• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT8| Elise's Extremely Irresponsible Field Trip To Un'Goro

Status
Not open for further replies.

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
I'm really enjoying playing Gwent/Duelyst right now and I don't think I'm going to come back to hearthstone much, if at all. Mechanically those games are just so much more detailed and complex that it opens up all kinds of interesting decision making that you just don't get in hearthstone. Hell, the literal format of a Gwent match involves more strategy than almost anything in Hearthstone.

I really enjoy Gwent and duelyst too but there's something hearthstone that makes me go back to it even after all of the RNG bullshit. Hopefully the new expansion breaths life into the game for me.

Q8D3vil

Hard to switch to other card game because i invested too much time and money in HS since the game came out of the beta. I even take 2-3 days from work every time an expansion drop (since the first week of an expansion is the best and most fun time to play).

Mean street had the worst starting meta because of pirates, every aggro player built some pirate shit and went ahead with it from the first minute.

Cat Party

Gwent is very good and requires lots of interesting and complex decision making. The multi-round set up is a great "innovation" on card games and really sets it apart in my mind. If I had time for a second CCG, it'd be Gwent (I don't even really have time for Hearthstone anyway).

But Gwent also requires that you have a robust card collection, because power cards are everything, and your decklist needs to be fairly precise to work well. I haven't played the beta in a long time though, so maybe that's changed somewhat.

This is where Hearthstone has always succeeded. Thanks in part to RNG, there are always decks that are competitive that don't require a huge investment. Maybe not always top tier, but good enough to get you some wins in the 25-15 ranks. There's always room for replacement as well.

Is now the best time to quit hearthstone? I'm really not looking forward to having to shell out 210+CAD in the next year buying expansions and for every year after that until the end of time. its a hamster wheel and I want to get off.

I'm strongly considering it. The EU price rises may put me over the edge. 95% of my Hearthstone enjoyment right now is community stuff, streams and videos. Even playing a few games to get to 20 for the cardback (I've been playing since beta) right now is a pain, but I'll still happily put on Kibler after work every day and watch most of Trolden's episodes. It's weird.

I just haven't felt motivated to play games or do much of anything lately really, but it feels worse for Hearthstone. By now I'd have 2-3K gold in the bank for an upcoming expansion, I haven't played at all this month so far.

The sunk cost fallacy is real though. I've probably spent a grand on this game at this stage.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, that price increase really feels like it hit at very bad time when the game isn't in the best condition.

I'd like to still jump in and play a few games every once in awhile, but am definitely in no mood to grind, and being stuck below rank 20 to play those few games isn't very fun.

I like what I've played of the Gwent beta too, but I think what keeps me coming back to hearthstone is that's where my nearly complete collection of cards is. It's fun to dip my toes into other card games and make what I can out of a limited selection while netdecking isn't an option, but it's hard to commit the time/money to go all in on another game like I did with hearthstone. I almost did it with Elder Scrolls, before bailing out after Prophecy topdecking decided a few too many games for me.

And Gwent does seem especially hard to just fill your deck up with non-synergistic but solid cards to make up for your limited card collection. It seems like it would be 100% impossible to beat a full netdeck with a early F2P collection, though I could be wrong about that.

To their credit, Gwent is doing a lot to try to mitigate the "I have to restart a card collection" problem. First off, you 'discover' the rare card whenever you open a pack (i.e. you pick from 3 choices); this allows you to avoid duplicates and focus on grabbing cards that synergize with your existing collection. And all three choices correspond to the same rarity too, so if your pack drew a legendary quality card, you get to choose from 3 legendary cards.

And while they still have individual card quality (common, rare, epic, leg), this is balanced by the fact they have card class types too (bronze, silver, gold). So while you can have as many epics or legendaries as you want in hearthstone, you can only have 6 Silver Cards and 4 Gold cards in your Gwent deck, regardless of whether they are epic or legendary.

So you can't just overwhelm your opponent with 12 gold cards; they are inherently limited and are a strategic resource in of themselves. Now yes, it's true that the legendary quality Silver/Gold cards are normally the best, but there are more than enough epic Silver/Gold cards for you to craft a viable deck because a lot of them are tech cards and those are normally epic quality. Assuming equal levels of playtime, you will have a viable collection much faster in Gwent than HS.

you can just buy pack with gold then

within 4 month pretty sure you can open about 100 pack with gold from quest that allow you play most good meta deck

Hearthstone is only hard for newbie, any vet with decent library at these time will only need get like 3-5 legendary from each expansion

I'm nowhere nearing complete library but at this point I feel only need around 10k within expansion interval to enjoy most meta deck, which is very doable every 4 month.

You have to consider that new legendaries are class specific. That's another factor influencing value propositions because you won't be able to combo great neutrals with most classes.
If you're playing 4-5 classes you'll probably need closer to 8 legendaries to play them effectively. That's 12800 dust for legendaries alone.

Nachos

I really enjoy Gwent and duelyst too but there's something hearthstone that makes me go back to it even after all of the RNG bullshit. Hopefully the new expansion breaths life into the game for me.
A lot of it's the presentation. Every part of Hearthstone's audio (especially the voice acting) has been fantastic since the beginning, and combined with a sprinkling of visual effects that match them, the whole game feels tactile and weighty in a way most others can only dream of. It makes games like Shadowverse look like junk, even though that game's isn't that bad in itself (dub aside).

fertygo

I just play shadowverse as alternative because that game had great bite size arena añd generous giveaway

I play duelyst for awhie but after taking break for some month theré is two expansiòn that I cant catch up wìth..

Very bummer. Hearthstone one legendary limiť is such a great thing that keep cost of most meta deck balooninģ out of reach.

spoon!

Not important you can replace him easily with other cards like undercity

Finja for sure. I like playing Shaku for the fun factor and it synergizes pretty well with burgle/stealth themed decks. But I didn't craft him tho I got him from a pack. I am not sure if I would've crafted him lol but he's a lot of fun. Finja for sure tho.

Thanks, crafted the ninja murloc and I'm having a blast :)

patchday

Is now the best time to quit hearthstone? I'm really not looking forward to having to shell out 210+CAD in the next year buying expansions and for every year after that until the end of time. its a hamster wheel and I want to get off.

lol!

I think for each expansion I will preorder ($50 US). So that's 3 x $50 for me a year at least. That's not bad. If I purchased 1 new game a month I'd be looking at $60 x 12 months = ($720 a year) unless I wait for Steam/Used sales.

It's kind of a bargain really. Plus I find the game very relaxing & fun

Keep in mind these random packs are just awful most of the time. So after like 1 month or so after each expansion I plan to start saving for the next expansion. I've got 30 packs worth of gold saved. Hoping to earn at least another 1000g gold. Want to open at least 90 packs when expansion drops.

luckily many cards will not be in the meta so it wont be too hard to make the decks you want

[edit- There was a reddit post about this, the best case example was TGT where only 7 cards saw play. SEVEN cards. Look at MSoG. How many cards did you need to hit Legend? Just craft Patches LOL!!!!!]

patchday

To their credit, Gwent is doing a lot to try to mitigate the "I have to restart a card collection" problem. First off, you 'discover' the rare card whenever you open a pack (i.e. you pick from 3 choices); this allows you to avoid duplicates and focus on grabbing cards that synergize with your existing collection. And all three choices correspond to the same rarity too, so if your pack drew a legendary quality card, you get to choose from 3 legendary cards.

And while they still have individual card quality (common, rare, epic, leg), this is balanced by the fact they have card class types too (bronze, silver, gold). So while you can have as many epics or legendaries as you want in hearthstone, you can only have 6 Silver Cards and 4 Gold cards in your Gwent deck, regardless of whether they are epic or legendary.

So you can't just overwhelm your opponent with 12 gold cards; they are inherently limited and are a strategic resource in of themselves. Now yes, it's true that the legendary quality Silver/Gold cards are normally the best, but there are more than enough epic Silver/Gold cards for you to craft a viable deck because a lot of them are tech cards and those are normally epic quality. Assuming equal levels of playtime, you will have a viable collection much faster in Gwent than HS.

Oh that's pretty cool they limit how many golden cards you can have. I dont play Gwent but I watch Lifecoach sometimes.

I just play shadowverse as alternative because that game had great bite size arena añd generous giveaway

I play duelyst for awhie but after taking break for some month theré is two expansiòn that I cant catch up wìth..

Very bummer. Hearthstone one legendary limiť is such a great thing that keep cost of most meta deck balooninģ out of reach.

yeah I like playing Duelyst in training mode. I dont even bother playing online cause I dont want to bother with random packs. one thing Solforge did right was you could trade/share cards.

(I've already done the random pack thing with HS that's enough!)

Thanks, crafted the ninja murloc and I'm having a blast :)

Hell yeah talked my buddy into crafting finja and hes having a blast. played for a little while on standard yesterday and climbed several ranks. and to top it all off I am playing a water deck with 2 x shadow sensei to buff finja/shaku/silent knights. Not sure how efficient this deck is for climbing but I've been having a lot of fun. edit- Looking at my stats- my main finja decks are way over 50% WR. But now that I am closer to rank 10 I expect the numbers to fall to a more realistic average. So I won't give the actual WR numbers but its really high right now

The best time to quit any game is when you aren't having fun anymore.

Reno Mage dead on board? Top deck Reno with Soulcaster in hand.

Reno Mage dead on board again 4 turns later? Top deck second Reno.

I have absolutely no sympathy for Warlock or Mage with that card rotating out.

i ditched soulcaster in my wild reno mage just because there are so many pirate warriors on ladder, it's more important to me to get ice block out and play all my early game BS to stabilize rather than pray i find reno2 a few turns later. duplicate can pull similar/more effective BS imo even if you don't get reno (sludge, kaz, deathlord, etc) and i feel like bran kaz and hitting nzoth is enough for control matchups, idk, if i hit a more control meta i would def bring it back quick but 30+% pw you have to gear really stupidly

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Do you guys think any Quests will actually be deck building challenges, that can activate immediately? You could have something like "Quest: Have no spells in your deck" or "Quest: Have no duplicate cards in your deck"

Do you guys think any Quests will actually be deck building challenges, that can activate immediately? You could have something like "Quest: Have no spells in your deck" or "Quest: Have no duplicate cards in your deck"

Probably not. You could just make a minion or spell with that text if they wanted it. I think quest as they've described it is something you work towards during each game.

Xanathus

Interesting how I'm only getting 40 gold daily quests even after rerolling throughout the past week right before a new expansion. I noticed and mentioned the exact same thing here the last 2 expansions.

It's 7:16 am here and I'm done with Hstone for the day. I had a 5 minions and 25 health against a druid with one minion on board and 16 health.

They then proceed to play Aviana followed by that bullshit legendary that refreshes your Mana. Here comes Maly, two faces, and something else followed by a swipe that does 19 damage face and clears my board. His one minion then finishes me off.

/whiny, bitter rant

Weird month. Hit 12 last two months (not great but I only started playing seriously last fall). First was with aggro Shaman but second was with evolve shaman which is a lot less condemnable.

This month I can't get anything going. Like at all.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Weird month. Hit 12 last two months (not great but I only started playing seriously last fall). First was with aggro Shaman but second was with evolve shaman which is a lot less condemnable.

This month I can't get anything going. Like at all.

The difference is you're probably playing less.

patchday

dont get me wrong-- sometimes I do play Pirate Warrior but I have concerns when new expansion drops it will still be dominant. Will suck out the fun with experimenting new decks and stuff if we will just get zerged by Pirates.

so wouldnt it be nice when a new expansion drops it forced people to put at least 10 new expansion cards in their deck? I mean in a special new ranked mode. It would be temporary. This way people are free to experiment and not get our asses kicked by unimaginative decks from previous season

(Anyone watched Batstone when MSoG dropped? I'd love a mode like that)

I remember when MSoG dropped ladder was still overrun with decks from previous season and on top of that people just got ran over by Pirates and crap

patchday

All cards free, ouch lol.

Well I guess what I could do is try to organize my own 'Batstone tournament' in my local area. I know a few Hearthstone players. problem is I'm too cheap to put my own money into a reward lol but maybe I can figure out something....

I know plenty of dudes that at least preorder so we should have some cards to duel with.

wiibomb

Firebat's format is really nice, but if I don't have all cards it is restrictive for me

Interesting how I'm only getting 40 gold daily quests even after rerolling throughout the past week right before a new expansion. I noticed and mentioned the exact same thing here the last 2 expansions.

I always try to hold my quests until I can make them 50g or higher, this last 5 days I haven't been able to roll or reroll almost none of them at 50 or higher, I need to complete them because I can't hold more than the 3...

Water Rogue is the only deck I can be bothered to play in standard.

I'm not even excited at the thought of a new expansion. Maybe its time to hang it up.

Dahbomb

One of those times it was an actual bug that Blizzard had to fix IIRC.

Aeons ago Wizards actually had a rule for MTG that decks had to add a certain amount of cards from each set in standard. But that was because their newest set was complete trash and no one wanted to play with it.

joelseph

Those are all great things Gwent has going for it. What I personally don't like about Gwent is it is very linear. You have a small deck and typically will only draw half your cards. From the cards you draw, you only interact with each one once. Your decision point is in what order to play the card and where. Once it is on the board there is no more decision points for how to use the card. This type of strategy works better in boardgames where both sides have exactly or very similar card sets. Or you have some working knowledge set of what you are up against. I don't think Condotierre had any aspect of collectible card games when Gwent borrowed it's gameplay mechanics.

Fewr

so wouldnt it be nice when a new expansion drops it forced people to put at least 10 new expansion cards in their deck? I mean in a special new ranked mode. It would be temporary.
I like this. players would only have to get 2 packs of the new expansion to have the 10 new cards required. If you preorder then you're set and obviously with more variety.

patchday

Water Rogue is the only deck I can be bothered to play in standard.

I'm not even excited at the thought of a new expansion. Maybe its time to hang it up.

Well-- if you're still having fun its okay. Not being stoked for the expansion is probably just being cautious.

but if you're burned out I dont blame ya for moving on. Would suck to see less posters around so maybe still drop us a line about your new favorite card game.

(I know I watch streamers play Gwent & Eternal-- even though I do not play them I'm still a fan of a sort)

I tried playing Gwent in Witcher 3 and wasn't impressed by it at all. It seemed pretty boring and just not very fun to play. Is the "real" game want different, other than presentation? I put it down pretty quickly, so am I just missing a whole lot?

Dahbomb

I tried playing Gwent in Witcher 3 and wasn't impressed by it at all. It seemed pretty boring and just not very fun to play. Is the "real" game want different, other than presentation? I put it down pretty quickly, so am I just missing a whole lot?
It's different from the game in Witcher 3. You can't abuse Spies in the actual game as you can in Witcher 3.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
It's different from the game in Witcher 3. You can't abuse Spies in the actual game as you can in Witcher 3.

Yeah the one inside the game is insanely abusable with spies. The real game sort of starts with the core idea of that game, and then goes off in a lot of different directions. The result is probably a lot more fair than the one inside W3, and also a good deal more complex.

bjaelke

Kripparian: Why Is Nobody Playing Zoolock?

Posted just before the nerf went live. Fastforward 2 weeks (Top 30 cards more played post-nerf (relative to pre-nerf)):

pirate-nerfs-g3.png

I do find it weird that Gwent is supposes to be a multiplayer game but it's all 1v1 now

1v1 is multiplayer.

Fewr

Well, the board games Dominion and 7 Wonders (and plenty others I'm sure) advertise themselves as multiplayer games when they´re basically just solitaire in synchrony.

1v1 is multiplayer.

You know what I mean. It's played only once in all the books IIRC but by a couple dwarves and Geralt. It's a party game not a duel.
Well, the board games Dominion and 7 Wonders (and plenty others I'm sure) advertise themselves as multiplayer games when they´re basically just solitaire in synchrony.
Dominion has a bunch of cards affecting other players, the funny part about dominion is that the best strategy is buy only coins and points.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom