• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon: Zero Dawn | Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
... I really hope you are being sarcastic.
No he's totally serious judging by his post history

Edit : now he says this is sony's zelda that's delusional and moronic. Why does horizon always irritating and insufferable people? Did they kill your dog or something? Or at the very fucking least do some fucking research before making false equivalents

I'm still in shock that GG wrote a game this well. Maybe I'm a naive plebe, but there werent really any moments outside the Brom scene that I would have changed the writing of any line in the game. It just worked. And there weren't any lingering or badly written plot holes that I noticed. Everything that needs to be explained feels like it is, and there are so many secrets buried in the collectible lore that I'm gonna need a GAF team (probably SoulsGAF) to help me decipher.
Do you think the lore is strong enough for a franchise and not every game to just be a continuation story of a few characters ala Uncharted? I would love a direct sequel with Aloy, but would be cool if the universe was good enough that they didn't have to focus on her at all in the future too.

deoee

Will we have the same discussions in the Zelda thread?

Because all of what people say here applies to that game as well.
But it's got a name behind it

Majora's Mask is the worst selling 3D Zelda at over 3 million.
4-5 million then.....I mean Gran Turismo , Uncharted, TLOU, God of war, all sell better or as well. Xelda is not a huge seller, Horizon can legitimally sell as well or more lifetime. Zelda is not some unstoppable juggernaut.

Realeza

Banned
Will we have the same discussions in the Zelda thread?

Because all of what people say here applies to that game as well.
But it's got a name behind it

I don't see it happening, as BOTW will likely have a higher metascore. Horizon people will probably not bring it up because what's the point.

Ridesh

Banned
This is sarcasm, right?

You have witnessed an enigmatic_alex44 post.

The guy is a gem, I remember him saying that Chris Evans deserved an oscar for his cap america performance, I don't know if he was serious or not, I hope so, because he is hilarious.

Sorry for the derail, but the guy cracks me up :D

Kazuo Hirai

I really want everyone to know how much more Titanfall 2 sold than Nioh. It was a staggering amount.
They act like Zelda is the be all end all...The series usually sells 2-3 million....I have switch pre-ordered for it, but I mean, Horizon has zero to worry about, it's going to be big period.

No ,Zelda sold better than you thought, 3-7M
But Horizon also would sell well

reKon

Banned
If you love good action RPGs, you should be hyped for this game.

If you used your bow 70% + time of the time you played Tomb Raider (2013) and satisfied, you should be hyped for this game.

If you love random encounters and witnessing unscripted huge battles while traversing the landscape, you should be hyped for this game.

If you like seeing incredible visuals that come close to Uncharted 4 at near perfect IQ, then you should be hyped as fuck at this game. The game has no performance issues either unlike the popular FFXV does.

The short gameplay clips that I've seen from the non spoiler thread have convinced me that GG has created something special. The sound design, destructible environments, and particle effects are all brilliant, and I don't think I've seen the combination of these in a way like this in any open wold action RPG game before (I have not played Bloodborne yet). Also, I enjoyed hunting in games like RDR, but this just takes it to a whole another level.

What's left to see is how much I'll enjoy the story and how good some of the side quests are but impressions here have been positive for the most part. Even if it doesn't grab me (most video game stories don't except with some RPGs and TLoU), the lore can add a ton. Final Fantasy X's plot was very basic and straightforward, but all the lore about Spira added so much to the overall experience and made it memorable. Hopefully, Horizon can pull off something similar.

We have GAFers here like SlasherJPC and Lamp who have been sharing impressions with us well before any reviews came out. The great scores were not a surprise at all.

The guy is a gem, I remember him saying that Chris Evans deserved an oscar for his cap america performance, I don't know if he was serious or not, I hope so, because he is hilarious.

Alex is a treasure.

Realeza

Banned
4-5 million then.....I mean Gran Turismo , Uncharted, TLOU, God of war, all sell better or as well. Xelda is not a huge seller, Horizon can legitimally sell as well or more lifetime. Zelda is not some unstoppable juggernaut.

Launches in two consoles. It's a launch game. It has the chance of doing 8 million LTD as Twilight Princess did.

No ,Zelda sold better than you thought 3-7M
But Horizon also would sell well

OK, so my point stands though.....it is not some massive IP, it's popular and one of my favourites, but come on. nintendo has far bigger franchises.

Launches in two consoles. It's a launch game. It has the chance of doing 8 million LTD as Twilight Princess did.

OK, doesn't change my point. A chance, Horizon has a chance too, I am talking current figures for the franchise. Horizon launches on a console with 55 Million, way more the wii-u ad switch combined.

?

Horizon, Sony's "Zelda", is releasing within 2 weeks of Nintendo's most anticipated game in 5 years which happens to be Zelda. Horizon reviewed well but the comparisons are only getting Horizon more attention.

People are invested in seeing if someone actually manages to make a decent Zelda style game other than Nintendo (Darksiders was the last one that came close) and Horizon turning out pretty good is nice, but the close release of Breath of the Wild definitely has helped Horizon and given it more attention.
The real question is how is this game in any way, shape, or form anything like Zelda?

I've been seeing this comparison for weeks now and it makes absolutely zero sense.

Not aimed completely at you

VpomRurd

If you love good action RPGs, you should be hyped for this game.

If you used your bow 70% + time of the time you played Tomb Raider (2013) and satisfied, you should be hyped for this game.

If you love random encounters and witnessing unscripted huge battles while traversing the landscape, you should be hyped for this game.

If you like seeing incredible visuals that come close to Uncharted 4 at near perfect IQ, then you should be hyped as fuck at this game. The game has no performance issues either unlike the popular FFXV does.

The short gameplay clips that I've seen from the non spoiler thread have convinced me that GG has created something special. The sound design, destructible environments, and particle effects are all brilliant, and I don't think I've seen the combination of these in a way like this in any open wold action RPG game before (I have not played Bloodborne yet). Also, I enjoyed hunting in games like RDR, but this just takes it to a whole another level.

What's left to see is how much I'll enjoy the story and how good some of the side quests are but impressions here have been positive for the most part. Even if it doesn't grab me (most video game stories don't except with some RPGs and TLoU), the lore can add a ton. Final Fantasy X's plot was very basic and straightforward, but all the lore about Spira added so much to the overall experience and made it memorable. Hopefully, Horizon can pull off something similar.

We have GAFers here like SlasherJPC and Lamp who have been sharing impressions with us well before any reviews came out. The great scores were not a surprise at all.

I'm already hyped for this (have it pre-ordered and bought a Pro for it) but goddamn I am even more hyped now. Thank you, sir/madam.

?

Horizon, Sony's "Zelda", is releasing within 2 weeks of Nintendo's most anticipated game in 5 years which happens to be Zelda. Horizon reviewed well but the comparisons are only getting Horizon more attention.

People are invested in seeing if someone actually manages to make a decent Zelda style game other than Nintendo (Darksiders was the last one that came close) and Horizon turning out pretty good is nice, but the close release of Breath of the Wild definitely has helped Horizon and given it more attention.

Yup, people get way too worked up over video games.

Just relax.

Only people calling it Sony's Zelda are Nintendo fans.....It is nothing like Zelda.

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.

Alex is a treasure.

cqpYR2l.gif

Am I passionate? Yes

Do I exaggerate on occasion?
Yes

Realeza

Banned
So what's the point of the Zelda discussions here?
LIterally makes no sense

Zelda people baiting Horizon because they feel overconfident on their franchise. Or Horizon people who feel the opposite about their franchise.

Yeah, either way is silly, but that's how it is.

Soon there going to be talk about who's prettier Link or Aloy lol.

Anyways. Preorder Horizon for my cousin, hes in for a surprise on Friday when the mail is delivered.

deoee

?

Yup, people get way too worked up over video games.

Just relax.

We don't even know how BOTW will turn out, maybe it's not like Zelda anymore but more like [insert generic open world title]

Floody

Can we change the thread title to Zelda |OT|

Still want both game's OTs to be

Horizon |OT| Breath of The Wild
&
The Legend of Zeld |OT| Zero Dawn
Just to fuck with people.

Edit: actually might confuse some so much that they try and derail the games own OT by bringing it up.

ISee

I haven't played HZD yet (obviously), but I really begin to wonder why people compare this and zela. What is so similar about them? To me they are seem to have their own identity and gameplay focus.

Icolin

Banned

This is gold:
bARng2J.gif

Have you seen the Wii U library? It's exclusives trounce the PS4 library.

Have you seen the Switch? The PS4 Pro is shaping up to be an overpriced disappointment meanwhile Nintendo is bringing that innovation back to this creatively bankrupt industry. Nintendo ain't playing around any longer.

randomengine...
1175.gif

What are you even arguing about anymore? We shouldn't take aggregate as gospels? Yeah, we have known that for a long time. We have ability to do critical thinking as well.

Also, those of us who didn't know, now know thanks to your work.

You keep throwing non-sequiturs about owning different consoles and hype culture, and all it's doing is giving us a window into your life. And conclusion we are gathering is that something about reviews of this game is bothering you from inside.

BTW, isn't this post kind of aggregating some sort of consensus? You couldn't even help putting in your confirmation bais in this because majority of publications really liked and story and presentation and were in fact surprised by it.
He is a troll. Just ignore everything he posts. Hopefully he'll shut up and go away.

Osahi

I haven't played HZD yet (obviously), but I really begin to wonder why people compare this and zela. What is so similar about them? To me they are seem to have their own identity and gameplay focus.

Open worlds, bow and arrow & melee-combat in both.

They are in ways similar, while in others they are completely different. But I can see why they get compared actually.

reKon

Banned
The real question is how is this game in any way, shape, or form anything like Zelda?

I've been seeing this comparison for weeks now and it makes absolutely zero sense.

Not aimed completely at you

TBH, this is something that I expect casual gamers to say. Like when I was in College, I was playing SoTC on PS2 and I had a friend that said it looks like Zelda because there was a dude riding a horse.

Zelda people baiting Horizon because they feel overconfident on their franchise. Or Horizon people who feel the opposite about their franchise.

Yeah, either way is silly, but that's how it is.

Overconfident my ass it's nothing but insecurity. Reviewers are gonna be coming off from the high that is this game, and they are gonna be rushed into playing Zelda because it's been mentioned that Nintendo hasn't sent out demo kits yet for reviewers and Zelda is gonna be directly compared to this game on a technical and gameplay scale. And it could honestly go either way. This isn't overconfidence in the least it's fucking insecurity in the most obvious way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom