• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT8| Elise's Extremely Irresponsible Field Trip To Un'Goro

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zakalwe

Banned
Not played ladder in a while, is classic CW effective in the current climate?

Currently on rank 19. Hoping to hit at least 5 this season.

Pooya

Not played ladder in a while, is classic CW effective in the current climate?

Currently on rank 19. Hoping to hit at least 5 this season.

It beats the face decks, loses to almost everything else. I think it should beat reno mage too, I haven't played against many. Mid shaman is 50:50. It's ok, not as bad as people say. You should update your list with lists on v/s.

In those ranks right now, I'm guessing people play lots of greedy priest or jade stuff so I don't recommend it. It does better around 10-5.

Zakalwe

Banned
It beats the face decks, loses to almost everything else. I think it should beat reno mage too, I haven't played against many. Mid shaman is 50:50. It's ok, not as bad as people say. You should update your list with lists on v/s.

In those ranks right now, I'm guessing people play lots of greedy priest or jade stuff so I don't recommend it. It does better around 10-5.

Thanks.

This is what I'm seeing. What would you recommend as a good deck to get out of the lower ranks currently? I've been out the game for a while, I think I need a few hints.

I only have cards to build effective decks for: Warrior, Paladin, Mage, Druid.

Not taking into account mulligan, you have 2 chances out of three to draw a seer before you draw Finja. Doesn't work.

I could always use a Madam Goya to shuffle a Corrupted Seer back into the deck :p

To be honest, I am just having fun right now, and not really focused on laddering. I am willing to try any deck I think is fun even if it means never having a winning streak.

The other deck I am playing right now has a Lorewalker Cho in it!

Pooya

Thanks.

This is what I'm seeing. What would you recommend as a good deck to get out of the lower ranks currently? I've been out the game for a while, I think I need a few hints.

Any type of shaman should do the job, you don't have shaman cards? It's very cheap just common/rare cards.

If not, I guess pirate warrior is faster anyway and punishes greedy decks the most.

those ranks become hell later in the month with all kind of random janky decks and things you don't play around and lose to, you need something like these decks to get out of it quickly.

Thanks.

Last month I climbed to rank 5 using mostly C'thun Warrior. Control Warrior was good too but I wasn't winning as consistently with it.

So I think there's definitely room for them. Most people assume you're playing pirates so that can work out in your favor.

Zemm

I have a HS tournament next week. I should be watching this tournament to get some ideas. Instead I have not even opened HS a single time in over a month, not even for Tavern Brawl. I have not even collected my rank 15 rewards for the month of January.

pirate warrior, reno mage, shaman, reno lock

pick however you want from that (warrior and mage should be 100% in, the other two is a toss up) that's literally all you need, or want, if you want to win.

This tournament showed just how bad this meta is. Pirate warrior mirror and reno mirror happened all the time and all of them were boring as fuck to watch.The only watches that were fun were the rogue ones and even those were an RNG-fest.

Sjow and Provanck (something like that) got screwed by the shitty format of the tournament too ://

Dahbomb

I have legit never played Pirate Warrior in my life. Definitely going with Reno Mage, Renolock and Shaman (probably Midrange variant with Jades) but 4th deck I don't know of. I don't have good experience with these new Rogue decks either.

I think I would probably make some homebrew 4th deck to troll with.

Zakalwe

Banned
Last month I climbed to rank 5 using mostly C'thun Warrior. Control Warrior was good too but I wasn't winning as consistently with it.

So I think there's definitely room for them. Most people assume you're playing pirates so that can work out in your favor.

I have everything I need to C'thun, is warrior variant better than druid in the current season?

Any type of shaman should do the job, you don't have shaman cards? It's very cheap just common/rare cards.

If not, I guess pirate warrior is faster anyway and punishes greedy decks the most.

those ranks become hell later in the month with all kind of random janky decks and things you don't play around and lose to, you need something like these decks to get out of it quickly.

I burnt all my other class cards to build a set of specific decks a while ago, not played enough since to replenish. Like all of them, just the basics left right now and nothing to dust (I know it wasn't the best idea, but I wanted a couple of decks really badly).

I don't have the dust for pirate either... I might consider buying some packs on payday to give myself a boost.

Thanks for the tips, I'll keep them in mind.

I have legit never played Pirate Warrior in my life. Definitely going with Reno Mage, Renolock and Shaman (probably Midrange variant with Jades) but 4th deck I don't know of. I don't have good experience with these new Rogue decks either.

You'd be surprised at how often Tempo Mage can catch people off guard, you could try that.

Tomcat

Pick anyfin paladin. It's good for tournament mode.

I have everything I need to C'thun, is warrior variant better than druid in the current season?
I haven't seen anyone play C'thun Druid in a long time, so I don't think so......granted no one is playing C'thun Warrior either. I have only come across C'thun Warrior one time in the last 2 months.
Again, a bit lost with all the new cards...

What's a good current tempo mage deck? This is something I could probably build with my current card set.
I'd post my list if I could, but I'm unable to at the moment. It's pretty standard Tempo Mage deck. And honestly it's just something I play like once every 10 games just for a change of pace. I can burn down Reno decks fairly quick, but aggro decks still destroy me before I can even get anything going unless they make poor trades.

Both of these are fine depending on what decks you're coming across. Mine looks similar, but I run a Sen'jin, sometimes 2.

https://tempostorm.com/hearthstone/decks/tempo-mage-standard-meta-snapshot-jan-31-2017

https://tempostorm.com/hearthstone/decks/tempo-mage-standard-meta-snapshot-feb-12-2017

I burnt all my other class cards to build a set of specific decks a while ago, not played enough since to replenish. Like all of them, just the basics left right now and nothing to dust (I know it wasn't the best idea, but I wanted a couple of decks really badly).

I don't have the dust for pirate either... I might consider buying some packs on payday to give myself a boost.

Thanks for the tips, I'll keep them in mind.

Warrior is consistently the best class for Chtun unless you don't mind spending a lot of dust on Druid Kun Aviana Chtun OTK which will get cycled out when the next expansion hits.

But keep in mind, Chtun is too slow for this meta. I've played it a lot during WToG, but it is very hard to play ranked after Gadgetzan. Even very expensive Chtun Goons decks aren't competative and get smashed by Pirate/Druid decks.

Mulgrok

My inspire minion paladin deck was 75% win rate over 25 games when going against mostly greedy reno/control/dragon decks. Then I ranked up into the aggro/shaman tier and was going 50%, so made the deck faster and now at 60% in 50 games. If it weren't for aggro I would not play anything under 3 mana besides knife jugglers.

Warrior is consistently the best class for Chtun unless you don't mind spending a lot of dust on Druid Kun Aviana Chtun OTK which will get cycled out when the next expansion hits.

But keep in mind, Chtun is too slow for this meta. I've played it a lot during WToG, but it is very hard to play ranked after Gadgetzan. Even very expensive Chtun Goons decks aren't competative and get smashed by Pirate/Druid decks.

I think it depends on what you tech in and how you mulligan. At first it was just a matter of surviving until turn 5 against pirates, which of course was a poor strategy. After I put in Thalnos and Whirlwind I started doing much much better. The only issue is having a good answer for Flamewreath Faceless and Frothing Berserker. But if you have that, then you're usually good for the rest of the game, at least in my experience.

Like I said, I made it to 5 last month using mostly C'thun Warrior so I definitely think it's a viable deck, it just requires some very critical thinking in the early turns and of course some good luck on the draws.

This whole Amnesiac twitter rant business really rustles my jimmies. Not for the reasons it gets most people upset, but because everyone wants to talk about respect. It's really strange how CS:GO, DotA, League, etc have drama that is just as "immature" but there is nowhere near the popular consensus that seems to have solidified around Amnesiac right now. Is it because he was being unsportsmanlike? Or is it because he is a sixteen year old playing professional games? Because it feels like the latter when you have people like Freakazoid mocking people's personal life and country and still having people on his side but you have Amnesiac saying roughly the same thing that was said all throughout the community after the World Tournament and having a vast majority of the community siding against him. People want to talk about respect but can't seem to find any for sixteen year old going through school while managing his own career as a professional.

Just annoys me a bit. I'm 23 and just out of college so it wasn't that long ago that I was a teenager. I don't quite remember turning 18 and magically maturing and becoming a better, smarter person.

Dahbomb

There's one thing to be critical about other's plays but Amnesiacs consistently rants about differences in "percentages" and calls them out as wrong. At that high level, there's going to be a difference in opinion about what the best plays, bans and card choices are. Amnesiac thinks playing Combolock is bad and only bad players do it because they aren't good enough to win the mirror so they lose out on percentages against aggro decks to win the Reno match ups. There might be some truth to that but another player isn't concerned about "skillful match ups" in the mirror, they just want to win no matter how they do it. Amnesiac is another one of the long list of players who talk about how they are the best Handlock player ever when no one cares about that because you don't win with just one deck, you have to win with several decks.

That's just toxic behavior and it further confines the meta to "pick this and do this or you are legitimately bad".

I saw that last grand finals match and Pavel was the better player because he made less mistakes than the other player. Did he play perfect? No but neither did the other guy. That's usually how it goes, no one plays perfect 100% of the time. It's cool that Pavel was able to continue his successes from Blizzcon.

I saw that last grand finals match and Pavel was the better player because he made less mistakes than the other player. Did he play perfect? No but neither did the other guy. That's usually how it goes, no one plays perfect 100% of the time. It's cool that Pavel was able to continue his successes from Blizzcon.

As a sidenote, that other guy was Amnesiac and the overwhelmingly popular opinion at the time was the Pavel lucked out completely. There was even a meme about "Pavelling" afterwards. Not to mention he missed lethal at least twice. Not that he didn't deserve to be there - he obviously won the Swiss and got to that spot in the first place - but I don't think many people who remember that particular match would have disagreed with the sentiment that Amnesiac decided to vent today.

Zakalwe

Banned
I haven't seen anyone play C'thun Druid in a long time, so I don't think so......granted no one is playing C'thun Warrior either. I have only come across C'thun Warrior one time in the last 2 months.

I'd post my list if I could, but I'm unable to at the moment. It's pretty standard Tempo Mage deck. And honestly it's just something I play like once every 10 games just for a change of pace. I can burn down Reno decks fairly quick, but aggro decks still destroy me before I can even get anything going unless they make poor trades.

Both of these are fine depending on what decks you're coming across. Mine looks similar, but I run a Sen'jin, sometimes 2.

https://tempostorm.com/hearthstone/decks/tempo-mage-standard-meta-snapshot-jan-31-2017

https://tempostorm.com/hearthstone/decks/tempo-mage-standard-meta-snapshot-feb-12-2017

Thanks. This has given me some ideas at least.

Currently 4-0 with classic CW. Mage, Priest, Mage, Shaman. No specific themed decks. see how far it takes me before it gets too difficult.

manhack

All these years I've been waiting for exactly this post from you

You know when the veteran posters here are finding less and less motivation to play the game that something is wrong.

Most of us aren't even asking for that much, just tweak some overtuned cards and give us a chance to see where the meta takes it.

Dahbomb

All these years I've been waiting for exactly this post from you
Right now I am on hiatus until the new rotation/balance/arena changes. It's clear that big changes are coming so I am just going to chill until they come.

If the new changes/set aren't good enough then it's time to finally click the uninstall button.

Blizzard

Banned
Darn brawl meta. I'm literally not sure I had ever seen the Loatheb legendary in my first month of Hearthstone, and I saw it 3 times from 3 different players in 3 consecutive brawl games today.

Right now I am on hiatus until the new rotation/balance/arena changes. It's clear that big changes are coming so I am just going to chill until they come.

If the new changes/set aren't good enough then it's time to finally click the uninstall button.

Hope it doesn't have to come to that Dahbomb. This thread wouldn't be as fun without your analysis.

Dahbomb

You will still see me in the card prediction videos though.

Speaking of... when are we going to put out the on blast video? Might as well do it soon before the patch comes out.

KuroNeeko

Yeah, I've had zero interest in opening / playing Hearthstone in about a month as well.

I've managed to almost completely replace it with Shadowverse and PvZ: Heroes. lol

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
You will still see me in the card prediction videos though.

Speaking of... when are we going to put out the on blast video? Might as well do it soon before the patch comes out.

Yeah I was starting to think about getting to work on collecting the opinions. The meta has probably settled enough. That might take a couple weeks, though.

Blizzard

Banned
12-13 arena runs in a row without Mage being offered, if my numbers are correct. I'm trying Warlock now.

Am I the only person seeing this?

ZealousD

I just found the perfect clip to start off my "Pros Were Wrong" video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Di5DVzIrUQ#t=50m30s

Trump: "The [Gadgetzan] metagame is going to slow down. There weren't that many aggressive cards printed. In fact I can't even think of a single aggressive card. The general mechanics of Gadgetzan are slowly buffing your hand, jade golems, and singleton decks. So will that slow down the meta? Of course it will!"

Dahbomb

He's not wrong that there weren't that many aggressive cards added to MSG. Taken as a whole you would think the meta would slow down.

They added Patches, STB, Jade Claws and maybe Alley Cat as far as aggressive cards go but those first two cards were enough. Compared to the anti aggro/control cards we got in the expansion:

Kazakus, Raza, Volcanic Potion, Mistress of Mixtures, Second Rate Bruiser, Dirty Rat, Felfire Potion, Abyssal Enforcer, Dragonfire Potion, Jinryu Waterspeaker, Alley Armorsmith etc.

But obviously Patches and STB were so ahead of the curve that they warped the meta around them. History has shown in the game that as you add more and more cards, the decks get faster and more refined.

ZealousD

But you can absolutely see the video where that quote plays, then I repeat a bit in slow-mo with STB and Patches flying all transparent in front of his face.

That's how you get viral, son.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
I just found the perfect clip to start off my "Pros Were Wrong" video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Di5DVzIrUQ#t=50m30s

Trump: "The [Gadgetzan] metagame is going to slow down. There weren't that many aggressive cards printed. In fact I can't even think of a single aggressive card. The general mechanics of Gadgetzan are slowly buffing your hand, jade golems, and singleton decks. So will that slow down the meta? Of course it will!"

He only gave Small Time Bucceneer 3 stars and said he wasn't sure if it would fit? Lol What?

At least STB got a real high rating on our poll. Also credit to some people calling it in the comments here:

Prepare for new shit meta enabled by Small time buccaneer. What a shitty dank card they printed.

And that Rogue legendary SMH. Because so many people played Shadopan rider right...

I think Pirate Rogue might be the mech mage of this expansion.

So, maybe this was discussed and I missed it, but that 1 mana 1/2 Pirate that gets +2 atk when you have a weapon seems insane to me.

Found it:

This card is nuts. In Rogue especially, but also Aggro/Face warrior cuz FWA is always in the starting hand right? This is a 1 mana 3/2 in those decks and (probably) can't be removed on T1 without coining for most classes. For a tempo/aggro deck like the aggressive Rogue/Warrior variants, this card is insane.

Probably more I missed.

One thing I've noticed is Blizzard always reveals its most cancerous cards in the final dump when there isn't enough time for the point that it's cancerous spreads pre-release.

It almost makes me wonder if STB isn't an accident, because some sort of research shows that cancer like that somehow causes sales increases.

Triz

That feeling when you draft Prince Malchezaar in Arena and I want to show my wife what he does in game...game starts and opponent has him too.
I still won

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom