• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon: Zero Dawn | Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

SgtCobra

Zelda people baiting Horizon because they feel overconfident on their franchise. Or Horizon people who feel the opposite about their franchise.

Yeah, either way is silly, but that's how it is.
More like the former, it shouldn't take place in this thread. If people want to discuss this silly "rivalry" between both games then they should open a thread about it. This whole thread has gone to shit (who thought that could be possible by now?) thanks to these comparisons which don't make sense.

Realeza

Banned
Overconfident my ass it's nothing but insecurity. Reviewers are gonna be coming off from the high that is this game, and they are gonna be rushed into playing Zelda because it's been mentioned that Nintendo hasn't sent out demo kits yet for reviewers and Zelda is gonna be directly compared to this game on a technical and gameplay scale. And it could honestly go either way. This isn't overconfidence in the least it's fucking insecurity in the most obvious way.

Retail copies of Zelda have been sent to press already, dog.

Retail copies of Zelda have been sent to press already, dog.

That's not what I said at all, many gaming sites and reviewers have said they are expecting their Switch Demo Kits this week. With yesterday being a holiday they are probably coming in today or some time later in the week. Can't do much with a game without a demo kit to play it in....

Zakalwe

Banned
I've seen review threads implode, but this is something for the books.

Well done everyone involved!

-

Anyway... I was paid early. Is there a UK site that has a history of sending pre-orders out early? I never pre-order, but I'm considering it here. The hype has me...

4-5 million then.....I mean Gran Turismo , Uncharted, TLOU, God of war, all sell better or as well. Xelda is not a huge seller, Horizon can legitimally sell as well or more lifetime. Zelda is not some unstoppable juggernaut.

I think you're really underestimating how few single platform exclusive games actually sell over 4m units. Horizon Dawn being compared to Zelda is generally a compliment anyway, and by all appearances, it seems to deserve it.

reKon

Banned
I ended up pre-ordering mine from Best Buy. I wonder how it's doing at that retailer.

-

Anyway... I was paid early. Is there a UK site that has a history of sending pre-orders out early? I never pre-order, but I'm considering it here. The hype has me...

No. Uncharted 3 was much worse.

Realeza

Banned
That's not what I said at all, many gaming sites and reviewers have said they are expecting their Switch Demo Kits this week. With yesterday being a holiday they are probably coming in today or some time later in the week. Can't do much with a game without a demo kit to play it in....

Switch units as well. They had 2 weeks to complete the game, and if needed, they can assign scores later.

LMAO some of you need a reality check, the reason this thread is so huge is BECAUSE of Breath of the Wild.

If Zelda wasn't coming out soon this thread would possibly be half the size. (I can't imagine the mess if Zelda reviews worse than Horizon, though that seems unlikely.)

This is great wind up material. You've surpassed Chinner at this sort of thing.

Floody

Going so well too, only a matter of time before the lock at this point, if it continues like this. Just hope it doesn't spill out over to the first impressions thread.

kpaadet

?

Horizon, Sony's "Zelda", is releasing within 2 weeks of Nintendo's most anticipated game in 5 years which happens to be Zelda. Horizon reviewed well but the comparisons are only getting Horizon more attention.

People are invested in seeing if someone actually manages to make a decent Zelda style game other than Nintendo (Darksiders was the last one that came close) and Horizon turning out pretty good is nice, but the close release of Breath of the Wild definitely has helped Horizon and given it more attention.

Now Horizon is a Zelda clone, but I kept hearing it was a Ubisoft game.

Vice

OK, so my point stands though.....it is not some massive IP, it's popular and one of my favourites, but come on. nintendo has far bigger franchises.

Zelda is one of the more popular franchsies in the world. I think it's at around 80 million copies total putting it ahead of nearly every first part franchise aside form Mario, Pokemon and Wii ___. I don't believe any Sony or Microsoft series has sales figures like that, but GT is very close. Third party seriesincluded Zelda is behind a handful

joecanada

More like the former, it shouldn't take place in this thread. If people want to discuss this silly "rivalry" between both games then they should open a thread about it. This whole thread has gone to shit (who thought that could be possible by now?) thanks to these comparisons which don't make sense.

yeah now Horizon is Sony's Zelda LOL , I've seen it all. I'm sure that's exactly what the developers thought when they were sitting there plotting out this grand game with robot dinosaurs........ how can we make this more.................. Zelda ......... lol.

Elandyll

Banned
Overconfident my ass it's nothing but insecurity. Reviewers are gonna be coming off from the high that is this game, and they are gonna be rushed into playing Zelda because it's been mentioned that Nintendo hasn't sent out demo kits yet for reviewers and Zelda is gonna be directly compared to this game on a technical and gameplay scale. And it could honestly go either way. This isn't overconfidence in the least it's fucking insecurity in the most obvious way.
Let's not go crazy over here.

Zelda's history (mainline titles) suggests that the expectation should be anywhere between 90 and 95 MC.

Under 90 would be the surprise here, which again makes one wonder why some Ninty fans are going crazy with a game that isn't similar at all to BotW (being an epic mix of TR, Witcher 3, some Far Cry Primal, some Skyrim, coupled with Dinobots with GG tech wizardry) and happening to being nicely reviewed for a new IP.

ISee

Open worlds, bow and arrow & melee-combat in both.

They are in ways similar, while in others they are completely different. But I can see why they get compared actually.

Many games have common things like the same weaponry or a comparable combat style. But you could also throw in TR into this mix. There are dungeons to explore, the areas are connected, there is climbing, there is a bow, there is a 3d person camera etc.

Switch units as well. They had 2 weeks to complete the game, and if needed, they can assign scores later.

Sorry I tend to believe the word of people who are actually in the business over some random person who doesn't really know on a gaming forum who is showing their bias... lol

tLebOr2.jpg

I love this thread lol It went from people being happy to see a game get good scores to worrying over a mediocre score to Zelda to Xbox One to Zelda to aggregate scoring to Zelda with the people who are excited to play this when it releases popping in now and then to restore some sanity. 88 is a very very good aggregate score in my book - I look forward to seeing if I enjoy it as much as the aggregate did. Also I like cats. If we are going to inject nonsense I propose cats.

Zelda is one of the more popular franchsies in the world. I think it's at around 80 million copies total putting it ahead of nearly every first part franchise aside form Mario, Pokemon and Wii ___. I don't believe any Sony or Microsoft series has sales figures like that, but GT is very close. Third party seriesincluded Zelda is behind a handful

Zelda has been around since the 80's...but each title on average is around 4 million, very good, but hardly a juggernaut.

Let's not go crazy over here.

Zelda's history (mainline titles) suggests that the expectation should be anywhere between 90 and 95 MC.

Under 90 would be the surprise here, which again makes one wonder why some Ninty fans are going crazy with a game that isn't similar at all to BotW (being an epic mix of TR, Witcher 3, some Far Cry Primal, some Skyrim, coupled with Dinobots with GG tech wizardry) and happening to being nicely reviewed for a new IP.

I said it could go either way I haven't played BoTW yet so I can't comment on it. But let's not act like this response from Nintendo fanboys isn't anything more then them being salty and insecure over the scores of this. Otherwise it would've never been brought up.

Realeza

Banned
I said it could go either way I haven't played BoTW yet so I can't comment on it. But let's not act like this response from Nintendo fanboys isn't anything more then them being salty and insecure over the scores of this. Otherwise it would've never been brought up.

Insecure about what is the question? They must be pretty ignorant because, based on franchise pedigree alone, a higher score than Horizon is almost guaranteed.

MKIL65

I mean this is typically how I feel when it comes to platform wars.

But Randomengine kept derailing the thread, so we had to tell him TO STOP.

Then all these people keep pouring in to the thread, to defend their friend, by saying ''YOU'RE JUST AS BAD'' as if he was being attacked... Jesus.

Kazuo Hirai

I really want everyone to know how much more Titanfall 2 sold than Nioh. It was a staggering amount.
This is crazy.

It makes me question why Sony still hasnt announced a single Horizon PS4 bundle.

No, SIE-Taiwan announced a pro bundle for $460
But the problem is single Asia pro from scalper is still $500, pro shortage here

Cyberia

‘Horizon Zero Dawn’ review: Engaging, polished entertainment

“Horizon Zero Dawn” reminded me very much of a deftly engineered Hollywood movie. I wasn’t especially surprised by its plot twists, but that didn’t mean I didn’t generally enjoy it. Let’s see if it develops into a franchise with worthwhile staying power.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...olished-entertainment/?utm_term=.3b935c242a50

We'll have to wait until the review gets listed on Metacritic to find out the score.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Wonder how it'll do launch week. I could see it moving 2-3 million. Seems theres a lot of excitement and hype built over the years.

Insecure about what is the question? They must be pretty ignorant because, based on franchise pedigree alone, a higher score than Horizon is almost guaranteed.

You tell me, they all came into a review thread of a game on a "rival" console and started bringing up Zelda. It's been a good 15 years since I was in high school but that's all but insecurity in a nutshell. Why come in here and start saying well Zelda is better and will get a better aggregate and the like if you didn't feel like you needed to throw it into the fight to be talked up. It's nothing but textbook insecurity projection.

Cleve

Wow, when I saw the 5/5 from GB, I assumed it was another Brad review. Jeff's review really left me even more hyped for this. I need to get nioh wrapped up quick.

It's odd, but maybe because they don't have enough stock anyway.

Many. Juggernaut is COD, GTA, Battlefield, etc.. Heck even Uncharted has averaged higher per game.

Uncharted as existed for only 2 gens. Come back in 20 years with multiple releases per gen and see where the sales are at that point.

Even so, if Uncharted is a juggernaut - a game series few if anyone outside gaming culture has even heard of, how is Zelda not one?

Your bias is showing.

Wonder how it'll do launch week. I could see it moving 2-3 million. Seems theres a lot of excitement and hype built over the years.

Horizon is definitely going to sell, I see a very strong launch and LTD sales.

Uncharted as existed for only 2 gens. Come back in 20 years with multiple releases per gen and see where the sales are at that point.

Even so, if Uncharted is a juggernaut - a game series few if anyone outside gaming culture has even heard of, how is Zelda not one?

Your bias is showing.

This has nothing to do with anything, and lol at my bias, you own a mirror?

What is your benchmark on a 'juggernaut'? sells more than Zelda?

Sells in big numbers, AAA games that sell 3-4 million are common. COD, GTA, those are juggernauts.

Realeza

Banned
You tell me, they all came into a review thread of a game on a "rival" console and started bringing up Zelda. It's been a good 15 years since I was in high school but that's all but insecurity in a nutshell. Why come in here and start saying well Zelda is better and will get a better aggregate and the like if you didn't feel like you needed to throw it into the fight to be talked up. It's nothing but textbook insecurity projection.

No, it's the Internet, lol. Baiting people is some sort of requirement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom