• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon: Zero Dawn | Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
RDR is a suspension bridge. It's supported in the beginning and in the end by two very strong females but the middle is dire.

Stuff 5/5

Stuff: "Remember Zoids? Those little, plastic, clip-together robo-dinosaur things from the ‘80s that you’d wind-up and send marching across a table at whatever other toys you had knocking around at the time? You don’t? Well someone at Guerilla Games must do, because I’ll be damned if they’re not the genesis for the attention-grabbing enemies in Horizon Zero Dawn."

Good Stuff
The mechanical dino-animals are brilliantly realised
Genuinely compelling setting and story
Lots of the mechanics are borrowed, but they work
Looks utterly gorgeous, particularly on a Pro

Bad Stuff
Melee combat is rather basic
Your dialogue decisions amount to very little

Vire

Has there been any new developments or really good videos/articles of interest since page 80? That's where I last left off. 😂

Trust me, as a huge western fan, I completely agree. The atmosphere and world design of RDR is perfection.

And like most open world games, I spent more time in the world, exploring, and taking in the sights than doing story missions

RDR has a strong first act and third one, the middle is where it's hit and miss, there're these characters: The graveyard man, the magic potion seller and the drunk, that provides pretty uninteresting quests that belong to the main plot and it's super boring when you you want to do is face Bill Williamson. That part was really boring to me. In mexico starts to get better again but it takes its time.
The Witcher III goes great until you get to Novigrad (don't kill me) and you have to find Dandelion... terribly boring to me, searching to all his girlfriends and stuff... I had to replay the game because I lost my save and when I reached there I literally abandoned it. It picks up again when you reach the last third of the game although the climax is really bland.

They on Metacritic?

Nope.

Will it be on Metacritic tho.

Nope.

Is Dualshockers on Metacritic? I'm not sure if the same reviews does everything there, (shouldn't be possible) but they definitely seem to value gameplay and strong stories. I think they will give Horizon a 9.5 or even a perfect score.

Alo0oy

Banned
Looks like it settled at 88, I don't think it's going to move in either direction unless EDGE gives it either a 10 or a 6.

Is Dualshockers on Metacritic? I'm not sure if the same reviews does everything there, (shouldn't be possible) but they definitely seem to value gameplay and strong stories. I think they will give Horizon a 9.5 or even a perfect score.

They are on metacritic but how do you know what score they might give the game.

They are on metacritic but how do you know what score they might give the game.

Just going by the tone of their reviews I've read. High praised TLG, FF15, GR2, Tales of, etc...Seems to prefer Japanese titles, gameplay focused titles, and are generally pretty forgiving on reviews. I don't see them giving out a ton of 5's or anything. Just a hunch really.

Even edge give a 6, it still hold 88

If Edge gives it a 7 it definitely goes down, I'd argue that with an 8 it'll go down as well, a 9 will turn it up to 89 since is closer to that right know.

I like this Metacritic game while we can't play the game, don't take it away from us/me. -_-

If this hits 90 on metacritic I get to make a sex tape.

msl6h99.gif

RDR has a strong first act and third one, the middle is where it's hit and miss, there're these characters: The graveyard man, the magic potion seller and the drunk, that provides pretty uninteresting quests that belong to the main plot and it's super boring when you you want to do is face Bill Williamson. That part was really boring to me. In mexico starts to get better again but it takes its time.
The Witcher III goes great until you get to Novigrad (don't kill me) and you have to find Dandelion... terribly boring to me, searching to all his girlfriends and stuff... I had to replay the game because I lost my save and when I reached there I literally abandoned it. It picks up again when you reach the last third of the game although the climax is really bland.

Nope.

Nope.

Well considering I stopped playing RDR half way through Mexico, and stopped playing Witcher 3 when I had to track down Dandelion in Novigrad, I'd say you're on to something here.

Wensih

Does this game have an ending or is it the next big franchise set into perpetual motion, i.e. God of War II or Halo II?

This is kind of what I'm predicating my interest on. I'm just not very interested in franchises that are set into perpetual motion by never having a cohesive self contained story.

Edited for clarity. I know this is going to have a sequel.

Well considering I stopped playing RDR half way through Mexico, and stopped playing Witcher 3 when I had to track down Dandelion in Novigrad, I'd say you're on to something here.

I think taking people's attention away from the main point of the plot to do stuff that has absolutely nothing to do with it is a bad decision in any media, the thing with games is that when they do that it takes extra long because everything is longer in games.
Bioshock does this too, although I love the first one but they often close you the path to your objetive and send you on a quest of nothing: Wanna face Ryan? Oh sorry, power is out, go turn it on... in this place that's two maps away full of enemies. Infinite (biggest offender to me because it repeat the same thing that were frustrating in the first one), want to take a ride on this train to reach Comstock? power is out, go get electrical power... that's a whole storyline away with time travel included.

Again, I think is a bad idea, if you decide to do this, do it only for a short period of time unless you completely want to deceived us with what we think is the main point of the plot.

Does this game have an ending or is it the next big franchise set into perpetual motion, i.e. God of War II or Halo II?

This is kind of what I'm predicating my interest on. I'm just not very interested in franchises that are set into perpetual motion by never having a cohesive self contained story.

It is still both. Reviews have pointed out that many questions are answered and it ends on a good note in terms of winding down and completing the narrative that preceded it.

I've never understood why people think the Mexico part of RDR is so bad

"Let's stall the narrative momentum and have you do fetch quests for ten hours for an entirely new set of characters before they give you anything of value". Granted that's an issue with most of Rockstar's open world games, but yeah, Mexico mussions drag.

Giant Bomb Review:

By the end, Horizon comes to a satisfying conclusion in a way that left me feeling like they should probably never make a sequel. It's a near-perfect story that creates a world and also provides meaningful answers about said world. Not to soapbox about it, but games don't do that often enough anymore. The events of Horizon have weight and the game feels less like franchise building and more like a cohesive statement.

Wensih

Giant Bomb Review:
Phew! I'm glad Jeff knows what's up. Thank you for snipping that bit for me; I hadn't had the chance to sit and read reviews, especially to parse for that specific bit of info, but will read the rest of giantbomb's. This addresses my concerns in its entirety.

Phew! I'm glad Jeff knows what's up. Thank you for snipping that bit for me; I hadn't had the chance to sit and read reviews, especially to parse for that specific bit of info, but will read the rest of giantbomb's. This addresses my concerns in its entirety.

Thanks to Loudninja, it's his work. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom