• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon: Zero Dawn | Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Done. Review and render will be up later today.
Glad you see that performance patch going up though it didn't offer a huge change. But still good.

Exclusives images of Karak playing the game for review purposes:

room-of-spirit-time-front.jpg

silva1991

Edit: yeah enough of that it's getting ridiculous lol.

Anyways, I hope I can find steelbook edition where I come from that isn't stupid expensive.

Trogdor1123

Wii U included. Zelda sales vary a lot. TP sold a lot (close to 10 mil if I recall correctly) while SS only sold a couple million.

I'm predicting Horizon around 7 mil and Zelda in the 4 mil range.

I don't care at all personally. My comment was in response to someone saying BotW would overshadow Horizon. Not really possible if Horizon has twice as many players.
Interesting, I don't see horizon getting that high, I was thinking about 4 million. Zelda seems about right to me. Really Good numbers for both imo.

Servbot24

Banned
Interesting, I don't see horizon getting that high, I was thinking about 4 million. Zelda seems about right to me. Really Good numbers for both imo.

I think Horizon will do great. It has an appealing premise that will catch people's attention at first sight, and it's getting excellent word of mouth.

Zelda sales depend a lot on how Nintendo handles Switch, so it's hard to predict.

Why the hell is Zelda being discussed here?

Jeez, people...

Why not? Making comparisons is a foundation of having discussions.

Patapwn

I don't want to join any bickering but just feedback on sales-speculation (always fun):
Horizon, this first one, has no hope of outselling Zelda BOTW.

Splatoon sold more than Halo 5 apparently and that on the Wii-U with it's terrible install base. Zelda BOTW is the most promising entry in the series since Ocarina of Time. And it being a cross-platform release with it having to largely carry the Switch until fall it will have a superb attachment rate.

But Horizon will sell fantastically. Not just the same as Nintendo's dream game.
Are people really serious with this? Every mainline Zelda is heralded as the second coming, BOTW is not new in this regard. Let's not pretend that it is

Rurunaki

Fresh new franchise being compared to an established IP.. Zelda fans must be legit shook.. seriously though, it takes away from the creators when you compare 2 different games especially these 2 which differ in aesthetics and execution.

Gestault

Splatoon sold more than Halo 5 apparently and that on the Wii-U with it's terrible install base. Zelda BOTW is the most promising entry in the series since Ocarina of Time. And it being a cross-platform release with it having to largely carry the Switch until fall it will have a superb attachment rate.

What's the source on Splatoon vs Halo 5 numbers? I know Splatoon sold exceptionally well, but that sounds off to me. I do think you're right that the sort of "laser focus" of something like a Zelda title in a launch-window is likely to balloon sales above normal expectations.

Horizon is coming to a platform with a huuuge player base, which is why I think it'll do well for a new IP. The super positive reviews won't hurt, either.

reKon

Banned
I think Horizon will do great. It has an appealing premise that will catch people's attention at first sight, and it's getting excellent word of mouth.

Zelda sales depend a lot on how Nintendo handles Switch, so it's hard to predict.

Why not? Making comparisons is a foundation of having discussions.

There's not many necessary comparisons to make here. The only reason why the are being compared is because they are both high quality, exclusive open world games released within a few days of each others on different consoles.

Gameplay wise they differ a lot. There are other open world games much more comparable to Horizon.

Gestault

I saw it stated on Gaf. A hard 4-5 million number was rolling around (Halo 5 is notably down from 4 and any previous entries). Anyways...

The last hard figure I was aware of was Frank O’Connor from 343i saying it had sold 5 million by the three-month mark, which was more than a year ago.

Gestault

Wait why does this come out later in EU?

I still don't get this shit these days

If the localizations for the Euro-zone include spoken language, I can imagine one or two of those divisions taking longer behind the scenes. Sometimes it's just as simple as the distribution/advertising needing to be staggered so it's not such a massive up-front investment.

Servbot24

Banned
There's not many necessary comparisons to make here. The only reason why the are being compared is because they are both high quality, exclusive open world games released within a few days of each others on different consoles.

Gameplay wise they differ a lot. There are other open world games much more comparable to Horizon.

Comparisons don't only need to be made when the 2 entities are a like. In fact that's where they don't need to be made, because it's already obvious. More interesting are comparisons where there is both common ground along with a notable divide.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.

Because they have to translate it into like 5 different languages?

What's the name of the entire world map in Horizon? Spoiler the answer if needed.

Odd question to ask unless you've played the game, because the answer is hella-spoilery.

When describing the regions, though, there's stuff like
the Nora's Sacred Lands, the Carja Sundom... the Collector's Edition map might have a specific name for the total in-game area, but I never encountered one in-game.

What is this random BS about some reviews on MC and then others which seem more mainstream are not included. Honestly this game would have been 90+ if they had included some of the 9s and 10s it has gotten but MC does not includ them on their site. Yes I know it doesn't matter but I am talking about fairness.

Well, Metacritic review the sites they include yearly, to be reviewed you have to apply. Maybe these smaller sites took the time to apply and the others didn't?

No idea how it works but when I worked on a website I had to do that to get our site on MC.

For some unknown reason (to me anyway) retailers like their game releases on a Friday. Maybe they feel as it's close to the weekend it'll garner larger day one sales or something. It should be changed. 3 days of avoiding spoilers is a pain in the ass.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Oh goddamnit. Just got pulled into a 4pm meeting on Tuesday. :(. Was going to be able to duck out early around 3 otherwise.

I feel the two games are linked more by their release than anything else. Sony should have budged when Nintendo announced the date. The reason I paid extra to get it early is so that I can enjoy Horizon fully before zelda. Most people that are buying both won't be able to do that and I am going to assume if you buy both most people will drop Horizon and play zelda and come back to Horizon later which is unfair to it. It's a terrible release date.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom