• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hi-Def Media Lovefest: The war is over and we can all go home.

Status
Not open for further replies.
thaivo said:
Agreed.

I think something that also needs to be taken into consideration is the fact that the HD-DVD version was priced $5 more than the BD version, which likely meant a bit more profit per unit for WB.

The cost of the combo disc is more than the cost of a BD50. That was confirmed a while ago. So Warner isn't making any extra on it.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Days like these... said:
Thaivo has a very good point. Good luck convincing your mom and dad to buy a ps triple to watch movies on. Now here's a little food for thought think of all your non gaming family and friends how many of them own a ps2 as their dvd player? Exactly, very few if any. I see the same thing happening with the ps triple.
I know blu ray supporter say it wont matter cause cheaper players are coming but even at $399 that's stil gonna be a hard sale to mainstream consumers. Remember GAF does not equal your avg. consumer.
I already did. How? I simply showed them blu-ray movies on high definition TV's.

Even my mom can see the difference between a blu-ray and dvd, which is why i think the people that come in here saying they cant see a difference are full of it.

captive

Oni Jazar said:
Actually Wild Hogs comes out on Blu-ray next week and pulled in 168Million in box office sales.
I loved this movie, ill be getting it next week along with the fifth element.

thaivo said:
$199 is available only through special offers, as you are aware, the present MSRP is $299. $199 is only available through the occasional sale as of now.

However, I believe that such sales are swelling the HD-DVD numbers every day.... of course, this is counteracted by all of the people now dropping $$ down for a 60 gig PS3. But the fact that the numbers are still around 60:40 after the PS3 price drop shows that the lower prices are allowing HD to hold it's current position. Further price drops can only help.

Then there are the questions of:
What happens when the 60gig runs out and PS3 goes back to $599?
What happens when people actually have compelling software to buy on the PS3?
What happens when HD-DVD players are $199 MSRP, and found for $150 retail.

These factors make me believe that the HDM format war, and this thread, will be still going well beyond the start of 2008.

I just visited AVS, and you'll see not many boasting about HD DVD's 85k+ sale of 300, because what this means is that the massive exclusive titles coming to Blu-ray in Q4 - Spiderman 3 (trilogy), Simpsons, Diehard, Pirates, Ratatouille will completely overwhelm what HD DVD has to offer in numbers sold. Heck the difference in the Transformers Blu-ray sales will likely outsell both Bourne Ultimatum and Knocked up combined. And we haven't even gotten to the exclusives yet.

The problem for HD DVD right now is the perception from people that it's a Dying format, and while price drops helps, it isn't big enough to counter Blu-ray. Look at the standalone numbers from the latest NPD: It's 61% HD DVD, 36% Blu-ray and 3% combo players. Blu-ray actually closed the gap despite the huge Toshiba sales. That's REALLY REALLY sad for HD DVD considering the massive price advantage it always held.

thaivo

DarkJediKnight said:
The cost of the combo disc is more than the cost of a BD50. That was confirmed a while ago. So Warner isn't making any extra on it.

I wasn't aware the price differential between combos and regular discs were so high. Last I hear the cost to fabricate a regular HD-DVD was around $1.30.. so it costs $6.30 to manufacture a combo? That seems very high, like a 500% difference.

DarkJediKnight said:
The problem for HD DVD right now is the perception from people that it's a Dying format, and while price drops helps, it isn't big enough to counter Blu-ray. Look at the standalone numbers: It's 61% HD DVD, 36% Blu-ray and 3% combo players. That's REALLY REALLY sad for HD DVD considering the massive price advantage it always held.

I think you are right. The main problem HD-DVD faces is the "perception" that it is a dying format. Definitely a barrier to entry, especially when Best Buy and Circuit City sales people probably repeat the same mantra to potential buyers. This may explain why on Amazon, where buyers are not speaking to a sales person, the Toshiba's are beating all BD players (no counting the PS3) by a large margin.

Obviously BB and CC would prefer to sell a $600 component rather than a $299 component, as the prior provides more profit margin, but the fact that stand-alone sales are still in favor of HD-DVD even in the face of such negativity speaks somewhat to the significance of the low prices.

jjasper

captive said:
I already did. How? I simply showed them blu-ray movies on high definition TV's.

I bought my HDTV and PS3 that we use in my house and my dad has already told me when I move out and take the stuff with me he is getting a new TV and a PS3. I know for a fact he will never play a game on it unless there is a pac man or pong rerelease on it:lol

Raistlin

thaivo said:
I wasn't aware the price differential between combos and regular discs were so high. Last I hear the cost for fabricate a regular HD-DVD was around $1.30.. so it cost $6.30 to manufacture a combo? That seems very high, like 500% difference.

The fab process is pretty streamlined for dual layers ... triple on the otherhand, not so much.

With that in mind, I really don't see the supposed 45GB triple layer HDDVD's coming to fruition in any real fashion. Besides all of the 'other' issues it presents (who knows if older players can be upgraded to work), it is likely the cost o manufacture will be prohibitive.

Basically, it is still a bit smaller than BD50, and would probably be significantly more to fab. Long term, it would only get worse ... as BD50 will get cheaper, but HD45 may not gain much ground due to so few being made.

I'm guessing we will never see it.

thaivo said:
I wasn't aware the price differential between combos and regular discs were so high. Last I hear the cost for fabricate a regular HD-DVD was around $1.30.. so it cost $6.30 to manufacture a combo? That seems very high, like 500% difference.

It may not be the actual cost of the combo disc itself. The word was that a BD50 costs about 50c less than a combo disc, but because a SD version has to be transfered, the additional prep work and manufacturing process might attribute to the cost. The standard def side doesn't get imprinted for free, you know.

Infernal%20Affairs%20Blu%20ray.jpg

My copy of Infernal Affairs came in the mail today, gonna go give it a spin right now.

thaivo

DarkJediKnight said:
It may not be the actual cost of the combo disc itself. The word was that a BD50 costs about 50c less than a combo disc, but because a SD version has to be transfered, the additional prep work and manufacturing process might attribute to the cost. The standard def side doesn't get imprinted for free, you know.

No I understand that they have to run the discs through for the SD side, but it shouldn't be too cost prohibitive. I think perhaps the main costs to consider actually is not the manufacturing cost at all, but licensing fees to the DVD royalty holders. In that respect, I think you may be right about the cost differential between combo's and regular HD discs make them a wash in relation to profitability.

thaivo

Onix said:
The fab process is pretty streamlined for dual layers ... triple on the otherhand, not so much.

With that in mind, I really don't see the supposed 45GB triple layer HDDVD's coming to fruition in any real fashion. Besides all of the 'other' issues it presents (who knows if older players can be upgraded to work), it is likely the cost o manufacture will be prohibitive.

Basically, it is still a bit smaller than BD50, and would probably be significantly more to fab. Long term, it would only get worse ... as BD50 will get cheaper, but HD45 may not gain much ground due to so few being made.

I'm guessing we will never see it.

I wasn't really referring to Triple Layer discs, but I agree with you that triple layer discs would seem to present a difficulty to early adopters and the manufacturing process. However, as we already have full length films at very high quality transfers playing perfectly, is more than 30GB necessary for most releases?

jjasper said:
I bought my HDTV and PS3 that we use in my house and my dad has already told me when I move out and take the stuff with me he is getting a new TV and a PS3. I know for a fact he will never play a game on it unless there is a pac man or pong rerelease on it:lol

Ahh, but I could easily convince my "dad" to purchase a PS3... my "mom," not so much as Days like these... stated. I think she would object to having the PS3 in such a prominent position in the living room... :D

djkimothy

jjasper said:

It will probably next-genned like SuperStar dust HD. Can you imagine them playing it like that. :)

My copy of Infernal Affairs came in the mail today, gonna go give it a spin right now.

The transfer was pretty good... On par with "The Host" I believe.

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
thaivo said:
Then there are the questions of:
What happens when the 60gig runs out and PS3 goes back to $599?

This won't happen. Sony isn't going to raise the price of the PS3. The 80GB will debut at $499.

What happens when people actually have compelling software to buy on the PS3?

They'll play them along with buying movies? I don't see how buying games = not buying movies.

jjasper

thaivo said:
Ahh, but I could easily convince my "dad" to purchase a PS3... my "mom," not so much as Days like these... stated. I think she would object to having the PS3 in such a prominent position in the living room... :D

Yeah mom...........not so much. I don't even think I could convince her into buying a DVD player.

Jim

Ratatouille confirmed for November 6th, along with Cars and the Pixar Short Film Collection.

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/s...s_Up_Ratatouille_on_Blu-ray_this_November/852
Due in stores November 6, day-and-date with the standard-def DVD version, the Blu-ray edition of 'Ratatouille' will boast a 1080p transfer in the film's original 2.40:1 aspect ratio and uncompressed PCM 5.1 audio (at 48kHz/24-bit).

Among the bonus features will be a new documentary on the making of the film, deleted scenes and the short film "Your Friend the Rat." Extra exclusive to the Blu-ray include "Gusteau's Gourmet Game" and a "Cine-Explore" mode, which Disney is dubbing the "ultimate behind-the-scenes innovative experience."

justjohn

one of the most bizzare theories out there is when the ps3 start having games people will stop buying movies. someone explain to me cos it doesnt make sense.

Now seriously, if 300 with its "superior version" can not beat the Bluray version when as as been so graciously pointed out by so many here that the amount of in home HD players is sooooooo superior..that has to be a a bell tolling for many.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
distantmantra said:

nice -- let us know how the video quality and subtitles are. i'd also like to know a good place to order it from

neojubei said:
oh snap where did you buy that from???? I want I want.

Look at my post above yours. All three places carry it.

I ordered from DDDHouse, though. It was the cheapest with shipping ($31).

The picture quality is much better than any of the DVD releases, but the subtitles seem a little simple. Overall, I'm happy with my purchase.

thaivo

justjohn said:
one of the most bizzare theories out there is when the ps3 start having games people will stop buying movies. someone explain to me cos it doesnt make sense.

Well, what is true for me at least is that I have a limited budget to spend on non-essentials. Also there is the issue of free time. Maybe you have the time to be playing 30 hour games and also watch films, but I don't even have enough free time to watch the my movies I buy or get from BB Online.

Additionally, for every game that I purchase, it is less likely that I will be buying a movie anytime soon. Perhaps I am not representative of most hardcore gamers and movie collectors, but I think there is some correlation between better content on PS3, and slowing movie purchases.

thaivo

XMonkey said:
This won't happen. Sony isn't going to raise the price of the PS3. The 80GB will debut at $499.

This is what everyone is relying on, although it's likely, it isn't certain that the 80 gig PS3 will drop in price.

XMonkey said:
They'll play them along with buying movies? I don't see how buying games = not buying movies.

See my post above. This is of course all IMO.

ManaByte said:
?? The 80GB is out now for $599.

only as part of a bundle with motorstorm. What he's saying is that when the 60GB versions are gone and replaced with 80GB standalone PS3's, they'll be $499. Pure speculation, yes- but most agree.

captive

God your both jackasses. Just link the full res pics for both ffs.

Paramount better not fuck us on the audio either!

captive said:

I agree on the audio, I can't wait to see the specs.

For some reason Patriot Games always makes me want to watch Blown Away also

ManaByte

Gold Member
captive said:

Seeing as how they used the Jack Ryan SE releases to be their first ever DTS release on DVD; I doubt it.

FINGER OF DOOM IN HD!!!!
cpdangerse_lg01.jpg

RED OCTOBER TOO!!!
redoctober_se_lg03.jpg

redoctober_se_lg10.jpg

Onix said:
As far as I know, most/all? HD DVD are using the advanced content mode whether the title actually has any advanced content or not ... at least that's what I've read previously.

I'm wondering if that's just the default for HDi?

Guess you're right, answer is in there:

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/show/Joshua_Zyber/High-Def_FAQ/High-Def_FAQ:_Is_HDMI_1.3_Really_Necessary/853

So far, all HD DVD soundtracks have been authored in Advanced mode. Which means nothing will change when new receivers arrive on the market. Despite having HDMI 1.3 transmission and decoders built into the receiver, decoding will still have to take place in the player.

Once again, marketing material from the hardware manufacturers is misleading. Onkyo outright claims that their upcoming DV-HD805 HD DVD player offers "streaming of the new lossless surround sound formats, Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio, as well as two 'lossy' formats, Dolby Digital Plus and DTS®-HD High Resolution Audio." Sure, the player will be able to transmit the bitstreams of those formats, but only if the disc is authored in Basic mode, which no HD DVDs are, a fact they conveniently neglect to mention.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
vanmardigan said:
Nobody is ruling out Ps3 as a BD player, and since that's your false premise,

kaching said:
Say what? Where do I say such a thing? Ridiculous - you're putting words in my mouth.

Yeah, maybe you don't really read what you write:

kaching said:
If PS3 as BD players get ruled out, then so too should any standalone device that could conceivably be used for something else while the buyer waits for the content market to evolve.

Again, nobody is ruling out Ps3 as a BD player, so false premise.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
'Knocked Up' Confirmed For HD DVD this September
original.jpeg

Disc Features:
• Audio Commentary with Writer/Director Judd Apatow, Executive Producer/Star Seth Rogen and Actor Bill Hader.
• Featurettes: "Line-O-Rama," "Roller Coaster Doc," "Directing the Director," "Topless Scene: Wed Design Company"
• Deleted Scenes, Extended/Alternate Scenes
• Music Video: Loudon Wainwright III's "Live at McCabe's: You Can't Fail Me No"
• Gag Reel

HD Exclusive Content:
• Picture in Picture with Writer/Director Judd Apatow and cast

Universal Brings 'Evan Almighty' to HD DVD this October

Side A: HD DVD

* 1080P 2.35:1 Widescreen
* English Dolby True HD 5.1 Surround
* English and French Dolby Digital Plus 5.1 Surround
* English DVS Dolby Digital 2.0
* English SDH and French subtitles
* Picture-in-Picture - Viewers will get a truly "inside" look at the making of the movie through BTS footage and interviews with cast and crew
* Ark Building for Dummies - 3-D pop up graphics give a step-by-step guide to ark building for the viewers at home.
* Animal Wrangler - In sync wtih the movie, graphics give factual information on each type of animal
* Get on Board
* Deleted Scenes
* Outtakes
* The Ark-itects of Noah's Ark
* Becoming Noah
* Steve Carell Unscripted
* Animals on Set Two by Two
* Animal Roundup Game
* The Almighty Green Set
* It's Easy Being Green
* Acts of Random Kindness
* A Flood of Visual Effects