• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon: Zero Dawn | Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can see the argument that the WiiU has a stronger exclusive lineup

They're not for me, but Bayonetta 2, Mario Maker, Splatoon, SSB, 3D World and Mario Kart 8 are very highly regarded

I'm personally still waiting for PS4 to come into its own in that aspect, especially compared to PS3

I'm what you could call a Sony fan (boy?) but my Top 3 games from this gen are Sony games: Bloodborne, Uncharted 4, The Last Guardian (no particular order). So I think if you like Sony's studios you have a really great console, I mean in just two months I've played The Last Guardian, Gravity Rush 2, and Nioh, all good to great or fantastic games and I'm not even counting Yakuza 0 (because I don't like it but it's obvious that's personal). Now you have Horizon...

jmaine_ph

I love this thread lol It went from people being happy to see a game get good scores to worrying over a mediocre score to Zelda to Xbox One to Zelda to aggregate scoring to Zelda with the people who are excited to play this when it releases popping in now and then to restore some sanity. 88 is a very very good aggregate score in my book - I look forward to seeing if I enjoy it as much as the aggregate did. Also I like cats. If we are going to inject nonsense I propose cats.
Once the news reaches a couple of hours old the nonsense starts. This is every thread ever BTW. 88 is a great score this generation. Zelda is being mentioned simply because of the proximity of release and the Far Cry talk is nauseating (not in this thread but elsewhere)

The Lamp

I unfortunately had to stop right at what I believe is the last mission of the game (but one nice thing about this game is when you think it may be over, it's not). I am selling the game to another GAFer (I can wait to finish. I want someone else to experience this game early!)

But at 33 hours, I can review 99% of the game, so here is my review. Forgive the sporadic thoughts of this review. It's not very eloquent but I wrote it on lunch break at work.

This is a fantastic open world action adventure game with Diet RPG elements. It reminds me of the best parts of inFamous 2, MGSV, RDR, The Witcher 3, and Zelda Breath of the Wild blended together. It's very smart, cleanly polished and presented in almost every one of its mechanics. It avoids risky gimmicks in trade for cleaning up most game mechanics we've gotten used to in the above games until they're just seamless and fun. And the story is beyond anything I expected for GG. It's controlled, precise in its delivery. In fact, everything here is. It's just a big tapestry of consistent, polished, believable storytelling, game mechanics, gameplay systems, visuals, and music. A nearly unblemished gem in modern console gaming.

Story:
This is not the most surprising or mindblowing premise, plot, or storytelling ever done. In fact, you already know the premise that this takes place in the future after human civilization has toppled. The question is why, though? How did this happen? GG does a fantastic job of fleshing out the "why" and "how" into a web of elegant complexity that stretches from the lore of the past into the politics of the future. It's well thought out and never ceases to be interesting to know what's going on. They reveal it to you one sensible bit at a time, with major elements coming straight from the cutscenes and missions, to smaller more perplexing elements being fed through lore collectibles, data logs, and audio logs. This ensures that by the end of the game, you have your main questions answered, but there's always more answers to questions for the explorer that seeks them.

Although the plot risks getting a little complicated to follow, the writing is so air-tight and succinct in explanation that you can stay plugged in. My only suggestions are that the cutscenes should be archived, the audio logs should be controllable, and they should include an encyclopedia of characters (maybe they have this? Honestly I didn't check and I didn't beat the game). Regardless, Aloy sometimes summarizes particularly important audio logs that risk being confusing afterward, e.g. "So that means that ___," which always helps ground you in the bottom-line of what is going on. She asks very intuitive and intelligent questions that the player is asking in their minds, making the dialogue very satisfying to watch. This helps the writing stay tight and focused. There are dialogue branches you can choose from. They're interesting in that they don't SEEM to significantly change the plot (though some might, idk!) but they let you steer Aloy's personality a bit. For example, you can sometimes choose between a compassionate, witty, or aggressive response to an NPC. Sometimes these are pivotal plot moments that get remembered. It's fun to respond the way you want to be remembered, or to elicit certain reactions in pivotal moments. Even the side missions have enjoyable side characters and story to explore that flesh out the entire world plot, although the gameplay is very predictable with that.

One more thing I'll say is that the diversity in this game is fantastic. Aloy is the best written female protagonist since Ellie. She's strong and full of passion and conviction, but doesn't wear skimpy outfits. The game makes no sexual comments about her. And there are so many important NPCs of color, both male and female, that I feel like this is another instance where the game consistently nails its reality. Humans of the future are going to be all kinds of shapes and sizes.

Gameplay:
Ooooo, this is good. The combat focuses on projectile weapons, and it's always strategic and important moment-to-moment. I was impressed by how many times I was forced to use something other than my bow to take out powerful enemies, like setting traps and luring my foes into explosive chaos. You also need to use a variety of elemental additions to your weapons to defeat enemies more easily.

The game also streamlines RPG mechanics that usually risk being convoluted or obscure into something straightforward but still fun (at the risk of not being complex enough for some). I like the seamless and straightforward upgrade system. You unlock weapons and gear as you find new merchants, which you get by exploring (it expands your trade network as a brave). Then you buy them as you collect rarer parts and get wealthier. So the difficulty pacing is well-regulated IMO. I will admit that it took a couple of hours before it all felt intuitive to me.

I also want to say that the beginning area is beautiful and introduces you to the story, mechanics, and a couple of side quests, but don't think that's representative of the whole game.

This game is rich, huge, and full of things to do, and none of them feel pointless or padded. It completely avoids Ubisoft syndrome IMO. There's things to do littered on the map, but they have a purpose. Most are optional, but if it's going to lead to a rare beast to hunt, or some cool lore, or a beautiful new area, or a new tallneck to climb, why wouldn't you want to go check it out? This game nails the feeling of continually rewarding and reinstating curiosity.

The beast design? Sweet Moses. Every beast has its animations, its behavior, it's moves and personality, its weaknesses and strengths, and every encounter is thrilling. Even the mundane moments where you're just sneaking up to some Grazers (gazelle-like machines) for a hunt for some blaze and machine parts. However, the larger machine encounters are just amazing. Like boss fights strewn throughout. I hope in Horizon 2, the machine animals can be even more impressive. Being amazed by the size and power of a machine are my favorite moments in the game.

The human combat and encounters are not as intelligent and varied, and this is something they could improve in Horizon 2. The human enemies follow and shoot at you, much like inFamous enemies. But they don't flank, they're not great at avoiding fire, and this doesn't change with difficulty setting. Some better AI here would be more thrilling.

But interestingly enough, the times in the game where you have he option of infiltrating a human base camp or fortress feel a lot like MGSV or AC2, with alertness indicators, stealth options, and silent kills. It's not as deep as MGSV or AC2 obviously, but I appreciated that they attempted the mechanics without ruining them or making them feel unnatural or lazy. Stealth exists in this game because you have to hunt.

My main criticisms are that I hope Horizon 2 has more varied melee combat. I want something more powerful than a spear (other braves have hammers and axes and shit. Why can't I?) and more combos like air slashes. It would be a great risk-reward to make melee symbiotically trade off with projectile combat.

Also, the side quests are not any different in gameplay variety than the main story. You track trails, you shoot things, you climb and platform, you stealth infiltrate. However, the little stories that get you there are really fun! I hope in Horizon 2, they get even more creative with side quests.

My other thing is that I've only visited 2 cauldrons, so I don't have much to say about them. One was easy and simple, the other was just 1 enemy that was too difficult for me so I had to reload to escape. I want them to patch to make sure you can escape cauldrons. However, the cauldrons themselves are very cool/important for the plot, and the reward is very compelling.

In fact, all of the side quests, errands, and things to do feel worthwhile. There's not as many of them as other giant RPGs, but what is here is helpful to complete, fleshes out the lore, and always at least increases your XP and gives you new useful crafting items.

One thing I really like about this game is they tell you what your rewards are before you embark on any quest, so you know if it's worth your time. Very streamlined RPG mechanics. I never feel lost, out of place, or disconnected from my options. I know where everything is, how to get it, and why it's there. It's a huge breath of fresh air in convoluted obscure adventure games with RPG like Dark Souls.

Visuals:
I don't need to write much about this. It's the prettiest console game thus far. And it's open world. Holy shit. It almost never lags or stutters in framerate. The textures remain sharp at almost every distance. The textures aren't quite as sharp as Uncharted 4 in some places (like mountains or dirt), and the facial animations wildly vary in quality from cutscene to NPC dialogue, but the whole product is still a visual masterpiece.

Soundtrack:
Beautiful. It's not the most memorable soundtrack ever, and this is a new franchise, so the tunes aren't yet embroidered with nostalgia, but the music in this game is well-designed. Soft orchestral pieces curl into the environmental sounds as you explore alone. Bombastic arrangements kick in during battle and moments of strife and victory. And different renditions of Horizon's theme sneak in at well-timed plot intervals. It's very well-done.

I could go on but I'll just keep answering questions. The game is phenomenal and worth the price of a PS4, if not a Pro!

I think most would agree that this is at least an ~8/10 (great) game for anyone IMO. But for me it's at least a 9/10 (amazing).

I'm saving 10/10 for Horizon 2 lol

Maximus P

Great reviews. Congrats to the development team and everyone involved. I don't even own a Ps4 anymore but Im glad they appear to have a winner.

If I was a reviewer I would never give a game a 10, so I suppose GAF would hate me :).

I am selling the game to another GAFer (I can wait to finish. I want someone else to experience this game early!)

You're selling it before you beat it, a week before launch?

I can't tell if that's the silliest thing I've ever heard or very nice to whoever else will get to play it early.

The Lamp

Thanks Lamp, but that doesn't sound like an 8 to me at all.

It's not. It's a 9 for me definitely, but I think that almost nobody could see it as less than an 8, which is what I meant by "at least" lol

I realized that it didn't come across the way I meant correctly, so I edited! Thanks

I'm what you could call a Sony fan (boy?) but my Top 3 games from this gen are Sony games: Bloodborne, Uncharted 4, The Last Guardian (no particular order). So I think if you like Sony's studios you have a really great console, I mean in just two months I've played The Last Guardian, Gravity Rush 2, and Nioh, all good to great or fantastic games and I'm not even counting Yakuza 0 (because I don't like it but it's obvious that's personal). Now you have Horizon...

Nioh has yet to plant its roots into my brain as a PS4 exclusive for some reason :p

Gonna complete it tomorrow I think, just in time for Horizon. Looking like a hell of a year with Nioh, Y0, Horizon, Persona and hopefully GoW4. Do we know when Detroit is releasing? Not everyone's cup of tea, but I very much enjoy David Cage games, as regularly stupid as they are.

Wonder what will become of the Decima engine. It seems incredible, wonder if they could license it to non-exclusive third party games. As far as I know basically all of the Sony first party studios use their own engines, which makes me wonder how far those engines could be pushed if more studios used them.

Letting them do their own thing is obviously working though, Infamous:SS looked incredible and was bettered by UC4, which looks like being bettered by Horizon graphically. SSM probably have people wotking around the clock to claim the throne :p

The Lamp

You're selling it before you beat it, a week before launch?

I can't tell if that's the silliest thing I've ever heard or very nice to whoever else will get to play it early.

It's both maybe lol. I'm kind of busy until the weekend anyway, I have other games to play, and I already know 99% of the plot so I'm content to finish that final mission next week.

ajanke

I unfortunately had to stop right at what I believe is the last mission of the game (but one nice thing about this game is when you think it may be over, it's not). I am selling the game to another GAFer (I can wait to finish. I want someone else to experience this game early!)

But at 33 hours, I can review 99% of the game, so here is my review. Forgive the sporadic thoughts of this review. It's not very eloquent but I wrote it on lunch break at work.

This is a fantastic open world action adventure game with Diet RPG elements. It reminds me of the best parts of inFamous 2, MGSV, RDR, The Witcher 3, and Zelda Breath of the Wild blended together. It's very smart, cleanly polished and presented in almost every one of its mechanics. It avoids risky gimmicks in trade for cleaning up most game mechanics we've gotten used to in the above games until they're just seamless and fun. And the story is beyond anything I expected for GG. It's controlled, precise in its delivery. In fact, everything here is. It's just a big tapestry of consistent, polished, believable storytelling, game mechanics, gameplay systems, visuals, and music. A nearly unblemished gem in modern console gaming.

Story:
This is not the most surprising or mindblowing premise, plot, or storytelling ever done. In fact, you already know the premise that this takes place in the future after human civilization has toppled. The question is why, though? How did this happen? GG does a fantastic job of fleshing out the "why" and "how" into a web of elegant complexity that stretches from the lore of the past into the politics of the future. It's well thought out and never ceases to be interesting to know what's going on. They reveal it to you one sensible bit at a time, with major elements coming straight from the cutscenes and missions, to smaller more perplexing elements being fed through lore collectibles, data logs, and audio logs. This ensures that by the end of the game, you have your main questions answered, but there's always more answers to questions for the explorer that seeks them.

Although the plot risks getting a little complicated to follow, the writing is so air-tight and succinct in explanation that you can stay plugged in. My only suggestions are that the cutscenes should be archived, the audio logs should be controllable, and they should include an encyclopedia of characters (maybe they have this? Honestly I didn't check and I didn't beat the game). Regardless, Aloy sometimes summarizes particularly important audio logs that risk being confusing afterward, e.g. "So that means that ___," which always helps ground you in the bottom-line of what is going on. She asks very intuitive and intelligent questions that the player is asking in their minds, making the dialogue very satisfying to watch. This helps the writing stay tight and focused. There are dialogue branches you can choose from. They're interesting in that they don't SEEM to significantly change the plot (though some might, idk!) but they let you steer Aloy's personality a bit. For example, you can sometimes choose between a compassionate, witty, or aggressive response to an NPC. Sometimes these are pivotal plot moments that get remembered. It's fun to respond the way you want to be remembered, or to elicit certain reactions in pivotal moments. Even the side missions have enjoyable side characters and story to explore that flesh out the entire world plot, although the gameplay is very predictable with that.

One more thing I'll say is that the diversity in this game is fantastic. Aloy is the best written female protagonist since Ellie. She's strong and full of passion and conviction, but doesn't wear skimpy outfits. The game makes no sexual comments about her. And there are so many important NPCs of color, both male and female, that I feel like this is another instance where the game consistently nails its reality. Humans of the future are going to be all kinds of shapes and sizes.

Gameplay:
Ooooo, this is good. The combat focuses on projectile weapons, and it's always strategic and important moment-to-moment. I was impressed by how many times I was forced to use something other than my bow to take out powerful enemies, like setting traps and luring my foes into explosive chaos. You also need to use a variety of elemental additions to your weapons to defeat enemies more easily.

The game also streamlines RPG mechanics that usually risk being convoluted or obscure into something straightforward but still fun (at the risk of not being complex enough for some). I like the seamless and straightforward upgrade system. You unlock weapons and gear as you find new merchants, which you get by exploring (it expands your trade network as a brave). Then you buy them as you collect rarer parts and get wealthier. So the difficulty pacing is well-regulated IMO. I will admit that it took a couple of hours before it all felt intuitive to me.

I also want to say that the beginning area is beautiful and introduces you to the story, mechanics, and a couple of side quests, but don't think that's representative of the whole game.

This game is rich, huge, and full of things to do, and none of them feel pointless or padded. It completely avoids Ubisoft syndrome IMO. There's things to do littered on the map, but they have a purpose. Most are optional, but if it's going to lead to a rare beast to hunt, or some cool lore, or a beautiful new area, or a new tallneck to climb, why wouldn't you want to go check it out? This game nails the feeling of continually rewarding and reinstating curiosity.

The beast design? Sweet Moses. Every beast has its animations, its behavior, it's moves and personality, its weaknesses and strengths, and every encounter is thrilling. Even the mundane moments where you're just sneaking up to some Grazers (gazelle-like machines) for a hunt for some blaze and machine parts. However, the larger machine encounters are just amazing. Like boss fights strewn throughout. I hope in Horizon 2, the machine animals can be even more impressive. Being amazed by the size and power of a machine are my favorite moments in the game.

The human combat and encounters are not as intelligent and varied, and this is something they could improve in Horizon 2. The human enemies follow and shoot at you, much like inFamous enemies. But they don't flank, they're not great at avoiding fire, and this doesn't change with difficulty setting. Some better AI here would be more thrilling.

But interestingly enough, the times in the game where you have he option of infiltrating a human base camp or fortress feel a lot like MGSV or AC2, with alertness indicators, stealth options, and silent kills. It's not as deep as MGSV or AC2 obviously, but I appreciated that they attempted the mechanics without ruining them or making them feel unnatural or lazy. Stealth exists in this game because you have to hunt.

My main criticisms are that I hope Horizon 2 has more varied melee combat. I want something more powerful than a spear (other braces have hammers and axes and shit. Why can't I?) and more combos like air slashes. It would be a great risk-reward to make melee symbiotically trade off with projectile combat.

Also, the side quests are not any different in gameplay variety than the main story. You track trails, you shoot things, you climb and platform, you stealth infiltrate. However, the little stories that get you there are really fun! I hope in Horizon 2, they get even more creative with side quests.

My other thing is that I've only visited 2 cauldrons, so I don't have much to say about them. One was easy and simple, the other was just 1 enemy that was too difficult for me so I had to reload to escape. I want them to patch to make sure you can escape cauldrons. However, the cauldrons themselves are very cool/important for the plot, and the reward is very compelling.

In fact, all of the side quests, errands, and things to do feel worthwhile. There's not as many of them as other giant RPGs, but what is here is helpful to complete, fleshes out the lore, and always at least increases your XP and gives you new useful crafting items.

One thing I really like about this game is they tell you what your rewards are before you embark on any quest, so you know if it's worth your time. Very streamlined RPG mechanics. I never feel lost, out of place, or disconnected from my options. I know where everything is, how to get it, and why it's there. It's a huge breath of fresh air in convoluted obscure adventure games with RPG like Dark Souls.

Visuals:
I don't need to write much about this. It's the prettiest console game thus far. And it's open world. Holy shit. It almost never lags or stutters in framerate. The textures remain sharp at almost every distance. The textures aren't quite as sharp as Uncharted 4 in some places (like mountains or dirt), and the facial animations wildly vary in quality from cutscene to NPC dialogue, but the whole product is still a visual masterpiece.

Soundtrack:
Beautiful. It's not the most memorable soundtrack ever, and this is a new franchise, so the tunes aren't yet embroidered with nostalgia, but the music in this game is well-designed. Soft orchestral pieces curl into the environmental sounds as you explore alone. Bombastic arrangements kick in during battle and moments of strife and victory. And different renditions of Horizon's theme sneak in at well-timed plot intervals. It's very well-done.

I could go on but I'll just keep answering questions. The game is phenomenal and worth the price of a PS4, if not a Pro!

This game is at least an 8/10 game for anyone IMO, but at least a definite 9/10 for me. I'm saving 10/10 for Horizon 2 lol

6IjYKvr_zps1e699111.gif

It's not. It's a 9 for me definitely, but I think that almost nobody could see it as less than an 8, which is what I meant by "at least" lol

I realized that it didn't come across the way I meant correctly, so I edited! Thanks

It reads even more weirder to me now haha, I understood what you meant before.
Great review though, and thank you very much for sharing all your impressions in the impressions thread.

Nioh has yet to plant its roots into my brain as a PS4 exclusive for some reason :p

Gonna complete it tomorrow I think, just in time for Horizon. Looking like a hell of a year with Nioh, Y0, Horizon, Persona and hopefully GoW4. Do we know when Detroit is releasing? Not everyone's cup of tea, but I very much enjoy David Cage games, as regularly stupid as they are.

Wonder what will become of the Decima engine. It seems incredible, wonder if they could license it to non-exclusive third party games. As far as I know basically all of the Sony first party studios use their own engines, which makes me wonder how far those engines could be pushed if more studios used them.

Letting them do their own thing is obviously working though, Infamous:SS looked incredible and was bettered by UC4, which looks like being bettered by Horizon graphically. SSM probably have people wotking around the clock to claim the throne :p

I'm always interested in David Cage's games, they're super flawed to me but I embrace the kind of stories he wants to tell, is just that for every right thing he does there's another awful that follows but still, it always excites me.

jmaine_ph

Story:

Gameplay:

My main criticisms are that I hope Horizon 2 has more varied melee combat. I want something more powerful than a spear (other braces have hammers and axes and shit. Why can't I?) and more combos like air slashes. It would be a great risk-reward to make melee symbiotically trade off with projectile combat.

Visuals:

Soundtrack:

This game is at least an 8/10 game for anyone IMO, but at least a definite 9/10 for me. I'm saving 10/10 for Horizon 2 lol

Won't read your review because I'm trying to stay away from being influenced but I did want to thank you for your great coverage of impressions, pics, gifs, videos and whatever else you provided us throughout these few days. Awesome stuff man.

RavenHawk

I'm pleasantly surprised with the review scores thus far. Although I am not particularly fond of Guerrilla's previous efforts, this seems like a good addition to my library.

Tratorn

But the scores are weighted. So, couldn't Edge feasibly make up the gap by themselves? Granted, I have no clue how much weight one has over the other.

Not with a 9/10. It already has 77 reviews, so even with the weight of EDGE it is not enough.
Maybe with 10/10, but I doubt we'll get that. :p

Tratorn

Won't read your review because I'm trying to stay away from being influenced but I did want to thank you for your great coverage of impressions, pics, gifs, videos and whatever else you provided us throughout these few days. Awesome stuff man.

Same here, thanks @The Lamp

The Lamp

You're welcome everyone! Just gonna post my review in the other thread and then I'm off to the post office to send this game to a fellow GAFer :)

Peroroncino

4377fc7a0cb8c63b5dddeadec7bbcd81.jpg

btw. number 88 comparisons are getting too extreme, lol.

killatopak

What is this thread? Is this gamefaqs?

A few days ago HZD was copy of Far Cry, Assassin's Creed and Watchdogs. They meant that as an insult as well despite some good things those games has.

Now that it had reviewed well it's suddenly a Zelda Clone?

--
I've read a few recent pages and can you guys not see the blatant insults and mud slinging on both sides here? All traces of civility is gone. Now that Zelda fans have gone and went to the thread and derailed it so many times, it's certainly a guarantee the people who are defending HZD here will come to the Zelda review thread for a reckoning and it will not by any means be a positive one.

Also,
Scorpio :)

Gorillaz

It feels weird people are positive over a GG game.

Like killzone 2 was actually good as hell. It's biggest mistake
other then the infamous e3 stuff people were expecting
was the fact they launched it the same window as MW2. Nothing survived Modern Warfare 2 that holiday season FPS wise.

If they would have launched killzone 2 in the early spring of the following year like they are with this game it would have done great imo.

Radacs Academy servers were too good to me. Not too many console shooters had good server browsers last gen. GG gets some love for that.

level1

It'd just shit up any OT or whatever the popular pre OT thread is, they are a necessary evil imo.

Edit: or everyone would just get their own thread, which well if you ever go into an Angry Joe review thread has it's own problems.

Yo but hold up..If EVERYONE got their own review thread.. No one would have to ask why Angry Joe gets his own review thread! I think you're on to something.

Oooh didn't know it had a photo mode. That's a good 10 hours extra game time just taking and editing photos haha.

Would have loved a Pro and 4K TV to go with this one but alas.

It feels weird people are positive over a GG game.

Like killzone 2 was actually good as hell. It's biggest mistake
other then the infamous e3 stuff people were expecting
was the fact they launched it the same window as MW2. Nothing survived Modern Warfare 2 that holiday season FPS wise.

If they would have launched killzone 2 in the early spring of the following year like they are with this game it would have done great imo.

What are you talking about? Modern Warfare 2 came out November 10, 2009, and Killzone 2 came out February 26, 2009, almost nine months earlier, and two days earlier than Horizon is coming out. If Horizon is spring then so was Killzone 2.

Killzone 2 is one of the greatest shooters ever made and it was not negatively impacted by Modern Warfare 2 at all. They each had their own audience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom