• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon: Zero Dawn | Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
You tell me, they all came into a review thread of a game on a "rival" console and started bringing up Zelda. It's been a good 15 years since I was in high school but that's all but insecurity in a nutshell. Why come in here and start saying well Zelda is better and will get a better aggregate and the like if you didn't feel like you needed to throw it into the fight to be talked up. It's nothing but textbook insecurity projection.

Just to be clear, I didn't come in here talking about Zelda at all. I am only addressing bogus arguments of others who are mentioning it. I realize they are derailing the thread and im participating so I will refrain.

My point was about review aggregates only.

Forbes... what are you doing?

N6N6jLg.png

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
This is gold:

LMAO, a nintendo troll, how shocking. Wii-u trounces PS4 guys.

bARng2J.gif

Can you read?

I said the Wii U exclusive library trounces the PS4 exclusives and I ain't the only one with that opinion. I owned both before I got rid of the PS4 after too many disappointments and the Wii U has given me most of my favorite games this gen (with the rest either on 3DS or Vita).

Being compared to Zelda is the biggest compliment Horizon can receive, not sure why that makes y'all so mad lol.

I love this thread lol It went from people being happy to see a game get good scores to worrying over a mediocre score to Zelda to Xbox One to Zelda to aggregate scoring to Zelda with the people who are excited to play this when it releases popping in now and then to restore some sanity. 88 is a very very good aggregate score in my book - I look forward to seeing if I enjoy it as much as the aggregate did. Also I like cats. If we are going to inject nonsense I propose cats.

Hearing conspiracies abound on Twitter over deviating scores, I jumped on here to see what the fuss was all about... Now I too wish to propose cats.

KZObsessed

Main thing I'm happy about with these reviews and the impressions from people who got the game early, is just how highly regarded the story is. There's a couple of reviewers who didn't seem to enjoy it but the rest of the praise is incredibly high. I don't think I've seen a game's story be described as "near perfect" before. Oscar worthy, but not near perfect :p

And everyone who's got it early seem to love it.

Hearing conspiracies abound on Twitter over deviating scores, I jumped on here to see what the fuss was all about... Now I too wish to propose cats.

Do they have a scorpio symbol by their name? lol.

bARng2J.gif

Can you read?

I said the Wii U exclusive library trounces the PS4 exclusives and I ain't the only one with that opinion. I owned both before I got rid of the PS4 after too many disappointments and the Wii U has given me most of my favorite games this gen (with the rest either on 3DS or Vita).

Being compared to Zelda is the biggest compliment Horizon can receive, not sure why that makes y'all so mad lol.

Oh I can, and it's clear what your agenda is.

Man, photo mode is gonna be frustrating

Presumably there will be moments where a robot is jumping at me and would make an amazing shot, but I won't remember to pause it, and if I do it'll break the action.

A rewind function would be amazing, but not sure how much processing power that'd require.

reKon

Banned
ugh this reminds me of how awful that Uncharted 4 review was. Not even talking about the score. It was legitimately a shitty review, lol.

Why Sony don't have a Horizon Pro Bundle ready to compete I don't know.

I don't know for sure but if I had to guess they figure Horizon would be an instant attach for most so then they could keep the price of the bundles down. Keep old bundles at $250 and a $60 game is $310, buyer gets 2 games. Where a new bundle with a new game would be $300. I can't see them pricing the horizon bundle at $250 as soon as it came out.

Floody

Because so far whatever they ship sells out. Why would they bundle when it sells out?

Because another Platform holder is about to release a new console, and Horizon seems to be one of, if not the best game to utilize the Pro, it doesn't have to get a huge push afterwards, just seems like it'd be a smart move to have something very enticing also on store shelves.

Elandyll

Banned
That does not sound like a 9 to me.
We'll see on MC...

The review does not list a single negative I could see, unless you count it being like a "deftly engineered Hollywood movie", " not specially surprised by plot twists" as such. The conclusion doesn't read as being overly enthusiastic, but it could be anywhere between 8 and 9 imo when you read as a whole. He does mention playing to the end for 70hrs in a world "easy to lose myself in" though.

I felt compelled to see Aloy’s journey through to the credits. This was in part due to how well the designers balance the story, combat, and exploration sections of the game. I found the game’s environments to be noticeably well-designed, varied yet harmonious. Learning how best to adjust my tactics to take on the different robot classes was a routine I readily got used to. One of my favorites fights involved luring enemies to a river stream where I took on as many as I could, for as long as I could. And then jumping over a waterfall like Daniel Day-Lewis in “The Last of the Mohicans” to escape and heal up.

Edit: yep, it's an 8.

KAL2006

Banned
Because another Platform holder is about to release a new console, and Horizon seems to be one of, if not the best game to utilize the Pro, it doesn't have to get a huge push afterwards, just seems like it'd be a smart move to have something very enticing also on store shelves.

I don't know about other countries but in the UK PS4 Pro is sold out most of the time. I think first Sony need to make enough units.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom