get me wrong, I'd like for it to see play but I think it's too slow (to be competitive).

After the spell has resolved. Otherwise it would have been "whenever you cast a spell".

Silverware Golem can be OP if you get him on the board for free on turn 2 or 3, or it can be completely useless if you don't.
I mean, to make it work you'd have to be very lucky, which is why I don't like discard mechanics to begin with, or you'd have to have the card as the last card in your hand, which usually isn't really gonna happen in the first turns. you might force yourself to go for the ''sometimes lucky?" discard but discard some key card instead of the Golem. gg go next
there is also the problem of life tapping, sometimes you know it's a nice turn for a life tap but at the same time that could ruin or make whatever discard card you have in hand much worse.

I still think it's not enough for a proper discard deck but maybe the card will see some play in the Doomguard / Soulfire zoolock deck. I run that deck but I'm not sure I'd use it.

I think it would be great in Zoo with Doomguard and Soulfire. You're already discarding cards anyway, may as well try and cash in a free 3/3 and turn the downside of discarding into a massive tempo swing. And it's not like it's that bad if you have to play a 3 mana 3/3.

Levi

Banned
Harrison Jones gets a buff!

Warlock gets a bunch of super degenerate fast cards. You guys are gonna wish for "warriorstone" once half the ladder is a crazy aggressive zoo deck that's throwing doom guards at your face and gaining value off the discards.

It's okay, though, there's a neutral 3/2 taunt to fend em off.

Finalow

since they now made Medivh I wonder if we'll see more hero cards in the future.

Thrall
5 mana 8/8 + equip a Doomhammer, overload (3)

''seems balanced'' - Ben Brode

Apathy

since they now made Medivh I wonder if we'll see more hero cards in the future.

Thrall
5 mana 8/8 + equip a Doomhammer, overload (3)

''seems balanced'' - Ben Brode

You know, now if it happens, we'll look back at this post at your trial and use it as evidence against you for the injustices you brought upon us.

On side note, anyone see Kripp play the brawl? Crazy shit.

gutshot

That's the thing, you don't necessarily have to deal with the body. If it had taunt, like miladesn suggested, it would be a completely different situation. Now you just Totem Up and continue throwing your minions in your opponent's face. Don't get me wrong, I'd like for it to see play but I think it's too slow (to be competitive).

After the spell has resolved. Otherwise it would have been "whenever you cast a spell".

It being a slow, late-game card in a fast meta is a knock against it, no doubt about that. You will have to carefully craft your decks around Medivh to take full advantage of the card. You could play him in a heavy control deck like N'Zoth Paladin and try to combo him with board clears or big heals like Lay on Hands. You could also play him in a tempo deck yourself and still get good value off of him. Tempo Rogue, for example, could keep pace on board and use Atiesh for a huge tempo turn and just overwhelm the opponent.

It will take some experimentation to find the best deck, but ultimately I think the card is too high value not to see play.

Medivh seems like a fun card but I can just imagine playing it on turn 8 and then getting oozed or Harrison'd before you can get even one expensive spell off.

Finalow

I think it would be great in Zoo with Doomguard and Soulfire. You're already discarding cards anyway, may as well try and cash in a free 3/3 and turn the downside of discarding into a massive tempo swing. And it's not like it's that bad if you have to play a 3 mana 3/3.
the thing is that you have 4 discard cards at best, and you have to make space for a 3 mana 3/3 which is awful unless you summon him for free. (dropping a 3/3 at turn 3 instead of Imp Gang Boss, or Councilman, or a Peddler + 1 drop etc. is usually really bad)
you have games where you don't need or you don't see those 4 discard cards at all, or you have games where you might get the combo but it won't discard the Golem. so I don't think a huge (if early, otherwise not that huge) tempo swing being used once every 5 games if you're lucky is gonna be worth it. not unless the deck gets more discard cards.
it's great to top deck it with a Doomguard but aside from that it's probably gonna be a dead card in your hand which also makes your deck much slower if it replaces one of the 1 drops.

Magnus

I'm glad it's becoming semi-normal for characters to appear as both heroes and cards. I want Kael'thas in both formats, and hopefully Velen as a priest hero one day.

It being a slow, late-game card in a fast meta is a knock against it, no doubt about that. You will have to carefully craft your decks around Medivh to take full advantage of the card. You could play him in a heavy control deck like N'Zoth Paladin and try to combo him with board clears or big heals like Lay on Hands. You could also play him in a tempo deck yourself and still get good value off of him. Tempo Rogue, for example, could keep pace on board and use Atiesh for a huge tempo turn and just overwhelm the opponent.

It will take some experimentation to find the best deck, but ultimately I think the card is too high value not to see play.

Lay on Hands was my first thought, 8 is a magical number after all. Control Pally is probably still gonna suck though.

obeast

Medivh seems like a fun card but I can just imagine playing it on turn 8 and then getting oozed or Harrison'd before you can get even one expensive spell off.

The thing is, if you drop Medivh on turn 8 on an empty or relatively balanced board, they have to handle both the 7/7 body and the weapon. Harrison is a great counter, but it only deals with the weapon, leaving 3-4 mana to deal with the minion (plus the 5/4 on subsequent turns, of course, but that's a comparatively squishy target). Ooze is more flexible, but even ooze + hard removal is basically a neutral trade on the board with a 2 for 1 card trade. And you have to have drawn ooze/harrison at the right time, of course (and there will be games when they're just dead cards in hand forever, because the opponent isn't playing Medivh, doesn't draw him, etc.).

It's the kind of card that's hard to evaluate, and it's slow, but it looks like the right deck could just run away with the game if the weapon isn't destroyed immediately. It might be powerful even in an environment with a fair bit of weapon hate.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
I feel like if discardlock becomes a thing it'll be super frustrating due to the sheer amount of wildly varying power it would put it out based off the random throws.

Like, turn 1 flame imp, turn 2 librarian that discards/plays the 3/3 is DISGUSTING.

Turn 4 double Tiny Knight of Evil, Turn 5 Doomguard making the Tiny Knight of Evils 5/4s.

Levi

Banned
Once the meta stabilizes after the adventure release, it'll be easy to predict which decks have Medivh and, much like folks hold onto Harrison to use against Gorehowl when playing vs a slow Warrior, they'll hold Harrison to the bitter end in order to deny Staff value.

Ladekabel

So Medivh is the card that is meant to be helping Priest? I'm not so sure about that. At least we get another weapon that as a different use.

I don't think it is bad and will sure find it's way into some gimmick decks.

FeD.nL

So Medivh is the card that is meant to be helping Priest? I'm not so sure about that. At least we get another weapon that as a different use.

I don't think it is bad and will sure find it's way into some gimmick decks.

Play Medivh > next turn > Cast PW:S > Forbidden Shaping for 8 > Get both Rags

Priest tier 1.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
Putting in another minion kind of defeats the purpose of the deck.

Nah. The deck only has a few minions and then 1 King's Elekk to draw them. Yogg/Thaurissan/Malygos(?)/Medivh seems like an ok set. You are still very likely to win all Jousts.

Fishlake

The wild dream. Twisting nether into Kelthuzad.

I'm glad we are seeing our first spell weapon and in any class as well.

Druid will probably love this card.

bjaelke

vS Data Reaper Report #12
All indications point to a Metagame that has gone stale, where Warrior is the clear frontrunner. This isn’t surprising considering an adventure is just around the corner and many people chose safe ways to grind the final week of July. However, we’re very excited as statisticians to start tracking the Metagame with a steady influx of cards every week, which is something we will experience very soon for the first time since Data Reaper began.

Hunter has seen an increase in play, barely eclipsing Warlock to take the 3rd spot. At legend ranks though, it is still a class considered to be middle of the road in terms of power level.

Druid is the exact opposite of Hunter: quite underrated at lower levels of play, but a favorite at the legend ranks, where Token Druid is ubiquitous.

Rogue is continuing to recover somewhat from the consistent decline it has experienced since the release of Standard Format. Mage’s fall has also halted.

Priest sucks.
They included a separate chart for the first 2 days of August.

According to Data Reaper secret paladin, formerly a tier 2 deck... is now a tier 1 deck...

This is the kind of results when you only have 1600 contributors. I'm pretty sure hearthstats has more contributors than data reaper has matches recorded and no one ever gave a shit about their reports.

Levi

Banned
According to Data Reaper secret paladin, formerly a tier 2 deck... is now a tier 1 deck...

This is the kind of results when you only have 1600 contributors. I'm pretty sure hearthstats has more contributors than data reaper has matches recorded and no one ever gave a shit about their reports.

If you don't think they have a big enough sample size, sign up and contribute your numbers.

If you think their data is shit, Tempo Storm dot com is that way, enjoy their flagrantly biased attempts to shape the meta instead of report it.

Dahbomb

Secret Paladin da gawd!

QMRRugL.jpg

gutshot

1,600 is a big enough sample size to come up with some pretty accurate numbers. Most political polls, for example, only poll around 1,000 people and are considered accurate assumptions of the feelings of the 300+ million people living in the US.

There are a lot less than 300 million HS players, obviously, so vS's sample size is more than enough.

If you don't think they have a big enough sample size, sign up and contribute your numbers.

If you think their data is shit, Tempo Storm dot com is that way, enjoy their flagrantly biased attempts to shape the meta instead of report it.

For me, it isn't even a question of whether they have a big enough sample size. I remember when people were trying to quote hearthstats to define the meta and they had 20-30x the contributors at the time and that was years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom